Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USM basketball 2015-16 season
Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
USM basketball 2015-16 season
With news coming out today about the Tyndall situation, this only leads to the conclusion that next year's basketball season could be worse than this year...and this year was one of our worst in probably 25 years. Granted we only had 1 senior but he was our best scoring option on a team that struggled to score to begin with. 2 other players (Hayes and Millinghaus) have already transfered. With us finishing this past season with 7 or so (I think that's right) scholarship players and now 3 of those are gone, it's going to be slim next year unless we are able to sign around 8 players. At the same time, with more sactions likely soon to come it will make it even harder to get quality recruits to come in. I hope I'm wrong but I feel like we are about to hit rock bottom in basketball just like football did in 2012 (we went 0-12 for those who don't remember)
03-27-2015 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

RE: USM basketball 2015-16 season
It all depends on who bears the brunt 99...

If the athletic dept takes the hit, it's gonna be painful.
If Tyndall takes the hit, it may not be as bad.

We already knew with the investigation looming in itself, we were going to have a couple of really bad years. It remains to see where the rest of it goes.

Quote: this year was one of our worst in probably 25 years

one of the worst? It's been our worst season since 1984 (7-21 that year). It was even worse than our 2004 and 2005 seasons (LE's first seasons, where we won 11 and 10 games).
03-27-2015 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2015 11:16 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  It all depends on who bears the brunt 99...

We already knew with the investigation looming in itself, we were going to have a couple of really bad years. It remains to see where the rest of it goes.

Quote: this year was one of our worst in probably 25 years

one of the worst? It's been our worst season since 1984 (7-21 that year). It was even worse than our 2004 and 2005 seasons (LE's first seasons, where we won 11 and 10 games).

Thanks for verifying. I couldn't remember if it was that bad during James Green's last 2 years or not. I started following USM around 1990 so that's why I was going with one of the worst in 25 years.
03-27-2015 11:37 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
They shouldn't pin any of this on USM, this was all Tyndall. What a slime ball. USM and Marshall seem to be in the same boat - trying to get back on track. Although USM has a history of consistently being good.
03-27-2015 11:50 AM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

Speaking of roster spots for USM and it got me to thinking about a topic that's been brought up a lot which is players following coaches when coaches leave 1 school for another. The 1 player that sticks in my mind is at current freshman at UT names Willie Carmichael. He was suppose to be one of DT's best recruits and had comitted to USM. When DT left for UT, Carmichael followed suit and went to Tennesee "that's where Coach Tyndall will be for several years and I want to play for him". Now fast forward almost 11 months later and Carmichael is at UT but Tyndall now isn't. To a degree you hate it for the kid but at the same time you should know by now that coaches come and go....hence DT only being at USM for 2 years
03-27-2015 01:40 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(03-27-2015 11:16 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  It all depends on who bears the brunt 99...

Agreed. Having an investigation hanging over the program and not knowing what's going to happen may be worse for the program than the actual penalties will be.

Best case, we vacate some wins, get some kind of reprimand & "we've got our eyes on you" probation, and move on without too many lingering effects.

Worst case...eh, I don't really even want to think about that.
03-27-2015 01:53 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

And today it's been reported that our best returning player, Matt Bingaya, has been granted his release. I realize he is just one player but with the upcoming sanctions from the DT situation, this upcoming season is getting worse and worse (and this past season ended less than a month ago)
04-28-2015 03:28 PM
Advertisement

NanoDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: LaTech
I feel terribly sorry for USM. CUSA needs a strong USM.
04-28-2015 03:43 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Whole new team next year. Complete overhaul. Rebuilding will be a process.
04-28-2015 03:50 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

The only players left from the Tyndall era are walk-ons Norville Carey and Jamie Chapman.
04-29-2015 09:38 AM
Advertisement

BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
(04-28-2015 03:50 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Whole new team next year. Complete overhaul. Rebuilding will be a process.

I wish USM had a coach like Jerod Haase. I'm concerned that your coach will overdo the JUCO option. That seems to be his MO
04-29-2015 11:53 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(04-29-2015 11:53 AM)BoKnows Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 03:50 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Whole new team next year. Complete overhaul. Rebuilding will be a process.

I wish USM had a coach like Jerod Haase. I'm concerned that your coach will overdo the JUCO option. That seems to be his MO

With the pending sanctions, trying to sell USM is like trying to sell a **** sandwich right now. I'll cut him some slack.
04-29-2015 12:03 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-27-2015 01:40 PM)usm99 Wrote:  Speaking of roster spots for USM and it got me to thinking about a topic that's been brought up a lot which is players following coaches when coaches leave 1 school for another. The 1 player that sticks in my mind is at current freshman at UT names Willie Carmichael. He was suppose to be one of DT's best recruits and had comitted to USM. When DT left for UT, Carmichael followed suit and went to Tennesee "that's where Coach Tyndall will be for several years and I want to play for him". Now fast forward almost 11 months later and Carmichael is at UT but Tyndall now isn't. To a degree you hate it for the kid but at the same time you should know by now that coaches come and go....hence DT only being at USM for 2 years

this is one facet regarding 'the millenials' that one would think they should easily relate to....I could extrapolate that point over various chapters in life....it's easy to get sucked into a belief pattern living certain chapters.....

today's current selling point is 'pot o' gold'....go figure....it's like trying to catch fish on opening day with some....

they're young kids that are easily manipulated.....just like a fan base that is trying to recover....
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 12:30 PM by stinkfist.)
04-29-2015 12:20 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

that schema is all we have now.....and it has worked in the past...pretty smart move IMO...

if missippy was located in the region of basketball gods, we might have other options....

is the same pisser of the problem regarding football regarding our current lack of success....
04-29-2015 12:23 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

It's difficult to get anyone else to play at USM. USM basketball is a remarkably tough sell to recruits.
04-29-2015 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.