Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Andy Katz - After taking major league heat, Pastner may be looking elsewhere
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
MyBB Andy Katz - After taking major league heat, Pastner may be looking elsewhere
Arizona State is a huge downgrade but Pastner might be looking for a way out at Memphis. Hes been getting killed all season in the press (with articles expressly stating that maybe it's best that he go) and by the fans. Every word of his, every act, now brings some sort of snide comment from some sector. Gary Parrish said that it's all taken a toll, not just on him, but also on his wife. Too bad really, Pastner is a great guy. Couldn't find a better human being. But this isn't working for him at Memphis. Pastner played for Arizona. I hope he gets the job.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...erson-meet

...ASU was 18-16 overall this season, 9-9 in the Pac-12 and lost at Richmond in overtime in the second round of the NIT after winning at UConn.

If the Sun Devils move on Sendek, a number of names have already emerged as possible candidates, including Memphis coach Josh Pastner
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:01 AM by Tigers2B1.)
03-24-2015 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: Andy Katz - After taking major league heat, Pastner may be looking elsewhere
Since Pastner was hired, the Memphis job has become a plum job with your new conference affiliation. I think there would be no shortage of great candidates.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:05 AM by BigEastHomer.)
03-24-2015 10:04 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Andy Katz - After taking major league heat, Pastner may be looking elsewhere
I like the idea of Archie Miller at ASU.

Miller brothers battling it out in Arizona. 04-chairshot
03-24-2015 10:11 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-24-2015 10:04 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Since Pastner was hired, the Memphis job has become a plum job with your new conference affiliation. I think there would be no shortage of great candidates.

That doesn't seem to the consensus among the fans and sport radio hosts here. The feeling is that the new P5 rules and widening money gap will make once desirable G5 jobs, like Memphis, a more risky proposition. That it will be less likely, not more, that a proven candidate would select Memphis now than say 3 or 4 years ago. This also seems to be the growing consensus on the Memphis Board.
03-24-2015 10:14 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
the tv contract is very good, the money for the league will come, other schools need to step up because the dominoes are in place.
all the former big east schools need to step up large. the memphis job is good , i never liked pastner his cali type attitude imo was wrong for the tigers. i wish pastner would leave, money will be an issue so it may take Another year or two.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:42 AM by Stookey57.)
03-24-2015 10:28 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-24-2015 10:14 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 10:04 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Since Pastner was hired, the Memphis job has become a plum job with your new conference affiliation. I think there would be no shortage of great candidates.

That doesn't seem to the consensus among the fans and sport radio hosts here. The feeling is that the new P5 rules and widening money gap will make once desirable G5 jobs, like Memphis, a more risky proposition. That it will be less likely, not more, that a proven candidate would select Memphis now than say 3 or 4 years ago. This also seems to be the growing consensus on the Memphis Board.

Houston landed Kelvin Sampson. Do you mean to tell me that Houston can bring in a top quality coach but Memphis can't. It wouldn't have happened if we weren't playing UCONN (Ollie), UC (Cronin), Memphis (Pastner), Temple (Dunphy), SMU (Brown), etc. Frank Haith went from the SEC to the AAC. The coaching job he did in their first year in the new conference speaks to that quality hire. The Manhattan coach, Pitino' protégé, was chomping at the bit for the USF job.

I think that Memphis will do just fine. There's a lot of paranoia that comes with being situated near the heart of SEC (aka "P5" football) country.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:34 AM by BigEastHomer.)
03-24-2015 10:29 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Pastner knows he's got a divided fan base, where half are calling for his head.

1.5 million for 4-5 years is 6-7.5 million

2.65 million for 1 year is still 2.65 million

I wouldn't blame him for making the jump...but it's not gonna happen.

if Memphis wants Pastner gone, they will have to pay every penny on that contract.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:41 AM by UofMemphis.)
03-24-2015 10:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-24-2015 10:29 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Houston landed Kelvin Sampson. Do you mean to tell me that Houston can bring in a top quality coach but Memphis can't. It wouldn't have happened if we weren't playing UCONN (Ollie), UC (Cronin), Memphis (Pastner), Temple (Dunphy), SMU (Brown), etc. Frank Haith went from the SEC to the AAC. The coaching job he did in their first year in the new conference speaks to that quality hire. The Manhattan coach, Pitino' protégé, was chomping at the bit for the USF job.

I think that Memphis will do just fine. There's a lot of paranoia that comes with being situated near the heart of SEC (aka "P5" football) country.

No slight to Houston but I do think "great coach" here is a reletive term. Recall that Memphis actually offered Calipari more money than Kentucky. That Pastner, with his record, is making 2.65 million. But I'm not alone here. The Memphis Board thread on this from a few days ago. It's 26 pages so grab a sandwich or something ->

http://csnbbs.com/thread-731109.html
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:45 AM by Tigers2B1.)
03-24-2015 10:43 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(03-24-2015 10:11 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  I like the idea of Archie Miller at ASU.

Miller brothers battling it out in Arizona. 04-chairshot

From Herb Sendek to Archie Miller, that would be an interesting storyline.
03-24-2015 10:46 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I would be estatic if I was a Memphis fan and ASu grabbed Pastner.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:49 AM by Bearcats#1.)
03-24-2015 10:48 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
When Memphis hired Calipari he came with baggage just like Sampson did.. and Calipari took Memphis to a title game, and is doing the same for Kentucky.
The term "great coach" is subjective. Everyone thought Anthony Grant was a great coach at VCU, and Bama just fired him.
Sampson has won everywhere he has been. What are you looking for, if not a winning coach?
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:50 AM by BigEastHomer.)
03-24-2015 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-24-2015 10:45 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 10:43 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  

No slight to Houston but I do think "great coach" here is a reletive term. Recall that Memphis actually offered Calipari more money than Kentucky. That Pastner, with his record, is making 2.75 million. But I'm not alone here. The Memphis Board thread on this from a few days ago. It's 26 pages so grab a sandwich or something ->

so you think a thread on a message board is proof Pastner is leaving?....wow...that's special.

Are you even reading the posts anymore?
03-24-2015 10:51 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-24-2015 10:51 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 10:45 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 10:43 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 10:14 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  That doesn't seem to the consensus among the fans and sport radio hosts here. The feeling is that the new P5 rules and widening money gap will make once desirable G5 jobs, like Memphis, a more risky proposition. That it will be less likely, not more, that a proven candidate would select Memphis now than say 3 or 4 years ago. This also seems to be the growing consensus on the Memphis Board.

No slight to Houston but I do think "great coach" here is a reletive term. Recall that Memphis actually offered Calipari more money than Kentucky. That Pastner, with his record, is making 2.75 million. But I'm not alone here. The Memphis Board thread on this from a few days ago. It's 26 pages so grab a sandwich or something ->

so you think a thread on a message board is proof Pastner is leaving?....wow...that's special.

Are you even reading the posts anymore?

nope...I don't care for the opinion of others...I'm here to lead you into the warmth and light of my always correct facts.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:56 AM by UofMemphis.)
03-24-2015 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
03-24-2015 11:13 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(03-24-2015 10:48 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I would be estatic if I was a Memphis fan and ASu grabbed Pastner.
AGREED....03-hissyfit03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead
03-24-2015 11:17 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-24-2015 11:13 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Local paper picking this up ->

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/t...-state-job

could it actually be true?

[Image: tumblr_m1csufIvmf1ql3qzno1_500.gif]
03-24-2015 11:19 AM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Andy Katz - After taking major league heat, Pastner may be looking elsewhere
If Pastner goes, does he take the Lawsons with him?
03-24-2015 11:24 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(03-24-2015 11:24 AM)CalallenStang Wrote:  If Pastner goes, does he take the Lawsons with him?

They're loyal to Memphis, not Pastner...besides, they've signed LOIs
03-24-2015 11:31 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-24-2015 11:19 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 11:13 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Local paper picking this up ->

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/t...-state-job

could it actually be true?

Yep, even the school newspaper is on this one. Sounds like lots of folks are trying to push this rumor into the realm of reality.

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/news/view.p...or-Arizona
03-24-2015 11:36 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(03-24-2015 11:24 AM)CalallenStang Wrote:  If Pastner goes, does he take the Lawsons with him?

No lol, they are Memphis kids who played AAU ball for Penny Hardaway
03-24-2015 11:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.