Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

MooState & Memphis similar situations?
Bookmark and Share
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB MooState & Memphis similar situations?
The general consensus is that Josh Pastner will be here next year if he wants to be. We've all heard some powers want him gone, other powers want to give him another year - think firing a guy after "one bad season" is a bad look. Whether you agree with that or not, it looks like that's the way Memphis will go.

But what is happening at Mississippi State is very interesting and in a way STR - or I'll make it STR somehow.

- State hired a guy to clean up the program after their other candidates said "no thanks"...similar to Memphis back in 09...though not the exact same situation.

- State fires coach prematurely in most people's eyes - he had done what he had been asked to do, except win. In a way that's similar to Josh - he's done a lot to off the court, but hasn't had stellar results on the court (obviously Memphis and State have different standards for success on the court, but relatively speaking...similar situations)

- State takes a beating for a few days from national media, but now the narrative has changed. Strickland is being praised for a tough decision and a savvy hire. All is well...

Point being, I get that it could "look bad for business" if we fired Josh. There might be some backlash from media outlets, but if we have a plan and make a solid hire, all the noise would turn into praise.

I realize nothing is going to happen (most likely) but if the only reason we hold onto a coach we will likely fire in a year unless he gets to the S16 is b/c of how it could be perceived by the media...I say don't sweat it. The fickle media will come around.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 08:57 PM by HometownTiger.)
03-23-2015 08:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigergg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-23-2015 08:53 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  The general consensus is that Josh Pastner will be here next year if he wants to be. We've all heard some powers want him gone, other powers want to give him another year - think firing a guy after "one bad season" is a bad look. Whether you agree with that or not, it looks like that's the way Memphis will go.

But what is happening at Mississippi State is very interesting and in a way STR - or I'll make it STR somehow.

- State hired a guy to clean up the program after their other candidates said "no thanks"...similar to Memphis back in 09...though not the exact same situation.

- State fires coach prematurely in most people's eyes - he had done what he had been asked to do, except win. In a way that's similar to Josh - he's done a lot to off the court, but hasn't had stellar results on the court (obviously Memphis and State have different standards for success on the court, but relatively speaking...similar situations)

- State takes a beating for a few days from national media, but now the narrative has changed. Strickland is being praised for a tough decision and a savvy hire. All is well...

Point being, I get that it could "look bad for business" if we fired Josh. There might be some backlash from media outlets, but if we have a plan and make a solid hire, all the noise would turn into praise.

I realize nothing is going to happen (most likely) but if the only reason we hold onto a coach we will likely fire in a year unless he gets to the S16 is b/c of how it could be perceived by the media...I say don't sweat it. The fickle media will come around.

I agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-23-2015 09:26 PM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Sunshinepumpers
RE: MooState & Memphis similar situations?
(03-23-2015 08:53 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  The general consensus is that Josh Pastner will be here next year if he wants to be. We've all heard some powers want him gone, other powers want to give him another year - think firing a guy after "one bad season" is a bad look. Whether you agree with that or not, it looks like that's the way Memphis will go.

Very nice and educated post.
03-23-2015 09:30 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
The AD/PRESIDENT doesn't understand the concept of opportunity cost.
03-23-2015 09:35 PM
tigers311 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Truth
I don't think the media care about us all that much.
03-23-2015 09:57 PM
John44932 Offline
Special Teams

I don't think the media really matters. I would guess it is money. Yeah, the boosters have lots of money, but that doesn't mean they want to spend it so carelessly. We are in a bad long term deal, and may just have to ride it out for some time.

Think back to when Cal left. We were the only team with 4 30 win seasons in a row with 1 Sweet Sixteen, 2 Elite Eights, and a runner up to National Champion. We had a loaded recruiting class coming in. I know he said money wasn't an issue, but I think we only offered to match Kentucky. If there was ever time to spend some money, then that was it.

I don't know much the boosters really care about basketball. I remember we were told about a "wow" hire. Yeah, we got Josh Pastner. I guess that is a "wow" hire.
03-23-2015 10:22 PM
Advertisement

tigerderek Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2015 10:22 PM)John44932 Wrote:  I don't think the media really matters. I would guess it is money. Yeah, the boosters have lots of money, but that doesn't mean they want to spend it so carelessly. We are in a bad long term deal, and may just have to ride it out for some time.

Think back to when Cal left. We were the only team with 4 30 win seasons in a row with 1 Sweet Sixteen, 2 Elite Eights, and a runner up to National Champion. We had a loaded recruiting class coming in. I know he said money wasn't an issue, but I think we only offered to match Kentucky. If there was ever time to spend some money, then that was it.

I don't know much the boosters really care about basketball. I remember we were told about a "wow" hire. Yeah, we got Josh Pastner. I guess that is a "wow" hire.

I don't know how much but it was more than ky's offer...of course we all know money had nothing to do with it.
03-23-2015 10:29 PM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

That last pastner contract was a botched one no doubt.
03-23-2015 10:32 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(03-23-2015 08:53 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  State fires coach prematurely in most people's eyes - he had done what he had been asked to do, except win. In a way that's similar to Josh...

So, you believe Rick Ray's 37-60 record over the past 3 years is similar to Josh's
73-29?

Now, take the first part of your sentence again; if most people believe a guy that went 37-60 in the past 3 years was fired prematurely, how idiotic is it to think the guy that just went 73-29 should be fired?

Think about it.

This should conclude any further attempts at comparing Rick Ray to Josh Pastner.
03-23-2015 10:38 PM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

Lol rick ray,he couldn't hold pasters strap! Now that's saying something.
03-23-2015 10:40 PM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

I want a coaching change as well preferably next season (although it won't happen) but the original post in this thread is ludicrous. There's no comparison in records, making the tourney and actually winning a couple of games.
03-24-2015 12:48 AM
Advertisement

BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(03-24-2015 12:48 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  I want a coaching change as well preferably next season (although it won't happen) but the original post in this thread is ludicrous. There's no comparison in records, making the tourney and actually winning a couple of games.

I think you’re missing the OP’s point.

It’s not about the numbers it’s about the AD firing the coach after 3 seasons and initially taking heat for it. Now many detractors are now saying it was the right thing to do.

This same argument has been going on in Memphis with some saying firing Pastner would be viewed as negative and others saying he has reached his ceiling and it’s time for a change if we are to reach a higher level.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 02:06 AM by BealeStreetTiger.)
03-24-2015 02:04 AM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

I think most everyone here is missing the real point.
Joshua has more money in his lock box than any of you experts will probably ever see in your entire lifetime.
He is set for his future, his children's future, and their children's future.
You can't possibly fire him.
You can only set him free to explore new opportunities.

So bark on if you must but you are only hurting yourself.
03-24-2015 02:40 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

(03-24-2015 02:40 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  I think most everyone here is missing the real point.
Joshua has more money in his lock box than any of you experts will probably ever see in your entire lifetime.
He is set for his future, his children's future, and their children's future.
You can't possibly fire him.
You can only set him free to explore new opportunities.

So bark on if you must but you are only hurting yourself.

Yep. He isn't leaving unless he wants to this season
03-24-2015 02:43 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

I want Pastner gone in the worse way, but also know he'll be here next year if he still wants to be, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. Another mediocre year is what's expected, therefore, I will not be surprised when it happens. Excitement gone.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 07:44 AM by wylioats.)
03-24-2015 07:42 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

The OP's comparison loses validity beyond the timeframe of hiring & firing. Nothing similar about the performance of JP & the MSU coach. JP is in top 10 territory in wins for a new head coach over 6 years & the MSU coach near the bottom. I believe JP is showing his limitations as a coach which will prevent our Tigers from reaching the tourney levels we all want but comparing his status & the decisions of the Memphis Admin versus the decisions MSU made is an invalid non-starter. And to fire JP now would be very bad for the Memphis admin rep in the eyes of potential candidates & the general sports public. JP has the player tools for next year to be very good, if he fails, if folks don't buy tickets & if there aren't extenuating circumstances, then yes start lookng for a new coach.
03-24-2015 08:16 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

- State fires coach prematurely in most people's eyes - he had done what he had been asked to do, except win.

Disagree.

There was a reason why Miss St was only paying Rick Ray $1 Million...because he wasn't ever going to be a long-term solution for MSU.

Then once you look at his conf play record (13-41, .241 winning percentage), with all the $$$ MSU finally threw at their basketball program (brand new basketball practice facility, new arena upgrades, etc...), it was only a matter of time before they hired someone new...and for good reasons.
03-24-2015 08:23 AM
MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
(03-24-2015 07:42 AM)wylioats Wrote:  I want Pastner gone in the worse way, but also know he'll be here next year if he still wants to be, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. Another mediocre year is what's expected, therefore, I will not be surprised when it happens. Excitement gone.

This. I will have 0 expectations of success for this program as long as he is here. Watching the NCAA tournament makes me realize just how far we have fallen and how far we are from competing at that level.
03-24-2015 09:16 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-23-2015 10:22 PM)John44932 Wrote:  I don't think the media really matters. I would guess it is money. Yeah, the boosters have lots of money, but that doesn't mean they want to spend it so carelessly. We are in a bad long term deal, and may just have to ride it out for some time.

Calipari was offered far more than Kentucky to stay. He knew the letter was going to sink him if he stayed so no amount of money could have kept thin here. he was looking for a job during the season to a point that he visited Arizona but their salary was far less so he didn't take it. Our boosters did their best to get him to stay. His response was to get us to hire Barbee.
03-24-2015 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-23-2015 10:38 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 08:53 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  State fires coach prematurely in most people's eyes - he had done what he had been asked to do, except win. In a way that's similar to Josh...

So, you believe Rick Ray's 37-60 record over the past 3 years is similar to Josh's
73-29?

Now, take the first part of your sentence again; if most people believe a guy that went 37-60 in the past 3 years was fired prematurely, how idiotic is it to think the guy that just went 73-29 should be fired?

Think about it.

This should conclude any further attempts at comparing Rick Ray to Josh Pastner.

How well do you think Pastner fairs at Moo State...

Against better competition with much less talent than he has had at Memphis.
03-24-2015 09:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.