Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall Football
Bookmark and Share
MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Marshall Football
What do you guys return for the 2015 season ? Can you talk about the guys in line to replace Rakeem Cato?
03-23-2015 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Marshall Football
Gunnar Holcolmbe - last year's backup, saw playing time in 9 games in 4th quarter mop up duty. He'll be a RS Jr.

Michael Birdsong - transfer from JMU where he started for the last year and a half. Left for Marshall when they got a new head coach who changed the scheme. Big kid, 6'5", 235. Big arm, more mobile than you would think.

Cole Garvin - RS Fr.

Chase Litton - Fr who is here for spring ball. 6'6", 215. Most think he's the future, but they all are until you see them play. His tape is very good.

Most believe it's between Birdsong and Litton (because of his film). Personally, I think it's between Birdsong and Holcombe. Birdsong ran the scout team all last year while sitting out due to transfer. I saw him in several practices and he has a Leftwich type arm, i.e. He can throw a 30 yard out like a frozen rope. He threw too many interceptions at JMU is the only knock. Was a gunslinger, don't know if that can be changed.

As far as the rest of the offense, all RBs are back, we lost Shuler at WR, but that position is loaded. We return 2 RS So in McManus and Jean Louis that had productive first years, Allen is back and he was killing it on the outside before an injury, Foster replaces Shuler and he had a great fr season backing up Tommy. TE will be So Yurachek. He played extensively last year behind Fronaphal, who graduated. Offensive line lost two key players but returns 3 starters and 4 others that saw action in at least 10 games. We had some injuries last year, and some blow outs, so the backups saw a lot of action. Biggest loss is Jasperse at center, Selby will slide over from guard to play center this year.

Defense we lost three starters on the Dline, with Rouse as the biggest lose. The good thing is that we rotated 9 on the line last year and generally no one played more than 40 snaps. We add a transfer from UCF who was starting for them as a true freshman. LBer took a huge hit as both Holmes and Hewitt graduated. We pick up a transfer from Maryland that sat out last year and have Hunter back. Also, McKelvey should be back, lost him to an ACL in the ODU game. The only loss in the defensive backfield is Roberts. That's a big loss as he was our boundary corner and we always left him on an island. Will probably move Tindal to the boundary for this season.

Overall I think we will still be very athletic with a ton of speed, but we will need some guys to step up and fill the shoes of guys we lost. I think most Herd fans would tell you that we expect to win 9-10 games, just won't see the margin of victory we had last year. If we get good QB play we should be in the hunt for the east again.
03-23-2015 03:44 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
You'd think Birdsong played in every game last year as any times as announcers called his name because the number on offense matched the number on defense. "Tackle made by ...Birdsong."

lol

I think he had the same number as Holmes, maybe, or someone of that caliber.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 05:30 PM by MUther.)
03-23-2015 05:29 PM
bonegreen Offline
2nd String

The four Fr WRs were on the field at the same time a few snaps. All had multiple TDs last yr. (One is a TE..Yurachek). The back up QB will have been thru 7 camps when season starts and my opinion its even money between him and Birdsong. We also are getting help in the interior DL from three bigs who sat out last yr. We played the 4-2-5 a lot last yr and as posted above 4 of the 5 secondary players return. Birdsong did throw 3 TDs vs Akron 2013 so that coupled with running the scout team every day vs the #1 D 2014 gives me some hope. We have two proven LBs back in McElvey and Hunter plus another one that played a good bit 2013 but was beat out by a new player last yr. Rounding out the position is the Maryland transfer who also stood out on the scout team and has drawn praise from Doc. Most of the inner circle fans are very upbeat.
03-23-2015 05:38 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-23-2015 03:44 PM)banker Wrote:  Most believe it's between Birdsong and Litton (because of his film). Personally, I think it's between Birdsong and Holcombe. Birdsong ran the scout team all last year while sitting out due to transfer. I saw him in several practices and he has a Leftwich type arm, i.e. He can throw a 30 yard out like a frozen rope. He threw too many interceptions at JMU is the only knock. Was a gunslinger, don't know if that can be changed.

I hope Litton gets a RS year but think he will be poised to take the position in 2016. He is a little like Cato coming into Marshall in his body has no development at all.

I think this year it will come down to Holcombe and Birdsong. And I wouldn't count Gunner out of winning the job. The kid done as much as he could in garbage time last year. He never really had a chance to show what him might be able to do because he was in there just to run the clock out and not try and score. The few throws he had, some were really impressive.

At this point unless he shows some real improvement in the spring I think Cole Garvin is the odd man out and may look to drop down and transfer to a IAA or even DII school in the fall.

(03-23-2015 05:29 PM)MUther Wrote:  You'd think Birdsong played in every game last year as any times as announcers called his name because the number on offense matched the number on defense. "Tackle made by ...Birdsong."

lol

Michael Birdsong and James Rouse both had #11 last year. I got so frustrated at Jim Donnan calling the USM game, he called Rouse Birdsong almost the entire game.

(03-23-2015 05:38 PM)bonegreen Wrote:  The four Fr WRs were on the field at the same time a few snaps. All had multiple TDs last yr. (One is a TE..Yurachek). The back up QB will have been thru 7 camps when season starts and my opinion its even money between him and Birdsong. We also are getting help in the interior DL from three bigs who sat out last yr. We played the 4-2-5 a lot last yr and as posted above 4 of the 5 secondary players return. Birdsong did throw 3 TDs vs Akron 2013 so that coupled with running the scout team every day vs the #1 D 2014 gives me some hope. We have two proven LBs back in McElvey and Hunter plus another one that played a good bit 2013 but was beat out by a new player last yr. Rounding out the position is the Maryland transfer who also stood out on the scout team and has drawn praise from Doc. Most of the inner circle fans are very upbeat.

We also have Blake Keller eligible now, a FUC transfer at LB. He was named UCF player of the year in 2013, his freshman year. He will have 3 years to play at Marshall.
03-23-2015 06:02 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
How many of your O line are back. I thought they were really good last year.
03-23-2015 08:08 PM
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(03-23-2015 08:08 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  How many of your O line are back. I thought they were really good last year.

return 3 starters plus 4 others that saw regular action. Have to replace the center though.
03-23-2015 08:16 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: Marshall Football
The way Doc has built this program with depth, I fully expect us to win the East again and play in the CUSA Championship game.
03-23-2015 08:41 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't say we should expect to win the east, but I certainly think we can compete heavily for it. Road games at Middle and WKU will be tough.
03-23-2015 09:38 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2015 08:16 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  Have to replace the center though.

Michael Selby will be in at center, he is just as mean and nasty as Jasperse was. Then we have RS freshman Nate Deivers who was the #7 center in the 2014 class.

I expect our offense to be just as good as it was under Cato, we may not be as explosive and will have to play to the new QB strengths. But at skill positions the RBs are intact. We lost Shuler, Wilkins and Allen, but that's it.

Our defense could be just as good and will be much deeper than last year. We don't have one player in defense usually play more than 30 snaps a game so we have plenty of guys with experience. I think the most snaps anyone played last year was Antavios Roe who played 42 downs in the champion game.
03-23-2015 09:44 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(03-23-2015 09:44 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Michael Selby will be in at center, he is just as mean and nasty as Jasperse was. Then we have RS freshman Nate Deivers who was the #7 center in the 2014 class.

I expect our offense to be just as good as it was under Cato, we may not be as explosive and will have to play to the new QB strengths. But at skill positions the RBs are intact. We lost Shuler, Wilkins and Allen, but that's it.

Our defense could be just as good and will be much deeper than last year. We don't have one player in defense usually play more than 30 snaps a game so we have plenty of guys with experience. I think the most snaps anyone played last year was Antavios Roe who played 42 downs in the champion game.

Allen's back
03-23-2015 10:08 PM
Advertisement

lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

(03-23-2015 05:29 PM)MUther Wrote:  You'd think Birdsong played in every game last year as any times as announcers called his name because the number on offense matched the number on defense. "Tackle made by ...Birdsong."

lol

hahahah you're right. There were a few other names like that as well.
03-23-2015 10:28 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2015 10:08 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  Allen's back

My fingers typed Allen when my brain and mind knew I was talking about Demetrius Evans.
03-23-2015 10:45 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
(03-23-2015 03:44 PM)banker Wrote:  Gunnar Holcolmbe - last year's backup, saw playing time in 9 games in 4th quarter mop up duty. He'll be a RS Jr.

Michael Birdsong - transfer from JMU where he started for the last year and a half. Left for Marshall when they got a new head coach who changed the scheme. Big kid, 6'5", 235. Big arm, more mobile than you would think.

Cole Garvin - RS Fr.

Chase Litton - Fr who is here for spring ball. 6'6", 215. Most think he's the future, but they all are until you see them play. His tape is very good.

Most believe it's between Birdsong and Litton (because of his film). Personally, I think it's between Birdsong and Holcombe. Birdsong ran the scout team all last year while sitting out due to transfer. I saw him in several practices and he has a Leftwich type arm, i.e. He can throw a 30 yard out like a frozen rope. He threw too many interceptions at JMU is the only knock. Was a gunslinger, don't know if that can be changed.

As far as the rest of the offense, all RBs are back, we lost Shuler at WR, but that position is loaded. We return 2 RS So in McManus and Jean Louis that had productive first years, Allen is back and he was killing it on the outside before an injury, Foster replaces Shuler and he had a great fr season backing up Tommy. TE will be So Yurachek. He played extensively last year behind Fronaphal, who graduated. Offensive line lost two key players but returns 3 starters and 4 others that saw action in at least 10 games. We had some injuries last year, and some blow outs, so the backups saw a lot of action. Biggest loss is Jasperse at center, Selby will slide over from guard to play center this year.

Defense we lost three starters on the Dline, with Rouse as the biggest lose. The good thing is that we rotated 9 on the line last year and generally no one played more than 40 snaps. We add a transfer from UCF who was starting for them as a true freshman. LBer took a huge hit as both Holmes and Hewitt graduated. We pick up a transfer from Maryland that sat out last year and have Hunter back. Also, McKelvey should be back, lost him to an ACL in the ODU game. The only loss in the defensive backfield is Roberts. That's a big loss as he was our boundary corner and we always left him on an island. Will probably move Tindal to the boundary for this season.

Overall I think we will still be very athletic with a ton of speed, but we will need some guys to step up and fill the shoes of guys we lost. I think most Herd fans would tell you that we expect to win 9-10 games, just won't see the margin of victory we had last year. If we get good QB play we should be in the hunt for the east again.

Good summary. I would add Yurachek was better than Frohnapel, and I think Roberts (our CB) was our biggest loss on defense. Cato most certainly on offense. Foster may be an upgrade to shuler actually as well, and of course, big daddy Devon Johnson back at RB with Butler still there as well. We are loaded, minus the ? at QB, which we all know makes all the difference.
03-23-2015 11:18 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
(03-23-2015 08:41 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  The way Doc has built this program with depth, I fully expect us to win the East again and play in the CUSA Championship game.

Until i see our QB play, I would slot WKU as the favorite to win the east. Some of you seem to be underestimating the importance of the QB position. How quickly we forget how it had been about a decade between leftwich (and winning) and Cato (winning) with a whole lot of losing in between and a whole lot of mediocre QBs that had alot to do with it. (Not taking anything away from Snyder, he deserves credit there too...)
03-23-2015 11:26 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2015 11:26 PM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  How quickly we forget how it had been about a decade between leftwich (and winning) and Cato (winning) with a whole lot of losing in between and a whole lot of mediocre QBs that had alot to do with it. (Not taking anything away from Snyder, he deserves credit there too...)

Stan Hill would have been in the NFL had he not tore his knee up in the Tennessee game.

Bernard Morris should have never had to split time with Jimmy Skinner. If he would have played full time he would have def. overtaken Michael Payton's numbers and most likey pushed for Byron's.

AJ Grahm had NFL Talent written all over him and would have kept Cato on the bench until he was a Jr. had he loved football more than weed at the time.

Also I would have loved to have seen Mark Cann with a proper QB coach. The guy had it all at 6'4 232 pounds and a Cannon for an arm.

Its not that we haven't had good to great QBs in between Leftwich and Cato, we have. But for them they were unlucky for some reason or another, if it be injury, not used correctly or just didn't have their head on straight.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 11:52 PM by HerdZoned.)
03-23-2015 11:50 PM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(03-23-2015 11:50 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 11:26 PM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  How quickly we forget how it had been about a decade between leftwich (and winning) and Cato (winning) with a whole lot of losing in between and a whole lot of mediocre QBs that had alot to do with it. (Not taking anything away from Snyder, he deserves credit there too...)

Stan Hill would have been in the NFL had he not tore his knee up in the Tennessee game.

Bernard Morris should have never had to split time with Jimmy Skinner. If he would have played full time he would have def. overtaken Michael Payton's numbers and most likey pushed for Byron's.

AJ Grahm had NFL Talent written all over him and would have kept Cato on the bench until he was a Jr. had he loved football more than weed at the time.

Also I would have loved to have seen Mark Cann with a proper QB coach. The guy had it all at 6'4 232 pounds and a Cannon for an arm.

Its not that we haven't had good to great QBs in between Leftwich and Cato, we have. But for them they were unlucky for some reason or another, if it be injury, not used correctly or just didn't have their head on straight.

Don't forget Derek Devine who made an NFL roster and never played a down for us. Such squandered opportunities for a damn decade.
03-24-2015 01:22 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

(03-23-2015 03:44 PM)banker Wrote:  Gunnar Holcolmbe - last year's backup, saw playing time in 9 games in 4th quarter mop up duty. He'll be a RS Jr.

Cole Garvin - RS Fr.

Roberts was the boundary corner correct, but that means he played on the shorter side of the field. The field corner is on the island and that should be Baxter this year unless we move him to the boundary
03-24-2015 03:17 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

(03-23-2015 06:02 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(03-23-2015 03:44 PM)banker Wrote:  Most believe it's between Birdsong and Litton (because of his film). Personally, I think it's between Birdsong and Holcombe. Birdsong ran the scout team all last year while sitting out due to transfer. I saw him in several practices and he has a Leftwich type arm, i.e. He can throw a 30 yard out like a frozen rope. He threw too many interceptions at JMU is the only knock. Was a gunslinger, don't know if that can be changed.

I hope Litton gets a RS year but think he will be poised to take the position in 2016. He is a little like Cato coming into Marshall in his body has no development at all.

I think this year it will come down to Holcombe and Birdsong. And I wouldn't count Gunner out of winning the job. The kid done as much as he could in garbage time last year. He never really had a chance to show what him might be able to do because he was in there just to run the clock out and not try and score. The few throws he had, some were really impressive.

At this point unless he shows some real improvement in the spring I think Cole Garvin is the odd man out and may look to drop down and transfer to a IAA or even DII school in the fall.

lol

Michael Birdsong and James Rouse both had #11 last year. I got so frustrated at Jim Donnan calling the USM game, he called Rouse Birdsong almost the entire game.

(03-23-2015 05:38 PM)bonegreen Wrote:  The four Fr WRs were on the field at the same time a few snaps. All had multiple TDs last yr. (One is a TE..Yurachek). The back up QB will have been thru 7 camps when season starts and my opinion its even money between him and Birdsong. We also are getting help in the interior DL from three bigs who sat out last yr. We played the 4-2-5 a lot last yr and as posted above 4 of the 5 secondary players return. Birdsong did throw 3 TDs vs Akron 2013 so that coupled with running the scout team every day vs the #1 D 2014 gives me some hope. We have two proven LBs back in McElvey and Hunter plus another one that played a good bit 2013 but was beat out by a new player last yr. Rounding out the position is the Maryland transfer who also stood out on the scout team and has drawn praise from Doc. Most of the inner circle fans are very upbeat.

We also have Blake Keller eligible now, a FUC transfer at LB. He was named UCF player of the year in 2013, his freshman year. He will have 3 years to play at Marshall.

1. Keller is a DE not a LB

2. Keller played in 5 games before quitting, I don't know how or where you got he was UCF player of the year.
03-24-2015 03:20 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

(03-23-2015 09:44 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Allen is back and is the starter at the X. Man you really need to fact check before posting
03-24-2015 03:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.