Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Track & Field Reprieve
Bookmark and Share
Proff Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW
Track & Field Reprieve
Go to uncw.edu for full statement and agreement.
02-26-2015 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: Track & Field Reprieve
Tall order. Especially since "pledges" won't get it. UNCW wants to see bank.
02-26-2015 07:10 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Campus Community:

The below statements from Chancellor Sederburg and "Save UNCW Track" representative Roy Love, and the agreement hyperlinked below, will be released to media shortly. Thank you.

Statement from Chancellor William A. Sederburg:
Earlier today, we came to an agreement with the "Save UNCW Track" group, led by Roy Love, that would allow them a period of time to raise funds for a 2015-2016 season of track and field. While the decision to eliminate the program after the current season remains in place at this point, we are pleased that continued conversations with "Save UNCW Track" have been productive and enlightening for all involved. The details of our agreement are in the attached document, but I wanted to take this opportunity to applaud the incredible passion, commitment and staying power the running community has shown in support of the track and field program. It became clear to me that with that kind of drive, "Save UNCW Track" very well may be able to secure enough private funding, with administrative support from University Advancement and the Seahawk Club, to 1) sustain track and field for the 2015-16 season and 2) renovate the track facility to a suitable level for intercollegiate competition. I believe it is critical to have this matter resolved before a new chancellor takes the helm at UNCW, so he or she will be able to focus on the big-picture academic and athletic landscape for our students, faculty and staff. In the meantime, I sincerely wish Roy and the "Save UNCW Track" supporters luck as they kick off their effort to meet our agreed-upon financial targets.

Statement from Roy Love, "Save UNCW Track":

The "Save UNCW Track" Committee is excited to finally be given the opportunity by UNCW to raise the funds to sustain UNCW track field and cross country into the future. We take this responsibility seriously, knowing if we do not accomplish the agreed upon goals, UNCW has stated that it will not have the funds to finance the 2015-2016 track field and cross country seasons.

We need all of the community of track supporters in Wilmington and across the country, active lifestyle supporters and users of the UNCW track to help fund this worthy cause by going to http://www.uncw.edu/supporttrackandfield and making a donation. We envision a track, based on the renovations that would be made possible by this fundraising, that will benefit the entire New Hanover community so the next generation of students will have a place to run, jump and throw.
02-26-2015 10:49 PM
Ms. Cottonball Offline
Water Engineer

(02-26-2015 06:42 PM)Proff Wrote:  Go to uncw.edu for full statement and agreement.

It was a difficult decision but frig!, Stick to your guns. A comprehensive report has already stated that the long-term financial health of the department requires sports to be dropped.

So we have caved to the threat of lawsuits and false accusations of racism, and now we must continue to divert our attention and resources to this program........

I know, I get it. We give them a chance to put up or shut up. But what if they reach $250K ? Is it sustainable? I doubt it. Our Athletic staff and Seahawk Club staff is about as thin as you can get.

We need all hands on deck working toward the remaining programs, particularly basketball and baseball.

Ms. Cottonball has been stuck inside with the kids too long. This mornings headline in the Star News just fired me up.

Looking forward to a victory over the Fighting Christians tomorrow.
02-27-2015 12:06 PM
Big Alpha Hawk Offline
Bench Warmer

Are you kidding me, another spineless decision. Programs need to be cut, track and field and swimming are never going to be nationally relevant. If they do raise the money one time it will not keep coming in. Let the kids get a degree here if they wish or move on
02-27-2015 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

Isn't it a situation where the program is indeed cut, but donations CAN (not necessarily WILL) save it? What's wrong with that decision?
02-27-2015 12:31 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I agree track should be cut, but the reasons for this decision were sound. Not the end of the world.

Don't forget, this only gets them 1 year, and by next year they have an even bigger goal.
02-27-2015 12:31 PM
Seahawkfan716 Offline
Bench Warmer

The decision made by the school was the right decisions. The student body was not happy at all with the decision because they were not given an opportunity like swimming was a year ago.

If they're able to get the money they should be allowed to remain a team here at UNCW. If anything it would speak volumes on how poorly run the seahawk club is; if the team is able to raise 250,000 dollars in two months why is the seahawk club having issue raising funds?

Also these sports may not receive national attention, but they are good sound programs. The swim team, I believe has won 13 conference titles in a row, shooting for their fourteenth as we speak. And the swimmers and track athletes are stellar students because these are sports that are self driven and they have a desire to excel. It helps them build a foundation towards a stronger future.
02-27-2015 01:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Swimming & Diving is a fantastic program. But I'm always shocked how a lot of the people I talk to assume it's our MOST successful program. We don't do enough at the national level and I don't recall us producing anything really close to an Olympian. Baseball, meanwhile, wins games every time we reach the Regionals and produces MLB players. This despite being one of only 2 CAA Baseball programs that is STILL not fully funded.
02-27-2015 02:27 PM
Advertisement

SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

To be fair, we did have a swimmer that came real close to making the Olympic team. And a diver who was nationally recognized.
02-27-2015 04:00 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

We also had a female javelin thrower that almost made the Olympic team.
02-27-2015 07:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Track & Field Reprieve
(02-27-2015 07:32 PM)Proff Wrote:  We also had a female javelin thrower that almost made the Olympic team.

Yep, Anna Raynor.
02-28-2015 01:03 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
What a joke,the place is as disfunctional as ever.
02-28-2015 09:38 AM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(02-28-2015 09:38 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  What a joke,the place is as disfunctional as ever.

Almost as dysfunctional as someone who spells "dysfunctional" as "disfunctional" ....
02-28-2015 10:07 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(02-28-2015 10:07 AM)70shawk Wrote:  
(02-28-2015 09:38 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  What a joke,the place is as disfunctional as ever.

Almost as dysfunctional as someone who spells "dysfunctional" as "disfunctional" ....
In regard to the local state trash basket it is the correct spelling!
02-28-2015 10:17 AM
Seahawkfan716 Offline
Bench Warmer

http://www.uncwsports.com/news/2015/2/27...52302.aspx

Dylan skinner is competing at nationals. Former track runner at UNCW
02-28-2015 01:11 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Track & Field Reprieve
Just saw that on Facebook too! Skinner now joins Anna Raynor as the only UNCW T&F athletes to compete at the national level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Raynor's brother on the UNCW baseball team (CF I believe) back in the mid 2000s?
02-28-2015 01:20 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

Yes her brother was a baseball player.
02-28-2015 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.