Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Mid South Coliseum
Bookmark and Share
jlbphila Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofM
Mid South Coliseum
If the Tigers could (a) find a way out of their lease with the Grizzlies, and (b) get the city to pay for most or all of a total renovation of the Mid-South Coliseum thus increasing capacity and making it a state of the art facility - would you support Tiger hoops moving back to the MSC?

I totally would - and wrote about it here.
02-22-2015 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Mid South Coliseum
It needs to come down. I have fond memories of many events there, but it is impractical to use for anything today.

It only sat 8k or 9 k for basketball. If you added suites, that would decrease the number even more.

The forum is a great recruiting tool. The coliseum is not. And players want to play in an NBA arena, not the place where Monday night wrestling was held.

The bottom line is that you can't retrofit a relic into a modern structure without overspending. And once you do you still have, at its foundation, a very old structure that will require more maintenance in the short term.

It was a great building. It's time we gave it a fond farewell..
02-22-2015 12:35 AM
jlbphila Offline
1st String

(02-22-2015 12:35 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  It needs to come down. I have fond memories of many events there, but it is impractical to use for anything today.

It only sat 8k or 9 k for basketball. If you added suites, that would decrease the number even more.

The forum is a great recruiting tool. The coliseum is not. And players want to play in an NBA arena, not the place where Monday night wrestling was held.

The bottom line is that you can't retrofit a relic into a modern structure without overspending. And once you do you still have, at its foundation, a very old structure that will require more maintenance in the short term.

You're probably right, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment:

1. I'm pretty sure it sat 11,200. It's possible, I would think to maybe lower the floor and rebuild the lower level to add or keep capacity around that number and put in some floor level, revenue generating suites.
2. I agree that the Forum is a great recruiting tool, but so would a totally renovated - almost new - Coliseum. Throw in a new practice facility and I don't think recruiting would suffer. You could still play a game or two at the Forum every year much like Villanova plays at the 76ers arena once or twice a year.
3. In the article I mentioned TCU's current renovation of their basketball facility, which opened in the same era as the Coliseum and was similar in structure (round). They're renovating for $45m. The MSC would undoubtedly be more - as it's in disrepair. Nevertheless, if TDZ money could help pay for it then perhaps it can be a win/win.
02-22-2015 12:42 AM
danny1 Online
All American

Fail...sorry.
02-22-2015 01:07 AM
jlbphila Offline
1st String

(02-22-2015 01:07 AM)danny1 Wrote:  Fail...sorry.

No need to apologize. If you disagree, you disagree.

It's all good.
02-22-2015 01:23 AM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(02-22-2015 12:42 AM)jlbphila Wrote:  
(02-22-2015 12:35 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  It needs to come down. I have fond memories of many events there, but it is impractical to use for anything today.

1. I'm pretty sure it sat 11,200. It's possible, I would think to maybe lower the floor and rebuild the lower level to add or keep capacity around that number and put in some floor level, revenue generating suites.
2. I agree that the Forum is a great recruiting tool, but so would a totally renovated - almost new - Coliseum. Throw in a new practice facility and I don't think recruiting would suffer. You could still play a game or two at the Forum every year much like Villanova plays at the 76ers arena once or twice a year.
3. In the article I mentioned TCU's current renovation of their basketball facility, which opened in the same era as the Coliseum and was similar in structure (round). They're renovating for $45m. The MSC would undoubtedly be more - as it's in disrepair. Nevertheless, if TDZ money could help pay for it then perhaps it can be a win/win.

What NBA team plays in the Coliseum?
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 01:24 AM by MemphisFan95.)
02-22-2015 01:24 AM
Advertisement

jlbphila Offline
1st String

What NBA team plays in Cameron Indoor?
What NBA team plays in the Carrier Dome?
What NBA team plays in Allen Fieldhouse?
What NBA team plays in the Dean Dome?
What NBA team plays in Rupp Arena?
What NBA team plays in the KFC YUM! Center?

There are a dozen reasons why the concept of moving into the Coliseum doesn't work - but the idea that recruiting couldn't succeed without the allure of sharing an arena with the Grizzlies is perhaps last on the list, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 01:37 AM by jlbphila.)
02-22-2015 01:36 AM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(02-22-2015 01:36 AM)jlbphila Wrote:  What NBA team plays in Cameron Indoor?
What NBA team plays in the Carrier Dome?
What NBA team plays in Allen Fieldhouse?
What NBA team plays in the Dean Dome?
What NBA team plays in Rupp Arena?
What NBA team plays in the KFC YUM! Center?

There are a dozen reasons why the concept of moving into the Coliseum doesn't work - but the idea that recruiting couldn't succeed without the allure of sharing an arena with the Grizzlies is perhaps last on the list, IMO.

Everyone of those teams have the hardware to show recruits I guess we could show them the Kings old AWA belt....
02-22-2015 01:59 AM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Stay tuned. It would cost more to tear it down, 33 million, than to renovate it, 30,000 million. It is not in bad shape. That is what the developers want you to think. The community is about to be presented with numerous amazing uses for it and the surrounding area. Check out the Save the Mid-South Coliseum site on Facebook. Memphians will ultimately decided what WE want to do with that area, not the politicians and developers with all the risk on OUR tax dollars.

Open your mind and follow the news. Don't be misled.
02-22-2015 02:04 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

A lot of us have great memories of the MSC. But it's old and there really isn't a need for the facility. Just bulldoze it and get it over with. Why on earth would the Tigers play games there, even if renovated, when they play in one of the best facilities in the country?
02-22-2015 06:21 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Mid South Coliseum
MSC is a landmark but an NBA arena gets recruits and its seating capacity gives more money.
02-22-2015 07:01 AM
Advertisement

KYTIGER Offline
2nd String

(02-22-2015 06:21 AM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  A lot of us have great memories of the MSC. But it's old and there really isn't a need for the facility. Just bulldoze it and get it over with. Why on earth would the Tigers play games there, even if renovated, when they play in one of the best facilities in the country?

Agreed. One of posters has suggested that it would cost less to renovate it than to bulldoze it. That may be true, but what you would have after spending the money is a very old, very small facility. I grew up a couple of blocka from the Fairground & have attended hundreds of Tiger games, Tams games, South Stars games, concerts & on & on, at the Coliseum. Even given the sentimental value, it still makes no sense to me to spend new money there.
02-22-2015 07:41 AM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
Mid South Coliseum
As Daddy used to say about worn-out farm machinery "It's time to jack it up and run a new one under it".

It is not like the Coliseum is a historic site that needs to be preserved. It has served its purpose. Let it go.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
02-22-2015 09:20 AM
murphster Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Underdog
I'm ready to see it razed. I will read this full thread to see if there is any historical or architectural reason for keeping. I've heard the elvis/beatles thing but that doesn't make it to 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 with me. I cannot speak to the architectural significance but am inclined to believe it is not so special (could be wrong). Refurb and maintenance on the building would seem to be prohib.

The real shame of not saving an important building is when the city allowed the old union rail station to be demolished for a post office facility.

http://historic-memphis.com/memphis-hist...tions.html
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 10:00 AM by murphster.)
02-22-2015 09:54 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
I don't think the idea of a complete and total and seat adding renovation is the worst idea. Combined with Tiger Lane and the Liberty Bowl it could be a campus west to a degree.

Would have to increase capacity by several thousand...which unfortunately would still fall short of tickets sold downtown. The money matters. Would also likely be a bit of an over reaction to This season for the Tigers and this season for the Grizzlies. Down year for the University, best year ever for the pro team...equals a perception of different passion.

Three years from now, with the Tigers consistently back in top twenty and Grizzlies quite possibly back to 30 wins a season...it will feel quite different.

But yes, an owned campus or near campus arena would be nice, but so is Beale Street after the games for a lot of people, and shifting bigger games downtown would defeat the purpose.
02-22-2015 10:40 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I don't understand the fascination with preserving the coliseum. It needs to go.
02-22-2015 10:55 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(02-22-2015 12:17 AM)jlbphila Wrote:  If the Tigers could (a) find a way out of their lease with the Grizzlies, and (b) get the city to pay for most or all of a total renovation of the Mid-South Coliseum thus increasing capacity and making it a state of the art facility - would you support Tiger hoops moving back to the MSC?

I totally would - and wrote about it here.

Good God, what's wrong with people? It's an old useless arena that needed to be demolished a decade ago.

to answer the question...not just no...hell no
02-22-2015 10:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(02-22-2015 02:04 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Stay tuned. It would cost more to tear it down, 33 million, than to renovate it, 30,000 million. It is not in bad shape. That is what the developers want you to think. The community is about to be presented with numerous amazing uses for it and the surrounding area. Check out the Save the Mid-South Coliseum site on Facebook. Memphians will ultimately decided what WE want to do with that area, not the politicians and developers with all the risk on OUR tax dollars.

Open your mind and follow the news. Don't be misled.

It's USELESS...the no compete clause isn't going anywhere...don't be misled, it's just an old arena, not some historic site.
02-22-2015 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I believe that number was max capacity for events such as concerts. With basketball, nearly all of the floor seating was removed for the court, and cut down the capacity by 2K-3K.
02-22-2015 11:33 AM
nutbushtiger Offline
The Trooper

(02-22-2015 11:33 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

I believe that number was max capacity for events such as concerts. With basketball, nearly all of the floor seating was removed for the court, and cut down the capacity by 2K-3K.

I think 11,200 was capacity for basketball, as a kid I would cut the box scores and game photos out of the paper after every game and remember that number being on the bottom of most every one. Doesn't really matter to me what they do with it, I hope if they tear it down they build a small concert venue like some have suggested. They could get all kinds of shows to fill a 5k seat venue.
02-22-2015 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.