Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Calipari has been contacted by UK!
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Calipari has been contacted by UK!
Looks like Tubby is gone and Memphis is on a suicide watch! CDOA will be officially dead, if Calipari leaves!

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/...xml&coll=3
03-11-2007 01:15 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

Kentucky fans have been clamoring for him for the last month. VERY interesting. I'll tell you what, if Calipari goes to Kentucky they will be a Top 5 team and they will be a Final Four team and national title contender. Cal is not afraid to play anybody and is a fantastic game coach. What hurts Kentucky though is that they can't get rid of Tubby Smith HE has to decide to leave. Kentucky is going nowhere fast with Tubby at the helm right now but he is stubborn.
03-11-2007 07:59 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

The Memphis Grizzlies could also come calling.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/...xml&coll=3

Calipari next Cats coach?

Saturday, March 10, 2007
ATLANTA -- Should Tubby Smith decide he's had enough of the bear that is the Kentucky basketball job, don't be surprised if UK goes hard after Memphis coach John Calipari.

A source close to Calipari said Friday that an intermediary has already contacted Calipari to gauge his interest in the Wildcats' post, should it open after the season.

Calipari flirted with the North Carolina State job last spring before deciding to remain in Memphis. Calipari, who has had previous head-coaching stints at Massachusetts and with the NBA's New Jersey Nets, is also considered a target of interest if the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies make a change after the season. The Grizzlies hired Tony Barone as their interim head coach on Dec. 28, 2006.

03-11-2007 08:09 AM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:

also Tom Izzo from Michigan ST. According to UK fans, Tom is their first choice.
03-11-2007 08:55 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

gdayre Wrote:also Tom Izzo from Michigan ST. According to UK fans, Tom is their first choice.

Izzo owns Michigan State. They are in a Big Six conference with huge revenue, and he has taken them to countless NCAA Tournaments and has gone to the Final Four 4 times and won a national championship. Heck, people talked about him being the football coach before hiring Mark Dantonio, that's how loved he is down there. Kentucky fans are insane, he's not going anywhere.
03-11-2007 09:05 AM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Cal's not going anywhere.
03-11-2007 10:00 AM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

Even if Cal left, Memphis basketball would be just fine. They were good before him and they'll be good after him.
03-11-2007 10:31 AM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

That's bad news if Calipari gets the UK job...he will turn them into a national contender once again. I liked UK as they are now...here's to hoping he finds himself in the NBA once again 04-rock
03-11-2007 10:37 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Wonder if Memphis would hire Tubby, i thought Cal would try to get the NBA gig with the Memphis Griz after this season.
03-11-2007 10:48 AM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

bluesox Wrote:Wonder if Memphis would hire Tubby, i thought Cal would try to get the NBA gig with the Memphis Griz after this season.

Memphis would have to throw out some serious jack to get tubby there. I think Tubby's next stop is at the NBA or he will just take it easy for a while. I hate Kentucky with a passion but they are one of maybe 5 schools how can afford to double Calimari's salary. I could be wrong but I can't see the guy turning down a opportunity to coach at one of the most storied schools in college basketball. He wouldn't have to beg for respect being the coach at UK and he certainly wouldn't have to beg for media space and air time. If UK wants him bad enough they have enough money in the bag to throw at him. Its just a matter of do they think he is a priority #1, I personally think they look at Donovan and Crean first. I think they are stupid because Tubby is one of the most respectable coaches in basketball period. You take a major PR hit firing a coach like Tubby smith. "If" tubby happens to get fired then I think there will be a lot of schools trying to get his services. In my opinion there isn't anybody out there better than smith who are already at top 10 traditional programs.

Tubby's downfall has been his coaching staff because the man is a helluva coach he has proven that. He just happens to coach at UK which has the most irrational fan base I have ever seen in my life. Alabama football fans are probably a close second for the most irrational arrogant bunch I've seen. UK fans expect final fours every year and no matter who is coaching on that sideline they will be under pressure. I just don't see how you can fire a guy who has won over 80% of his games and has a national championship to boot(even with Pitino's players).
03-11-2007 11:35 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

bluesox Wrote:Wonder if Memphis would hire Tubby, i thought Cal would try to get the NBA gig with the Memphis Griz after this season.

Cal can probably get close to $3 Million or so at UK...but would it be worth it to go back to the GRIND of the NBA...with 82 games a year...another 8 exhibition games...plus a possible 2 month playoff tournament???

I think ex-NBA coaches like Cal...realize that one can make a VERY comfortable living coaching college hoop...work with kids who will listen (vs $10 Million - $15 Million per year NBA players who won't), plus coaches like Cal LIKE to recruit...which one really can't do in the NBA.

NBA use to be all about the $$$$$$...but now that top coaches can get VERY good $$$$$ in College (still not NBA $$$$ though)...is the extra $$$$ worth all the NBA grind?

I think Cal stays in college and doesn't go back to the NBA....as every HS player would be fair game...since there isn't a draft or a salary cap in College Hoops.
03-11-2007 01:07 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

TigersRuleAll Wrote:Cal's not going anywhere.

I'd like to believe that, but Cal really wanted the Pittsburgh job a few years ago when Ben Howland left. I think he's better off at Memphis, but I could see why he would be intrigued with Kentucky. They also have top notch facilities, but they are one of the 3 greatest programs of all time, have a HUGE national following and it would be incredibly easy for someone like Cal to routinely bring in McDonald's All-Americans and Duke and North Carolina-type recruits every year at Kentucky and win national championships. Cal has a huge ego and the spotlight would be on him like it is at Duke for Coach K and Roy Williams at North Carolina. He would also be competing against his old friend Rick Pitino. And what a battle that would be with Cal using Rick's old school against him. And Rick having the resources of one of the Top 10 basketball programs of all time in Louisville to fight back!
03-11-2007 01:28 PM
kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

CatsClaw Wrote:
TigersRuleAll Wrote:Cal's not going anywhere.

I'd like to believe that, but Cal really wanted the Pittsburgh job a few years ago when Ben Howland left. I think he's better off at Memphis, but I could see why he would be intrigued with Kentucky. They also have top notch facilities, but they are one of the 3 greatest programs of all time, have a HUGE national following and it would be incredibly easy for someone like Cal to routinely bring in McDonald's All-Americans and Duke and North Carolina-type recruits every year at Kentucky and win national championships. Cal has a huge ego and the spotlight would be on him like it is at Duke for Coach K and Roy Williams at North Carolina. He would also be competing against his old friend Rick Pitino. And what a battle that would be with Cal using Rick's old school against him. And Rick having the resources of one of the Top 10 basketball programs of all time in Louisville to fight back!

No disrespect to Memphis but the resources he would have to succeed and be in the upper echelon of college basketball is unlimited at Kentucky. #1 You are in a conference that is respected. #2 If you win at Kentucky your legacy is pretty much solidified. #3 The name on the jersey alone will bring in the big boys. I realize memphis gets studs now, but being the coach at Kentucky makes the door even bigger for those recruits. Every where Kentucky goes they have a home court advantage. They are like the notre dame of hoops. Its really unbelieveable the following they have in basketball, those fans will go to hell to watch a Kentucky basketball game. I think a guy with a ego like his would probably accept it. Then again who knows he may just have devine loyalty to Memphis.

I'm just saying it will be hard for any coach that hasn't coached at a traditional power program to turn that down. It will be hard to turn down the prestige and all that money. Having said all that I can name some reason why someone wouldnt' want to coach there. #1 the pressure to win. You are in a pressure cooker every year at UK to win. #2 The fans are insane. In all honesty I see them going after Donovan first and foremost since he has Kentucky ties. I think Crean is #2 and probably Izzo #3 and I've heard Mark Few's name thrown around. I don't think Crean and Izzo are going anywhere. Billy D would be stupid to leave his situation at florida. Unless he doesn't want to be in Meyers shadow.
03-11-2007 01:58 PM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Tubby Smith isn't going anywhere. Consider the source. It's an Alabama newspaper and not one from Kentucky.
03-11-2007 02:12 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

army56mike Wrote:Even if Cal left, Memphis basketball would be just fine. They were good before him and they'll be good after him.

I don't know about that. Without the right hire they very well could fade away and not come back for a while. They are in a horrible conference and right now Cal is their biggest selling point.
My guess is that they would fall they way and it would take about 10-15 years to come back due to conference, very much like UNLV.
03-11-2007 03:14 PM
ChickasawTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis

subflea Wrote:
army56mike Wrote:Even if Cal left, Memphis basketball would be just fine. They were good before him and they'll be good after him.

I don't know about that. Without the right hire they very well could fade away and not come back for a while. They are in a horrible conference and right now Cal is their biggest selling point.
My guess is that they would fall they way and it would take about 10-15 years to come back due to conference, very much like UNLV.

I do not believe that UK would be interested in Cal. That being said, if they came calling, he would be crazy not to go. The difference between UNLV and Memphis is that UNLV won under one coach and one coach only. We have won since the 1950's. There is enough talent in Memphis alone to go to the Sweet 16 almost every year. Not true for Vegas.

The conference does hurt, but with the recruits coming in and where Cal has us right now, the right coach should be able to keep things going.
03-11-2007 03:33 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

the second this guy said Cal to the Grizz it lost ALL credibility. 05-footinmouth

the Tigers and Grizz share fans...if Cal jumped ship for the Grizz, attendance would drop by 50% and Calipari would be vilified by local sports fans and media.

UK is a NCAA tourney team, if they advance there is really no way to fire Tubby...and i don't see him leaving.

besides most UK fans feel Cal is "slimy" and most want Billy D. from Florida or maybe Billy G. from TA&M.

this is all rumor at this point.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
03-11-2007 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

I could see Cal to UK based on his recruiting at Memphis. Recruiting seems to be cripe #1 against Tubby. Its the unfortunate nature of the beast I guess but if that report is true I hate to hear of UK already contacting him through back alley guys a day or two before the tournament starts. Good grief, wait a week or two at least until UK is done and Memphis possibly is.

As for Izzo at UK, I could see it. Everything Catsclaw said about MSU is true, but it is no UK. He could see it as a final challenge and a change of pace possibly.
03-11-2007 04:01 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

Reminds me of the Rodriguez to Alabama and Schiano to Miami talk.

I predicted a year ago that Cal would be one of UK's top targets when Tubby got fired. I hope Cal stays, but Memphis basketball was around a long time before Cal got to town.
03-11-2007 06:31 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU

I wonder who really would be on UK's short list?

I personally don't think Cal would be their number one choice. But, if he does get the call how could he not listen. It is one of probably five or so of the most storied porgrams in college BB history. What - UNC, UK, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA?

Memphis would survive. Memphis has a solid supporting fan base, a fanbase that supports its team through thick and thin. Not sure the likes of UNLV gets as much support during low swings.
03-12-2007 10:18 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.