Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Open Forum - Presidential Search
Bookmark and Share
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
Open Forum - Presidential Search
The first of 3 finalists for the position of University of Toledo President is speaking now at the Health Science Campus. Two other candidates will also speak when on campus. It's interesting to get a glimpse of our new leader, whoever that turns out to be.

http://video.utoledo.edu/
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015 08:53 AM by SylvaniaRocket.)
02-20-2015 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Open Forum - Presidential Search
We'd be lucky if she didn't get back on the dog-sled and head back South.
02-20-2015 10:23 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-20-2015 08:50 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  The first of 3 finalists for the position of University of Toledo President is speaking now at the Health Science Campus. Two other candidates will also speak when on campus. It's interesting to get a glimpse of our new leader, whoever that turns out to be.

I liked her. Very smart, good experience as a faculty member, researcher, dean and provost. Worked in Ohio at Wright State.
02-20-2015 01:23 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

The second candidate for UT President is on campus. Dr. Christopher Howard will participate in two open forums. The first is 1:30 pm today on main campus and the second is at 8:30 am on Tuesday on the Health Science campus.
The forum can be viewed by following the link below.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 09:07 AM by SylvaniaRocket.)
02-23-2015 09:04 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Only catching snippets.

I didn't hear much from Dr. Wheatley that didn't come from the University's own boilerplate. Anything original there? She did address the current negotiations with the Prof's Union in a realistic manner I thought.

Dr. Howard kind of the same but he did not hesitate to call out Greek culture ( in general ) and remind them the purpose of the organizations.

Reading an article on Dr. Wheatley's interview at Florida St. last Fall I see they gave the position to a State Sen/FSU grad that wasn't particularly impressive. It kind of reminds me that one of the biggest jobs is going to be fund-raising, getting the bucks out of the alums and the state. Are they asking that question in the public forums?
02-23-2015 06:44 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

Dr. Sharon Gaber, the third and final presidential candidate is on campus. She will participate in two open forums. The first is Thursday, Feb. 26, at 1:30 pm on Main Campus. The second is Friday, Feb. 27, at 8:30 am on the Health Science Campus.

You can view the forums following the link below.

02-25-2015 03:31 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2015 06:44 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Only catching snippets.

I didn't hear much from Dr. Wheatley that didn't come from the University's own boilerplate. Anything original there? She did address the current negotiations with the Prof's Union in a realistic manner I thought.

Dr. Howard kind of the same but he did not hesitate to call out Greek culture ( in general ) and remind them the purpose of the organizations.

Reading an article on Dr. Wheatley's interview at Florida St. last Fall I see they gave the position to a State Sen/FSU grad that wasn't particularly impressive. It kind of reminds me that one of the biggest jobs is going to be fund-raising, getting the bucks out of the alums and the state. Are they asking that question in the public forums?

Quote:University of Toledo presidential candidate Sharon Gaber touted her record as University of Arkansas provost to grow enrollment, boost graduation rates, raise money, and work with faculty during a forum held today at UT’s main campus.

Somebody comes to Launchpad to read my head.

It's as I've thought all along, this is just like the Enders Game only it's me and what I write on message boards is secretly guiding everything that is happening beyond the fourth wall. Queue Twilight Zone music.

There was a lot about this candidate I liked. Also, no boiler-plating so again, someone is reading my posts to determine how the world should be run. You all really should be nicer to me, I can delete you with a keystroke.
02-26-2015 07:28 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-26-2015 07:28 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Quote:University of Toledo presidential candidate Sharon Gaber touted her record as University of Arkansas provost to grow enrollment, boost graduation rates, raise money, and work with faculty during a forum held today at UT’s main campus.

It's as I've thought all along, this is just like the Enders Game only it's me and what I write on message boards is secretly guiding everything that is happening beyond the fourth wall. Queue Twilight Zone music.

There was a lot about this candidate I liked. Also, no boiler-plating so again, someone is reading my posts to determine how the world should be run. You all really should be nicer to me, I can delete you with a keystroke.

Gaber was really impressive.
02-26-2015 07:37 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2015 07:37 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 07:28 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Gaber was really impressive.

I agree. She is my choice. Among many topics, she emphasized the importance of athletics. It creates a lot of interest among prospective students . It also creates pride in the community and among alumni, who are more likely to open their checkbook to support the institution.

It was also neat when she said our school is named after the city where is located. The University of Toledo and not some other name.
02-27-2015 07:49 AM
Rocket65 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT RRRRRRockets
Now, let's see if The Blade (the former Toledo Blade) comes out with an editorial proclaiming who they (the former Toledo Blade) think should get the job. Not that they (the former Toledo Blade) are trying to influence the selection committee. 05-nono
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 12:27 PM by Rocket65.)
02-27-2015 12:16 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

(02-27-2015 12:16 PM)Rocket65 Wrote:  Now, let's see if The Blade (the former Toledo Blade) comes out with an editorial proclaiming who they (the former Toledo Blade) think should get the job. Not that they (the former Toledo Blade) are trying to influence the selection committee. 05-nono

Why of course....then they have a two out of three chance to right an editorial a month on the wrong choice at UT
02-27-2015 01:06 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Liking Gaber but thinking the University needs Howard more at this time. Universities are on seriously shaky financial ground and Howard I think might be a once in a life-time get with his accomplishments and business background. If I was confident Gaber was going to be a lifer, I'd probably lean that way. Howard I think will go on to greater things and that will reflect well on those universities he rises through. I can see both grabbing attention of different segments of the University and city community but think Gaber might be more far reaching in that regard with her Urban planning expertise. I'm pretty sure I'd become a dribbling fool in Howard's presence.

Hesitant to bring it up because such things shouldn't matter but either adds to Toledo's fairly progressive social history of a mostly white industrial community with African-American male and female mayors, female CEO of one of our oldest yet rising corporations, a very popular African - American male school Superintendent and much more I'm sure.

TOUGH choice. The search committee did a phenomenal job getting these three on campus. Now if they can snag one of them before the weather turns nice because they're obviously here for the wind chill factor.

Wonder how the behind scenes interviews went.
02-27-2015 07:13 PM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I think Howard will get the job, hands down. If you liken it to hiring a head football coach he is already a head coach. The other two are high level assistant coaches and would need time to develop into head coaches on our dime. He is already the president of a smaller university and his business background and leadership background are not matched by the other two.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 09:33 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
02-28-2015 09:32 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Howard is an empty suit. All of his answers were off of the UT website with no original thought. He essentially read his presentation from a script. He has little experience working at a large university, and his present school has about 1,000 students, is private, is in the south and has no graduate programs or research of note. In my opinion, his experience doesn't transfer well to UT.

Here's a link to a Facebook page from members of his current college community trying to get him fired: https://www.facebook.com/EndHowardsTerm?fref=nf
02-28-2015 09:57 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol, we should have more "empty suits" with his accomplishments running things. There were NO empty suits brought onto campus to interview for the position of President. I think that comment does a serious injustice to the search committee.

If a few members of THAT community want to get him fired I would say that's indication he was doing the job to bring that community into the 21 st century. It was gutsy of him to take the position in the first place. One of the reasons the others might not have "facebooks" lol, against them is because they haven't ever been in a "buck stops here" position.

All of the candidates are from or have experience in the South, I'm not sure what that has to do with it but I agree his experience does not include leading a major research university and is limited, as are they all. If not UofToledo, he WILL go to another mid-level University at the top level, one with foresight or he will go to a larger research university and get that experience politically needed to move into a top position.

I think Dr. Howard is going to have an excellent future, it's only a question of whether or not Toledo will be part of that legacy.

Of the three, hands-down Howard brings the most instant recognition to the University but of course that's not a major reason to select a President. Local or certain aspects of the University community could of course play hard-azz and refuse to work with the new President but ultimately that would be recognized as a failure of the local and university communities, not the President.

The President's goal has to be the long term interest of the university, not short term selfish interests of a few. Some are scared of his comments, hardly off the website, that there are necessary compromises that have to be made due to limited funds but some at the University live in a world where they think the money grows on trees and that they won't get their self-proscribed share of it. In THIS day and age, Faculty makes money when the University successfully dances that fine line between non-competitive research and competing with private business, something they are not to do. Someone with knowledge of and the ability to dictate business trends would be extremely valuable as well someone with Belt-way experience and connections. Being able to get everyone on board is extremely important but also is being able to recognize and leverage the university talent to the outside world. That's how research universities survive these days.

I think if the University is serious about getting out of the shadow of OSU, he was dead on with his comments. We've had our fair share of urban planners and have people strong in that. But can urban planners make money? If you are an alum, you want someone that is going to open markets for your business. Will an urban planner do that?

Ultimately the wise choice will consider what talents the candidate can bring that the University does not already have. I don't think that any of the candidates jumped out front in all aspects. It's going to be a very difficult decision.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 11:06 AM by eastisbest.)
02-28-2015 10:49 AM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

http://www.toledoblade.com/Education/201...ad-UT.html
The Board of Trustees meets today to discuss the candidates and possibly make their choice.
03-09-2015 08:25 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

(03-09-2015 08:25 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  http://www.toledoblade.com/Education/201...ad-UT.html
The Board of Trustees meets today to discuss the candidates and possibly make their choice.
"The group (faculty senate) will not make a formal recommendation regarding the hiring decision, but plans to share general impressions with board chairman Joseph H. Zerbey IV, who is also The Blade’s president and general manager, and vice chairman Sharon Speyer."

Yes...the Knife has a player in the room.
03-09-2015 10:00 AM
Rockets Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UT
I would like to see the university make a decision in the near future. I was not a fan of the recent presidential candidates article in "The Blade", a lot of opinions were thrown around but the individuals selected did a rather poor job of representing the entire UT community. I myself see it as a 2 person race between Dr. Christopher Howard and Dr. Sharon Gaber which was brought up by the student government president in the blade article. I believe Dr. Howard is the right person for the job and that he can take UT to even greater heights.

Completely off topic but Dr. Howard was in a United States Air Force Academy national commercial today that happened to air while I was watching TV. It showed him giving a commencement speech when it mentioned the academy was home to numerous Rhodes scholars. His background is simply incredible.

If UT does not select Dr. Howard, he will without a doubt lead another large institution in the very near future. I would hate to see UT bypass Howard and see him do an incredible job at another large university.

I think all three candidates would make great presidents and am extremely impressed by the search committee bringing three outstanding candidates to the university. With that being said I truly believe Dr. Christopher Howard would be the best possible choice for the next President of our great university.

Excited for the future! Go Rockets!
03-09-2015 02:07 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
A quick review of that FB page : looks like a one man job, anonymous and, with no knowledge of Hamden-Sidney (including spelling if this is wrong), I can point out obvious lies. Nothing to see here but someone's bruised ego, I suspect.
03-09-2015 02:23 PM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
According to reports on Twitter, Chris Howard has withdrawn himself from consideration for president.
03-09-2015 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.