Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Football coaches in demand next year
Bookmark and Share
bmcgee81 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Football coaches in demand next year
Article about coaches in line for a top tier job next season. Top of the list is our very own Fuente. Loved the quote though about chicken something-else cause it is so true.

"Justin Fuente, Memphis head coach: Considering where the program was when Fuente took over, this past year’s 10-3 finish and share of the American Athletic Conference title is a miracle. Coaches who can make that much chicken salad out of that much chicken something-else tend to succeed at the Power Five level as well."

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/...-dear-andy
02-19-2015 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FranklinTNTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Football coaches in demand next year
(02-19-2015 10:58 AM)bmcgee81 Wrote:  Article about coaches in line for a top tier job next season. Top of the list is our very own Fuente. Loved the quote though about chicken something-else cause it is so true.

"Justin Fuente, Memphis head coach: Considering where the program was when Fuente took over, this past year’s 10-3 finish and share of the American Athletic Conference title is a miracle. Coaches who can make that much chicken salad out of that much chicken something-else tend to succeed at the Power Five level as well."

Unfortunately, we will have to be in a P5 conference to keep him (I wish)and that's not happening. It will be a SAD day when he leaves and could be after this upcoming season.
02-19-2015 11:18 AM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I think it is a matter of time until he is gone but on a somewhat bright note, I don't think he will leave for just any job in the P5. He will hold out for a top job in the P5. Of course that could happen after next season. It will depend on which jobs are open after next season.

It's nice to see Memphis mentioned as a great story instead of how pathetic we are (were). 03-cloud9
02-19-2015 11:23 AM
btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(02-19-2015 11:23 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  I think it is a matter of time until he is gone but on a somewhat bright note, I don't think he will leave for just any job in the P5. He will hold out for a top job in the P5. Of course that could happen after next season. It will depend on which jobs are open after next season.

It's nice to see Memphis mentioned as a great story instead of how pathetic we are (were). 03-cloud9

so it sounds like the best thing that could happen is for fuente to have a losing season next year?
02-19-2015 11:56 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(02-19-2015 11:18 AM)FranklinTNTiger Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 10:58 AM)bmcgee81 Wrote:  Article about coaches in line for a top tier job next season. Top of the list is our very own Fuente. Loved the quote though about chicken something-else cause it is so true.

Unfortunately, we will have to be in a P5 conference to keep him (I wish)and that's not happening. It will be a SAD day when he leaves and could be after this upcoming season.

Maybe .. Maybe not. He won't leave for a dead end job in a P5. He's way smarter than that.
02-19-2015 11:56 AM
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2015 11:56 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Maybe .. Maybe not. He won't leave for a dead end job in a P5. He's way smarter than that.

This job was a dead end and he come here. But I get what you are saying. He will be able to pick his pleasure.
02-19-2015 12:03 PM
poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators
(02-19-2015 12:03 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  

This job was a dead end and he come here. But I get what you are saying. He will be able to pick his pleasure.

He was a nobody asst. then. He ain't now. Big difference.
02-19-2015 12:13 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy

This was never a dead end job. We just hired a bunch of dead end coaches for 20 years.
02-19-2015 01:10 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2015 11:56 AM)btiger Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 11:23 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  I think it is a matter of time until he is gone but on a somewhat bright note, I don't think he will leave for just any job in the P5. He will hold out for a top job in the P5. Of course that could happen after next season. It will depend on which jobs are open after next season.

so it sounds like the best thing that could happen is for fuente to have a losing season next year?

Not at all. I just don't think he's going to jump at the first P5 offer if it isn't a good situation. BTW, I think this may very well be his last year here. If we are lucky, we may get two more seasons out of him.
02-19-2015 08:24 PM
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(02-19-2015 01:10 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

This was never a dead end job. We just hired a bunch of dead end coaches for 20 years.

Ding!
03-idea
02-19-2015 08:29 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

Yeah, but he was coming as an assistant and CO-OC...once you've proved something as a HC those better jobs open up quick. You have to start somewhere, and unless you inherit a job (Jimbo Fisher) it's going to be at a less-than-ideal situation.

Exhibit A: Urban Meyer

Exhibit B: Jim McElwain

Exhibit C: Butch Jones
02-20-2015 12:21 AM
tigergeorge55 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U OF M
(02-19-2015 01:10 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

THIS
02-20-2015 12:27 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-19-2015 01:10 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  This was never a dead end job. We just hired a bunch of dead end coaches for 20 years.

It WAS a dead end job during those years partly because basketball was over-emphasized at the expense of football. A primary reason for that, other than stupidity, was that the local population was/is supportive of the basketball program, whereas a large and influential segment (SEC fans) views Tiger football with indifference at best (and hatred at worst). Spook Murphy nailed it 50 years ago when he said "there are people in this town who don't want Tiger football to succeed". Our problems have definitely had more causes than bad coaching hires.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015 09:46 AM by Gray Avenger.)
02-20-2015 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
I hope he coaches a second really good year.

The alternative sucks.
02-20-2015 12:25 PM
btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(02-20-2015 09:41 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 01:10 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  This was never a dead end job. We just hired a bunch of dead end coaches for 20 years.

It WAS a dead end job during those years partly because basketball was over-emphasized at the expense of football. A primary reason for that, other than stupidity, was that the local population was/is supportive of the basketball program, whereas a large and influential segment (SEC fans) views Tiger football with indifference at best (and hatred at worst). Spook Murphy nailed it 50 years ago when he said "there are people in this town who don't want Tiger football to succeed". Our problems have definitely had more causes than bad coaching hires.

what would those "causes" be?
02-20-2015 01:09 PM
Poorwill Offline
Special Teams

(02-20-2015 01:09 PM)btiger Wrote:  
(02-20-2015 09:41 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  

what would those "causes" be?
For one, the SEC shill AD who sold that crap about being an independent "like Notre Dame."
02-20-2015 04:04 PM
NDTiger Offline
All American

Break ground this Summer (or is it Fall) on a he new IPF and Coaches' office building paired with winning a 2nd AAC championship would leave us in great standing if CJF decides to leave. Imagine the state of our FB program and signal that it would send to the coaching market if he is offered a major P5 gig. I for one hope we see that day in the next 2-3 yrs, as it would mean a resurgence of Tiger FB in a major way!!! Can't begrudge a person for advancing their career and taking care of their family.
02-22-2015 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.