WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bonamago new HC at CMU
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
Bonamago new HC at CMU
Current Detroit Lions Special Teams coach John Bonamego has been hired to be the new HC at CMU.
02-06-2015 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Bonamago new HC at CMU
Paw Paw High School alum.
02-06-2015 06:52 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

CMU fans are not happy with the hire...
02-06-2015 06:59 PM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

Lions' special teams sucked last year, so this is a win-win for us Lions/WMU fans.
02-06-2015 07:30 PM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(02-06-2015 06:39 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Current Detroit Lions Special Teams coach John Bonamego has been hired to be the new HC at CMU.

[Image: mckayla_impressed_ap_328.jpg]
02-06-2015 07:34 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(02-06-2015 06:59 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  CMU fans are not happy with the hire...

Seems like Heeke saw what Dunn got hiring an NFL position guy and he decided he'd give that a shot. Of course we all know sports message boards are inhabited by loons, but they might have made a better choice had they listened to the die hards. This was more politically expedient then hiring Annesse some baggage. Heeke is gun shy after he screwed up the hiring of the golf coach.

That said, I think Flecks resume made him far more ready to be a college head coach than this guys does. In addition Flecks career was on a fast track, this guys was on a turtle track.
02-06-2015 07:38 PM
Advertisement

goldsworth Offline
1st String

W
(02-06-2015 07:38 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 06:59 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  CMU fans are not happy with the hire...

Seems like Heeke saw what Dunn got hiring an NFL position guy and he decided he'd give that a shot. Of course we all know sports message boards are inhabited by loons, but they might have made a better choice had they listened to the die hards. This was more politically expedient then hiring Annesse some baggage. Heeke is gun shy after he screwed up the hiring of the golf coach.

That said, I think Flecks resume made him far more ready to be a college head coach than this guys does. In addition Flecks career was on a fast track, this guys was on a turtle track.
Well I guess that answers the question I was about to post .... How does the cmu hire compare to the Fleck hire..... Anyone know the new cmu coach resume does he have the skills to go head to head with Fleck on the .recruiting trail? I have no idea who he is and if he is a Fleck clone?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 07:44 PM by goldsworth.)
02-06-2015 07:43 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(02-06-2015 07:30 PM)tayles mullet Wrote:  Lions' special teams sucked last year, so this is a win-win for us Lions/WMU fans.

That's how I saw it too.
02-06-2015 07:57 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(02-06-2015 07:43 PM)goldsworth Wrote:  W
(02-06-2015 07:38 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

Well I guess that answers the question I was about to post .... How does the cmu hire compare to the Fleck hire..... Anyone know the new cmu coach resume does he have the skills to go head to head with Fleck on the .recruiting trail? I have no idea who he is and if he is a Fleck clone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bonamego

Hasn't been an FBS coach since 1998 with Army. Was never a HC. Never been more than a ST coach at NFL level since then.

Hasn't recruited in a long, long time and probably doesn't have the energy that Fleck does. I'm sure it will be a learning curve for him, especially with Fleck hitting his stride.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 08:11 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
02-06-2015 08:03 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Special teams coach Bonamego fired by 'Fins after meltdown:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...r-meltdown
02-06-2015 08:56 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

03-lol
02-06-2015 09:01 PM
Advertisement

goldsworth Offline
1st String

(02-06-2015 08:56 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Special teams coach Bonamego fired by 'Fins after meltdown:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...r-meltdown

Needless to say that can't bode well for the chimps.Looks to be a risky hire!
02-06-2015 09:34 PM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(02-06-2015 06:39 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Current Detroit Lions Special Teams coach John Bonamego has been hired to be the new HC at CMU.

Bwahahahahahaha! Perfect. As a Lions and Broncos fan, this is just perfect.

04-rock
02-06-2015 10:40 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

On the plus side for Chimps, he's an alum who has a lot of passion for the university and program.

John Harbaugh was a ST coach for most of his NFL career before getting Ravens job and winning a Super Bowl.

Negatives are lack of HC experience (of course our coach had none either and much less total experience) and hasn't been in college for over a decade.

Glad they couldn't get a Brock Spack and apparently didn't even consider Tony Annese.
02-07-2015 09:32 AM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

You never know how a coach is going to do. A lot of people who didn't have vision were laughing at Fleck and WMU in 2013.
02-07-2015 12:43 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2015 12:43 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  A lot of people who didn't have vision were laughing at Fleck and WMU in 2013.

Please link to post where your "vision" led you to predict eight wins for Fleck-us this year.
02-07-2015 01:03 PM
Advertisement

All American

(02-07-2015 01:03 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 12:43 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  A lot of people who didn't have vision were laughing at Fleck and WMU in 2013.

Please link to post where your "vision" led you to predict eight wins for Fleck-us this year.

I didn't think we would win 8 games in 2014. I think that was a pleasant surprise for almost all of us (like this is a bad thing?). But I believed that he would build this program over the course of his first contract, and that looks exactly like what he is doing. I certainly wasn't laughing at him, and definitely was in the camp of wanting to give him some time.

Point is, people were laughing at him. People didn't think he could coach, including you. And while he still has to win a championship (yes, those are my expectations), I think a lot of people have changed their opinion on the hire.

As always...it's a great day to be a Bronco!

Row the boat.
02-07-2015 01:19 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2015 01:19 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  People didn't think he could coach, including you.

That is true, and I have posted more than once that he and staff convinced me otherwise last Fall.
02-07-2015 01:33 PM
All American

(02-07-2015 01:33 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 01:19 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  People didn't think he could coach, including you.

That is true, and I have posted more than once that he and staff convinced me otherwise last Fall.

I know you have, and that is commendable. You weren't alone in that opinion. A 1-11 season will have people do that. I didn't know he could coach either. I just was in the camp of let's give him more time on that.

Right now. I like the direction the program is heading. Why? Because despite his youth, exuberance, or perception that he is a players coach, and he is in the way the he relates well to young people, the bottom line is he is demanding and believes in accountability. He has drive, and truly expects people to change their best every day, from both his players, and his coaching staff. It might be used as a slogan, but his attitude is one that is reflected in a lot of successful people.

I am probably biased about this coaching staff because I have the opportunity to talk with a couple of them regularly, but I've been around the Darnell and Cubit locker rooms as well. There is just a different feeling, a sharper focus.

I'm not sure that PJ gets the credit he deserves for being as detailed as he is. I realize that part of that is his own doing, the body bumping, boat rowing stuff takes away from that, but I'm confident he and his staff can get to, and win a MAC championship, probably in 2016.

If he doesn't, and he stagnates to a 7 or 8 win team every year with no MAC championship, or no bowl win, I will be glad to move on from him as well.
02-07-2015 01:47 PM
backinkazoo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
A Win-win for a Bronco / Lions fan.

Special teams cost the Lions a division title - I'm specifically thinking of the Bills game which would have put them over the top. A division title and who knows on the play off run....
02-08-2015 02:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.