Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches on the Hot Seat
Bookmark and Share
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
Coaches on the Hot Seat
It's about that time to discuss coaches that are on the hot seat and may be shopping for new jobs come the off-season.

I thought I'd talk a little bit about C-USA. Interested to hear what other school's fans think, as this is my perspective as a Charlotte fan:

UAB: Haase posted a respectable 18-12 record in his second year, but early season struggles this year put him in jeopardy. The Blazers are off to a solid 6-1 start in conference following the shaky early season.

Thoughts: The Blazers record has improved in each of his first two years and appear to be righting the ship. Safe

So. Miss: Doc Sadler's first year has been a tough one. Sitting at 6-12 overall and 1-6 in conference, So. Miss is struggling to recapture some of last season's success.

Thoughts: Coaches typically get a pass for their first few years while they get their players, install their system, etc. Safe

FAU: Michael Curry's first year has been a little rough. After starting out decently, the Owls are now 1-4 in conference.

Thoughts: Like So. Miss, it's way too early to tell. Safe

North Texas: Tony Benford is in his third season at North Texas, sporting a 36-47 overall record. With a few bad losses and an 8-11 record on the season, the Mean Green are not where they hoped to be in year 3 of Benford's tenure.

Thoughts: Hot

Rice: Mike Rhoades' team has struggled in his first year; but Rice had a long way to go. Additionally, Rice has been showing signs of improvement being competitive in their last 10 games and winning 2 out of their last 3. Rhoades appears to be a good fit for the Owls and has them playing better each game.

Thoughts: Safe

UTSA: Brooks Thompson has coached the Roadrunners since 2006. From 2006-2010 UTSA's record improved every year, culminating in an NCAA berth in 2010. Life since then has not been overly kind to UTSA fans, however. In each of the past three seasons Thompson's teams have posted successively worse records, with an 8-22 mark last season. This year's team has already surpassed last year's win total, sitting at 9-9, but UTSA fans don't seem too pleased with the recent trends.

Thoughts: Depending on how he finishes the rest of this season, his seat is very warm.

Charlotte: Alan Major was in his 5th season coaching the 49ers when he had to take a medical leave of absence. While the 49ers improved in each of his first three years (from 10-20 in 2010-2011 to 21-12 in 2012-2013), last season's team underperformed at 17-14. Additionally, this season's team, while playing one of the hardest OOC schedules in the country, was a disappointing 6-7 at the time of his leave. It should be noted that his staff's recruiting has been fantastic to date.

Thoughts: Hot. It's tough to tell how his medical issues may play into the AD's decision. Is it a convenient reason for the parties to mutually agree to part ways? Will he be forced to step down because of the toll it's taking on him? One thing is for sure, Charlotte fans expect more from their teams than 1 post-season appearance in his four full seasons as a coach.

Other notable coaches: Roy Williams, UNC-CHeat (may be forced out because of violations); Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee; Andy Enfield, USC
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 10:51 AM by TribeNiner.)
01-27-2015 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sfg22 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNT
RE: Coaches on the Hot Seat
Unfortunately, Benford is not on the hot seat because our admin would rather save a buck than put a decent product on the court. Our attendance is about a third of what it was before Benford started, who took over a program that had not had a losing season in almost a decade before he took over, had an extremely talented roster, and promptly guided them to a 12-20 record.
01-27-2015 11:16 AM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
What about Anthony Evans at FIU? FIU basketball still seems stuck in first gear.
Brooks Thompson seat should be flamming. UTSA needs to figure out something with its men's basketball program.
01-27-2015 12:16 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
UAB:

6-1 in conference with a 3 point heart-breaker to the #2 team in conference.

Our OOC slate this year consisted of: *Wisconsin, *Florida, *UCLA, LSU, and @UNC. Those are all top 100 RPI losses for one of the the nation's youngest team. This was intended to be a learning experience and a trial by fire.

*Battle for Atlantis neutral site games.

Basically, ignore the OOC numbers. We were getting ready for the conference season all year. It was a conference championship or bust kind of schedule.
01-27-2015 12:44 PM
Herdmeister Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
The Herd's past 2 seasons were terrible. Danny D'Antoni came in and cleared out most of the talent we had when he came in. Nobody had any expectations of any success this year and that continues. HOWEVER, he is teaching the thin talent he has on hand a new system and they seem to be getting it. We have been in many, many games including single digit losses to WVU and Penn State. Herd finally struck gold with an unexpected win over UTEP last Saturday. I still think a spot in the conference tournament is possible.
With what he will have coming back next year along with transfers that will be eligible and other newcomers, I believe that the future is much brighter for Herd hoops!
01-27-2015 02:35 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Brooks Thompson should GO!!!!!!!!!!

Any UTSA basketball fans out there?????????
01-27-2015 03:18 PM
Advertisement

Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Currently, I think UTSA, UNT, and Charlotte need new coaches.
01-27-2015 03:26 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(01-27-2015 03:18 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Brooks Thompson should GO!!!!!!!!!!

Any UTSA basketball fans out there?????????

Agree coach Thompson has run his course. We need a coach that can run some defense and recruit a little better. JUCOs are only stop gaps they don't vault the program.
01-27-2015 04:35 PM
Timo99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
If Charlotte doesn't have a new coach next season, I will be very sad.
01-27-2015 05:04 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-27-2015 05:04 PM)Timo99 Wrote:  If Charlotte doesn't have a new coach next season, I will be very sad.

Yep.

At this point I hope we keep losing because it is pretty obvious that Odom isn't much of a coach either.

I just want us to clean house. We'll probably go cheap and hire some random assistant coach again though.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 06:55 PM by Niner National.)
01-27-2015 06:54 PM
Theflash Offline
1st String

We are lucky here at WKU. Harper got us through the dumpster fire that was Ken McDonald. It has taken a while, but he definitely has the program rolling the right way now.
01-27-2015 08:52 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2015 08:52 PM)Theflash Wrote:  We are lucky here at WKU. Harper got us through the dumpster fire that was Ken McDonald. It has taken a while, but he definitely has the program rolling the right way now.
Seems to be recruiting well too. 2015 class looks solid.
01-27-2015 09:02 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Floyd should probably be on the hot seat, too. Unfortunately, it seems like most of our fans think that he's our coach for life.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 09:09 PM by STexMiner.)
01-27-2015 09:05 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2015 09:05 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  Floyd should probably be on the hot seat, too. Unfortunately, it seems like most of our fans seem to think that he's our coach for life.

The problem is that UTEP can do a lot worse than they are now. UTEP deserves better, but it is hard to transition from a guy that wins almost enough to have you in the NCAA's every season.
01-27-2015 09:07 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

(01-27-2015 05:04 PM)Timo99 Wrote:  If Charlotte doesn't have a new coach next season, I will be very sad.

I suspect you shall be quite sad then.
01-27-2015 09:17 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-27-2015 09:07 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 09:05 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  Floyd should probably be on the hot seat, too. Unfortunately, it seems like most of our fans think that he's our coach for life.

The problem is that UTEP can do a lot worse than they are now. UTEP deserves better, but it is hard to transition from a guy that wins almost enough to have you in the NCAA's every season.

That may be true, but at some point, almost isn't going to cut it. He has to get us to the tournament some time soon. As in, if not this year, next year.
01-27-2015 09:18 PM
Advertisement

BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

You can take Haase off of the hot seat. He got an extension through 2019, two weeks ago. He walked into a dumpster fire upon his arrival to UAB. None of the returning players fit his system. He's got a roster full of his own players now. Has one of the 15 youngest teams in the country. He needs time, and he'll get it. The kids are playing really well right now.
01-27-2015 09:42 PM
Theflash Offline
1st String

Serious question... how much time should a new coach get? 3yrs. ? 4yrs.? People were ready to run Harper off in mid December this yr. It's year 3 for him. It takes time to get out messes some of these coaches make.
I say 4 yrs. if progress is being made, kids are going to class, showing class on and off the floor, etc.
What say you?
01-28-2015 08:05 AM
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(01-28-2015 08:05 AM)Theflash Wrote:  Serious question... how much time should a new coach get? 3yrs. ? 4yrs.? People were ready to run Harper off in mid December this yr. It's year 3 for him. It takes time to get out messes some of these coaches make.
I say 4 yrs. if progress is being made, kids are going to class, showing class on and off the floor, etc.
What say you?

It depends on the situation. Tim Floyd came to UTEP with a team full of seniors that had just come off of an NCAA tournament run. The team lost AT HOME to Memphis in the CUSA championship game his first season. The team went to the NIT and lost first round. Since that time the team has only been to the CBI. Does that really count as post season? AND LOST FIRST ROUND. He will for sure get through next year but another CBI tournament level performance this year will get the seat very warm. People have said Floyd has had bad luck but I am of the opinion that the coach creates the "luck" UTEP pays Floyd over 600k and IMO isn't getting a good return on the investment. Any other coach at UTEP would have been run out of town for Floyd's performance but because of his ties to Coach Haskins he has been given free reign over the program and the end doesn't seem to be insight.

As far as other coaches who take over programs under difficult situations, I think 4 years is fair as long as progress is being made each year.
01-28-2015 08:59 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-28-2015 08:05 AM)Theflash Wrote:  Serious question... how much time should a new coach get? 3yrs. ? 4yrs.? People were ready to run Harper off in mid December this yr. It's year 3 for him. It takes time to get out messes some of these coaches make.
What say you?

It depends on the crap the new coach inherits. In Charlotte's case it was pretty bad. However, no more than 4-5 years. By then, you know what you have.
01-28-2015 09:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.