Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tech Fans need a little Info
Bookmark and Share
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
Tech Fans need a little Info
We will be heading down on Thursday and with a 6pm start and a 10 hour drive I can't afford to waste very much time...

When we go to Monroe for ball games we take I55 out of Memphis (freaking st) then Natchez Trace Parkway outside of Jackson Miss and to I20

Is that the quickest way to get to Ruston or is it better to take I40 from Memphis (freaking st) to Little-Rock then 167 to Ruston? We been through I40 to Little Rock 5 times in the last year and 4 of those we had to sit in traffic for about a hour because of road work on I40 after leaving West Memphis.

I know to be safe we should leave on Wednesday but I really don't want to spend A night in Ruston. My plan is to leave Owensboro KY at 5:30am get there watch the game then make the 5 hour drive to New Orleans before getting a room...then go fishing all day Friday before heading up to Hattiesburg on Saturday.

For those that made the trip from Ruston to Memphis give me a time frame and a route
01-23-2015 02:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Tech Fans need a little Info
Ruston is 20 minutes West of Monroe on I20, so it's basically the same trip.
01-23-2015 08:11 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2015 08:11 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  Ruston is 20 minutes West of Monroe on I20, so it's basically the same trip.

I know that but when we went to Monroe we had time to spare. This time we'll probably be cutting it close with in a hour of tip off and my GPS says I40 out of Memphis and 167 is 30 minutes faster.

But that's not the case most of the time when you have highways going through small towns. And especially the I40 construction that we ran into on all trips (other than when we took US70 the one time.

So if anyone has made the trip both ways which way is the quickest

I'm trying to be cheap and cut 1/4 ($150.00) off the trip with the extra day but we will probably just come down Wednesday
01-23-2015 09:11 AM
LEEDAWG Offline
Water Engineer

I would say I20 is still the best option.
Put the pedal to the metal from Jackson to Ruston and that bogus 30 minutes can be made up easily.
01-23-2015 10:17 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2015 10:17 AM)LEEDAWG Wrote:  I would say I20 is still the best option.
Put the pedal to the metal from Jackson to Ruston and that bogus 30 minutes can be made up easily.

That wouldn't have been a problem a few months ago but I picked up a 90 in a 65 in a spot where I knew they always sit (wasn't paying attention)...Carter Co Ky right before you get to the W. Virg line on the way to our game @Navy

So now I have to slow it down :) my top speed recorded on my GPS is at 132. I didn't stay there for long 5 minutes or so. I got in between 3 cars doing the same and we didn't pass another car for 10 miles. Three of us backed it off to around 95 for the next 60 miles.

Anyone know if there are any good fishing lakes with in 30 miles of Ruston that rents boats? If we end up coming down on Wednesday I would love to go fishing Thursday morning. My fishing taste runs from deep sea charter to spending afternoons catching hand size Bream and everything in between. Other words I love to fish from monsters to small Bream it really doesn't matter as long as something is biting :)
01-23-2015 10:44 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-23-2015 09:11 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(01-23-2015 08:11 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  Ruston is 20 minutes West of Monroe on I20, so it's basically the same trip.

I know that but when we went to Monroe we had time to spare. This time we'll probably be cutting it close with in a hour of tip off and my GPS says I40 out of Memphis and 167 is 30 minutes faster.

But that's not the case most of the time when you have highways going through small towns. And especially the I40 construction that we ran into on all trips (other than when we took US70 the one time.

So if anyone has made the trip both ways which way is the quickest

I'm trying to be cheap and cut 1/4 ($150.00) off the trip with the extra day but we will probably just come down Wednesday

This is a no brainer. Take I-55 South from Memphis to Jackson where you hook up with I-20 West to Ruston, non stop, no traffic signals.
01-23-2015 11:07 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
For once I agree with EE. Memphis to Jackson to Ruston.
01-23-2015 12:51 PM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(01-23-2015 12:51 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  For once I agree with EE. Memphis to Jackson to Ruston.

The man clearly knows Dogpatch.
01-23-2015 09:22 PM
SICemDAWGS! Offline
Special Teams

Me personally I'd get on the Natchez Trace and ride it from Ridgeland to the other side of Clinton before getting onto I-20. I always seem to come up on a wreck on either 220 or 55 whenever I attempt to go through Jackson.
01-23-2015 09:44 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2015 09:44 PM)SICemDAWGS! Wrote:  Me personally I'd get on the Natchez Trace and ride it from Ridgeland to the other side of Clinton before getting onto I-20. I always seem to come up on a wreck on either 220 or 55 whenever I attempt to go through Jackson.

Yeah that's probably what we will do

I hope someone can give me some info a good fishing lake with boat rentals because I really hate the ideal of maybe running into a wreck and being stuck in traffic for a hour or two and miss the game. So after thinking more about it we will be coming down on Wednesday.
01-23-2015 11:45 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
WKUG, you don't want to mess with I40 Memphis to Little Rock. Heavy construction in different stretches. There are certain points where you have to drop down to US 70 if you don't want to sit on the freeway for about 10 minutes.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 05:12 PM by chiefsfan.)
01-24-2015 05:10 PM
SICemDAWGS! Offline
Special Teams

(01-23-2015 11:45 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(01-23-2015 09:44 PM)SICemDAWGS! Wrote:  Me personally I'd get on the Natchez Trace and ride it from Ridgeland to the other side of Clinton before getting onto I-20. I always seem to come up on a wreck on either 220 or 55 whenever I attempt to go through Jackson.

I hope someone can give me some info a good fishing lake with boat rentals because I really hate the ideal of maybe running into a wreck and being stuck in traffic for a hour or two and miss the game. So after thinking more about it we will be coming down on Wednesday.

If you're looking for fishing might want to forward this conversation to http://www.latechbbb.com. Will find the necessary info there. Personally I enjoy fishing on lake D'arbonne, but I don't know of any rentals with motors. If the game had been this past week I would have enjoyed showing you some of our hospitality. Unfortunately this coming up week I will be away for work. Definitely go to the website above though, someone will have the contacts on one of the area fishing locations to get you setup.
01-24-2015 05:30 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-24-2015 05:30 PM)SICemDAWGS! Wrote:  

If you're looking for fishing might want to forward this conversation to http://www.latechbbb.com. Will find the necessary info there. Personally I enjoy fishing on lake D'arbonne, but I don't know of any rentals with motors. If the game had been this past week I would have enjoyed showing you some of our hospitality. Unfortunately this coming up week I will be away for work. Definitely go to the website above though, someone will have the contacts on one of the area fishing locations to get you setup.

Thanks for the link and it's looks like the weather will be prefect to fish in on Thursday. We have a local that is setting us up in West Monroe with a boat to use for Thursday and supposedly the best fishing in the whole state. Yeah I've heard that before :) I had completely forgotten there's a WKU grad that my son went to school with that works in the office of the Duck Commander Headquarters. She asked around and set us up...

no no not with the the folks she works for...she said the best in West Monroe.

One more question if anyone can answer it where does the visiting team (player/team passes) usually sit in your arena? At Western it's the first few rows behind the visiting teams bench and it's the same way at the FU's. But looking at the Tech seating it looks like that is the student section..9-13

While I would rather use the freebies and sit will the small amount of Western fans I also want to be able to see the game. So if it's like a few SBC teams and we get put up high (Ark St is the worse..nosebleed behind the basket...I upgraded to mid court row 4) I don't have a problem sitting with Tech fans or buying lower bowl tickets.
01-26-2015 10:59 AM
NanoDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: LaTech
(01-26-2015 10:59 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(01-24-2015 05:30 PM)SICemDAWGS! Wrote:  

Thanks for the link and it's looks like the weather will be prefect to fish in on Thursday. We have a local that is setting us up in West Monroe with a boat to use for Thursday and supposedly the best fishing in the whole state. Yeah I've heard that before :) I had completely forgotten there's a WKU grad that my son went to school with that works in the office of the Duck Commander Headquarters. She asked around and set us up...

no no not with the the folks she works for...she said the best in West Monroe.

One more question if anyone can answer it where does the visiting team (player/team passes) usually sit in your arena? At Western it's the first few rows behind the visiting teams bench and it's the same way at the FU's. But looking at the Tech seating it looks like that is the student section..9-13

While I would rather use the freebies and sit will the small amount of Western fans I also want to be able to see the game. So if it's like a few SBC teams and we get put up high (Ark St is the worse..nosebleed behind the basket...I upgraded to mid court row 4) I don't have a problem sitting with Tech fans or buying lower bowl tickets.

just the way the TAC setup, there really is no bad seat.
01-26-2015 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.