Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if a SBC school hired an Urban Myer/Nick Saban
Bookmark and Share
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
What if a SBC school hired an Urban Myer/Nick Saban
So hypothetically speaking, let's say your school has a donor step up and say that he will pay the full contract for an Urban Myer or Nick Saban. Your school hires one or the other. The rest of your athletic budget for the immediate future stays the same....

What kind of an impact would that have on the team, recruiting, and what kind of 5 year impact do you think it would have?

Do you immediately start being the top ranked G5 team, or do you just become an above average G5 team.
01-13-2015 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: What if a SBC school hired an Urban Myer/Nick Saban
I think it would be newsworthy for a while and maybe you get a bump in recruiting for the first or even second year...but if I am a 4 or 5 star athlete and I visit say Florida, Texas and Georgia State, no matter who is the coach I am going to notice the wiiiiide gap. How many are going to sign just because of that HC? That donor's money might be better spent on funding an IPF.
01-13-2015 08:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
If either of these coaches agreed to come to a Belt school, I'd say it's a sign of one of two things:

1. Hell has frozen over . .
2. The Apocalypse . . .

Take your pick.
01-13-2015 08:42 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
They would obviously do well but would be a shock to not have all the extras that come with a 100 million dollar budget.. They wouldn't have assistants wiping their azz.
01-13-2015 09:31 AM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(01-13-2015 08:27 AM)panama Wrote:  I think it would be newsworthy for a while and maybe you get a bump in recruiting for the first or even second year...but if I am a 4 or 5 star athlete and I visit say Florida, Texas and Georgia State, no matter who is the coach I am going to notice the wiiiiide gap. How many are going to sign just because of that HC?

...enough to get you out of the SBC within 5 years.
01-13-2015 09:36 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
I used to entertain the scenario of what kind of notoriety Bear Bryant would have had if he'd been at a smaller school instead of Texas A&M and Alabama. He'd have been the same coach but he wouldn't have had the resources available to him. I think he would have been successful....like Eddie Robinson at Grambling State....but he wouldn't have been as well known as he is now. I think the same thing would happen to Myer or Saban. Their route to fame (as they know it now) would have been muted. There are a lot of great coaches out there who we'll never know due to circumstances beyond anyone's control.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 09:38 AM by SOT1977.)
01-13-2015 09:36 AM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(01-13-2015 08:21 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  So hypothetically speaking, let's say your school has a donor step up and say that he will pay the full contract for an Urban Myer or Nick Saban. Your school hires one or the other. The rest of your athletic budget for the immediate future stays the same....

What kind of an impact would that have on the team, recruiting, and what kind of 5 year impact do you think it would have?

Do you immediately start being the top ranked G5 team, or do you just become an above average G5 team.

Your scenario wouldn't happen (in my opinion) because a coach like that would want the budget expanded, facilities, upgraded, and overall the department elevated due to their past stints.

However... IF the stars aligned JUST right and such a thing played out, pollsters would artificially inflate the team for a year. Recruiting would make a BIG jump, and television exposure would probably double/triple in a short time.
01-13-2015 09:42 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Gary Patterson would be an example of a great coach who stayed, he has helped take then from cusa to the big 12 and in the argument of the playoff. He also had the resources to grow so it's a little different.
01-13-2015 09:46 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(01-13-2015 09:42 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(01-13-2015 08:21 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  So hypothetically speaking, let's say your school has a donor step up and say that he will pay the full contract for an Urban Myer or Nick Saban. Your school hires one or the other. The rest of your athletic budget for the immediate future stays the same....

Your scenario wouldn't happen (in my opinion) because a coach like that would want the budget expanded, facilities, upgraded, and overall the department elevated due to their past stints.

However... IF the stars aligned JUST right and such a thing played out, pollsters would artificially inflate the team for a year. Recruiting would make a BIG jump, and television exposure would probably double/triple in a short time.

no kidding... lol.

That's why I said hypothetically. This is a "imagine if" thread.

That and I won $275 million in the lottery after taxes, and I'm thinking about doing this.
01-13-2015 09:48 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama

NC, what IF Santa Claus was real and Rudolph's nose was red?
01-13-2015 10:29 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(01-13-2015 10:29 AM)JoeJag Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao
01-13-2015 10:33 AM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I would ask him for a new Mustang GT350R for Christmas next year.
01-13-2015 10:35 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

Screw Santa being real . .. I want that Leprechaun sitting on the Pot O Gold at the end of the Rainbow to be REAL . . ..
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 08:51 PM by Bobcat87.)
01-13-2015 10:43 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?
01-13-2015 09:46 PM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
(01-13-2015 10:43 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Screw Santa being real . .. I want that Leprechaun sitting on the Pot O Gold at the end of the Rainbow to be REAL . . ..
Sometimes Leprechauns be in trees though.

01-14-2015 10:58 AM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Neither one of those coaches is absolutely special. Just about anyone can win at their respective schools.
01-14-2015 03:37 PM
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(01-14-2015 03:37 PM)eagleskins Wrote:  Neither one of those coaches is absolutely special. Just about anyone can win at their respective schools.

Yes, the only 2 coaches to win NC at different FBS schools.

Nothing special about those 2 coaches.

Swing and a miss.
01-14-2015 03:40 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Fans may show up to games after 5 years, as long as NMSU had a winning record against UNM & UTEP.
01-14-2015 03:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Give any one of 40 coaches 5 years at Alabama or Ohio State they win. Saban never won a NC, though. This playoff tells you all you need to know about the BCS.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 04:01 PM by eagleskins.)
01-14-2015 04:01 PM
RedWolfington Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Red Wolves
(01-13-2015 10:35 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  

I would ask him for a new Mustang GT350R for Christmas next year.

Of course a GSU fan would want a Mustang. 01-wingedeagle
01-14-2015 04:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.