Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

What happened to Shaq???
Bookmark and Share
passat25 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
What happened to Shaq???
Dude is just horrendous right now... but his lack of effort is baffling... Something is wrong when he shows more energy and enthusiasm while celebrating McDowell points at the bench... He was an All American coming out of high school for cry sake... No wonder Billy Donovan ripped him off when he was in the U18 National Team.

Thanks God we got Burrell this year.. Even Hawkins deserves more minutes than Shaq.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014 07:15 PM by passat25.)
12-20-2014 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

RE: What happened to Shaq???
Big disappointment and seemingly only getting worse.
12-20-2014 07:14 PM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
Is this a surprise? This is a common trend with our bigs.
12-20-2014 07:16 PM
motiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tiger's
Just hold on a second, we will here thats its the coachs fault
12-20-2014 07:21 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2014 07:14 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  Big disappointment and seemingly only getting worse.

The problem with Goodwin... He got talent but he loves to be in cruise control.. He wants to play at his own speed... That's why he is not a consistent effort guy every time.

I believe Pastner has already given up on Shaq after yelling at him for the past three years... Dude just doesn't get it.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014 07:26 PM by passat25.)
12-20-2014 07:25 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
I think Shaq's problem start at the defensive end.
12-20-2014 07:28 PM
Advertisement

tigersroll Offline
All American

(12-20-2014 07:28 PM)450bench Wrote:  I think Shaq's problem start at the defensive end.

Bingo
12-20-2014 08:08 PM
tigers1125 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
(12-20-2014 07:25 PM)passat25 Wrote:  
(12-20-2014 07:14 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  Big disappointment and seemingly only getting worse.

The problem with Goodwin... He got talent but he loves to be in cruise control.. He wants to play at his own speed... That's why he is not a consistent effort guy every time.

I believe Pastner has already given up on Shaq after yelling at him for the past three years... Dude just doesn't get it.

Isn't Shaq involved in a lot of Frat activity? Promised to give it up but I'm not sure he did.
12-20-2014 08:10 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(12-20-2014 07:28 PM)450bench Wrote:  I think Shaq's problem start at the defensive end.

His problem starts with his mind, it's mental! And someone needs to work with him on using his body;positioning;footwork and how to build on his strengths.....He also has confidence issues that keep him from developing into a force offensively...Once he understands what he can/cannot do in his role, confidence will skyrocket...he will know/understand his role;what he is good @; intangibles he brings to the team and excel at that first....Then build and progress from there!!!! Shaq really needed Pellom to be a leader to him and teach him through practice...Pellom wasn't physically capable,therefore Shaq never really benefited from Pellom's time here! Hawkins & Austin are starting to benefit from Godfrey...If Shaq opens up; realizes he is weak in certain areas ;gets in and starts to mix it up with these guys in practice....we could see some improvements

Until then...He is just a head case
12-20-2014 08:20 PM
450bench Offline

(12-20-2014 08:20 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

His problem starts with his mind, it's mental! And someone needs to work with him on using his body;positioning;footwork and how to build on his strengths.....He also has confidence issues that keep him from developing into a force offensively...Once he understands what he can/cannot do in his role, confidence will skyrocket...he will know/understand his role;what he is good @; intangibles he brings to the team and excel at that first....Then build and progress from there!!!! Shaq really needed Pellom to be a leader to him and teach him through practice...Pellom wasn't physically capable,therefore Shaq never really benefited from Pellom's time here! Hawkins & Austin are starting to benefit from Godfrey...If Shaq opens up; realizes he is weak in certain areas ;gets in and starts to mix it up with these guys in practice....we could see some improvements

He's far from a head case. He's a great kid in a slump. His confidence will get better if he was told to play defense differently. Don't guard a big 20 ft from the hoop and stop playing your man so closely. Keep one foot in the paint all the time, period. Stop flashing to the top because Shaq cant play defense running toward the basket. He needs some coaching. If it takes sitting him, do it. Pastner did the right thing today sitting him.
12-20-2014 08:38 PM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

He takes after his leader.
12-20-2014 08:40 PM
Advertisement

passat25 Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2014 08:40 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  He takes after his leader.

You mean Tarik Black!?
12-20-2014 08:54 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

May not understand what I am referring to? Maybe headcase is not the way to describe his struggles.....But what I mean is it's mental....between his ears...His mental capacity is at odds with the physical as regards to translating whats in his head to the court....obviously physically,there's is something that Shaq can do to help this team and any team for that matter...It has to be broken down and simplified 03-idea in order for Shaq to produce.....Start by doing the little things first......Let's get the basics down and we will progress from there..... In seeing videos of his from high school, there was never an impression from my standpoint that he was fundamentally gifted/sound as a basketball player.....I had this conversation with my son before he came here and this is where we stand today......Shaq lacks sound fundamental BB principles and it starts with him mentally applying himself to those fundamentals in order to gain confidence to grow into a roll and become confident in that said role......he obviously has the physical ability just has no unearthly idea how to apply it!
12-20-2014 08:58 PM
450bench Offline

(12-20-2014 08:38 PM)450bench Wrote:  

He's far from a head case. He's a great kid in a slump. His confidence will get better if he was told to play defense differently. Don't guard a big 20 ft from the hoop and stop playing your man so closely. Keep one foot in the paint all the time, period. Stop flashing to the top because Shaq cant play defense running toward the basket. He needs some coaching. If it takes sitting him, do it. Pastner did the right thing today sitting him.

(12-20-2014 08:58 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  May not understand what I am referring to? Maybe headcase is not the way to describe his struggles.....But what I mean is it's mental....between his ears...His mental capacity is at odds with the physical as regards to translating whats in his head to the court....obviously physically,there's is something that Shaq can do to help this team and any team for that matter...It has to be broken down and simplified 03-idea in order for Shaq to produce.....Start by doing the little things first......Let's get the basics down and we will progress from there..... In seeing videos of his from high school, there was never an impression from my standpoint that he was fundamentally gifted/sound as a basketball player.....I had this conversation with my son before he came here and this is where we stand today......Shaq lacks sound fundamental BB principles and it starts with him mentally applying himself to those fundamentals in order to gain confidence to grow into a roll and become confident in that said role......he obviously has the physical ability just has no unearthly idea how to apply it!

Agreed
12-20-2014 09:01 PM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

Maybe he is just sick and afraid to tell anyone.
12-20-2014 09:09 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(12-20-2014 09:01 PM)450bench Wrote:  
(12-20-2014 08:38 PM)450bench Wrote:  

(12-20-2014 08:58 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  May not understand what I am referring to? Maybe headcase is not the way to describe his struggles.....But what I mean is it's mental....between his ears...His mental capacity is at odds with the physical as regards to translating whats in his head to the court....obviously physically,there's is something that Shaq can do to help this team and any team for that matter...It has to be broken down and simplified 03-idea in order for Shaq to produce.....Start by doing the little things first......Let's get the basics down and we will progress from there..... In seeing videos of his from high school, there was never an impression from my standpoint that he was fundamentally gifted/sound as a basketball player.....I had this conversation with my son before he came here and this is where we stand today......Shaq lacks sound fundamental BB principles and it starts with him mentally applying himself to those fundamentals in order to gain confidence to grow into a roll and become confident in that said role......he obviously has the physical ability just has no unearthly idea how to apply it!

Agreed

Preci8 that +BIGXII I apologize tremendously if it seemed that I was attempting to assassinate this young mans character....i appreciate his efforts and leadership as well as values as he would be a tremendous force for us if we would just simplify his role a bit...
12-20-2014 09:09 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
In warmups, some BB people I was sitting with in Vegas commented on the comparative difference between Shaq and Austin in the warmup drill.

With Austin, it was get the ball, do one move, put it in the hoop. With Shaq, it was get the ball do some moves, put it in the hoop..maybe. His moves did not look like any game moves. These same folks said what has already been mentioned...They were not overly impressed with his skills in High School.

I'm sure any of what I've just said is pretty apparent, though.

Let it be known...lol..that I am an unconditional supporter of Shaq and have a strong feeling he will get this season together.
12-20-2014 09:11 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(12-20-2014 08:54 PM)passat25 Wrote:  
(12-20-2014 08:40 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  He takes after his leader.

You mean Tarik Black!?

lol. Who is Memtiger's leader? I didn't know that.
12-20-2014 09:13 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(12-20-2014 09:11 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  In warmups, some BB people I was sitting with in Vegas commented on the comparative difference between Shaq and Austin in the warmup drill.

With Austin, it was get the ball, do one move, put it in the hoop. With Shaq, it was get the ball do some moves, put it in the hoop..maybe. His moves did not look like any game moves. These same folks said what has already been mentioned...They were not overly impressed with his skills in High School.

I'm sure any of what I've just said is pretty apparent, though.

Let it be known...lol..that I am an unconditional supporter of Shaq and have a strong feeling he will get this season together.

+ BIGXII That's a gr8 point...Just as with Tarik; Some players respond better;evolve;flourish in different situations/circumstances....There maybe a coach that can teach Shaq to get the most out of his abilities....But it's apparent that he is NOT a player that is going to develop and flourish without a structure to begin with, as teaching Bigs is defiantly NOT this administrations strong-suit!
12-20-2014 09:21 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
I hope he's not following the same pattern that other potential impact players have followed under Pastner before him.
12-20-2014 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.