WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When We Get The First More Will Come
John52168 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Army

Crappies
When We Get The First More Will Come
Most people here know of the invisible brick walls that have plagued our football team through the years. Well, WMU went all-in with coach Fleck. After listening to coach Fleck and hislove of WMU and Kalamazoo, his love for Kathy B and his commitment to raising Broncos football to elite status, not to mention the greatest single season turnaround in WMU football history, I'm all-in. Row The Boat. With that said, those invisible walls eventually will come down.

When the Broncos finally get the first:

Bowl win
Outright MAC Championship
Nationally televised game
Top 25 ranking
Victory over Michigan/Michigan State

(these are just a few I can think of)

More will follow.
12-19-2014 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
RE: When We Get The First More Will Come
Victory over a ranked program
12-19-2014 09:20 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
While this year certainly was a nice turn around, this is a fickle league.

I'd wager to say most thought BG was a shoe in to dominate the league this year. Didn't happen. Matt Johnson went down and a lot changed. Injuries, schedules, it can all turn things upside down.

I'm sure the folks at CMU thought they were heading for a dynasty. When we were beating Marshall during the Darnell era I thought he was a genius.

Nobody is sitting back and waiting in this league. Miami's got a lot of coin and is building a great facility. Ball State and NIU are preparing to expand. Akron has a state of the art stadium. UT simply keeps on keeping on. BG has put money into their facilities. Even CMU is building a Motel 6 in the parking lot behind the stadium.

Point is, one 8 win season does not mean championships and top 25s are just around the corner. To be a top 25 team you probably need 11 wins and at least one quality win over a P5. We schedule pay day games, quite often against very good teams, and almost always on the road. So having a season with one or two losses is highly difficult.

I'm just saying. Don't count your chickens, and don't put the cart before the horse. Your always one or two key injuries from being a 5-7 team vs and 8-4 team.
12-19-2014 09:36 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
I'm 100% with Dip on this one.

I think we are well on our way, and the nice recruiting classes, facility upgrades, donor relations, huge turnaround, and just general direction of the program are outstanding... BUT... we haven't accomplished anything until we do ALL of the following:

1. Win a bowl game
2. Win a MAC Championship
3. 10-win season

Even then, we will need at least 2-3 seasons of sustained dominance (NIU and Marshall-like), big statement win, and a Top 25 ranking to get anywhere in the college football landscape. But I do think it's possible with this staff and our recent commitment to football.
12-19-2014 09:51 AM
John52168 Offline
All American

Crappies
Listen guys, I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight. After 106 years of mediocrity you can't expect success overnight, or can you? It takes 75 years for an oak tree to go through a major growth spurt. Most of the negative comments I have seen have come from the older alumni and fans. These are the one's who are like the hound dog lying on the porch howling. When the farmer's neighbor asks him what's wrong the farmer says his dog is laying on a rusty nail. His neighbor asks him why his dog doesn't move. The farmer replies with, "Because it doesn't bother him enough." We have a lot of people that support the Broncos but 106 years of mediocrity doesn't bother them yet and they don't want to see change.

I know one season doesn't make a dynasty. Sure the MAC is a tough conference or keep telling yourself that. The MAC is top heavy (BGSU, UT, NIU and CMU are always in the mix) after that the quality drops dramatically.

I may be overly optimistic but it beats sitting on a rusty nail because I'm to stupid to move.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 12:59 PM by John52168.)
12-19-2014 10:49 AM
Cant make this sh t up Offline
2nd String

Fleck is recruiting kids that are WINNERS...just look at these last 2 classes. None of those expectations of winning MAC Championships, Bowl games etc...are out of reach for this team. Injuries will be the key as someone already mentioned.
12-19-2014 12:51 PM
Advertisement

Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2014 10:49 AM)John52168 Wrote:  Listen guys, I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight. After 106 years of mediocrity you can't expect success overnight, or can you? It takes 75 years for an oak tree to go through a major growth spurt. Most of the negative comments I have seen have come from the older alumni and fans. These are the one's who are like the hound dog lying on the porch howling. When the farmer's neighbor asks him what's wrong the farmer says his dog is laying on a rusty nail. His neighbor asks him why his dog doesn't move. The farmer replies with, "Because it doesn't bother him enough." We have a lot of people that support the Broncos but 106 years of mediocrity doesn't bother them yet and they don't want to see change.

I know one season doesn't make a dynasty. Sure the MAC is a tough conference or keep telling yourself that. The MAC is top heavy (BGSU, UT, NIU and CMU are always in the mix) after that the quality drops dramatically.

I may be overly optimistic but it beats sitting on a rusty nail because I'm to stupid to move.

I know it is like beating my head on a wall, but 106 years of mediocrity? Really?
12-19-2014 01:39 PM
John52168 Offline
All American

Crappies
(12-19-2014 01:39 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  
(12-19-2014 10:49 AM)John52168 Wrote:  Listen guys, I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight. After 106 years of mediocrity you can't expect success overnight, or can you? It takes 75 years for an oak tree to go through a major growth spurt. Most of the negative comments I have seen have come from the older alumni and fans. These are the one's who are like the hound dog lying on the porch howling. When the farmer's neighbor asks him what's wrong the farmer says his dog is laying on a rusty nail. His neighbor asks him why his dog doesn't move. The farmer replies with, "Because it doesn't bother him enough." We have a lot of people that support the Broncos but 106 years of mediocrity doesn't bother them yet and they don't want to see change.

I know it is like beating my head on a wall, but 106 years of mediocrity? Really?

Except for the blowout win against Grand Rapids Veterinary, a co-MAC Championship in 67 years of of play in the MAC and a 0-5 all-time bowl record, with an all-time win-loss-tie pct. record of 527-429-21 (.550), when has tne Broncos ever had any sustained level of success, not to mention a 10 or more win season?
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 03:41 PM by John52168.)
12-19-2014 02:16 PM
Doo Online
1st String

75-0 over CMU :)
12-19-2014 03:06 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Bowl win
Outright MAC Championship
Nationally televised game
Top 25 ranking
Victory over Michigan/Michigan State

Well, we're already accomplishing one of those tomorrow, possibly two. Here's my list, spawning from yours, ordered in degree-of-difficulty:

- Nationally televised game (DONE; Potato Bowl is nationally Televised)
- Bowl win (very possible with all the Sun Belt & somewhat weak CUSA matchups within 1-3 years)
- Beating a under-.500 P5 team (can be difficult or not too difficult; here's looking at you NW & Illinois in 2016...)
- Beating a bowl-eligible P5 team (difficult)
- Beating a ranked opponent (difficult; would need luck too, beating a bit of an over-rated team if one means ranking at-that-time)
- Winning @CMU 3 times in a row (yes, it's THAT difficult)
- Winning the MAC West (very difficult; requires beating NIU and Toledo, or losing to just 1 but being undefeated otherwise in the MAC)
- MAC Championship (a bit more difficult; requires above + winning Champ game)
- Top 25 Ranking (a step or two behind MACC; winning MACC will require us getting over a hump, and we should have at least have more than a handful of votes to be ranked)
- Beating MSU next year (extremely difficult; MSU is going to be prepared for us, coming into our house)
- ACCESS BOWL (very very difficult; Usually be ranked at least in Top 20, if not within Top 16-18; must be best in G5; Better than NIU, Boise, Colorado St, Memphis, Cinci, E Carolina, UCF, Utah State, etc)
- WINNING THE ACCESS BOWL (virtually impossible; Fleck would most likely be hired away by the time we'd play it which would lessen our chances even More)
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 05:01 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-19-2014 03:40 PM
John52168 Offline
All American

Crappies
(12-19-2014 03:06 PM)Doo Wrote:  75-0 over CMU :)

lol Oops, I missed that one!
12-19-2014 03:42 PM
Advertisement

The Colonel Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(12-19-2014 03:40 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  Here's my list, spawning from yours, ordered in degree-of-difficulty:
- Winning @CMU two times in a row (yes, it's THAT difficult)

Checked off. (2012 and 2014)
12-19-2014 04:43 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-19-2014 04:43 PM)The Colonel Wrote:  
(12-19-2014 03:40 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  Here's my list, spawning from yours, ordered in degree-of-difficulty:
- Winning @CMU two times in a row (yes, it's THAT difficult)

Checked off. (2012 and 2014)

Oh sheeate -- you're right. I was thinking ahead, but yeah -- that is checked off. I guess I should amp it to *3* times, which I'll do now. :)
12-19-2014 05:01 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

oK OK already.

We are so fricking mediocre.

Come back in another 106 years and we can double check that list.

Mediocre U.
12-19-2014 05:16 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(12-19-2014 08:51 AM)John52168 Wrote:  Most people here know of the invisible brick walls that have plagued our football team through the years.

That only matters to the weak willed folks that buy into that nonsense. It is a built in excuse. Kind of like "we NEVER win in Mt. Pleasant" or "we can never win on national TV." For those who spout these things, you are setting yourself up for more of the same. What happened in the past is PASSED, done with unless you keep reminding yourself of it. If so, you will probably repeat it.

PJ's mantra is that you can not see the future but you can plot a course. You are facing backwards as you RTB. You experience the present and can view things from the past. But you are heading in a new direction together.

Lose the fatalism. I know it is part of our "Bronco charm" but it is stupid.

We may lose tomorrow (or not). If we lose it will have been to a team that played better and is better. No excuses. RTB
12-19-2014 09:25 PM
John52168 Offline
All American

Crappies
(12-19-2014 09:25 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(12-19-2014 08:51 AM)John52168 Wrote:  Most people here know of the invisible brick walls that have plagued our football team through the years.

That only matters to the weak willed folks that buy into that nonsense. It is a built in excuse. Kind of like "we NEVER win in Mt. Pleasant" or "we can never win on national TV." For those who spout these things, you are setting yourself up for more of the same. What happened in the past is PASSED, done with unless you keep reminding yourself of it. If so, you will probably repeat it.

PJ's mantra is that you can not see the future but you can plot a course. You are facing backwards as you RTB. You experience the present and can view things from the past. But you are heading in a new direction together.

Lose the fatalism. I know it is part of our "Bronco charm" but it is stupid.

We may lose tomorrow (or not). If we lose it will have been to a team that played better and is better. No excuses. RTB

MileHigh, go back and re-read my initial post. I wasn't being negative or fatalistic. My whole point is that it is of my opinion that because of the direction coach Fleck and the assistants have the boat heading it is only a matter of time before we break out of the past , the things that hold the university back on the football field, and when that happens we will see a level of success never seen in Kalamazoo sports before outside of K-College's 70 some-odd year conference winning streak in tennis.
12-19-2014 10:53 PM
Advertisement

tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

WMU has played in nationally televised games a good handful of times in recent years. The MAC Championship Game against Marshall broadcast nationally on ABC, being the biggest. That team was the closest to ever cracking the Top-25...and the Chips ruined it.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014 02:19 AM by tayle's mullet.)
12-20-2014 02:18 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:The MAC Championship Game against Marshall broadcast nationally on ABC, being the biggest. That team was the closest to ever cracking the Top-25...and the Chips ruined it.

Before that game, yes. ABC had ads up with Sanford running it. Oh man. I was at Up and Under -- by the end of the game I was too tipsy to understand there wasn't enough time left. It was such a low-scoring game, I figured "OK, we can do this on our next possession..."

Yeah. It was when a guy told me at the pool table that there wasn't enough time for that, I almost came down to tears. Jeff Welsh! Tell me it ain't so! (sob)
12-20-2014 04:13 AM
John52168 Offline
All American

Crappies
(12-20-2014 02:18 AM)tayles mullet Wrote:  WMU has played in nationally televised games a good handful of times in recent years. The MAC Championship Game against Marshall broadcast nationally on ABC, being the biggest. That team was the closest to ever cracking the Top-25...and the Chips ruined it.

Yeah and all those games were losses! I have never seen the Broncos win a televised football game, I mean NEVER! But, I believe under coach Fleck that is about to change.
12-20-2014 09:33 AM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

I remember when Rob Sanford ran all over The Herd and we kicked Marshall's ass at their house on ESPN?
12-20-2014 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.