Minium: UAB's decision could mean 13-team league
Bookmark and Share
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Minium: UAB's decision could mean 13-team league
http://hamptonroads.com/2014/12/football...am-league#

Harry says next year's schedule was done and now league will have to start over. Some other interesting insights.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 03:46 PM by ODUsmitty.)
12-16-2014 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
RE: Minium: UAB's decision could mean 13-team league
(12-16-2014 09:51 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  http://hamptonroads.com/2014/12/football...am-league#

Harry says next year's schedule was done and now league will have to start over. Some other interesting insights.

Excellent read. Thanks for posting.
12-16-2014 10:28 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
HOw is this guy always on top of stuff? Is he the only one CUSA leaks info too, haha...He is pretty much spot on I will say the last few seasons. ...I don't think CUSA needs to add anyone, sit tight and see what happens.....Even down to 12 teams would be good for all involved....I do think we can pretty much throw out any of the MAC schools joining CUSA...
12-16-2014 10:39 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
This is not a surprise. I think most people who follow this stuff closely didn't need crystal ball to figure this one out.

I pretty much laid out the same thing here when some App poster asked about UAB.
http://csnbbs.com/thread-718364-post-115...id11527286

Bottom line is there is no way to avoid a 13-team conference next season. Beyond that who knows.

Maybe you guys shouldn't have added us. You could have been at 12 next year and probably a better financial situation. That's the biggest problem for this league, is that there was no forewarning that this would actually happen when the expansion decisions were made.
12-16-2014 11:08 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
UMASS football only might not be a bad idea but then who do you move west? I think Arkansas St would be an excellent pickup for CUSA but they would want all access. UAB would be an excellent candidate for Southern if they had to find a Basketball conference. They would probably dominate that conference. It is a really messed up situation for CUSA and UAB.
12-16-2014 11:32 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: Minium: UAB's decision could mean 13-team league
(12-16-2014 10:39 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  HOw is this guy always on top of stuff? Is he the only one CUSA leaks info too, haha...He is pretty much spot on I will say the last few seasons. ...I don't think CUSA needs to add anyone, sit tight and see what happens.....Even down to 12 teams would be good for all involved....I do think we can pretty much throw out any of the MAC schools joining CUSA...

Nothing reported there that hasn't already been said. I mentioned a week or two ago that nothing will be decided (about UAB or a potential replacement) until mid January at the next big meeting. He threw out some school names that I know is not on the list of possible targets (Troy, Georgia State etc.). Basically tells me that he is just throwing names out there in hopes that it sticks. And dont think for one minute that talks with other schools are not ongoing because they are. They are just setting the stage for this meeting in January. And yes, a couple of those are "Ohio" based Mac schools.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 11:37 AM by MUHERD76.)
12-16-2014 11:34 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-16-2014 11:08 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  This is not a surprise. I think most people who follow this stuff closely didn't need crystal ball to figure this one out.

I pretty much laid out the same thing here when some App poster asked about UAB.

Bottom line is there is no way to avoid a 13-team conference next season. Beyond that who knows.

Maybe you guys shouldn't have added us. You could have been at 12 next year and probably a better financial situation. That's the biggest problem for this league, is that there was no forewarning that this would actually happen when the expansion decisions were made.

To be honest, I'm mildly surprised you guys haven't discussed the option of keeping UAB Olympics and bringing in a football only more.

Any SBC or FCS school you add is certain to bring down your current basketball profile, and while a football increase would be nice, based on the CFP committee's rants about Marshall, I'm not sure improving football significantly is going to bring you any closer to beating out the AAC and MWC for the access bowl.

Keep UAB and bring in UMass for Football Only. Work out a scheduling deal where they promise basketball home games to improve your RPI, and you guys are a lot closer to cracking an at large NCAA spot than you are now.

Unless, of course, you are convinced UAB's ultimate goal is to shut down athletics. Then its a whole other set of problems.
12-16-2014 11:52 AM
49erlew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-16-2014 11:52 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 11:08 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  This is not a surprise. I think most people who follow this stuff closely didn't need crystal ball to figure this one out.

To be honest, I'm mildly surprised you guys haven't discussed the option of keeping UAB Olympics and bringing in a football only more.

Any SBC or FCS school you add is certain to bring down your current basketball profile, and while a football increase would be nice, based on the CFP committee's rants about Marshall, I'm not sure improving football significantly is going to bring you any closer to beating out the AAC and MWC for the access bowl.

Keep UAB and bring in UMass for Football Only. Work out a scheduling deal where they promise basketball home games to improve your RPI, and you guys are a lot closer to cracking an at large NCAA spot than you are now.

Unless, of course, you are convinced UAB's ultimate goal is to shut down athletics. Then its a whole other set of problems.

Not necessarily.

I've seen Missouri State thrown out a time or two as a bit of an outlier. They've got pretty strong basketball and a serviceable football stadium. There's another FCS program that I think may be a better fit: Southern Illinois. They fit nicely into the conference footprint, and form a pretty good bridge between the eastern and western schools, especially if they're brought in in combination with a school like Arkansas State. They've got a strong basketball history and a lot of pride in their program, and they've got facilities that would suffice for a G5 program.

I'd take MoSt and/or SIU basketball over most current SBC basketball programs in a heartbeat.
12-16-2014 12:35 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(12-16-2014 11:32 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  UMASS football only might not be a bad idea but then who do you move west? I think Arkansas St would be an excellent pickup for CUSA but they would want all access. UAB would be an excellent candidate for Southern if they had to find a Basketball conference. They would probably dominate that conference. It is a really messed up situation for CUSA and UAB.

UMass, imho, should NOT be considered for FB only. They weaken the football in C-USA. They are only attractive for all sports. Pretty much what the MAC and SBC said too.
12-16-2014 12:57 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
Go to 16 so no one has to switch divisions and to cut down on meaningless crossover games. Give eac division more regional appeal.
12-16-2014 12:57 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2014 11:34 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 10:39 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  HOw is this guy always on top of stuff? Is he the only one CUSA leaks info too, haha...He is pretty much spot on I will say the last few seasons. ...I don't think CUSA needs to add anyone, sit tight and see what happens.....Even down to 12 teams would be good for all involved....I do think we can pretty much throw out any of the MAC schools joining CUSA...

Nothing reported there that hasn't already been said. I mentioned a week or two ago that nothing will be decided (about UAB or a potential replacement) until mid January at the next big meeting. He threw out some school names that I know is not on the list of possible targets (Troy, Georgia State etc.). Basically tells me that he is just throwing names out there in hopes that it sticks. And dont think for one minute that talks with other schools are not ongoing because they are. They are just setting the stage for this meeting in January. And yes, a couple of those are "Ohio" based Mac schools.

I agree that the article is nothing more than speculation. I hope that C-USA doesn't add just to have a 14th. If we are going to add we need a school with good support in both FB and MBB and solid athletics. That narrows the field down quite a bit. We are not in the market for warm bodies.
12-16-2014 12:59 PM
Advertisement

49erlew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-16-2014 12:57 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  Go to 16 so no one has to switch divisions and to cut down on meaningless crossover games. Give eac division more regional appeal.

I'm completely on board with this. I wonder how the numbers would stack up when you compare the smaller piece of the pie with the reduction of cross-country road trips across the board.
12-16-2014 01:11 PM
USM Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM | UCI
Quote:Southern Mississippi lost its only nearby rival when UAB dropped football. School officials there will surely lobby to add another Alabama school.
This is the exact opposite of the truth. USM would likely veto any Alabama school as it has an effect on our recruiting. Jeff Bower argued vociferously against UAB's entry into CUSA.
12-16-2014 01:12 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-16-2014 12:35 PM)49erlew Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 11:52 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Not necessarily.

I've seen Missouri State thrown out a time or two as a bit of an outlier. They've got pretty strong basketball and a serviceable football stadium. There's another FCS program that I think may be a better fit: Southern Illinois. They fit nicely into the conference footprint, and form a pretty good bridge between the eastern and western schools, especially if they're brought in in combination with a school like Arkansas State. They've got a strong basketball history and a lot of pride in their program, and they've got facilities that would suffice for a G5 program.

I'd take MoSt and/or SIU basketball over most current SBC basketball programs in a heartbeat.

Arkansas State has been trying to get Missouri State into the Sun Belt for years. We know all about how good of a program they can be, if they ever would make the commitment necessary to move football up.

I think SIU has claimed a few times they are not interested in moving, but Missouri State is probably another year or two away if they continued to get screwed with by the Missouri Valley.

Truthfully I think AState is in the same situation with the SBC. We pretty much hate the current SBC leadership, but we're conflicted because we've come this far without having to change leagues, so there is a strong belief that we can take the next step in the SBC as well.
12-16-2014 01:35 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
If Army is interested, they may be the only football only team I would consider due to the prestige they can bring to the conference with their name, and their non-football sports suck anyway, so it would be best to keep those out. Keep UAB and add Army for football and I'd be happy. If UAB goes, then I would only consider all sports additions. UMass would be great then, but unlikely.
12-16-2014 01:50 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2014 01:11 PM)49erlew Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 12:57 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  Go to 16 so no one has to switch divisions and to cut down on meaningless crossover games. Give eac division more regional appeal.

I'm completely on board with this. I wonder how the numbers would stack up when you compare the smaller piece of the pie with the reduction of cross-country road trips across the board.

If 16 would be a wash due to travel savings and if tv payout stays about the same per school in the next contract then it would work fine. But adding 3 that bring good support in both major revenue sports might be difficult. I really don't want to see any more schools that only avg 1k per mbb game and I'd love to see the C-USA presidents declare a major push to upgrade mbb at all our schools. Both major sports need to be taken care of, not just football.
12-16-2014 02:03 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: Minium: UAB's decision could mean 13-team league
(12-16-2014 12:57 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 11:32 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  UMASS football only might not be a bad idea but then who do you move west? I think Arkansas St would be an excellent pickup for CUSA but they would want all access. UAB would be an excellent candidate for Southern if they had to find a Basketball conference. They would probably dominate that conference. It is a really messed up situation for CUSA and UAB.

UMass, imho, should NOT be considered for FB only. They weaken the football in C-USA. They are only attractive for all sports. Pretty much what the MAC and SBC said too.

Agreed
12-16-2014 02:07 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(12-16-2014 01:50 PM)monarx Wrote:  If Army is interested, they may be the only football only team I would consider due to the prestige they can bring to the conference with their name, and their non-football sports suck anyway, so it would be best to keep those out. Keep UAB and add Army for football and I'd be happy. If UAB goes, then I would only consider all sports additions. UMass would be great then, but unlikely.

Agree. I thought this was new information. Army might also agree to play in the West, for the same reasons Navy is ok with the West in the AAC. Plenty of Army presence in San Antonio and El Paso.

No, no, no for UMass, but that is the regional competing interest the author writes about.

I was also a bit surprised he singled out Texas State for support, and seemed to de-emphasize ULL.
12-16-2014 02:18 PM
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
(12-16-2014 02:18 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 01:50 PM)monarx Wrote:  If Army is interested, they may be the only football only team I would consider due to the prestige they can bring to the conference with their name, and their non-football sports suck anyway, so it would be best to keep those out. Keep UAB and add Army for football and I'd be happy. If UAB goes, then I would only consider all sports additions. UMass would be great then, but unlikely.

Agree. I thought this was new information. Army might also agree to play in the West, for the same reasons Navy is ok with the West in the AAC. Plenty of Army presence in San Antonio and El Paso.

No, no, no for UMass, but that is the regional competing interest the author writes about.

I was also a bit surprised he singled out Texas State for support, and seemed to de-emphasize ULL.

Not me, ULL doesn't need to be included in CUSA unless you want ULM also. They are like the F_U schools. Almost all Tech fans would prefer that ULL, USL or LA what ever they call themselves now remain in the fun belt where they can complete. ULL would have been at best a 3rd to 5th place team in the west.
12-16-2014 02:42 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
RE: Minimum: UAB's decision could mean 13-team league
I don't know. ULL has a good football program now, I've heard their basketball is respectable, and they fit perfectly in the West geography, especially for Louisiana Tech and USM. I'd love to see Army in the East.
12-16-2014 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.