Ga. Southern 21,102 +42%
Texas State 20,598 +14%
La.-Monroe 18,108 +6%
South Alabama 17,445 +10%
Troy 16,767 -11%
Georgia State 15,006 -4%
Idaho 12,886 -13%
New Mexico St. 12,269 -24%
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2014 04:43 PM by slycat.)
12-15-2014 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Attendance trends for 2014
I think I surprised that UL didn't drop more as they were "disappointing" this year and the App St dropped so much after moving from FCS to FBS.

On a side note WKU dropped 11% after moving to a much more interesting conference.
12-15-2014 04:35 PM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(12-15-2014 04:35 PM)slycat Wrote:  I think I surprised that UL didn't drop more as they were "disappointing" this year and the App St dropped so much after moving from FCS to FBS.

On a side note WKU dropped 11% after moving to a much more interesting conference.

App's drop wasn't a surprise considering they had the awful 4 win season in 2013 and started 1-5 this year. After seeing the USA beat down of the Apps I wasn't sure I wanted to keep driving from ATL to The Rock. The loss to Liberty topped it off for many fans and the weather wasn't the best for many of the games this year either. With a 6 win finish and an attractive home schedule next year I would be very surprised if the Apps don't add 2-4K to this years average, unless they get off to another horrible start. We need the bandwagon fan to keep it over 25K (like most G5's).
12-15-2014 04:45 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-15-2014 04:35 PM)slycat Wrote:  I think I surprised that UL didn't drop more as they were "disappointing" this year and the App St dropped so much after moving from FCS to FBS.

if we lost to liberty and southern miss at home our attendance would have tanked too.
slycat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(12-15-2014 04:45 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  

App's drop wasn't a surprise considering they had the awful 4 win season in 2013 and started 1-5 this year. After seeing the USA beat down of the Apps I wasn't sure I wanted to keep driving from ATL to The Rock. The loss to Liberty topped it off for many fans and the weather wasn't the best for many of the games this year either. With a 6 win finish and an attractive home schedule next year I would be very surprised if the Apps don't add 2-4K to this years average, unless they get off to another horrible start. We need the bandwagon fan to keep it over 25K (like most G5's).

That makes sense. I hadn't paid much attention to Apps numebsr since the NC days.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2014 04:46 PM by slycat.)
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(12-15-2014 04:45 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  

Sounds familiar... like MSU's beatdown of USA at our biggest (sellout) game in the history of the program... I feel your pain.01-lauramac2
12-16-2014 12:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern

Gameday at WKU is pretty terrible tbh. I was there for the UTSA game, a game they needed to win to be bowl eligible because the Marshall game was far from guaranteed. It was also Senior Day. Two hours before kickoff you would have pretty much no idea there was a game going on. I'd also be surprised if there was more than around 7 or 8 thousand there as well.

I expected more.
12-16-2014 07:18 AM
Saint3333 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
The forecast for App's first four games were:
- 55 and thunderstorms (one hour delay during game)
- 50 and rain
- 45 and rain
- 32 and 4 inches of snow

Interesting enough the two November games were 50 and 45 and both sunny

No walkups those first four games.

September and early October temps are usually 65-80.
12-16-2014 08:29 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU

Not making excuses but the first game was on a Friday night....We had zero Sept home games and only 2 home October games and 3 home NOv. games with 3 Noon kickoffs....No one can brag a whole lot about attendance these days, we all could do better....I expect next season to be better with MTSU and Marshall at home and a home Sept game...
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 09:41 AM by WKUFan518.)
12-16-2014 09:40 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2014 07:18 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

Gameday at WKU is pretty terrible tbh. I was there for the UTSA game, a game they needed to win to be bowl eligible because the Marshall game was far from guaranteed. It was also Senior Day. Two hours before kickoff you would have pretty much no idea there was a game going on. I'd also be surprised if there was more than around 7 or 8 thousand there as well.

I expected more.

Not sure why no one was at that game, definitely a head scratcher, weather was fine also that day.....Nov. attendance has been dreadful at WKU for years, its a problem I am not sure how we can fix, our offense this season put up record breaking numbers....
12-16-2014 09:42 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I didn't know anyone in Kentucky watched football after basketball season has started.
12-16-2014 09:46 AM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I think most had given up by the UTSA game. No one thought we would beat Marshall, so best case we would be 6-6 and sitting at home. Still not excusable. Hopefully next year we can get our home games in early and play the fair weather teams on the road later. Still, considering our home game lineup this past year and when the games were played, I am not too upset.
12-16-2014 09:49 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(12-16-2014 09:49 AM)freshtop Wrote:  I think most had given up by the UTSA game. No one thought we would beat Marshall, so best case we would be 6-6 and sitting at home. Still not excusable. Hopefully next year we can get our home games in early and play the fair weather teams on the road later. Still, considering our home game lineup this past year and when the games were played, I am not too upset.

I watched a few of your games this year and much like App St you could see the improvement in the second half of the season. Too bad your fans missed out on some great football.

04-cheers
12-16-2014 10:19 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2014 09:42 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 07:18 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

I expected more.

Not sure why no one was at that game, definitely a head scratcher, weather was fine also that day.....Nov. attendance has been dreadful at WKU for years, its a problem I am not sure how we can fix, our offense this season put up record breaking numbers....

It as a little chilly that morning and stayed that way for a good part of the game, but it wasn't anything all that bad. You just had to keep a jacket on.

Btw, the kettle corn you guys sell in the stadium is on damn point.
12-16-2014 10:54 AM
IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns

How can you even say UL was disappointing when they finish 8-4 overall with the 4 losses being to Boise St (11-2), Ole Miss (9-3), La Tech (8-5), and Appalachian St (7-5) and 7-1 and second in conference and our 4th consecutive Bowl game.

Yea, maybe we could have finished 10-2 but things as injuries happen during a football season. With the schedule we had, I'm not disappointed AT ALL with a 8-4 record and a chance to finish 9-4 for the 4 consecutive years.

When TXST can give us a good game then I might be disappointed, but we didn't look to disappointing when we whipped TXST the past 2 years. Think a little before you make a crazy statement as that!
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 03:56 PM by IdahoCajun.)
12-16-2014 03:49 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(12-16-2014 03:49 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  

How can you even say UL was disappointing when they finish 8-4 overall with the 4 losses being to Boise St (11-2), Ole Miss (9-3), La Tech (8-5), and Appalachian St (7-5) and 7-1 and second in conference and our 4th consecutive Bowl game.

Yea, maybe we could have finished 10-2 but things as injuries happen during a football season. With the schedule we had, I'm not disappointed AT ALL with a 8-4 record and a chance to finish 9-4 for the 4 consecutive years.

When TXST can give us a good game then I might be disappointed, but we didn't look to disappointing when we whipped TXST the past 2 years. Think a little before you make a crazy statement as that!

I'm assuming he means disappointing after all that preseason talk of possibly going undefeated.
12-16-2014 03:59 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(12-16-2014 03:49 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  When TXST can give us a good game then I might be disappointed, but we didn't look to disappointing when we whipped TXST the past 2 years. Think a little before you make a crazy statement as that!

First of all...

[Image: lighten-up-francis-o-s.gif]

Second, most of your fanbase had much larger expectations than 8-4. Many (including myself) were predicting you guys to break the top 25 this season. When that didn't happen, it's called a disappointment.

Doesn't mean it's a bad season, it's just less than what you were expecting.

Your win against Texas State had nothing to do with it. You won, and won soundly. Great. Kudos. You beat a team that had at that time yet to beat an FBS team with a winning record.

If that's the watermark you set for your school, then rock on... Me? I have higher aspirations than that, which is why our season was disappointing as well, just in a different way.
12-16-2014 04:18 PM
CAJUNCOUNTRY Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana

I would credit our drop to crappy weather more than our play on the field Cajuns are always looking for an excuse to get drunk good or bad.
12-16-2014 04:25 PM
IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
(12-16-2014 04:18 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 03:49 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  When TXST can give us a good game then I might be disappointed, but we didn't look to disappointing when we whipped TXST the past 2 years. Think a little before you make a crazy statement as that!

First of all...

[Image: lighten-up-francis-o-s.gif]

Second, most of your fanbase had much larger expectations than 8-4. Many (including myself) were predicting you guys to break the top 25 this season. When that didn't happen, it's called a disappointment.

Doesn't mean it's a bad season, it's just less than what you were expecting.

Your win against Texas State had nothing to do with it. You won, and won soundly. Great. Kudos. You beat a team that had at that time yet to beat an FBS team with a winning record.

If that's the watermark you set for your school, then rock on... Me? I have higher aspirations than that, which is why our season was disappointing as well, just in a different way.

And noone was expecting Boise St to be 11-2, or Ole Miss to be 9-3 and before their collapse, in the runnig for a playoff spot. I don't think any team in the SBC had a tougher OOC schedule than UL did

I think if we didn't lose Jamal Robinson, we could have maybe won another game. You can't predict injuries. Just like last year when Broadway broke his arm at the beginning of our 2nd to last game which we ended up losing and it definitely affected his throwing this year. Last year he would have some zip on the ball and could throw it with touch on the long ball. This year it looked like he was shot putting the ball.

So it's a good thing our running game was good this year since we lost our go to receiver who could catch a ball not thrown accurate since Broadway had that problem.

That's the problem, nobody expected the teams we lost to, to be so improved. So I think with the schedule we had, 8-4 isn't disappointing.

That's why all these pre-season predictions are so hard to predicf. You could lose your big time players in week 1 and your scheduled opponents could be better than expected. I live in Boise and none of their fans expected to be 11-2 especially with a new coach.

Our average attedance would have actually been higher if the last home game wasn't during Thanksgiving week when the students have Thanksgiving break and the attedance was only 20 thousand, when we would usually have nearly 30 thousand, especially for senior night and in the hunt for a conference championship.

I think the attedance ended up ok considering Thanksgiving and 2 Tueday night games. Even when we have a terrible team, the attedance doesn't drop off much because people like the tailgating and gameday atmosphere.

I mentioned TXST because he was the one saying that our season was disappointing. Believe me, I don't determine how our season is going by how bad we beat TXST each year.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 05:49 PM by IdahoCajun.)
12-16-2014 04:43 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(12-16-2014 04:43 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  And noone was expecting Boise St to be 11-2, or Ole Miss to be 9-3 and before their collapse, in the runnig for a playoff spot

I think if we didn't lose Jamal Robinson, we could have maybe won another game.

That's the problem, nobody expected the teams we lost to, to be so improved. So I think with the schedule we had, 8-4 isn't disappointing.

That's why all these pre-season predictions are so hard to predicf. You could lose your big time players in week 1 and your scheduled opponents could be better than expected. I live in Boise and none of their fans expected to be 11-2 especially with a new coach.

Our average attedance would have actually been higher if the last home game wasn't during Thanksgiving week when the students have Thanksgiving break and the attedance was only 20 thousand, when we would usually have nearly 30 thousand, especially for senior night.

I think the attedance ended up ok considering Thanksgiving and 2 Tueday night games.

I mentioned TXST because he was the one saying that our season was disappointing.

Your mention of TXST was nothing other than trying to dig at someone who wasn't insulting your season. If you notice he used quotations around disappointing, indicating that is a dubious title at best.

But your season was disappointing. Your university came into the season with results higher than what you accomplished. Were there circumstances that should mitigate those expectations? You bet, but it doesn't change that your season was disappointing.

Look at it like this: We actually improved in nearly every metric this year (W/L, Conference record, attendance, YPG, scoring, turnovers, etc), but we didn't get a bowl game. That was a disappointing season. Are there reasonable reasons why we didn't? (location, history, lack of at-large bids) You bet, but it's still disappointing.

Doesn't mean it's a bad season, it's just disappointing.
12-16-2014 05:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.