UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Birmingham Corporate Community
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
Birmingham Corporate Community
Where have the heavy hitters in the Bham corporate community been in all this? It's nice to have small business owners sign on, but what about Regions, BBVA, Alabama Power, Energen, the Birmingham Business Alliance, etc?

If these companies/their executives publicly threw their support behind the program I think that would've been a game changer. Their lack of involvement is a sad commentary on their view of Bham.
12-03-2014 02:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Birmingham Corporate Community
I'd almost rather see them rescinding their donations to the Campaign for UAB.
12-03-2014 02:18 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(12-03-2014 02:16 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Where have the heavy hitters in the Bham corporate community been in all this? It's nice to have small business owners sign on, but what about Regions, BBVA, Alabama Power, Energen, the Birmingham Business Alliance, etc?

If these companies/their executives publicly threw their support behind the program I think that would've been a game changer. Their lack of involvement is a sad commentary on their view of Bham.

They all drive West or South every Saturday.
12-03-2014 02:19 AM
BlazerFire Offline
1st String

(12-03-2014 02:19 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 02:16 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Where have the heavy hitters in the Bham corporate community been in all this? It's nice to have small business owners sign on, but what about Regions, BBVA, Alabama Power, Energen, the Birmingham Business Alliance, etc?

They all drive West or South every Saturday.

I work for a very large company that sponsors the teams to the west and southeast of B'ham. It sickens me to think of how many millions over the years have been written to these two teams – while UAB received pennies in comparison.. and B'ham is HOME to my employer.

A few weeks ago, I was talking with the director of a well known non-profit entity here in B'ham. We talked about sponsorships. He clued me in real quick, that the large corporations here in B'ham had really cut back on their sponsorships and donations in recent years. Don't think for one second that the BOT isn't aware of that. They want to make sure their baby keeps their share of sponsors' money – AND ours. I've been saying all along, this is a bigger piece of the puzzle than folks realize. They want it all.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 02:56 AM by BlazerFire.)
12-03-2014 02:55 AM
Advertisement

blzr4life Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-03-2014 02:18 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I'd almost rather see them rescinding their donations to the Campaign for UAB.

This!! Remember John D. Johns is a board member, CEO of Protective Life, co-chairman of the Campaign for UAB and a strong community supporter. He did and said nothing for our cause or for UAB.
12-03-2014 06:45 AM
fbbbfan Offline
Water Engineer

Doesn't Protective have a booth at Bryant-Denny? Wasn't it written that Mr. Johns proudly wore a houndstooth hat to the airport so his Japanese purchasers would recognize him? And we were depending on him?
12-03-2014 07:58 AM
SunDogII Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jacksonville St
too many people said too many times that this as not UAB vs. UAT. It should not have been, but it was. The only way to fight back effectively is to attack the sponsors of UAT. To beat the board, you have to hurt UAT, that's all they care about.
12-03-2014 08:20 AM
Advertisement

EnviroBlazerD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB, Alabama
How the hell would we even pull that off??
12-03-2014 04:10 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
You can't make it "UAB vs UAT". That's a loser before you start.

You make it "a few corrupt old men on the board with a grudge screwing UAB over" and you're not attacking their team or their fandom. And no one likes bullies.
12-03-2014 04:15 PM
BirminghamBound Offline
Special Teams

(12-03-2014 07:58 AM)fbbbfan Wrote:  Doesn't Protective have a booth at Bryant-Denny? Wasn't it written that Mr. Johns proudly wore a houndstooth hat to the airport so his Japanese purchasers would recognize him? And we were depending on him?

Yep. They do. They have a campaign going on with UA now.
12-03-2014 04:18 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Johns gets to double dip & screw UAB at the same time.

Roll Tide.
12-03-2014 04:25 PM
Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
That makes things very simple, dump Protective Life and get other insurance.

Also move you money from Bryant Bank if it is there - keep in mind that BB&T (Branch Bank and Trust) is not Bryant Bank.

Avoid or dump any other BOT business.
12-04-2014 03:15 AM
EnviroBlazerD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB, Alabama
(12-03-2014 04:15 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  You can't make it "UAB vs UAT". That's a loser before you start.

You make it "a few corrupt old men on the board with a grudge screwing UAB over" and you're not attacking their team or their fandom. And no one likes bullies.

I don't wanna make it UAB vs. UAT either, but I must admit the NCAA making threats on their baby would really motivate the BOT to shape up. Sometimes the only language bullies understand is an even bigger bully.

But that being said, have you ever thought about why UAB Medicine has to take Viva health insurance? I wonder if Viva has ties to the BOT...
12-04-2014 03:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.