Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall haters really don't want the Herd to get that Access Bowl slot.
Bookmark and Share
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Marshall haters really don't want the Herd to get that Access Bowl slot.
The hate runs deep for certain posters of certain conferences. You have a group of posters saying they would much rather have this particular team from this particular conference get the Access Bowl slot over a CUSA team.

Rather amusing I must say......
11-24-2014 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
RE: Marshall haters really don't want the Herd to get that Access Bowl slot.
If I had to guess Im wondering if it's Pirates supporting Pirates?
11-24-2014 06:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Oh wait, then you have the comments from these posters that states the committee would set a dangerous precedent and put Access Bowl slot in perils if a 13-0 Marshall team is given the invite. Perils? Dangerous precedent? Seriously? That's some end of the world college football talk right there. Ridiculous and funny at the same time.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 06:13 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
11-24-2014 06:13 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
My opinion is that a 13-0 G5 team is not what the committee wants, regardless of schedule. Their biggest fear has to be a G5 team that plays 3 decent P5 schools and goes 13-0, like if ECU could have pulled it off this year. They wouldn't give them a spot in the playoffs, but it's a lot harder to explain because they have to admit that there are 63 excluded teams before the season even kicks off.
11-24-2014 07:02 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
What people should be more outraged and worried about is that there is a playoff that doesn't include all conference champions. They should also be worried that now they are refered to as "power" well at lease some arseholes do. Calling it an "access bowl" does nothing but further the stereotypes too.
11-24-2014 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(11-24-2014 09:59 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  What people should be more outraged and worried about is that there is a playoff that doesn't include all conference champions. They should also be worried that now they are refered to as "power" well at lease some arseholes do. Calling it an "access bowl" does nothing but further the stereotypes too.

No different from "mid Major" in hoops....NOt sure why anyone is surprised by this, its been going on for college football for a long time....

WKU women were playing for NIT title yesterday on CBS Sports Network, and all I heard was "not bad for a mid major Program" or "mid majors" do not get these chances usually....FOr a program that has 3 Final Fours, multiple NCAA tournament appearances playing a program (Miss. St.) that has never accomplished anything, it was a slap on the face..According to announcers it was if our women's team did not even belong on the floor of an almighty overrated SEC team...

Makes you sick and realize this is just the beginning, its only going to get worse guys and gals...
11-24-2014 10:05 PM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
I want Marshall to have this one magical season to lift our conference above all the others. After that, I hope they lose to us until the end of time. Or until they pull the plug on us. Which ever comes first.
11-24-2014 10:17 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2014 10:17 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  I want Marshall to have this one magical season to lift our conference above all the others. After that, I hope they lose to us until the end of time. Or until they pull the plug on us. Which ever comes first.

That's why we love ya. I hope you guys pull through this crap.
11-24-2014 10:27 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Seem maybe we had better access to the BCS Bowls before this. At less the computer played fair.
11-25-2014 12:12 AM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
I have been pulling for the Herd all season
11-25-2014 12:13 AM
Kingkong13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cusa
I would like to see Marshall represent our conference in an Access bowl. Will I be rooting against them if they play Tech for the conference title? You bet your ass. The biggest problem with G5 conference football is the incessant neck biting. This team or this conference feels it's better than this team or conference. There is no solidarity. Even in our own conference pr at least on this board, there is constant bickering about who deserves to be here or who is better than this conference. That will have to change if we are to compete with the big boys.
11-25-2014 12:18 AM
Advertisement

WEARE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall, TOSU
If you want to piss people off, succeed. Winning brings the hate because of the psychological coping mechanism of displacement. They are really angry at their team because they lost, but it's more acceptable to be angry at Marshall for not losing.

Marshall had a weak schedule from the beginning. Every other team started with an advantage. It wasn't a loss to a strong P5 that knocked them out. It was losses to other G5. Marshall is guilty of winning, but we didn't set some dangerous precedent with a nefarious plan to destroy college football. We simply won our games; they didn't.
11-25-2014 12:25 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(11-25-2014 12:25 AM)WEARE Wrote:  If you want to piss people off, succeed. Winning brings the hate because of the psychological coping mechanism of displacement. They are really angry at their team because they lost, but it's more acceptable to be angry at Marshall for not losing.

Marshall had a weak schedule from the beginning. Every other team started with an advantage. It wasn't a loss to a strong P5 that knocked them out. It was losses to other G5. Marshall is guilty of winning, but we didn't set some dangerous precedent with a nefarious plan to destroy college football. We simply won our games; they didn't.

This is an outstanding perspective that puts an element of objectiveness on this. Particularly the part that I bolded, because it's clear that a one-loss ECU was going to get the bid over Marshall. It was still possible that a two-loss ECU was going to get in over Marshall but after back-to-back losses to Temple and Cincy, ECU has screwed themselves.

All this because ECU beat two bad P5 schools. As I have said before when it comes to the strength of schedule subjectivity the committee views wins over bad P5 teams over wins over great G5 schools. And if Colorado St was in first place for the MWC they would be getting the bid over Marshall, because they beat one really terrible P5 school and then another average one.
11-25-2014 08:24 AM
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

(11-25-2014 08:24 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 12:25 AM)WEARE Wrote:  If you want to piss people off, succeed. Winning brings the hate because of the psychological coping mechanism of displacement. They are really angry at their team because they lost, but it's more acceptable to be angry at Marshall for not losing.

This is an outstanding perspective that puts an element of objectiveness on this. Particularly the part that I bolded, because it's clear that a one-loss ECU was going to get the bid over Marshall. It was still possible that a two-loss ECU was going to get in over Marshall but after back-to-back losses to Temple and Cincy, ECU has screwed themselves.

All this because ECU beat two bad P5 schools. As I have said before when it comes to the strength of schedule subjectivity the committee views wins over bad P5 teams over wins over great G5 schools. And if Colorado St was in first place for the MWC they would be getting the bid over Marshall, because they beat one really terrible P5 school and then another average one.

This is what's frustrated me all year long. ECU beating UNC/VT; Boise State losing to Ole Miss (the 'good loss' argument); Utah State beating Wake Forest; Colorado State beating COLORADO, for god's sake. That's a Colorado program that's gone 15-44 in the last 5 seasons and that half or more of the G5 teams would beat on any given Saturday.
11-25-2014 08:35 AM
herdftblfan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I get the most frustrated when they discuss a one loss CSU team getting the bid based on their mighty P5 wins. They beat Colorado who I don't think has one a single P5 game and BC who gave FSU a scare but otherwise lost to Pitt (who Akron beat). BC is a good win but on the other hand Boise whooped CSU good. To claim they merit the bid over an undefeated team is a farce to me.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 08:47 AM by herdftblfan1.)
11-25-2014 08:46 AM
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

(11-25-2014 08:46 AM)herdftblfan1 Wrote:  I get the most frustrated when they discuss a one loss CSU team getting the bid based on their mighty P5 wins. They beat Colorado who I don't think has one a single P5 game and BC who gave FSU a scare but otherwise lost to Pitt (who Akron beat). BC is a good win but on the other hand Boise whooped CSU good. To claim they merit the bid over an undefeated team is a farce to me.

I think it's a legit discussion with us having the edge simply because UNDEFEATED. Then again, I'm a bit biased....... The Boston College win is a solid win and better than any on our schedule simply because of their win over USC.

I just don't understand why a win over Colorado is better than a win over, say, Utah State or Memphis. Those are 2 solid programs this year and I'd throw money on either of them to beat Colorado by 2 possessions or more.
11-25-2014 08:52 AM
Advertisement

herdftblfan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I agree BC is a solid win but on the other hand, they've not done much else of significance and lost soundly to Boise. USC was a good win for BC but when you look at what Marshall is doing on both sides of the ball and examine stats, you have to give the edge to the Herd imo.
11-25-2014 08:54 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
You guys are taking your eyes off the ball. WKU is going to kick your butt if your focus is on New Years Day and not on this Saturday's game. The Hilltopers have been rolling teams of late. 05-mafia
11-25-2014 09:11 AM
Herdon2007 Offline
Water Engineer

WKU is definitely a solid team that's coming on as of late. They remind me of Marshall in 2011 because they can score in bunches but can't stop anyone on defense. It'll be a tough test, but on Senior Day for Cato, Shuler, Rouse, etc. I honestly feel pretty confident that we can pull it out.
11-25-2014 09:21 AM
WEARE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall, TOSU
(11-25-2014 09:11 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  You guys are taking your eyes off the ball. WKU is going to kick your butt if your focus is on New Years Day and not on this Saturday's game. The Hilltopers have been rolling teams of late. 05-mafia

Again, I don't understand this thought process. I seriously doubt any players or coaches are posting in this thread. Fans don't play the game; therefore, it doesn't matter where we place our focus. In fact, I would argue that speculation about the future of our team is a primary reason for a sports forum.

Of course, WKU is an obstacle, and I would hope our coaches and players are taking them seriously. They are a talented team, but I am certain the game results would be the same this Friday regardless of my attentiveness.
11-25-2014 09:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.