WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fleck in Negotiations?
NCBronco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WMU
Fleck in Negotiations?
Saw this today on SI.com

(http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/...candidates)

P.J. Fleck, Western Michigan: The Broncos are in negotiations to keep Fleck, who has impressed both recruiting and on the field. Western Michigan is 7-3 and tied atop the MAC West with a 5-1 record. He could be a candidate for some low-level Power 5 jobs like Illinois, Kansas or Indiana (if it opens). Fleck brought in the highest rated recruiting class in MAC history last year and has Western Michigan at No. 58 in the recruiting rankings this year, ahead of Cal, Kansas State and Colorado.

Thought the first line was interesting, hadn't heard that we were opening up negotiations to keep him. We all know that contracts mean next to nothing for coaches at this level in regards to them staying put, but interesting none the less.
11-19-2014 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: Fleck in Negotiations?
Yeah, that's their speculation, though. I think *IF* we're on our way to the MACC game -- then negotiations would occur.

Fleck going 1-11 with extremely Little non-HC/DC/OC coaching experience beforehand puts him more in proving mode than virtually all other coaches. For even a gamble, I would say another team would reach out to him if we WON the MACC (if we even got to that point which is still a solid stretch right now).

Illinois negotiating with Fleck this early: Not happening. Illinois made the mistake of hiring Beckman way too early, and see where that got them. Zook was a great recruiter by itself, and they had a great year one year, they still fell flat in the end. They MAY talk to Fleck if they are still searching in late Dec / Jan, and we won the MACC.

Kansas: What about their interim? Holy cow, they almost beat TCU!

Indiana: They turned down Nevada's coach before for lack of experience. I don't think they'll be aiming at Fleck, given that.

Virginia: Maybe a team willing to gamble on him, but looks they have other prospects.
11-19-2014 04:29 PM
NCBronco Offline
Water Engineer

(11-19-2014 04:29 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  Yeah, that's their speculation, though. I think *IF* we're on our way to the MACC game -- then negotiations would occur.

Fleck going 1-11 with extremely Little non-HC/DC/OC coaching experience beforehand puts him more in proving mode than virtually all other coaches. For even a gamble, I would say another team would reach out to him if we WON the MACC (if we even got to that point which is still a solid stretch right now).

Illinois negotiating with Fleck this early: Not happening. Illinois made the mistake of hiring Beckman way too early, and see where that got them. Zook was a great recruiter by itself, and they had a great year one year, they still fell flat in the end. They MAY talk to Fleck if they are still searching in late Dec / Jan, and we won the MACC.

Kansas: What about their interim? Holy cow, they almost beat TCU!

Indiana: They turned down Nevada's coach before for lack of experience. I don't think they'll be aiming at Fleck, given that.

Virginia: Maybe a team willing to gamble on him, but looks they have other prospects.

I think that they are referring to WMU negotiating to keep him, maybe I'm misreading your post. I would have no problem making sure that he gets a moderate increase/increase in the assistant pool in order to keep the momentum going. Even if the only reason we did it was to ensure that other coaches didn't start with the "he's leaving" on the recruiting trail.
11-19-2014 04:38 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

(11-19-2014 04:38 PM)NCBronco Wrote:  I think that they are referring to WMU negotiating to keep him, maybe I'm misreading your post. I would have no problem making sure that he gets a moderate increase/increase in the assistant pool in order to keep the momentum going. Even if the only reason we did it was to ensure that other coaches didn't start with the "he's leaving" on the recruiting trail.

No point in negotiating unless there is a real shot at a better job. I don't see a realistic shot at a better job so these negotiations don't make a whole lot of sense.
11-19-2014 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Colonel Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I don't think it's a guarantee that any of those jobs open up. Illinois is most likely, but they still have a chance to become bowl-eligible. Kansas hiring their interim coach may be the best move for them. Wilson at Indiana may be given something of a pass for this season due to injuries. Rutgers had been mentioned somewhere previously, but they are now bowl-eligible, which few expected in their first year in the B1G with a brutal schedule. No way they fire Flood.

Kathy and/or Dunn made a high-risk/high-reward decision in hiring the youngest FBS coach. A year ago, it looked like that decision might blow up in their faces - a year later, it looks like it's paying off in spades. Loyalty may not count for much when the big $ and the big names come calling, but it wouldn't surprise me if P.J. decided to reward their faith in him by sticking around a little longer than many expect.
11-19-2014 04:41 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
Best thing we get extending his contract is to build up the buyout and hopefully keep assistant coaches. Our assistant pool needs to get closer to a million to keep anyone.
11-19-2014 04:44 PM
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

(11-19-2014 04:44 PM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  Best thing we get extending his contract is to build up the buyout and hopefully keep assistant coaches. Our assistant pool needs to get closer to a million to keep anyone.

This.
11-19-2014 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NCBronco Offline
Water Engineer

(11-19-2014 04:44 PM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  Best thing we get extending his contract is to build up the buyout and hopefully keep assistant coaches. Our assistant pool needs to get closer to a million to keep anyone.

I was thinking about the assistant pool and confidence of the recruits. The buyout point is another good one!
11-19-2014 04:45 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:I think that they are referring to WMU negotiating to keep him, maybe I'm misreading your post. I would have no problem making sure that he gets a moderate increase/increase in the assistant pool in order to keep the momentum going. Even if the only reason we did it was to ensure that other coaches didn't start with the "he's leaving" on the recruiting trail.

Well, I was assuming WMU negotiations in reference to a threat that Other teams trying to bargain with him. Obviously if other teams aren't calling him up, WMU wouldn't be pressed to change/ante-up his contract. I could see them extending it for 2 years though -- to make for a longer (ie bigger) buyout if/when another team does.
11-19-2014 04:46 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

If he continues on this pace we will lose assistant coaches this off-season imo. If fleck is smart he should negotiate the assistant pool up and not his own pay. They are the guys that will get him the big payout in the long run. I think he has a long term plan and it doesn't end at wmu but we gave him the shot and this needs to continue on the up swing. Good for all of us.
11-19-2014 04:50 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Kimbo said it... but the point of negotiating now is that you protect WMU financially if he were to leave. Then the buyout is bigger.
11-19-2014 07:47 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Oh, and honestly I do not see either of the coordinators leaving regardless. I think they are with Fleck from here on out.

Other assistants? Definitely vulnerable. Hart, Simon, Kenney, etc.

Of course there's also a chance there's even less turnover this year because things have been improving and they want to stick along for the ride and follow Fleck to his next destination. Who knows.
11-19-2014 08:18 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

So many times when a coach moves on to bigger and better things he doesn't take much of his current staff. He can now pick and choose from a bigger pool because of money. Very few Jerry Kills that take everyone from stop to stop. Assistant coaches need to keep moving and maybe they meet again some day.
11-19-2014 09:08 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
I would believe the negotiation because Fleck is already 10 out of 13 in MAC coaching salaries. WMU always likes to stay in the top 5 in that category if the coach is winning.
11-19-2014 09:13 PM
Cant make this sh t up Offline
2nd String

In another thread I suggested that there be some sort renegotiation...said it would be a smart business move for the University. Humm...

Don't think we lose Kenney who IMO Fleck "rejuvenated" him from the PSU mess. Think Hart and Simon, who are first year guys, will stay at least one more year.
11-19-2014 09:38 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Speaking of negotiating, the linked database shows that PJ is among the lowest paid coaches in the country. So I can see where some negotiating might be useful. I was really surprised that Dantonio is number two paid in the country.
11-19-2014 10:39 PM
Advertisement

wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
I find Brian Kelly's pay shocking as well. I have not researched it, but is ND traditionally a program that pays low?

"Low" being relative of course.
11-20-2014 04:40 AM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Be careful what you wish for. We locked up Campbell after one good season in 2012 till 2018 and a lot of us are still mad at our AD for doing so...
11-20-2014 05:04 AM
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
(11-20-2014 05:04 AM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  Be careful what you wish for. We locked up Campbell after one good season in 2012 till 2018 and a lot of us are still mad at our AD for doing so...

Seems like he is doing good things???
11-20-2014 05:11 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(11-20-2014 04:40 AM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  I find Brian Kelly's pay shocking as well. I have not researched it, but is ND traditionally a program that pays low?

"Low" being relative of course.

I thought the same thing, he's got to be thinking that as well.
11-20-2014 07:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.