jmu realignment article
10-27-2014 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: jmu realignment article
SBC not interested anymore, nor are the posters here interested in every fart or queef from FCS about where they think they fit in.

You have to get an invite, so this is a top down initiative.
10-27-2014 04:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
"Sure, JMU could go independent,"

Sort of eliminates that as a serious discussion.
10-27-2014 05:01 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
I sincerely hope JMU comes to the Belt some day with hat in hand and we tell them to take a flying leap.
10-27-2014 05:39 PM
ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
"JMU has the nicest FCS stadium..."

I had to laugh. It's an aluminum monstrosity that is huge on one side and microscopic on the other. I can think of several better stadiums in FCS...Montana for starters.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 05:50 PM by ButlerGSU.)
10-27-2014 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I don't think JMU would be happy in the G5. They should wait for something better.
10-27-2014 06:11 PM
Advertisement

Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
jmu realignment article
JMU is a waste of time. I'm tired of talking about them. They have no desire to play with the big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-27-2014 06:19 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Re: RE: jmu realignment article
(10-27-2014 04:46 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  http://augustafreepress.com/jmu-athletic...rt-go-fbs/

This article and many of the comments are completely delusional.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-27-2014 06:21 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(10-27-2014 06:21 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 04:46 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  http://augustafreepress.com/jmu-athletic...rt-go-fbs/

This article and many of the comments are completely delusional.

JMU did re-align. They aligned themselves with the CAA, if you doubt it, look at the fact the the CAA members and specifically JMU were among the handful of schools that submitted objection to autonomy legislation. In addition, the CAA specifically objected to the fact that the G5 has more voting power and FCS has none.

Everyone knows that if you are not in FBS or a power basketball conference, you are out in the cold. JMU knows it too but can't get their act together. I used to root for their inclusion in the Sun Belt, but now I just pity them. Their ineptitude knows no bounds. I'm through with them. There are other excellent choices out there. That are ready, willing and able to make the transition.

I agree with others, JMU would have to do some serious campaigning to have a chance of consideration at this point.
10-27-2014 07:30 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
The author made a few VERY misleading statements.

Talking about annual trips to Idaho, New Mexico, and Texas... That's not the reality.

In a divisional format, they'd be going to one, having another coming to them, and the third not on the schedule.

But the funny part is... I could see a situation work out that they get the invite and accept, which would be (just being honest) HILARIOUS.
10-27-2014 08:44 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
If JMU were to do a tour of SBC schools they could easily get the votes. But they will need to extend an olive branch. I know their leadership is terrible but the majority of there fans appear to want FBS and if that means SBC they are ready.

Best case is JMU wakes up, Mo. St. makes a commitment and they replace Idaho a couple years from now. Worst case we don't add anyone. Pretty good either way.
10-27-2014 08:53 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
It may not be popular to say, but I'll take 'em if it helps us get to 12 and a championship game . . . . 04-cheers
10-27-2014 08:53 PM
appfan89 Offline
2nd String

Donators
JMU who?
10-27-2014 08:56 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

writer forgot to mention that there is a real possibility there might not be a FCS in 10 years, maybe sooner. A lot of talk thru the years that the FCS could be eliminated and force teams to move up or down to division 2. If that happens and JMU is still in the FCS, cant wait to see what spin their administration will put on it.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 09:04 PM by moehler.)
10-27-2014 09:04 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

jmu realignment article
(10-27-2014 09:04 PM)moehler Wrote:  writer forgot to mention that there is a real possibility there might not be a FCS in 10 years, maybe sooner. A lot of talk thru the years that the FCS could be eliminated and force teams to move up or down to division 2. If that happens and JMU is still in the FCS, cant wait to see what spin their administration will put on it.

I don't see the NCAA doing it but I expect there may be some big changes coming.

When the NCAA adopted the federated system (Divisions I II III voting their own stuff) the number of schools who were Division I was around 200 and the number of Division I football schools around 140.

They adopted limits on scholarships and because of fear eliminated the stipend (generally called laundry money). The fear came from the combination of recession, falling enrollment and Title IX.

About 15-20 years later four things changed.
1. TV rights exploded.
2. Premium seating and ticket prices exploded.
3. The governments moved away from funding colleges and into student loans and various scholarship programs.
4. College enrollments grew.
5. The NCAA Tournament revenue grew.

The first two primarily helped the power leagues though we see more "others" using premium seating.

The second three caused Division I to grow.

Growing enrollment means more students to pay an athletic fee and loans plus the state "challenge" scholarships makes students less price conscience and tolerant of fee increases.
The tournament revenue created an added carrot to use fees to go Division I.

Autonomy is restoring the value of scholarships back to what they were in 1972. A number of schools aren't even funding all their allowed scholarships including some in the Belt. Now they will need to fund stipend to keep pace.

We are entering a downturn period in college enrollment which has always been cyclical. So a number of schools will see enrollment fall and will need some combination of budget cuts or revenue increases presumably from fees in most cases.

The problem is we face a student loan crisis. Without a much faster pace of economic growth default rates are going to take off and that will result in clamping down on loans.

This process will push a number of schools out of Division I. Historically enrollment drops create turmoil. When the GI Bill enrollment boom ended you saw schools drop sports including football or dropping to cheaper levels of competition. The same happened in the 70's when the baby boomers moved past college age.

The imbalance is best demonstrated by considering that Division I as a whole is about 75% larger than in 1973 but the number of schools playing top level football is slightly smaller in large part because of the lower cost FCS option.

If a school is FCS and cannot afford FBS and wants to be competitive in other sports they will offer stipend and most likely pay for it by reducing football scholarships or dropping FCS football. FCS probably doesn't go away but the number offering 63 scholarships probably drops.

10-27-2014 10:26 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
You forgot about exploding student/athletic fees, which makes many football programs possible.
10-28-2014 06:18 AM
Advertisement

ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
Nah, Im done with JMU. I'd as soon have Liberty than JMU at this point.
I'd rank my preferences
1. Missouri St
2. a Tennesse team (UTC, TN St, ETSU)
3. a South Carolina team (Coastal, Furman, Citadel)
4. Merging with the MVC
5. EKU
6. UMass
7. Jax St
8. Liberty
9. D2 Florida Tech or West Florida
10. D2 Missippi schools (MS College, Delta St)
11. Central Arkansas
12. GMU's club team
13. JMU
10-28-2014 08:40 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(10-28-2014 06:18 AM)cleburneslim Wrote:  You forgot about exploding student/athletic fees, which makes many football programs possible.

No I had it in there.

Growing enrollment means more students to pay an athletic fee and loans plus the state "challenge" scholarships makes students less price conscience and tolerant of fee increases.
10-28-2014 09:14 AM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
(10-27-2014 04:54 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  SBC not interested anymore, nor are the posters here interested in every fart or queef from FCS about where they think they fit in.

You have to get an invite, so this is a top down initiative.

Call me juvenile, but I lmao at that
10-28-2014 10:41 AM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

The biggest tradition at JMU is throwing purple streamers in the air after every score. That alone should keep them in the FCS. Next they'll be showing "Glee" reruns on their video board.
10-28-2014 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.