Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The takeaway from today's game
Bookmark and Share
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
It's gonna be win any way possible the rest of the way. Our defense is terrible, but every other team in this league is extremely flawed as well in one way or another.
10-25-2014 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

RE: The takeaway from today's game
(10-25-2014 06:39 PM)adunifon Wrote:  It's gonna be win any way possible the rest of the way. Our defense is terrible, but every other team in this league is extremely flawed as well in one way or another.

Agreed. We have a huge flaw in our pass defense, but other teams seem to have more flaws than us. Just win baby.

What'd you guys think of the attendance today? Couldn't ask for a better day for football in October (sunny and high of 68), yet there was a good amount of empty seats. I'd say we were at least in the 20,000s?
10-25-2014 06:45 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2014 06:45 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 06:39 PM)adunifon Wrote:  It's gonna be win any way possible the rest of the way. Our defense is terrible, but every other team in this league is extremely flawed as well in one way or another.

Agreed. We have a huge flaw in our pass defense, but other teams seem to have more flaws than us. Just win baby.

What'd you guys think of the attendance today? Couldn't ask for a better day for football in October (sunny and high of 68), yet there was a good amount of empty seats. I'd say we were at least in the 20,000s?

Missed the game today -- daughters first birthday. Only saw bits and pieces on my cell phone. Crowd sounded good on radio.
10-25-2014 06:54 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
All that matters: 4-0 in the MAC.

I thought it looked really good. Attendance was just over 20k.
10-25-2014 06:57 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
A win is a win but I can't imagine anyone being happy with how we won. It has been a few frustrating years but this year's team wins in the ugliest ways possible. All I ask for xmas is one complete game where we don't repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot. Not make every qb we face look like a Heisman contender. For the love of god, get off the field after a 3rd and long. And stop with the stupid drive killing penalties. Just when I am ready to swear off football for figure skating we get pressure on the qb and force a turnover. Yeah us. If we were a cat we'd only have 2 lives left.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2014 06:58 PM by emanoh.)
10-25-2014 06:57 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
20,000 attendance listed. I saw about 17-18,000 actual people there - disappointing.

Concerns:

Still not convinced that Woodside is a championship quarterback.

Don't know why we aren't throwing at least 5 deep passes to Russell every game.

Stupid communication problems, penalties,coaching gaffes continue.

Still not using tight ends enough. Averaging less that 2 catches per game.
10-25-2014 07:19 PM
Advertisement

northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo

This is about the weakest MAC top to bottom that I can remember.
10-25-2014 07:24 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
I took away that it doesn't make any difference whether our CBs play right up on the recievers as they did much of today, or ten yards off.
10-25-2014 07:33 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-25-2014 07:33 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I took away that it doesn't make any difference whether our CBs play right up on the recievers as they did much of today, or ten yards off.

Yeah, but at least the defense got TWO interceptions today----which is something that we haven't seen much of lately.
10-25-2014 07:41 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
My takeaways:
* some teams really are much better than their record--so it is with UMass. They certainly could have won this game.
* I think the Rockets won this one in spite of the coaches. Really--after a bye week I expected a much better looking UT team. Maybe next time we have a bye Campbell et al can take the week off. Playcalling at many times was mindboggling. Could have done with about 2/3 fewer passes. RUN the ball!
* Hunt looked very good--and we need him!
* our secondary isn't going to get much better--and I don't think having Norrils or Cole would make a huge difference. What did work was when we got pressure on their QB--he started to play much less decisively after that. Need to commit to bringing the heat more plays than not.
* can we recruit a punter? Or let Julian punt?
* run the ball! For whatever reasons, Woodside is regressing. Still locks in on whomever he's going to throw to. If Russell doesn't want to work to get open, then let's experiment with 2 TEs--put both Zmolik and Roberts out there together instead of another receiver. Both can catch the ball and will be better blockers for the run game.
*love having Hunt back...but even UMass started to key on him. Ned to use him a bit as a decoy since we only run a 1-back offense. Do some hard play action and bring back the read option more.
*its great to still control our destiny...but I'd like to see this team start to look like a champion. Right now, I wouldn't want to play WMU again.
10-25-2014 08:09 PM
KingBob Offline
Hard Core

I Root For: TD's wit a shot

Crappies
Woodside played a GREAT game... TG Hunt is back!! I think despite the coaches, the players won this game!! the officials made some very bad calls on both sides, but the one call where there was NO contact for pass interference? CMon!!

our defense does sucks... but, there are signs of brilliance!!

to me... a win is a win!!!
10-25-2014 08:10 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(10-25-2014 08:10 PM)KingBob Wrote:  Woodside played a GREAT game... TG Hunt is back!! I think despite the coaches, the players won this game!! the officials made some very bad calls on both sides, but the one call where there was NO contact for pass interference? CMon!!

Woodside? I dunno...his interceptions were terrible throws, many of his other throws were quite a bit off target, and at least a few catches were all on the effort of the receiver (or, more accurately, the TE--his TD catch was a great effort and the long pass that set up our final TD was on a broken play but by the time Woodside saw him he wasn't nearly as open as he had been and that pass almost got picked off. I want Woodside to succeed...but his play since the CMU game has been pretty iffy.
10-25-2014 08:18 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(10-25-2014 08:10 PM)KingBob Wrote:  Woodside played a GREAT game... TG Hunt is back!! I think despite the coaches, the players won this game!! the officials made some very bad calls on both sides, but the one call where there was NO contact for pass interference? CMon!!

If you think Woodside had a great game, perhaps you weren't drunk enough...04-cheers
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
I'm am glad to see a Rocket victory. The game was entertaining if nothing else.

The team looks lost and confused out there. And the execution is really poor. I could not possibly be more dissatisfied with our coach and his staff.

I am amazed we have won each of our MAC games and thinking back to the WMU contest could not feel more fortunate at that result.

I have not come away from any game thinking we have a good team.

The UMASS QB's accuracy was off or we lose today. He was 29 for 57. Some of that I credit the pass rush. But on non-blitzing situations he had all day to throw and just missed wide open receivers. And he missed badly. Otherwise we could of been on the wrong side of a beat down.

Finally, what year is Kareem Hunt? A sophomore?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2014 08:18 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  

If you think Woodside had a great game, perhaps you weren't drunk enough...04-cheers

Must have been stone sober KingBob....
10-25-2014 08:32 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
(10-25-2014 08:09 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  My takeaways:
* some teams really are much better than their record--so it is with UMass. They certainly could have won this game.
* I think the Rockets won this one in spite of the coaches. Really--after a bye week I expected a much better looking UT team. Maybe next time we have a bye Campbell et al can take the week off. Playcalling at many times was mindboggling. Could have done with about 2/3 fewer passes. RUN the ball!
* Hunt looked very good--and we need him!
* our secondary isn't going to get much better--and I don't think having Norrils or Cole would make a huge difference. What did work was when we got pressure on their QB--he started to play much less decisively after that. Need to commit to bringing the heat more plays than not.
* can we recruit a punter? Or let Julian punt?
* run the ball! For whatever reasons, Woodside is regressing. Still locks in on whomever he's going to throw to. If Russell doesn't want to work to get open, then let's experiment with 2 TEs--put both Zmolik and Roberts out there together instead of another receiver. Both can catch the ball and will be better blockers for the run game.
*love having Hunt back...but even UMass started to key on him. Ned to use him a bit as a decoy since we only run a 1-back offense. Do some hard play action and bring back the read option more.
*its great to still control our destiny...but I'd like to see this team start to look like a champion. Right now, I wouldn't want to play WMU again.

This post pretty much covers my thoughts.
Except, I don't think UMASS is better than the 2-7 team its record indicates. The wins are over cupcakes.
I think Norrils would make a huge difference. And Cole would make some difference.

I kind of believe we stink. And stink a lot. But if we can make it to the MACC anyways I will be there to enjoy it. And would love to see us bring a trophy home.

But don't think I would be up for a bowl game.
10-25-2014 08:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

Woodside is horrible

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
10-25-2014 09:37 PM
Henry Burlingame Offline
Special Teams

I don't think I've ever seen a team convert as many 3rd or 4th downs as UMass did today. I'm not sure whether to credit them or fault or our defense. Probably a bit of both.
10-25-2014 10:01 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The picks were frustrating, but Woodside ended up 20-of-34 (58.8%) for 225 yards and three TDs. We like to see our QB's with a little higher completion percentage, but I wouldn't call it terrible. Jones had a couple drops, Olack had a drop, and I think Swanson had a drop. He doesn't look like he has the confidence he had earlier in the season. It almost looks like he's trying too hard. Should we have hired an experienced QB coach?
10-25-2014 10:03 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I was really happy to enjoy a beautiful afternoon at the ball game with my wife.

I sure did need to clean up the leaves, etc..., but man am I glad this was a win. I thought for sure (For at least the third time of the day when Toledo had the opportunity to go for the jugular after a nice stop and momentum swing) Toledo had finally spent their last opportunity with a few minutes to play to take care of business. Then the defense came up big, and the offense took advantage of a tired U Mass defense and viola, Toledo has a very important MAC victory. Yessss!

Woodside had an off day, but made enough throws to win and his receivers had several drops even though that reflects on his stats. There is no experience behind him, so a 42 point effort will have to suffice.

U Mass offense is good, their defense is mediocre. They did a nice job of picking up the blitz. I am glad Toledo is being creative, but this creates more one on one and wide-open situations. The pressure was noticeable. The late touchdown defense for Toledo was terrible. No excuses. Was there not one of the 5 DBS within a couple yards willing to take on the blocker and tangle up the college version of Megatron? Please. I try to be positive, but 5 DBS running with the blocker for 40 yards is a serious lack of man hood. Man up.

After the Spring game, I commented on Roberts at tight end. I mentioned how athletic he is with soft hands. He is gonna be a tough match up for any DB, or LB. I was so glad to see him getting the ball. Dude is a stud and needs to be a focus on offense. You saw it today. Keep going there coaches!!! Toledo loses today without his play, yet no one is talking about it.

This is an important "W". Four more!!!!!
10-25-2014 10:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.