Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EX-Players Fear for BYU Future- Interesting Article
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
“If the drop-off is that big, then it’s a coaching an issue; it’s a recruiting issue.”

Kuresa even went so far as to say “I don’t think there’s a lot of reason to be overly optimistic as far as wins and losses” the remainder of the season.

Some even want Bronco's head

LINK
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2014 10:11 AM by BIgCatonProwl.)
10-25-2014 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: EX-Players Fear for BYU Future- Interesting Article
From what I'm hearing, Michigan will be happy to take him off of their hands.
10-25-2014 10:39 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I think being independent hurts them as they have nothing to play for once they lose a game or two. In a conference, they'd at least rack up conference championships or division titles. Add the religious restrictions and it will be hard for them to ever attract top tier talent.

I'm not all doom and gloom though. I think with a healthy QB Hill, they'd be undefeated or close to it. Bronco Mendenhall seems to be the best with what he's got. I'd love for them to come to the American, but even going to the MWC would probably help them.
10-25-2014 12:38 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
I still see BYU going bowling this season. UNLV and Savannah State should be wins
10-25-2014 01:03 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-25-2014 12:38 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  I think being independent hurts them as they have nothing to play for once they lose a game or two. In a conference, they'd at least rack up conference championships or division titles. Add the religious restrictions and it will be hard for them to ever attract top tier talent.

I'm not all doom and gloom though. I think with a healthy QB Hill, they'd be undefeated or close to it. Bronco Mendenhall seems to be the best with what he's got. I'd love for them to come to the American, but even going to the MWC would probably help them.

I just don't think their a good fit for the AAC due to the LDS church being so obscure outside the mountain states. LDS fans can watch them play every year in Boise, Vegas, San Diego, Wyoming, Hawaii etc. it's probably nice to have "road" games where 1/4 to 1/2 of the fans are your own.
10-25-2014 05:18 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(10-25-2014 05:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(10-25-2014 12:38 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  I think being independent hurts them as they have nothing to play for once they lose a game or two. In a conference, they'd at least rack up conference championships or division titles. Add the religious restrictions and it will be hard for them to ever attract top tier talent.

I just don't think their a good fit for the AAC due to the LDS church being so obscure outside the mountain states. LDS fans can watch them play every year in Boise, Vegas, San Diego, Wyoming, Hawaii etc. it's probably nice to have "road" games where 1/4 to 1/2 of the fans are your own.

Most large towns have a LDS Church…Heck the town I live in in Eastern NC has two different LDS Churches and we only have a population of just over 100,000 in the entire county. There is a much larger presence of the Mormon faith all around the country than most people realize.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 09:42 AM by ECU-DMB Fanatic.)
10-26-2014 09:41 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(10-26-2014 09:41 AM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  

Most large towns have a LDS Church…Heck the town I live in in Eastern NC has two different LDS Churches and we only have a population of just over 100,000 in the entire county. There is a much larger presence of the Mormon faith all around the country than most people realize.

There's a huge Mormon temple in DC, visible from the Beltway (it might be in Maryalnd, actually, but who cares). Best known for the "Free Dorothy" and/or "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti on the railroad bridge over teh Beltway as you see the temple, which for years was bathed in green lights.

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/ywc/a...brides.htm

Dunno if there's a huge number of people using the temple or not.
10-26-2014 09:55 AM
Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
(10-25-2014 05:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I just don't think their a good fit for the AAC due to the LDS church being so obscure outside the mountain states. LDS fans can watch them play every year in Boise, Vegas, San Diego, Wyoming, Hawaii etc. it's probably nice to have "road" games where 1/4 to 1/2 of the fans are your own.

While the bulk of their membership is in states out west, Texas (where the AAC has 2 teams) has the 5th most LDS members of any state (326,000). Also the Mormons are the largest land holder in the state of Florida (where the AAC has 2 teams) and the state has the 10th most LDS members of any state (147,000). North Carolina actually has the 13th most LDS members of any state (81,000).

By comparison, Wyoming has only 66,000 LDS member and Hawaii has 73,000.
10-26-2014 10:02 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(10-26-2014 09:41 AM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  

Yep, they have gone national and stayed under the radar. There are a lot in Nashville.
10-26-2014 10:09 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Ok Quo. 07-coffee3
10-26-2014 10:46 AM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
The AAC would take BYU in less them 1/10 of 1 second. The problem with the AAC expanding is that the MWC teams really do like playing each other. Before we went to 12, I think we could have invited enough of them to make it happen, but at this point I dont think it would happen.

New Mexico supposedly would be the easiest to get, but outside of Bball would we really want them? To me, outside of Boise St, CSU is the most desirable and if we could convince Air Force, then it would be a good add.

The West could look like Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Air Force and CSU. Travel costs would be about the same for everybody but Memphis, which could be taken care of with a mild stipend.

If by any chance those two could be taken... Then at that point you take one more Run at BYU and hopefully add Army.

Having BYU and the three Academies, along with a very up and coming CSU would make the American much stronger. Both BYU and CSU are NCAA tourney teams, so we could count on 7 bids a year or more.
It also would give us 14 full members and 2 football only (Navy and Army) which is a near perfect size.

If you want to get really crazy and move to 16 in all sports, then add VCU and Wichita St. to balance out the two academies being Football only. That would make the AAC the basketball conference. with 9-10 bids per year.

What WILL happen...Nothing.
10-26-2014 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Actually the most likely school that might leave the MWC for the AAC if BYU joined would be SDSU. Remember they wanted to stay in the AAC but after money didn't pan out and having yo keep their Olympic sports in the BW it didn't make sense.
Now you add BYU and increase TV money and give them all sports access and hey might be interested.
10-26-2014 11:13 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I remember reading an article quoting the san diego st ad amd he seemed to be excited about the big east/west setup they were about to have. I think if an opportunity arose like that again they would take advantage of it
10-26-2014 01:57 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(10-26-2014 01:57 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I remember reading an article quoting the san diego st ad amd he seemed to be excited about the big east/west setup they were about to have. I think if an opportunity arose like that again they would take advantage of it
The $$$ has to work out the right way… but yeah I think the idea of it would be very appealing to them.

Look at it this way: they were willing to be western partners with Boise State. Being western partners with BYU is a much bigger platform.
10-26-2014 02:48 PM
mtmedlin Offline

(10-26-2014 11:13 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Actually the most likely school that might leave the MWC for the AAC if BYU joined would be SDSU. Remember they wanted to stay in the AAC but after money didn't pan out and having yo keep their Olympic sports in the BW it didn't make sense.
Now you add BYU and increase TV money and give them all sports access and hey might be interested.

But economically speaking for us, it doesnt make sense. SDSU is WAY the hell over there. If you look at adding Colorado St., Air Force, and BYU the travel is quite a bit less and it sets up a balances 8 west and 8 east conference that would include Army.

I personally think its key to get all three academies which has national appeal and then BYU which also does too.

I now SDSU wanted to be a part of our conference but I think that chance passed when we added the final 3 eastern teams.
10-26-2014 04:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-26-2014 04:40 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 11:13 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Actually the most likely school that might leave the MWC for the AAC if BYU joined would be SDSU. Remember they wanted to stay in the AAC but after money didn't pan out and having yo keep their Olympic sports in the BW it didn't make sense.

But economically speaking for us, it doesnt make sense. SDSU is WAY the hell over there. If you look at adding Colorado St., Air Force, and BYU the travel is quite a bit less and it sets up a balances 8 west and 8 east conference that would include Army.

I personally think its key to get all three academies which has national appeal and then BYU which also does too.

I now SDSU wanted to be a part of our conference but I think that chance passed when we added the final 3 eastern teams.

Doesn't matter wether it's CSU,BYU or SDSU they will all need air travel. San Diego is a large city and if you are talking LDS then BYU would love that addition
San Diego is closer to Houston than UConn
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 04:44 PM by Cubanbull.)
10-26-2014 04:42 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
3 pods....eastern/central/western

East - ucf, usf, ecu, uconn, temple, navy
Central - cincy, tulane, tulsa, houston, smu, Memphis
West - BYU, Air Force, SDSU, Boise State, UNLV, Colorado State

You would think this would have some value to a network with 3 timezones watching the games. Possible network options with that many teams.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 05:10 PM by KNIGHTTIME.)
10-26-2014 05:05 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Byu, csu and air force would be a hell of a package. Afa and csu are kind of a package deal with wyoming though. Wyo/csu is a very important rivaly for both sides. Not saying csu wouldn't leave them behind but BYU woukd HAVE to be part of the mix.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-26-2014 05:32 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-26-2014 05:32 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Byu, csu and air force would be a hell of a package. Afa and csu are kind of a package deal with wyoming though. Wyo/csu is a very important rivaly for both sides. Not saying csu wouldn't leave them behind but BYU woukd HAVE to be part of the mix.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

The front range schools (wyoming, CSU, AF) won't ever split up. See 16 team WAC break up of 98 for more details on this topic.
10-26-2014 05:52 PM
mtmedlin Offline

(10-26-2014 05:05 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  3 pods....eastern/central/western

East - ucf, usf, ecu, uconn, temple, navy
Central - cincy, tulane, tulsa, houston, smu, Memphis
West - BYU, Air Force, SDSU, Boise State, UNLV, Colorado State

You would think this would have some value to a network with 3 timezones watching the games. Possible network options with that many teams.

I am not certain we would get much more money for that setup. Too many mouths to feed and the biggest issue I see is we could be screwing ourselves.
Remember that if we add the rest of the strong teams, then we will knock ourselves out and a piss ant team like Marshal will get the Access bowl.

Only way I think we expand to 16 is if we are guranteed access... which could happen once the playoff is expanded to 8 or more.
10-26-2014 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.