Ex Softball Coach Suing UT
10-23-2014 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
RE: Ex Softball Coach Suing UT
1. Who did she want the baseball team to share the locker room with???

2. I bet that the woman's locker room is pretty crowded with both those teams in it. Softball and Soccer....... (jamming them in)

3. U. of Toledo actually supports women's athletics. Hasn't she gone to a WBB game??? We cheer on our women's golf, CC, track, & volleyball. Just look at the threads on this board. You won't that on many other college boards.
No support for the women?????

4. The teams have to pay rent for use of Scott Park to the University??? Wouldn't that be part of the athletic facilities budget?
10-23-2014 04:46 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Not sure what to think about any of this since it Flys directly in the face of anything I have ever heard about the parties mentioned and the good vibes coming out of the athletic dept.
10-23-2014 04:50 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-23-2014 04:46 PM)Terry Wrote:  1. Who did she want the baseball team to share the locker room with???

2. I bet that the woman's locker room is pretty crowded with both those teams in it. Softball and Soccer....... (jamming them in)

3. U. of Toledo actually supports women's athletics. Hasn't she gone to a WBB game??? We cheer on our women's golf, CC, track, & volleyball. Just look at the threads on this board. You won't that on many other college boards.

4. The teams have to pay rent for use of Scott Park to the University??? Wouldn't that be part of the athletic facilities budget?

This means if a high school team uses the field (doesn't happen much) the rental fee goes directly to the team.

BTW, I could see Karabin calling a female coach a *****.

Softball has to have the worst facilities in the MAC. Many high schools have better fields.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 05:18 PM by DetroitRocket.)
10-23-2014 05:13 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Not sure about the other stuff, but this point ruins pretty much any credibility:

Quote:Ms. Beyster contends that she was not offered a multi-year contract – and male coaches were offered them – that she was the lowest-paid softball coach in the Mid-American Conference, and the university's nepotism policy was enforced for her, but not in other places.

YOU WERE 55-156 IN 4 SEASONS! 26% win%! What should UT have done, offered her a 5 year contract and make her the highest paid coach in MAC softball??? If this was football or basketball, she would have been fired way sooner.
10-23-2014 05:55 PM
UT1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
[quote='Terry' pid='11281665' dateline='1414100797']

Don't forget the Fan Tunnel!!05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 06:37 PM by UT1.)
10-23-2014 06:37 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(10-23-2014 05:55 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  Not sure about the other stuff, but this point ruins pretty much any credibility:

Quote:Ms. Beyster contends that she was not offered a multi-year contract – and male coaches were offered them – that she was the lowest-paid softball coach in the Mid-American Conference, and the university's nepotism policy was enforced for her, but not in other places.

YOU WERE 55-156 IN 4 SEASONS! 26% win%! What should UT have done, offered her a 5 year contract and make her the highest paid coach in MAC softball??? If this was football or basketball, she would have been fired way sooner.

Excellent point.
10-23-2014 07:04 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(10-23-2014 06:37 PM)UT1 Wrote:  [quote='Terry' pid='11281665' dateline='1414100797']

Don't forget the Fan Tunnel!!05-stirthepot

I agree you (UT1) should be part of that one at Scott Park.......... UNDERGROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick
10-23-2014 07:57 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
I recall BSU having Title 9 issues w/ softball team dressing behind a van in the parking lot. Softball seems to be the dregs of MAC sports in terms of resources. I'll follow this with interest:was her winning percent a result of her coaching or a result of inadequate resources seems to be a key issue.
10-23-2014 08:33 PM
Photodan Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
As always, I'm going to take the complaints with a healthy grain of salt. The frustrating thing is that, until the legalities are over, the university can't openly refute the allegations so people can hear the other side of the story. Until that time, open (ignorant) speculation will probably fill the void.
10-23-2014 09:29 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-23-2014 09:29 PM)Photodan Wrote:  As always, I'm going to take the complaints with a healthy grain of salt. The frustrating thing is that, until the legalities are over, the university can't openly refute the allegations so people can hear the other side of the story. Until that time, open (ignorant) speculation will probably fill the void.

What is the nepotism? Who is she married to, living with, or the daughter of where this became a problem for her (but not for others) as she has alleged?

She had better be confident of winning this suit because she will have a very difficult time finding another job as a softball coach if she loses. She could defend her record in an interview, but if you sue your former employer, you had better win the case just to have a sniff at another job opportunity.

I just get the feeling she was not the easiest person to get along with and likely viewed UT as below her standards - even though she seemed to begrudgingly accept the job offer (with promises that were likely never in writing - and likely never made).
10-23-2014 09:55 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This is interesting......

“Both the women and male coaches had locker rooms, but the University assigned the referees and umpires to use the women coaches’ locker room.” According to the complaint file. “Male referees and umpires walked in on every female coach, and at least three female coaches were nude when a referee or umpire walked in.”
10-24-2014 01:37 AM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
(10-23-2014 08:33 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I recall BSU having Title 9 issues w/ softball team dressing behind a van in the parking lot. Softball seems to be the dregs of MAC sports in terms of resources. I'll follow this with interest:was her winning percent a result of her coaching or a result of inadequate resources seems to be a key issue.

What? You're not going to jump to conclusions before learning any facts? Coward!
10-24-2014 06:19 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-24-2014 06:19 AM)Dwight Wrote:  
(10-23-2014 08:33 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  I recall BSU having Title 9 issues w/ softball team dressing behind a van in the parking lot. Softball seems to be the dregs of MAC sports in terms of resources. I'll follow this with interest:was her winning percent a result of her coaching or a result of inadequate resources seems to be a key issue.

What? You're not going to jump to conclusions before learning any facts? Coward!

OK, I suspect she is an ebola inflicted terrorist who is just frustrated because she never made "the Show". Her troubles at UT started when she was disciplined for e insisting on driving the team to a game during a Level 3 snow emergency. rumor is she needs the money to get work done so she can find employment in the film business. Of course, I just started that rumor....
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 06:39 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
10-24-2014 06:36 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Could you sort of argue that title IX added to the problem. The men's team didn't have to share a locker room because there's no other men's team to share with?

Not sure how the facilities at Scott Park are set up? Do the softball and soccer seasons overlap enough that sharing is an issue? It sounds like both teams don't have dedicated locker rooms? You would think this would have been a title IX violation when they built the facility.

If she's complaining about the university not maintaining the softball fields, have you seen the baseball field? It sure ain't Wrigley Field next door?

I think UT has a long track record of supporting women's athletics at a high level. It does suck that she can toss out whatever allegations she wants to, but UT has to bite their tongues and sit on their hands until the investigation/court thing progresses. I thought it was interesting/cool/strange that Haddessell (sp?) was quoted in the Blah article and he refutes the allegations and publically supports his firing as what should have happened.
10-24-2014 01:46 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-24-2014 01:46 PM)emanoh Wrote:  Could you sort of argue that title IX added to the problem. The men's team didn't have to share a locker room because there's no other men's team to share with?

Not sure how the facilities at Scott Park are set up? Do the softball and soccer seasons overlap enough that sharing is an issue? It sounds like both teams don't have dedicated locker rooms? You would think this would have been a title IX violation when they built the facility.

When the Finley facility was built, soccer wasn't at Scott Park, so it was built just for BB and SB. Soccer is mainly Fall and Softball mainly Spring, but they do overlap because both sports have short practice seasons in Fall/Spring.
10-24-2014 01:59 PM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
So how do we pass the Title IX guidelines now with this locker room sharing issue. You would assume it doesn't pass muster in the eyes of the ncaa?
10-24-2014 04:25 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
I heard once that a school got busted once for a title IX violation because the men's basketball team had two steps out to the gym vs three for the women's team.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 04:28 PM by emanoh.)
10-24-2014 04:27 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Does the swimming team have their own locker room or do they share with the general populace at the rec center?
10-26-2014 08:24 PM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
setup a Trailer for them to dress in...after all they're non-revenue generating (just joking). Maybe an addition would be nice.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 07:50 AM by utrocks84.)
10-27-2014 07:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.