Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Negative view on MAC West foe NIU
Bookmark and Share
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Negative view on MAC West foe NIU
I think they stink.05-stirthepot They lost a lot of good players and have some injuries which are keeping them from being as good as the past. That's fine, so are we... and that's college football.

But they have the darn near worst schedule in the conference, and IMO they beat Northwestern when they were playing like dog crap to start the season.
We have one common opponent, with a 2 TD swing in the results vs. CMU. Both games at home for each respective school.

Our WMU game to their Kent State game is not comparable (like we thought) because as we have seen WMU is actually a formidable MAC team this season. Unless we lose to Umass, or struggle with Kent I am going to guess we will win the following game vs. NIU. Maybe not a big win, because of the (rivalry) factor, and obviously both teams will be battling. How we win THAT game doesn't matter to me.

But I think NIU will probably lose another MAC game, maybe be 5-3 or 4-4 when it's all said and done. 03-shhhh

One thing Toledo has that NIU doesn't is DEPTH. How many teams can respond to injuries like Toledo has. We've gone through the meat of our schedule as far as big time opponents go, and no we didn't play perfect... but the seniors are going for the MACC and every team in the way has a target on their back.

I am disgusted when people make their MAC power rankings, and Toledo is in the same tier with NIU. I am disgusted when SB nation has an underdog poll of the best G5 teams and NIU is 7th, and Toledo is off the list of top 15.

NIU plays BSU 6 days before us, and Toledo will have 7 days of preparation after a 10 day layoff before Kent State.

If Toledo fails to execute for 4 quarters THIS year vs. the Huskies, it's on the coaches because there should be NO Excuses.

The MAC West is in our control...
It starts with Umass03-nutkick
10-22-2014 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Negative view on MAC West foe NIU
NIU is a fine program, that broke ground for the MAC making it to the Orange Bowl. As defending MAC West Champs, the road to the MACC still goes through DeKalb. November 11th will be a battle, expect it.
10-22-2014 11:39 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Quote:One thing Toledo has that NIU doesn't is DEPTH. How many teams can respond to injuries like Toledo has
Wut? NIU has been missing arguably the best offensive player and best defensive player on the team for the entire season and is still 5-2.

Toledo is the favorites in the West right now because they don't have a loss and there's a decent chance they won't even have to win in DeKalb to get to Detroit, but NIU is still going to win in all likelyhood at least 8-9 games this year so saying they stink is a huge stretch.

Toledo just lost to argubably the worst BCS team in the country (with the exception of Kansas), so to be downplaying any win over a BCS school is silly.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 12:01 PM by 7.)
10-22-2014 12:01 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-22-2014 12:01 PM)7 Wrote:  
Quote:One thing Toledo has that NIU doesn't is DEPTH. How many teams can respond to injuries like Toledo has
Wut? NIU has been missing arguably the best offensive player and best defensive player on the team for the entire season and is still 5-2.

Toledo is the favorites in the West right now because they don't have a loss and there's a decent chance they won't even have to win in DeKalb to get to Detroit, but NIU is still going to win in all likelyhood at least 8-9 games this year so saying they stink is a huge stretch.

Toledo just lost to argubably the worst BCS team in the country (with the exception of Kansas), so to be downplaying any win over a BCS school is silly.

ISU was good enough to win in Iowa City.
10-22-2014 12:26 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Iowa State would be in the top 8 of the big10 and go bowling with a B10 schedule. Toledo, Iowa, and NDSU are the worst teams on their schedule to date!????

Computers have them ranked 66, with the 5th toughest SOS in the nation.

It's tough to win when you play a ranked team every other week. Not only are the good teams hard to beat, the lesser teams become tough as well because you're friggen banged up from playing K-State, Baylor, Oklahoma State etc...
10-22-2014 12:50 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

So is UT and BG.... get over it. That's football. Sucks that we all don't have the same lineups from fall camp.
10-22-2014 12:52 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-22-2014 12:52 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

So is UT and BG.... get over it. That's football. Sucks that we all don't have the same lineups from fall camp.
Wtf you brought it up. I was merely pointing out that NIU does have depth. How about Toledo shows they can actually beat NIU on the field before we start saying Toledo has better anything than NIU.
10-22-2014 01:36 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

Guys, calm down. It's only a (rivalry) not a rivalry.
10-22-2014 04:28 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I said in my main post injuries are not excuse for niu or toledo, and our depth is better than nius after the injuries.
10-22-2014 05:57 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
TOLEDO will not win in DeKalb this year in football or Basketball! You guys used to have our number in football but now we have yours. In Basketball, we beat you in DeKalb with the worst offensive team in the conference last year.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 08:13 PM by dekalb222.)
10-22-2014 07:11 PM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
It seems like we always get NIU late in our season and every year they give us a game, if not several games against other opponents to cling onto in hopes that we could pull it off. Last year it was "Oh, they only beat Akron by a TD, we got this!". They did it a bunch of times during their Orange Bowl season, letting Ball State and Western Michigan hang around, and how good can they be if they only beat The Army by 1, etc. 2011 had just about the entire schedule almost beating NIU but only CMU, of all people, could actually finish the job.

It's nice that other teams are showing that the team can be defeated, but until we do, I'm going to stay convinced that NIU is built specifically to beat us and not fall into the trap of reading too much into other results (why do they always come up small in the championship game?).

But, as for the Iowa State comment, the Cyclones are leaps and bounds better than Colorado, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Michigan, Kansas, Illinois, Purdue...and at home, I'd favor them over 22 additional P5 teams. Unless that was just a joke that I'm taking way too seriously.
10-22-2014 07:31 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-22-2014 07:31 PM)therockets046 Wrote:  It seems like we always get NIU late in our season and every year they give us a game, if not several games against other opponents to cling onto in hopes that we could pull it off. Last year it was "Oh, they only beat Akron by a TD, we got this!". They did it a bunch of times during their Orange Bowl season, letting Ball State and Western Michigan hang around, and how good can they be if they only beat The Army by 1, etc. 2011 had just about the entire schedule almost beating NIU but only CMU, of all people, could actually finish the job.

It's nice that other teams are showing that the team can be defeated, but until we do, I'm going to stay convinced that NIU is built specifically to beat us and not fall into the trap of reading too much into other results (why do they always come up small in the championship game?).

But, as for the Iowa State comment, the Cyclones are leaps and bounds better than Colorado, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Michigan, Kansas, Illinois, Purdue...and at home, I'd favor them over 22 additional P5 teams. Unless that was just a joke that I'm taking way too seriously.

No, some NIU fans seriously think they are atrocious... lots of people do.
NIU fans seem to all think being 5-2 is means something alao. Besides of the fact they are one away from bowl eligibility...their schedule is the reason for 5 wins. Toledo would have 6 IMO with that schedule.

Here are the rankings via massey.

NIU- 71
Presbyterian- NR
Northwestern- 63
UNLV- 114
Arkansas- 40
Kent- 120
CMU- 93
Miami- 122

Toledo 76
UNH- NR
Mizzou- 25
Cincy- 73

BSU- 108
CMU- 93
WMU- 86
Iowa State- 77

SAGARIN's are as followed.

NIU-92
Presbyterian- 192
Northwestern- 61
UNLV- 163
Arkansas- 32
Kent- 173
CMU- 112
Miami- 164

Toledo-68
UNH- 72
Mizzou- 26
Cincy- 64

BSU- 115
CMU- 112
WMU- 99
Iowa State- 66
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 08:13 PM by UofToledoFans.)
10-22-2014 08:12 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Even with the injuries NIU has had, along with Toledo's injuries, I think NIU still has as much depth. As for the other comments, I can't really disagree. Rankings of teams usually take into consideration earlier years, not just the current one (whether they admit to that or not) and NIU still gets credit for what it did last year.

As of right now I'd say Toledo is a little better unless NIU gets its defense figured out. At this point I don't think we'd win a shootout.
10-23-2014 03:44 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
NIU still makes me nervous. We have wilted under pressure in this big game the last 3 yrs and haven't seen enough on the field to think that this is the year the monkey gets off our back. We had ISU on their own field and let another big game slip through our fingers.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2014 01:23 PM by emanoh.)
10-23-2014 05:06 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(10-23-2014 05:06 PM)emanoh Wrote:  NIU still makes me nervous. We have wilted under pressure in this big game the last 3 yrs and haven't seen enough on the field to think that this is the year the monkey gets off our back. We had OSU on their own field and let another big game slip through our fingers.

Have you seen NIU this year? 04-jawdrop
10-23-2014 06:17 PM
ToledoMike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
NIU may be down a hair, but this game will likely be a close battle and will again likely decide the MAC West. A year ago, many observers me included, could see the upswing of the Rockets due to recruiting and existing personnel. We could also see the likely downswing of NIU due to the inevitable inability to perpetually replace their super human QB's.

Actually, we should be most concerned about UMass right now. We are good enough to put the hammer down and take care of them, but will we? I sure hope so!04-rock
10-23-2014 06:37 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The only thing that matters is execution on the field and winning the important match ups. The reason some teams "have the number" of another school is confidence - knowing they have done it before and will do it again. It's often tough to snap a losing streak. My biggest concern has been our coaching and preparation for those games. The worst was when we allowed back to back KO returns for TD's then did not manage the timeouts at the end of the game - and we lose. We need to show we can effectively prepare for a big game, and know what adjustments may need to be made.

Right now, we have a back-up QB that has very little game experience. I don't know why that is - unless there is a fear that he gets injured trying to get some game time experience.
10-23-2014 09:42 PM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(10-22-2014 07:11 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  TOLEDO will not win in DeKalb this year in football or Basketball! You guys used to have our number in football but now we have yours. In Basketball, we beat you in DeKalb with the worst offensive team in the conference last year.

Here is the bottom line that nobody can argue. Rule #1 The past four years we have played a much tougher schedule then NIU. Their playing weaker P5 teams and an FCS school has equated to more wins. Rule #2 NIU has beat Toledo each time. They have been better.

That being said I think that Lynch and Harnish put them over the top many times. I do think they may lose another MAC game or two. WMU will probably beat them. They surely know that we have the ability to beat them. I also think they could have a let down game on the road against BSU or EMU but that is less likely.
10-24-2014 07:57 AM
1st String

(10-24-2014 07:57 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  
(10-22-2014 07:11 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  TOLEDO will not win in DeKalb this year in football or Basketball! You guys used to have our number in football but now we have yours. In Basketball, we beat you in DeKalb with the worst offensive team in the conference last year.

Here is the bottom line that nobody can argue. Rule #1 The past four years we have played a much tougher schedule then NIU. Their playing weaker P5 teams and an FCS school has equated to more wins. Rule #2 NIU has beat Toledo each time. They have been better. In addition their scheduling at home has hurt them attendance wise and season ticket wise, but it has equated to more wins. Their new AD has schedules many one for ones with schools that will give NIU a better game more often so that will equate to some more losses in the future for sure. But the scheduling had to change as they are only selling about 4,000 season tickets which is downright pitiful after the seasons they have had, but then again they have five home games with only three of them on a Saturday and one of the weeknight games was Presbetyrian.

That being said I think that Lynch and Harnish put them over the top many times. I do think they may lose another MAC game or two. WMU will probably beat them. They surely know that we have the ability to beat them. I also think they could have a let down game on the road against BSU or EMU but that is less likely.
10-24-2014 08:03 AM
1st String

I guarantee we will not lose in basketball at your place this year. We will also win at home against you in basketball. As far as football goes you have had our number but we have pretty much been the only team in the MAC that gives you a run for the money every year, except the teams that have beat NIU in the MAC championship games.
10-24-2014 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.