Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Five Things Memphis Needs to Fix During the Bye Week
Bookmark and Share
Tiger-n-Bear Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Five Things Memphis Needs to Fix During the Bye Week
Five Things Memphis Needs to Fix During the Bye Week, from the AAC Football Fever blog

http://aacfootballfever.com/five-things-...aviFd.dpuf
10-14-2014 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
RE: Five Things Memphis Needs to Fix During the Bye Week
I didn't read the article, but I hope "not run it up the middle for 1, 0, or -1 yd on 1st down" was at the top of the list.
10-14-2014 09:57 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I could add--disallow all attendance threads during the week as well.
10-14-2014 10:49 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
The university in the future needs to coincide their bye week with fall break
10-15-2014 07:53 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Houston does have a top 15 defense. Just sayin.
10-15-2014 08:12 AM
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I just watched Ole Miss throttle Texas A&M's offense. No wonder.
10-15-2014 08:22 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

We were up 14-0
10-15-2014 08:25 AM
ballhog Offline
All American

1, 4, and 5 are valid. However, all but one of Jake Elliot's misses have been from 50 or more yards if I heard that stat correctly the other day. He hits the "routine" FGs pretty consistently.

And to say that Sam Craft is underperforming is ridiculous. He has had to step into a tough situation. He is a slash/ type player that is having to play full blown RB in most situations. Hopefully, Hayes will relieve some of the pressure now that he is back.
10-15-2014 08:25 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Sam has bulked up, but I think he's always going to be more of a Barry Sanders than a Robert Newhouse. Two references for us old guys. We're doggone lucky to have Sam.
10-15-2014 08:34 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I'm thinking the big boa gets some more reps this week in practice
10-15-2014 08:47 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(10-14-2014 09:57 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  I didn't read the article, but I hope "not run it up the middle for 1, 0, or -1 yd on 1st down" was at the top of the list.

You tell em!!!
10-15-2014 09:01 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(10-14-2014 09:57 PM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  I didn't read the article, but I hope "not run it up the middle for 1, 0, or -1 yd on 1st down" was at the top of the list.

Every defensive coordinator documents and analyzes opponents offensive tendencies when studying films of previous games. If you never (or rarely) hit the middle on first down, you are giving the opposing defense an important edge.
10-15-2014 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
I agree about Elliot, he has struggled this year although some of those misses were from way out. The one he missed Saturday was from about 46 I think, and he needs to be able to hit that. Anything over 50 is a bonus. But this was the first game this year where we really needed the field goal, as it would have made a huge difference in the last 7 minutes of that game if all we needed was a FG to win.

Agree about the receivers. The drop by Malone, the fumble by Jones and a catch that I think Jones should have made in the 3rd quarter down the sideline. It would have been a tough catch but Lynch put the ball right there and you have to make that catch if you want to be a playmaker.

Craft isn't a tailback, we just caught Cincy by surprise so I doubt he hits those numbers again unless some of our future opponents are just awful stopping the run. I'd like to see more of Cooper in those short down situations, think he could move the pile.

And Lynch is having a good year, Houston had his number, they had scouted very well and tricked him into a couple of bad reads. He still made a lot of good throws and I think maybe they asked him to run a bit too much the other night. I realize most of those are on the option read, but I'm pretty sure some were called draw plays.

If we can stop the turnovers there isn't anything to hold us back, I like this team.
10-15-2014 10:21 AM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Will not win with Craft at RB. While he is very talented he is better in open field. Not really build for up the middle rushing. We must have our regular running back to be prepared to do their job and use Craft where he is best suited. Also have to go vertical in passing game. Teams are focusing on our east west passing game. Screens and dump passes are not going to get it done unless we get corners and safeties back off the line. 6.8 per pass attempt(77th in nation) is not going to get it done. Only 6.4 against Houston. The Houston DB were sitting on the screen all day as evidence in the first pick. Screens and runs up the middle are not going to do it against teams with a even half way decent defense . Much less a top defense. We do not have 4 and 5 star Hosses up front to blast open teh holes.
10-15-2014 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-15-2014 10:21 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  I agree about Elliot, he has struggled this year although some of those misses were from way out. The one he missed Saturday was from about 46 I think, and he needs to be able to hit that. Anything over 50 is a bonus. But this was the first game this year where we really needed the field goal, as it would have made a huge difference in the last 7 minutes of that game if all we needed was a FG to win.

Agree about the receivers. The drop by Malone, the fumble by Jones and a catch that I think Jones should have made in the 3rd quarter down the sideline. It would have been a tough catch but Lynch put the ball right there and you have to make that catch if you want to be a playmaker.

Craft isn't a tailback, we just caught Cincy by surprise so I doubt he hits those numbers again unless some of our future opponents are just awful stopping the run. I'd like to see more of Cooper in those short down situations, think he could move the pile.

And Lynch is having a good year, Houston had his number, they had scouted very well and tricked him into a couple of bad reads. He still made a lot of good throws and I think maybe they asked him to run a bit too much the other night. I realize most of those are on the option read, but I'm pretty sure some were called draw plays.

If we can stop the turnovers there isn't anything to hold us back, I like this team.

The defenders were doing the Waltz with the receivers on the screen pass that got picked off. They are not tricking him into making bad passes. He is so locked on the receiver that he is planning on throwing it to that he does not look at the rest of the field.
10-15-2014 12:26 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(10-15-2014 12:26 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(10-15-2014 10:21 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  I agree about Elliot, he has struggled this year although some of those misses were from way out. The one he missed Saturday was from about 46 I think, and he needs to be able to hit that. Anything over 50 is a bonus. But this was the first game this year where we really needed the field goal, as it would have made a huge difference in the last 7 minutes of that game if all we needed was a FG to win.

The defenders were doing the Waltz with the receivers on the screen pass that got picked off. They are not tricking him into making bad passes. He is so locked on the receiver that he is planning on throwing it to that he does not look at the rest of the field.

This
10-15-2014 01:54 PM
FruitJar Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Da Tigahs
(10-15-2014 12:26 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

I heard some folks in my section Sat. hollering, "Wiiiiiind it up, one read."

Wasn't sure what that meant, but your analysis puts it all in perspective.
10-15-2014 02:05 PM
Advertisement

mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(10-15-2014 08:47 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  I'm thinking the big boa gets some more reps this week in practice

I hope so. The fumble against Austin Peay didn't help his chances.
More likely though is his hamstring injury that came at a bad time during practices. It hurt his development in pass protection. The staff seems worried that he'll get beat on blitz pick up. I say give him the ball and let him be Earl Campbell. If we need to pass, sub him out.
10-18-2014 10:15 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

Who won?
10-18-2014 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.