WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Musings
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Musings
I try not to put too much stock into one game as an indicator of anything and I realize that BSU might become the bottom of the west division this season. They're not a bad team.

With that said, a few thoughts on today.

- Ironic that the unit I was most concerned about ultimately won the game, both by limiting BSU to 7 in the second half and by the last stand that decided the final score and winner. I don’t know if that was because of schemes or motivation or what but the defense seemed to be playing their butts off in the second half.

-They held Ball State to 3.7 per rush today and 145 net yards rushing. We rushed for 208. Edwards had 26 runs for 77 yards and a TD, Banks rushed for 41 in 6 carries. Their longest run was 27 yards by Banks. When push came to shove, Ash knocked down the 3rd down pass attempt at the end. Defense came up big, even though they had only one sack today.

Our defense forced BSU to punt on five of the last seven possessions. The fourth posession was a TD and the last ended on downs with the imcomplete pass which sealed the win.

- We knew that our offense would score on Ball State but it is becoming clear that aside from our QB we have four legitimate weapons and finding creative ways to get them the ball in space makes this offense explosive and dangerous, at least against MAC defemses. Phillips is coming into his own as a big play guy to go along with Davis, Franklin and Braverman. Think if that 74 yard return had not been called back.

- All purpose yards: Phillips 174, Franklin 161, Davis 154, Braverman 100. Nuf said.

- Total offense: Broncos outgained them 498 - 471 while running 24 fewer plays. We had numerous explosive plays of 20+ yards today. A beautiful thing to watch. Too bad I couldn’t watch today. But listening was OK since we haven’t had such an improbable comeback in ages.

- BSU fans can’t be happy on homecoming with their kicker. He was 1 for 5 today on FG. Haldeman, on the other hand, was perfect today on xp but 0 for 3 on FG. Our special teams remain both special at times and a major problem.

I’m seeing progress. Who knows, maybe I'll warm up to Fleck. In many ways, I'm seeing some good calls from the staff, compared with last season.

Another good recruiting class and this team and program will be contenders. Heck, even this year they’re still contenders. CMU beating NIU keeps both us and CMU in the hunt for the West Division title. Crazy, huh? This team has already shown they can stay with Toledo. I'm not so sure that we're that far behind NIU, to be honest.

The good: see above/ the amazing comeback

The bad: Horrible first half. Uncreative play calling, poor execution, flat play.

The ugly: Terrell throwing the pick at less than two minutes left in the half and us down 10. BSU scores to end the half.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 02:40 AM by MileHighBronco.)
10-12-2014 02:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
RE: Musings
I think I am happy with the resiliency that shows week in and week out. Good teams have that. Now they also win turnover battles, get off the field on third downs, etc...and Western has a ways to go in some departments, but there is no reason not to be encouraged for the future of WMU football if they can continue to recruit, work hard in the off-season, and have talented players battling for playing time.
10-12-2014 03:20 AM
ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

I Root For: Row The Boat
(10-12-2014 02:36 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  - BSU fans can’t be happy on homecoming with their kicker. He was 1 for 5 today on FG. Haldeman, on the other hand, was perfect today on xp but 0 for 3 on FG. Our special teams remain both special at times and a major problem.

Their kicker was 1 for 1 on FG and Haldeman didn't attempt any yesterday. If he missed 3 more yesterday, I'd be all for us shutting down the FG unit for the rest of the season.
10-12-2014 06:54 AM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2014 02:36 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  - BSU fans can’t be happy on homecoming with their kicker. He was 1 for 5 today on FG. Haldeman, on the other hand, was perfect today on xp but 0 for 3 on FG. Our special teams remain both special at times and a major problem.

I was right there with you until the above nugget threw me off.

Secor was 1/1 on FG's and 5/5 on PAT's
Haldeman was 0/0 on FG's and 6/6 on PAT's

Still a great post though and couldn't agree more with the rest of your analysis.

edit: didn't realize Chuck caught it too.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 07:09 AM by Hoekjeness.)
10-12-2014 07:08 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I actually got that from the pdf version of the box score on the Broncos website. I didn't believe it, didn't remember it - thought I must not have been paying attention. But there it is.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/pdf9/2901929.pdf

Quote:Red-Zone Scores-Chances 3-3 4-5
T o u c h d o w n s 3-3 3-5
Field goals 0-3 1-5

I also missed that CMU's win keeps EMU in the race at 1 - 1 also.

I didn't mean to spread false info but I figured that the box score must be correct.
10-12-2014 10:38 AM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
MH. Vanilla play calling in the first half is probably by design.

Their goal is to establish the run, and every opponent sits on it. That's fine until you fall behind early. Cubits goal was just the opposite.....establish the pass to open up the run later.

The key is to not let teams rip off ten points early, which blows up the game plan. Until special teams can limit returns and short field starts, we're going to be playing catch up......with everybody.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 11:41 AM by Chipdip2.)
10-12-2014 11:39 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2014 10:38 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I actually got that from the pdf version of the box score on the Broncos website. I didn't believe it, didn't remember it - thought I must not have been paying attention. But there it is.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/pdf9/2901929.pdf

Quote:Red-Zone Scores-Chances 3-3 4-5
T o u c h d o w n s 3-3 3-5
Field goals 0-3 1-5

We need to teach you how to read a box score.

That means out of the 3 redzone chances, WMU converted 3 touchdowns in three attempts (3-3)... which would of course mean that there were no field goals even attempted (0 out of 3 attempts).

For Ball State, they had 5 redzone chances, and scored 3 touchdowns, 1 field goal, and came away empty the other remaining time.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 12:28 PM by Hoekjeness.)
10-12-2014 12:24 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Wow, you are exchanging pleasantries with everyone these days!
10-12-2014 12:51 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:BSU fans can’t be happy on homecoming with their kicker. He was 1 for 5 today on FG. Haldeman, on the other hand, was perfect today on xp but 0 for 3 on FG. Our special teams remain both special at times and a major problem.

WMU didn't even attempt a FG. BSU was 1/1 on FGs. We averaged 44 yds/punt, they averaged 50 yds/punt. I would say special teams kicking was done just fine for both teams.

Now, our kick coverage? We averaged 24 yds, they averaged 29. I like holding teams back to around the 25, not the 30. But hey, compared to other games on our SP, I'll take it.
10-12-2014 03:55 PM
Advertisement

broncojohnny Offline
1st String

Some of our critics should keep in mind that our improvement is happening with only 70 full ride players. We are STILL short 15 rides to get to 85...
Anyone know how seniors are starting this year????
I loved every minute of this, mainly because these young men will not quit.. I saw great resolve in the second half of this game...
Go Bronco's
10-12-2014 07:03 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2014 07:03 PM)broncojohnny Wrote:  Some of our critics should keep in mind that our improvement is happening with only 70 full ride players. We are STILL short 15 rides to get to 85...

Easily forgotten. Great point.
10-12-2014 07:24 PM
MRBUTTONS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W.M.U.
(10-12-2014 06:54 AM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  

Their kicker was 1 for 1 on FG and Haldeman didn't attempt any yesterday. If he missed 3 more yesterday, I'd be all for us shutting down the FG unit for the rest of the season.

04-cheers Thanks for confirming that you watched the same game I did yesterday. I couldn't recall any field goal attempts let alone 3 misses.
10-12-2014 07:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.