Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

APP, NOT saying this will happen but...
Bookmark and Share
fencereagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSo
APP, NOT saying this will happen but...
Please let me preface this by saying that I DON'T think this will happen and certainly hope it doesn't. But...

IF Satterfield doesn't get the ship righted and your FB team winning again, how long do you think your school will give him before he's let go given his past success and history with the school?

We just dealt with a very similar situation with our former BB coach Charlton Young. He was a very successful player while at GS but just not a successful coach.

And, it appears Troy is going to be dealing with the same issue at the end of the FB season.
09-26-2014 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ASUMountaineer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian
RE: APP, NOT saying this will happen but...
At least through his contract. Not sure about our DC Woody, though.
09-26-2014 01:00 PM
southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

(09-26-2014 12:30 PM)fencereagle Wrote:  Please let me preface this by saying that I DON'T think this will happen and certainly hope it doesn't. But...

IF Satterfield doesn't get the ship righted and your FB team winning again, how long do you think your school will give him before he's let go given his past success and history with the school?

We just dealt with a very similar situation with our former BB coach Charlton Young. He was a very successful player while at GS but just not a successful coach.

And, it appears Troy is going to be dealing with the same issue at the end of the FB season.

Personally, as long as i'm seeing progress, i'm willing to give him his 4 years. I have seen progress so far this season from last, believe it or not. As long as that continues, i'm willing to let the man complete his contract, and go from there. This team is young and it's Satts first HC job. I think most of us understood the challenges this year would present. If we are not running on all cylinders next year, the natives will start to become restless.
09-26-2014 01:16 PM
Saint3333 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Four years, anything less isn't fair to him.

By year's end we'll see improvement, this knee jerk talk after a loss is typical in this day and age though.
09-26-2014 02:34 PM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

Coach Satt should have at least 3 years, actually 4 unless year 3 is a complete disaster. He has to have the chance for some of his own recruits to mature on the field. Even though he was at App before moving up I consider the earlier recruiting classes Jerry Moore's. I guess there is a real learning curve to being a head coach as well....some figure it out and some don't. Hopefully he does before the program digresses too far and for too long.
09-26-2014 02:37 PM
sixtoes9134 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-26-2014 12:30 PM)fencereagle Wrote:  Please let me preface this by saying that I DON'T think this will happen and certainly hope it doesn't. But...

We have 73 freshmen and sophomores on the roster
09-26-2014 02:44 PM
Advertisement

ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
I was going to bring something like this up, but from an opposite perspective.

How long before a P5 school lures Fritz away if ya'll keep winning?

As for Satterfield, I fully believe if our team looks good down the stretch his job is safe. If they look anything like they do now next season his seat will heat up, if we win less than 4 games next year, put a fork in him. There is too much pride in this program to see what the local kid has for a fourth year. App Nation will only tolerate "we are a young football team" from Satterfield's mouth one more year. At some point you aren't a "young football team".
09-26-2014 03:29 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(09-26-2014 02:37 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  Coach Satt should have at least 3 years, actually 4 unless year 3 is a complete disaster. He has to have the chance for some of his own recruits to mature on the field. Even though he was at App before moving up I consider the earlier recruiting classes Jerry Moore's. I guess there is a real learning curve to being a head coach as well....some figure it out and some don't. Hopefully he does before the program digresses too far and for too long.

Coach Monken was still figuring out how to be a head coach the day he left Southern. He did very well (Jaybo may have bailed him out a little), but he was still putting it all together. Needless to say, it takes time to put it all together and Satterfield should get his four seasons before a decision is made.
09-26-2014 04:15 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

(09-26-2014 03:29 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  I was going to bring something like this up, but from an opposite perspective.

As for Satterfield, I fully believe if our team looks good down the stretch his job is safe. If they look anything like they do now next season his seat will heat up, if we win less than 4 games next year, put a fork in him. There is too much pride in this program to see what the local kid has for a fourth year. App Nation will only tolerate "we are a young football team" from Satterfield's mouth one more year. At some point you aren't a "young football team".

Depends on which team comes calling. If one of the many FBS teams in Texas comes calling and gives him seven digits he could be gone as soon as after the 2015 season.
09-26-2014 04:18 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Satterfield got a 4 year extension today. Not going anywhere.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ap...1fbd0.html

There is a thread about this posted at 8 PM.
09-26-2014 08:24 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think App is a better team today than I did yesterday. If they correct some fundamental things, like penalties, I think they will win their fair share this year.
09-26-2014 08:44 PM
Advertisement

AppAttack Offline
2nd String

Maybe I'm naïve, but I still think we have the ability to win 5 games. I don't think we're as bad as we've shown thus far. We have a lot to clean up, but there's still time. Must perform well at home against USA and go from there.
09-26-2014 09:01 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2014 03:29 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  I was going to bring something like this up, but from an opposite perspective.

Thirty six true & RS freshmen and 20 sophomores on a 80 man roster is pretty young. Next season we will be at 85 grants and the balance will be closer to 50/50, but a majority of the team will still be underclassmen. Losing 40% of the 2010 & 2011 classes and one third of the 2012 class to attrition destroyed our depth.
09-27-2014 07:30 AM
ASUMountaineer Offline
Special Teams

(09-26-2014 08:24 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Satterfield got a 4 year extension today. Not going anywhere.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ap...1fbd0.html

There is a thread about this posted at 8 PM.

Just to clarify in case someone reads this thread and not the other, Satterfield was not given an extension.
09-29-2014 12:14 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
A coach needs a full round (4 years) to recruit and install and build his team...We had to endure the Mark Snyder years, but as recently as 2012, people were calling for Doc's head...It's ridiculous...

I can understand if a coach is let go due to an epic disaster, but give the guy time....
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 03:17 PM by THUNDERStruck73.)
09-29-2014 03:16 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(09-29-2014 03:16 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  A coach needs a full round (4 years) to recruit and install and build his team...We had to endure the Mark Snyder years, but as recently as 2012, people were calling for Doc's head...It's ridiculous...

I can understand if a coach is let go due to an epic disaster, but give the guy time....
Pretty sure he will get at least the four years his original contract called for. The newspaper articles indicated he got a contract extension along with our baseball coach, but Satterfield's change was to increase his salary in line with the mid Sun Belt coaches.
09-29-2014 04:23 PM
Advertisement

SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

(09-26-2014 04:18 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  

Depends on which team comes calling. If one of the many FBS teams in Texas comes calling and gives him seven digits he could be gone as soon as after the 2015 season.

Kansas might be on the phone with Fritz right now!!
09-30-2014 02:40 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

(09-30-2014 02:40 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  
(09-26-2014 04:18 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  

Kansas might be on the phone with Fritz right now!!

I think whoever would be interested would wait to see how this season finished for him. Way too early to think he is already on the way out.
09-30-2014 02:46 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Bottom line is that I had rather have a coach who others may want. If we have to hire a new coach at some point it is important to make good hires.
09-30-2014 07:54 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

Fritz isn't going anywhere for atleast 2 more years, resume just isn't complete for him to leave for a larger program. As far as Satterfield, look at it from another perspective, he is a graduate of App, is wife is a graduate of App, they wanted to raise the kids closer to family, both set grandparents live in NC, Satterfield makes no bones that he loves coaching at App, and living in Boone, its got everything he wants professionally, and for his family its a great place to raise his kids. If he gets the program turned around, starts winning, and proves he is a very good coach, its likely going to take a big time P5 program to lure him away from Boone, he probably will not leave for any mid major school. This could be a huge advantage for App, if he proves to be a great coach, he probably will stay a lot longer than normal, and provide stability for the program.
09-30-2014 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.