WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lawyers, please set the Slappies straight. It's a felony, not a misdemeanor
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Lawyers, please set the Slappies straight. It's a felony, not a misdemeanor
Well, as expected the slappies are in a tizzy over my master plan to out Rawls as a convicted felon awaiting sentencing.................which, is exactly what he is.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=340&f=2793&t=13184290

As usual I'm living rent free in their peanut heads.

That said, their latest bamboozle is to excuse Pick Pockets Rawls by saying he only committed a misdemeanor. Knowing that most of these mouth breathers are chugging along on a sub 90 IQ, perhaps one of the attorneys here could set the record straight in some sort of dumbed down fashion that even a Slappy could understand.
09-24-2014 10:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
RE: Lawyers, please set the Slappies straight. It's a felony, not a misdemeanor
Oh, it's ONLY a misdemeanor now. That's totally okay. A 5th year senior goes up to the town where he's about to attend college, steals an old lady's purse, decides not to tell the coaching staff about his trouble with the law, then says he's sorry after everyone finds out about it. Truly a model for CMU's football program and university. This guy is a freakin FIFTH YEAR SENIOR. He's supposed to be a leader and role model for the younger guys.

And now that he is still awaiting legal proceedings, he has been officially pardoned by Coach Enos and administration. Enos is floundering. He knows his seat is on fire, and he's banking on Rawls to be that bucket of water. It's so transparent. Pathetic, really.
09-24-2014 10:48 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

You sound really hot about this. Perhaps you should vent your frustrations to.........

Julie Kachner- Administrative assistant to the MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbach
JKachner@mac-sports.com

Ken Mather- In charge of media and public relations for the MAC
KMather@mac-sports.com

Frank Corsoe- Sports editor Toledo Blade
fcorsoe@theblade.com

Michael Obrien- Assistant Athletic Director University of Toledo
Michael.obrien6@utoledo.edu
09-24-2014 10:59 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I sent this email out today and have already received two interesting responses........... 03-shhhh

Quote:I have been a MAC fan for many years and take great pride that the MAC remains a legit "student athlete" conference. However, the Thomas Rawls reinstatement at Central Michigan is very troubling to me.

If you're not familiar with this I'll fill in the details. Rawls is a 5th year transfer from the University of Michigan. He played in two games with CMU and performed very well. Before the 3rd game it was disclosed that Thomas had stole a purse from a 62 year old lady. He used a credit card twice, and was charged with three felonies. Last week he plea bargained down to one count of felony larceny. He will be sentenced October 21st and faces up to 4 years in prison.

The day after that verdict Central Michigan reinstated him, and he can play against Toledo on Saturday.

In light of the recent issues with Ray Rice and Jamison Winston, does the Mid American Conference really want to go down this road and face the PR nightmare that Roger Godell is facing? Rest assured every televised CMU game will begin with the discussion of Thomas Rawls being able to play. With Twitter, Facebook, etc. these things can take on a life of their own.

Might it be better if the league sets some standards regarding letting felons on the field. Hate to see the MAC's reputation sullied by one selfish player.
2014 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 11:19 PM by Chipdip2.)
09-24-2014 11:17 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
It's basically both.

"High court" = felony (court where felonies are processed & handled, etc)
"Misdemeanor" = misdemeanor

On his record it will say Felony. But it's also technically a misdemeanor, according to some MI law sites -- because since it's also a misdemeanor due to apparently conflicting laws set -- you can't serve the 2 years in reality, as a misdemeanor has 1 year max -- you can only do a max of 1 year -- but you CAN be sentenced to 1.5 or 2 -- they are forced to release you once your 1 year is up if you were sentenced to over 12 months. :)

Odd legal system. So it's kind of both.

But on his record it will say 'Felony'. But he's not lying if he says he had a misdemeanor.

I guess it's a "Tranny" -- but pretty much a dude. With some boobs. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 11:55 PM by toddjnsn.)
09-24-2014 11:54 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
An attempted larceny from a building is a felony. It ispunishable by more than a year. That's a felony. There are some two year offenses which, probably because some congressmans son was charged with one many years ago, our legislative body decided to somewhere in the statue described that crime as a "high court misdemeanor ". It's like polishing a turd. It's pure form, because substantively it's a felony. But btw, I don't believe attempted larceny from a building is one of those offenses. It's just a regular two year felony..
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 05:31 AM by brovol.)
09-25-2014 05:29 AM
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(09-24-2014 11:17 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I sent this email out today and have already received two interesting responses........... 03-shhhh

Quote:I have been a MAC fan for many years and take great pride that the MAC remains a legit "student athlete" conference. However, the Thomas Rawls reinstatement at Central Michigan is very troubling to me.

If you're not familiar with this I'll fill in the details. Rawls is a 5th year transfer from the University of Michigan. He played in two games with CMU and performed very well. Before the 3rd game it was disclosed that Thomas had stole a purse from a 62 year old lady. He used a credit card twice, and was charged with three felonies. Last week he plea bargained down to one count of felony larceny. He will be sentenced October 21st and faces up to 4 years in prison.

The day after that verdict Central Michigan reinstated him, and he can play against Toledo on Saturday.

In light of the recent issues with Ray Rice and Jamison Winston, does the Mid American Conference really want to go down this road and face the PR nightmare that Roger Godell is facing? Rest assured every televised CMU game will begin with the discussion of Thomas Rawls being able to play. With Twitter, Facebook, etc. these things can take on a life of their own.

Might it be better if the league sets some standards regarding letting felons on the field. Hate to see the MAC's reputation sullied by one selfish player.
2014 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)

What were the responses?
09-25-2014 08:18 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

To the effect, "We are well aware of this and are considering how to address it."

I'm assuming they mean address it if it comes up in the media. Frankly, I was just surprised they got back to me.
09-25-2014 08:22 AM
thegeneral Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU, OU
Reading the CI thread is awesome. That's my favorite part of your whole crusade.
09-25-2014 08:23 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-25-2014 08:23 AM)thegeneral Wrote:  Reading the CI thread is awesome. That's my favorite part of your whole crusade.

You underestimate how easily this could blow up. Simply drop a few emails and twitters. Panic will set in. These people have already got away with murder. For the good of league and the law abiding citizens of Isabella County this program's lame standards of behavior must be brought to light in order to end what is clearly a Culture of Crime and Corruption.

Julie Kachner- Administrative assistant to the MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbach
JKachner@mac-sports.com

Ken Mather- In charge of media and public relations for the MAC
KMather@mac-sports.com

Frank Corsoe- Sports editor Toledo Blade
fcorsoe@theblade.com

Michael Obrien- Assistant Athletic Director University of Toledo
Michael.obrien6@utoledo.edu

Mary Flanagan, Executive Assistant to the President of CMU
flana1mj@cmich.edu

Tweet Dave Heeke
https://twitter.com/Dave_Heeke
09-25-2014 08:49 AM
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
(09-25-2014 05:29 AM)brovol Wrote:  An attempted larceny from a building is a felony. It ispunishable by more than a year. That's a felony. There are some two year offenses which, probably because some congressmans son was charged with one many years ago, our legislative body decided to somewhere in the statue described that crime as a "high court misdemeanor ". It's like polishing a turd. It's pure form, because substantively it's a felony. But btw, I don't believe attempted larceny from a building is one of those offenses. It's just a regular two year felony..

Polishing the turd is the legal term.

It is a felony with a slight loophole...but for all practical purposes it is a felony. Practical purposes don't include CMU.

I HONESTLY CAN STATE THAT IF THIS ISSUE WAS AT WMU, I WOULD NOT WANT HIM TO BE PART OF THE PROGRAM.

It is telling of CMU culture that no one cares.
09-25-2014 02:06 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-25-2014 02:06 PM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  
(09-25-2014 05:29 AM)brovol Wrote:  An attempted larceny from a building is a felony. It ispunishable by more than a year. That's a felony. There are some two year offenses which, probably because some congressmans son was charged with one many years ago, our legislative body decided to somewhere in the statue described that crime as a "high court misdemeanor ". It's like polishing a turd. It's pure form, because substantively it's a felony. But btw, I don't believe attempted larceny from a building is one of those offenses. It's just a regular two year felony..

Polishing the turd is the legal term.

It is a felony with a slight loophole...but for all practical purposes it is a felony. Practical purposes don't include CMU.

I HONESTLY CAN STATE THAT IF THIS ISSUE WAS AT WMU, I WOULD NOT WANT HIM TO BE PART OF THE PROGRAM.

It is telling of CMU culture that no one cares.

These things are all relative.

Seven football players kicked a bar patron to death, kept quiet and didn't snitch.

Seemed devious and cowardly to me. Others saw it as being loyal and showing team work.
09-25-2014 03:19 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

It is a misdemeanor. And yes, it also fits the mold as a felony (any criminal charge over 1 year), as well. It's a "tranny". And "Felony" is on his record. But it's also a misdemeanor. LOL.

But here's two things to consider, playing Devil's (CMU) Advocate in an Honest way to put things in perspective:

(a) He was not a CMU student (yet) when this incident occurred. It happened in April (although he was transferrING to CMU from UM). Why it took them until September to Charge him, I'll admit, is odd -- as it took them a while to investigate and give testimony, etc amongst multiple people about it. Maybe not super-clean-cut case in "who did what exactly" when it came to him and his friends.

(b) He's part of THIS: "Holmes Youthful Trainee Act - State law allows a judge to place a youth between 17 and 20 who is alleged to have committed a crime and who has pleaded guilty to that crime to be placed in prison or on probation without a conviction to avoid a criminal record. ... This action protects the privacy of the offender while on trainee status. If the youth successfully completes the program, there is no criminal record. Imprisonment or probation cannot exceed three years."

As pointed out by CMU Fan in other board: "At sentencing, per agreement with the prosecutor, defense attorney, and the judge, if Mr. Rawls completes the "temporary probation" (similar to a "delayed sentence" in District Court), the misdemeanor charge will be erased from all court records. However, unless his attorney requests the actual "arrest" record removed as well, the charges will remain with the tribal police (and I don't see the defense counsel failing in that regard either)."

-----

Now, with all that said, I'm not being Rawls' buddy. It's a Felony by definition, but also misdemeanor by name and it's Title -- and how it affects a few minor things (1 year max in county jail where one would go for a high-court misdemeanor, as opposed to an true-blue Felony).

I think the real question is: How does this John Holmes Act (03-wink) affect his Present record? Sounds like he is STILL guilty, but it delays Sentencing. I would imagine kind of like getting a minor infraction of something like a noise violation -- but going off, doing 10-20 hours of community service by a certain due date -- so you pay no fine and it gets expunged. But obviously a bigger deal being dealt with.

IMO, it's enough to make it possibly "ok" to allow him on the team, from a legal standpoint, I guess.

HOWEVER, a team should have their own rules about stuff.

Ray Rice was Understandably Not Charged, because it'd take his fiance/wife to do that. However, the NFL was right to kick him out. So by that rationale, yes, Rawls, IMO, should be suspended for a year, or possibly until that charge has been expunged.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 03:49 PM by toddjnsn.)
09-25-2014 03:43 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

^ Todd, your going to have to dumb this down if you expect the Slappies to understand what you're saying.
09-25-2014 03:53 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Are we sure he is a Holmes Youthful Offender? I keep seeing 5th year senior. That would make him more in the 22-23 year old range, yes?
09-25-2014 04:19 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Are we sure he is a Holmes Youthful Offender? I keep seeing 5th year senior. That would make him more in the 22-23 year old range, yes?

http://www.cm-life.com/article/2014/09/rawls-pleadeal
Quote:This is a pretty standard operating procedure for a first-time offender.”Rawls, now 21, was 20 years old at the time of the crime.

Duthie said he would contemplate the possibility of placing Rawls in the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act program, should he cooperate with court directives.

State law allows a judge to place a youth between 17 and 20 who is alleged to have committed a crime and who has pleaded guilty to that crime to avoid a criminal record.

This happened when he was 20, in April. For the 2011 season at UofM, he was a Freshman.
09-25-2014 05:11 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

However, this DOES go against Rawls and against Enos:

Quote:A warrant was issued for Rawls’ arrest on May 16. He officially joined the CMU football team on July 2.

Heeke said the department was unaware of the warrant issued for Rawls’ arrest before Sept. 5. “Coach Enos and I are in constant communication about disciplinary measures,” Heeke said. “We makes the best decisions possible based upon the information that is provided to us.”

True. Same with WMU. Even with a LESS serious offense of the two players (not even LEAVING the store with a grocery cart of stuff) -- they weren't let back on. Way less a prob than stealing a purse.

So everyone does have a right to complain about Enos -- but then again, it could be CMU itself telling Enos to keep him, I dunno.
09-25-2014 05:13 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

OK.
So 2011 Freshman
2012 Soph
2013 Junior
2014 Graduate Student? OK is this where the 43 hours of UM credit in 3 months comes in? And he is studying at UM and doing 3 felonies at CMU during the same period? So confusing to the average fan. Can't make this stuff up.

Very interesting story. Sounds like a 60 minutes candidate to me. Youthful Offender U?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 06:28 PM by Dirty Ernie.)
09-25-2014 06:26 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-25-2014 04:19 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  Are we sure he is a Holmes Youthful Offender? I keep seeing 5th year senior. That would make him more in the 22-23 year old range, yes?

Yes, for an average student it would take that long to get through school, but Rawls went to that bastion of academic excellence Flint Northern. He, unlike the average student graduated in three years. Not only that but according to his mom he cranked out 43 credit hours in only three month at a prestigious university.

My dopy son went to that same university and was lucky if he could knock out 17 credit hours in three months, let alone the 43 that Thomas knocked out.

Seriously, everything about this kid smells.
09-25-2014 09:31 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(09-25-2014 09:31 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(09-25-2014 04:19 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  Are we sure he is a Holmes Youthful Offender? I keep seeing 5th year senior. That would make him more in the 22-23 year old range, yes?

Yes, for an average student it would take that long to get through school, but Rawls went to that bastion of academic excellence Flint Northern. He, unlike the average student graduated in three years. Not only that but according to his mom he cranked out 43 credit hours in only three month at a prestigious university.

My dopy son went to that same university and was lucky if he could knock out 17 credit hours in three months, let alone the 43 that Thomas knocked out.

Seriously, everything about this kid smells.

You'd think Good Will Hunting here would be able to make enough playing blackjack that he wouldn't have to steal a purse.

Wait, how old do you have to be to get into Soaring Eagle?
09-26-2014 06:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.