Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big East/SEC challenge update...
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Big East/SEC challenge update...
Found this on a WVU board...I think the article is a few weeks old...really hope this even takes off where most teams in each league can participate

Jackson

Nashville vying to host SEC-Big East hoops
11/28/06
By BRYAN MULLEN
Staff Writer

From league championship games to the selling of official athletic merchandise, college athletic conferences always are keeping an eye on one another when it comes to new ideas about making money.

And the mighty Southeastern Conference is no different.

Consider the league's announcement last month at the SEC basketball media days in Birmingham, Ala., where Commissioner Mike Slive unveiled his conference's agreement with the Big East for a preseason men's basketball event starting next season.

It's been a moneymaker for two other conferences for years. The ACC/Big Ten Challenge has become ultra-popular, and it gives fans and analysts a good primer for what to expect from the two conferences throughout the season.

The SEC/Big East event doesn't have an official name yet, although garnering a title sponsor shouldn't be a problem. But even if that doesn't happen, ESPN has agreed to broadcast the event for the length of the contract between the SEC and Big East, which is three years.

The financial impact also could impact Nashville. Nashville Sports Council Executive Director Scott Ramsey confirmed to The Tennessean that his organization is in discussions with conference officials about Nashville serving as a host city.

The event will feature four teams from both conferences each season. There will be two doubleheaders, with one of the doubleheaders taking place in an SEC region and the other in a Big East region.

Other cities reportedly in discussions to host the event in the SEC region are Memphis, Atlanta, Tampa and New Orleans.
12-11-2006 07:24 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

Cincinnati should be loaded next year, unfortunately we probably won't get a crack at Kentucky in that event.
12-11-2006 07:26 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

CatsClaw Wrote:Cincinnati should be loaded next year, unfortunately we probably won't get a crack at Kentucky in that event.

Probably Ole Miss and Auburn for you guys.
12-11-2006 08:48 PM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

fsquid Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:Cincinnati should be loaded next year, unfortunately we probably won't get a crack at Kentucky in that event.

Probably Ole Miss and Auburn for you guys.

howdy squid.

what you up to these days?

think the cats got a shot at your tigers this year?
12-11-2006 08:51 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Since it would be FOUE teams. You can probably expect from Big East it will be:
Syracuse, UConn,Louisville and either Pitt or Villanova. I wonder if BE will have to choose TWO football members and TWO non football ones?
12-11-2006 08:52 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

fsquid Wrote:Probably Ole Miss and Auburn for you guys.

It would be fun to play AK.
12-11-2006 09:02 PM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

a) Only four teams? I was hoping it'd be 12 v 12. This means some years your/my favorite teams will be left out. Bummer. But that would be better than having the same four powers going at it every year.

b) Format of double headers on neutral courts is a pretty cool idea. Clearly the SEC will love playing games in places like NYC, Philly, etc. BE will enjoy some show in ATL and Memphis. (Hey, maybe I could catch and Orange game in ATL! Sweet!)

c) Of course, this means Syracuse might actually play non-tournament related game outside of NY before January! 04-jawdrop Blasphemy!! ;-)
12-12-2006 09:31 AM
Advertisement

SideshowBob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Penn State

I think the format is kinda silly. Not the doubleheaders at non-campus sites -- that's fine -- but only 4 teams. Apparently, every SEC team will participate over the 3 years -- so it will be a different 4 each year. Presumably, 12 different BE teams will play over the 3 years. I kinda hope it's not just "power" teams the first year and that they spread out some of the name teams over the three years.

Still, better than not havinig it. Now we just need a Big 12/Pac-10 challenge, right?
12-12-2006 10:27 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

This thing is a made for TV event. I'd be shocked to see any more than 2 small market teams play in a given year.
12-12-2006 10:32 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

L-yes Wrote:This thing is a made for TV event. I'd be shocked to see any more than 2 small market teams play in a given year.

Apart from Providence and USF (which could be a stretch) I can't think of who that'd be in the BE. After all, that's supposed to be the appeal of the league, the depth of programs entrenched in major markets, right? But if you're implying that we won't see Cuse, UConn, Louisville and Pitt all in the same year then I think you're right.
12-12-2006 11:00 AM
Advertisement

PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

GunnerFan Wrote:a) Only four teams? I was hoping it'd be 12 v 12. This means some years your/my favorite teams will be left out. Bummer. But that would be better than having the same four powers going at it every year.

b) Format of double headers on neutral courts is a pretty cool idea. Clearly the SEC will love playing games in places like NYC, Philly, etc. BE will enjoy some show in ATL and Memphis. (Hey, maybe I could catch and Orange game in ATL! Sweet!)

c) Of course, this means Syracuse might actually play non-tournament related game outside of NY before January! 04-jawdrop Blasphemy!! ;-)

The Cuse will just play there games in New York City, coach B doesn't like leaving New York State ;-)
12-12-2006 11:03 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Coach Beilein said on his radio show that WVU "may" be going to the challenge next yr....didn't ellaborate on where or whom we were going to play or when the school will now for sure

Jackson
12-12-2006 11:17 AM
SideshowBob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Penn State

Jackson1011 Wrote:Coach Beilein said on his radio show that WVU "may" be going to the challenge next yr....didn't ellaborate on where or whom we were going to play or when the school will now for sure

I wouldn't be surprised if the participants are decided after this season, in order to get a better idea of how the programs will be perceived going into 2007-8.

I expect the first challenge will try to pair 2 name teams from each conference in 2 of the games (say, Florida and Kentucky against UConn and Syracuse) with one of the marquee games being at each site amd with the other 2 games being more "middle of the conference" type teams.
12-12-2006 11:27 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

SideshowBob Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:Coach Beilein said on his radio show that WVU "may" be going to the challenge next yr....didn't ellaborate on where or whom we were going to play or when the school will now for sure

I wouldn't be surprised if the participants are decided after this season, in order to get a better idea of how the programs will be perceived going into 2007-8.

I expect the first challenge will try to pair 2 name teams from each conference in 2 of the games (say, Florida and Kentucky against UConn and Syracuse) with one of the marquee games being at each site amd with the other 2 games being more "middle of the conference" type teams.

One other factor--look at who is hosting NCAA games later in March--thse Arenas might have an edge in getting the games.

That was a huge reason why Boeheim played Canisius in Buffalo this year. The same arena is hosting NCAA games in March. The other reasons: a game for Buffalo area Cuse fans, a homecoming game for Paul Harris and a chance for Boeheim to send a message to Univ Buffalo that the Cuse owns upstate NY.
12-12-2006 12:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

TexanMark Wrote:... and a chance for Boeheim to send a message to Univ Buffalo that the Cuse owns upstate NY.

"No. Seriously. Here's the receipt. The payments are a b**** but I think we got it at a steal." ;-)
12-12-2006 12:33 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

SideshowBob Wrote:I expect the first challenge will try to pair 2 name teams from each conference in 2 of the games (say, Florida and Kentucky against UConn and Syracuse) with one of the marquee games being at each site amd with the other 2 games being more "middle of the conference" type teams.

I bet you nailed it right there.
12-12-2006 01:27 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.