Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU & the AAC
Bluegoggles Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: BYU
BYU & the AAC
I know I speak for many Y fans because most BYU students are not from the state of Utah. I think its 60% of the student body is out of state. Granted a majority of out of state students are from western states, many are from the east like me. Im from Boston and I enjoyed attending the UCONN game. I've got tickets to the upcoming UCF game. So, I'd love for BYU to be apart of the AAC, especially to see some great bball match ups.
It's obvious a scheduling/bowl agreement of sorts is already in place, but I believe that's the extent of the relationship. I just don't see the AAC's ability to match ESPN's payment each year of about 7-10 million or the ability to nationally televise the games.
I read some here speculate that if BYU doesn't make a playoff or a NY6 bowl that would force BYU to the AAC. While I wouldn't mind if that happened, that scenario would have zero impact. Not only does BYU enjoy its ESPN affiliation, it strategically places itself independent to be free to move to a P5 conference at any time, without contract hang ups.
Additionally, I know its BYU's goal is to schedule a minimum of five P5 teams annually. This year BYU only has three, but last year BYU played seven P5 teams. BYU has virtually scheduled every PAC 12 team home/home, including yearly thanksgiving weekend matchups. I just don't see how the AAC could accommodate that.
Also, I think BYU bigwigs like the brand and idea of independence. I believe they feel independence creates a unique image for the school.
From a SOS perspective it's best if BYU schedules as many P5 teams as possible and then cherry picks from the best of the G5 schools (basically Boise State and the top AAC schools).
I have a ton of respect for the AAC. I just don't see any future marriage...unfortunately for me.
09-23-2014 12:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
RE: BYU & the AAC
It will be interesting if BYU goes 11-1 this year and gets left out of the big bowl picture even though it may be higher rated than any G5 team. That's the one carrot AAC membership can offer: access to the big bowl game.
09-23-2014 12:35 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(09-23-2014 12:27 AM)Bluegoggles Wrote:  I know I speak for many Y fans because most BYU students are not from the state of Utah. I think its 60% of the student body is out of state. Granted a majority of out of state students are from western states, many are from the east like me. Im from Boston and I enjoyed attending the UCONN game. I've got tickets to the upcoming UCF game. So, I'd love for BYU to be apart of the AAC, especially to see some great bball match ups.
It's obvious a scheduling/bowl agreement of sorts is already in place, but I believe that's the extent of the relationship. I just don't see the AAC's ability to match ESPN's payment each year of about 7-10 million or the ability to nationally televise the games.
I read some here speculate that if BYU doesn't make a playoff or a NY6 bowl that would force BYU to the AAC. While I wouldn't mind if that happened, that scenario would have zero impact. Not only does BYU enjoy its ESPN affiliation, it strategically places itself independent to be free to move to a P5 conference at any time, without contract hang ups.
Additionally, I know its BYU's goal is to schedule a minimum of five P5 teams annually. This year BYU only has three, but last year BYU played seven P5 teams. BYU has virtually scheduled every PAC 12 team home/home, including yearly thanksgiving weekend matchups. I just don't see how the AAC could accommodate that.
Also, I think BYU bigwigs like the brand and idea of independence. I believe they feel independence creates a unique image for the school.
From a SOS perspective it's best if BYU schedules as many P5 teams as possible and then cherry picks from the best of the G5 schools (basically Boise State and the top AAC schools).
I have a ton of respect for the AAC. I just don't see any future marriage...unfortunately for me.

[Image: 49428545.jpg]
09-23-2014 01:02 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(09-23-2014 01:02 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 12:27 AM)Bluegoggles Wrote:  I know I speak for many Y fans because most BYU students are not from the state of Utah. I think its 60% of the student body is out of state. Granted a majority of out of state students are from western states, many are from the east like me. Im from Boston and I enjoyed attending the UCONN game. I've got tickets to the upcoming UCF game. So, I'd love for BYU to be apart of the AAC, especially to see some great bball match ups.

shere, does he make a lot of these threads, or do you not like his opinion?
(09-13-2014 10:30 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(09-13-2014 10:28 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  That was what i wrote after week 1. Is this a fair statement or am i being too nice by saying "shaky". Is AAC off to an awful start more accurate? Thank God for my ECU Pirates, the class of the AAC.04-cheers

Cincy looks good too. Let's not pat our own backs too hard.
09-23-2014 01:13 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-23-2014 01:13 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  shere, does he make a lot of these threads, or do you not like his opinion?

Shere is saying that his opinion would have been better served alongside the others in one of the thousands of ongoing threads on this topic.... as opposed to a new, singular thread that just baits more repetitive opinions from the posters in those other threads. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 04:22 AM by BigEastHomer.)
09-23-2014 04:21 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
These BYU/AAC threads passed the point of diminishing returns a long time ago. The consensus is clear. BYU prefers a "P5" league to the American, and prefers the American to the Mountain. BYU is not going to join the American right now but may do so a few years down the line, depending mainly on whether:

(I.) BYU can get in the Big <XII in the meantime (seems unlikely for now but we'll see);
(II.) the American can offer BYU an equivalent revenue stream that it generates as an Independent with ESPN (not presently the case but check back);
(III.) an understanding can be reached that allows BYU to maximize its media-capability through BYU-TV.
09-23-2014 06:34 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(09-23-2014 12:27 AM)Bluegoggles Wrote:  ..... Not only does BYU enjoy its ESPN affiliation, it strategically places itself independent to be free to move to a P5 conference at any time, without contract hang ups.Additionally, I know its BYU's goal is to schedule a minimum of five P5 teams annually. This year BYU only has three, but last year BYU played seven P5 teams. BYU has virtually scheduled every PAC 12 team home/home, including yearly thanksgiving weekend matchups. I just don't see how the AAC could accommodate that.

Sorry but being Indy doesn't strategically give you more freedom to move to a P5.
1. You have a TV contract to be fullfilled or there needs to be arranged for early termination (with consequences for not honoring the full contract)
2. You have 12 games each year for the next few years to buy out or rearrange and that is costly and very time consuming.

Just ask Navy, it is why they had to wait 3 years to join the AAC instead of the next year.

Being in a conference you can move quicker to a P5 conference because you can mostly keep your OOC games going and just replace the G5 conference games with the P5 conference games.

As for your P5 games schedule, the number of the P5 teams isn't any different than when you were in the MW. You keep saying we had 7 P5 schools...well great, that was last year....your future schedule has 3 or 4 at the most....just like you were during you time in the MW.

As for the branding of Indy, I agree BYU may have something there. But, fans must not complain about settling for the Miami or Poinsettia bowl despite an undefeated or 1 loss season.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 10:20 AM by MWC Tex.)
09-23-2014 09:18 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
BYU wont get anywhere near 7 P5 schools in the future. They have increased conf games in some cases and set it up where they must play at least on p5 occ. There are less games available now then there were even this year.
09-23-2014 09:48 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(09-23-2014 09:48 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  BYU wont get anywhere near 7 P5 schools in the future. They have increased conf games in some cases and set it up where they must play at least on p5 occ. There are less games available now then there were even this year.

Most BYU fans have unrealistic expectations for independence and a warped sense of history and future prospects - to put it mildly.

BYU has never sniffed anywhere near 7 Autonomy 5 schools in a season. The most is 4 and the average is closer to 2 per season (not counting bowl games). The most on any future schedule is 5, but most upcoming seasons its 3 or 4.

IMO, BYU is about 2 games away from the perfect schedule. Its schedule should have 3-4 AAC, 3-4 MWC, 2-3 PAC 12, and then 1-2 other Autonomy 5 opponents and a C-USA, Sun Belt, or MAC opponent. Competitive games with 4 or 5 Autonomy 5 opponents, AAC, and MWC, but not too hard to allow a good football team to have a chance at 10+ wins - and an undefeated season if the stars align.

Even when BYU was consistently putting up 10+ wins, it was against WAC and MWC schedules. Granted, those WAC and MWC schedules included Utah and TCU (and Arizona and Arizona St. before the PAC-8 expansion)- but still; BYU wasn't beating the best teams in college football. And, it played TWO Autonomy 5 opponents per year, three in an overreaching year.

Here's a look at BYU's best four seasons in the last 30 years:

1984 national championship season (13-0)
Autonomy 5: beat Pitt (top-5) and Baylor
but then ran through the WAC schedule.
Beat Michigan (6-5) in the Holiday Bowl.

1996 season (14-1)
Autonomy 5: BYU beat Texas A&M and lost at Washington (who was top-10).
Cruised through the WAC schedule.
Cotton Bowl win over Kansas St.

2001 (12-1 regular season)
Autonomy 5: BYU beat California and Mississippi St. (both on the road).
Otherwise, it was full of MWC and WAC opponents.

2009 (11-2)
Autonomy 5: BYU beat Oklahoma at Cowboys stadium, but then lost big to (unranked) Florida St. at home.
Again, cruised through the MWC/WAC schedule until they met top-10 TCU (who spanked us).
Beat ranked Oregon St. in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Which is fine. But, BYU just isn't a top-10 college football program - and never will be. The little thing called the Honor Code will prevent that. But, BYU is legitimately a top-50 college football program and can have flashes where they spike to the top-10 or top-15.
09-23-2014 01:37 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
I dont think BYU gets 7 mill from ESPN...I think its more like 4 mill for football. The next TV contract for the American will be the telling factor.
09-23-2014 02:08 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(09-23-2014 01:37 PM)YNot Wrote:  BYU just isn't a top-10 college football program - and never will be. The little thing called the Honor Code will prevent that. But, BYU is legitimately a top-50 college football program and can have flashes where they spike to the top-10 or top-15.
BYU is not a top-10 program, but they are better than "top-50".

More like top-25 or top-35 IMHO.
09-23-2014 02:58 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(09-23-2014 01:13 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 01:02 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

shere, does he make a lot of these threads, or do you not like his opinion?
(09-13-2014 10:30 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(09-13-2014 10:28 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  That was what i wrote after week 1. Is this a fair statement or am i being too nice by saying "shaky". Is AAC off to an awful start more accurate? Thank God for my ECU Pirates, the class of the AAC.04-cheers

Cincy looks good too. Let's not pat our own backs too hard.

Shere Khan does not like any posts that does not support his agenda! 07-coffee3
09-23-2014 03:03 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

It would be really great, if the American could still pull off adding BYU, San Diego State, Boise State and Fresno State. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 03:08 PM by Wilkie01.)
09-23-2014 03:06 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
"Sources indicated that BYU "could reap between $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game -- considerably more" than the $1.3-1.5M the school "earned annually from the Mountain West's television arrangement." The deal will "vastly expand the potential audience for Cougar games ... but it also will help the Cougs fill their annual 12-game schedule by enlisting ESPN as a partner to help arrange matchups."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...Games.aspx
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 03:07 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
09-23-2014 03:07 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(09-23-2014 03:06 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  It would be really great, if the American could still pull off adding BYU, San Diego State, Boise State and Fresno State. 07-coffee3
Only way Boise gets in is if BYU makes that a condition for joining itself.

And even then it would require some intense and protracted negotiations. My honest guess is that it never happens.

On the other hand, BYU + SDSU + Any 2 of {UNLV, Fresno State, UNM, Colo. State, AFA} … now you're talking.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 03:33 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-23-2014 03:32 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

Good Post. I agree. BYU to the AAC is a pipe dream.
09-23-2014 03:48 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-23-2014 03:32 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 03:06 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  It would be really great, if the American could still pull off adding BYU, San Diego State, Boise State and Fresno State. 07-coffee3

And even then it would require some intense and protracted negotiations. My honest guess is that it never happens.

On the other hand, BYU + SDSU + Any 2 of {UNLV, Fresno State, UNM, Colo. State, AFA} … now you're talking.

I don't see byu pushing to get Boise. They had enough issues getting into the mwc years ago.
09-23-2014 04:24 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(09-23-2014 04:24 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

I don't see byu pushing to get Boise. They had enough issues getting into the mwc years ago.

BYU, San Diego State, Fresno State and Colordo State would be fine.04-cheers
09-23-2014 04:56 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(09-23-2014 04:56 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 04:24 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

BYU, San Diego State, Fresno State and Colordo State would be fine.04-cheers
BYU left the MWC.There were certainly good reasons for that.They are not going back.
09-23-2014 05:03 PM
mullinsworld Offline
REDEEMED

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
BYU & the AAC

BYU has as much chance as Memphis of making a Big5 conference. Who would take you? the PAC? They are full with no interest in BYU, don't need another Utah team. Boise would have more interest but very little for them. They would only expand into Texas.

Big12? They are more than likely cherry picked than any other conference. UT will jump to the Big10 or the Pac before taking BYU into the Big12 or do what they want as an independent. If that were to happen then I can see BYU and Boise joining a Big12 but it wouldn't be a Big5 conference if UT leaves.

None of the others would take you. The best thing you could do when ESPN sees theirs no gold at the end of the rainbow is for you and Boise to join the AAC.
09-23-2014 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.