Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This may be a tough week for the American...
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
This may be a tough week for the American...
Just browsed over the conference schedule...

SMU v TCU...maybe SMU can find themselves in a rivalry game.

Tulane v Rutgers...this Rutgers team doesn't look that bad.

USF v Wisconsin...USF coaches have to be having nightmares about stopping Wisconsin's running back...that guy belongs in the NFL...now.

Temple v UConn...well at least we're guaranteed of one conf team winning.

Memphis v Ole Miss...I hope Ole Miss is overrated, and I'm feeling this Memphis program. Hope it stays competitive.

Cincy v Ohio State...the key here is Cincy scoring every time they get the football. Because I don't think you can trust the defense. And no lead would be too big.

Tulsa v Texas State...hopefully the home field advantage will help Tulsa, but Texas State isn't too bad. Would be nice to see Tulsa atone for that debacle at FAU.

Possible 0-6 OOC this week for the conference...hopeful of 2-4...anything more would be a great week.
09-22-2014 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: This may be a tough week for the American...
I promise you that Coach Ruff will have the Pirates ready for BYE.
09-22-2014 12:31 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think 2-4 would be huge. Tulsa over Texas St and then one of Memphis/Ole Miss or Cincy/Ohio St.
09-22-2014 12:37 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

Tulane could beat Rutgers if they get out of their own way.

Memphis could shock Ole Miss.

Tulsa should beat TX State.

SMU doesn't stand a chance.

USF will likely get drubbed.

Cincy could beat OSU. They've been seriously underwhelming. (OSU, not Cincy)

Temple will beat UCONN.
09-22-2014 12:49 PM
Mitch Rapp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: T U L A N E
This is a joke right?

Tulane will beat Rutgers by at least 12
09-22-2014 01:02 PM
chrisRU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, NJIT
(09-22-2014 01:02 PM)Mitch Rapp Wrote:  This is a joke right?

Bet your house, then. Rutgers is favored by 11.5
09-22-2014 01:10 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
cincy or memphis wins and we still finish 1-5..GREAT WEEK!!!.....Both win and we go 2-4...the greatest AAC weekend ever... and the "power 6" push is back on

tulane upsets rutgers and the texas state upset by tulsa and we finish 2-4, honestly its still a good week..

even 1 win by anyone is a definitely a positive..losing all wont be the end of the world, we will still be consider the best G5, and will just enjoy our throne as the tallest midget
09-22-2014 01:19 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I don't know how to convey to you guys how big the UC/OSU game is in this neck of the woods. This is a much tougher hill to climb than UNC/ECU, UCF/Florida or Florida State, Memphis v. Tennessee, etc. . Sure OSU lost to Virginia Tech, but mark my words that Urban Meyer will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Bearcats. Urban played football and baseball at UC and is a third generation UC grad. His sister is a provost at UC. This game has been on his radar for a while now and he plans to try and prove a point that the state of Ohio belongs to OSU.

If this game will not be challenging enough, I just got word that the officials from the game will be from the B10 (read this means they are die-hard OSU fans). Despite on getting flagged a total of four times the first two weeks, I put the over/under on calls against UC for this game at 8.
09-22-2014 01:23 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane

Really, tell us more....?
09-22-2014 01:33 PM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
(09-22-2014 01:23 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I don't know how to convey to you guys how big the UC/OSU game is in this neck of the woods. This is a much tougher hill to climb than UNC/ECU, UCF/Florida or Florida State, Memphis v. Tennessee, etc. . Sure OSU lost to Virginia Tech, but mark my words that Urban Meyer will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Bearcats. Urban played football and baseball at UC and is a third generation UC grad. His sister is a provost at UC. This game has been on his radar for a while now and he plans to try and prove a point that the state of Ohio belongs to OSU.

If this game will not be challenging enough, I just got word that the officials from the game will be from the B10 (read this means they are die-hard OSU fans). Despite on getting flagged a total of four times the first two weeks, I put the over/under on calls against UC for this game at 8.

For the stats guys...the history of the series below. Not particularly encouraging. BUT...look closely at the 2002 game. That year, Cinci kept it real close to a 6th ranked tOSU team. This is a year when tOSU went undefeated, finished first and was National Champs beating Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

I think there is potential this year for an upset. Great quarterback. Lots of intensity and a down year for tOSU. I'll be rooting for Cinci.

Code:
<PRE>                                                                                            
G          Date Day     School    Opponent    Conf   Pts Opp Diff W L T Streak         Notes
1   Sep 25 1999 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L  20  34  -14 0 1 0    L 1              
2   Sep 21 2002 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L  19  23   -4 0 2 0    L 2 Cincinnati OH
3    Sep 4 2004 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L   6  27  -21 0 3 0    L 3              
4   Sep 16 2006 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L   7  37  -30 0 4 0    L 4              
5   Sep 27 2014 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten                0 4 0      1              
</PRE>
09-22-2014 02:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
(09-22-2014 01:33 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

Really, tell us more....?

Tulane is 2-1 @ Rutgers all-time ;-)
09-22-2014 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(09-22-2014 02:25 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  
(09-22-2014 01:23 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I don't know how to convey to you guys how big the UC/OSU game is in this neck of the woods. This is a much tougher hill to climb than UNC/ECU, UCF/Florida or Florida State, Memphis v. Tennessee, etc. . Sure OSU lost to Virginia Tech, but mark my words that Urban Meyer will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Bearcats. Urban played football and baseball at UC and is a third generation UC grad. His sister is a provost at UC. This game has been on his radar for a while now and he plans to try and prove a point that the state of Ohio belongs to OSU.

For the stats guys...the history of the series below. Not particularly encouraging. BUT...look closely at the 2002 game. That year, Cinci kept it real close to a 6th ranked tOSU team. This is a year when tOSU went undefeated, finished first and was National Champs beating Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

I think there is potential this year for an upset. Great quarterback. Lots of intensity and a down year for tOSU. I'll be rooting for Cinci.

Code:
<PRE>                                                                                            
G          Date Day     School    Opponent    Conf   Pts Opp Diff W L T Streak         Notes
1   Sep 25 1999 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L  20  34  -14 0 1 0    L 1              
2   Sep 21 2002 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L  19  23   -4 0 2 0    L 2 Cincinnati OH
3    Sep 4 2004 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L   6  27  -21 0 3 0    L 3              
4   Sep 16 2006 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten L   7  37  -30 0 4 0    L 4              
5   Sep 27 2014 Sat Cincinnati  Ohio State Big Ten                0 4 0      1              
</PRE>

The 1999 game was much closer than the score. UC lead 17-3 and missed a field goal before the half that would have put them up 20-3 (i believe there would have been less than 2 minutes left in the half). Ohio State had great field position after the miss and got a TD before the half. 20-3, becomes 17-10 just like that. The second half UC kept moving the ball but just didn't finish their drive. I think UC had over 500 yards of offense that day. Very disappointing result, considering how well UC played for much of that day.

2004 UC had a new coach and struggled a ton early.

2006 UC played an incredibly conservative game offensively and just didn't give its young defense a chance. The defense was really impressive throughout the first half (which was lead by a ton of sophomores). UC played 5 top 10 teams that year and 4 on the road. Dantonio was a great coach but he was very stubborn on how he liked to play and his gameplan against OSU in 2004 and 2006 just killed the defense. Offense took no chances, got very few first downs and punted far too often. UC did not have the personnel to line up and run right at OSU.

The scores of the UC / OSU games don't look great, but honestly I think for large portions the games have been more competitive than they look (of course that doesn't matter at all Saturday).

2002 will forever go down as the most disappointing loss ever for UC football. 2 dropped TD passes inside the last 40 seconds cost UC the game.
09-22-2014 02:34 PM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8

I'm going to wear my ECU gear to the local sports bar and watch the Cincy OSU game near any buckeye fans I can find and give them sh*t. You guys just help me out on the field.
09-22-2014 02:38 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: This may be a tough week for the American...

Nah. Cincy can beat them. They are just in your head.

who names their kid urban? Is that some kinda Ohio pilgrim name or something? Does he have a brother named rural. His team has been playing like his name should be Oscar
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 02:41 PM by shere khan.)
09-22-2014 02:39 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

^^ It is an old name for sure. Eight Popes bore the name Urban and there is an Urban in the New Testament. The Buckeyes coach is named after his father and grandfather. I imagine some lunatic t-shirt fan from central Ohio has named his kid Urban in the past couple years (my personal favorite was one about ten years ago who named his kid Tressel Hayes).
09-22-2014 03:03 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

Cincy beating OSU would be the biggest win thus far for the American. At least perception-wise.
09-22-2014 03:11 PM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(09-22-2014 03:11 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Cincy beating OSU would be the biggest win thus far for the American. At least perception-wise.

Not just that...think about how that would play out locally. Ohio State fans are still pissed about losing to VT. If they lost to Cincinnati, Meyer would be questioned about everything he is doing.

And Cincy could hang their hat locally on beating Cincy. They are spending $$$ on the stadium, have a brand name coach and a well known QB. It may well be the biggest win in Cincy history...am I wrong?
09-22-2014 03:22 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(09-22-2014 03:22 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  
(09-22-2014 03:11 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Cincy beating OSU would be the biggest win thus far for the American. At least perception-wise.

Not just that...think about how that would play out locally. Ohio State fans are still pissed about losing to VT. If they lost to Cincinnati, Meyer would be questioned about everything he is doing.

And Cincy could hang their hat locally on beating Cincy. They are spending $$$ on the stadium, have a brand name coach and a well known QB. It may well be the biggest win in Cincy history...am I wrong?

Perception wise it would be the biggest win in school history. UC beat defending national champ Penn State on opening day in 1983, beat Big Ten and Rose Bowl Champ Wisconsin (led by a Heisman RB Ron Dayne in 1999) and the Pitt game in 2009 was huge due to the fact UC finished 12-0 but none of those match how much mojo a win over the Buckeyes would give UC, both locally and on a national scale.
09-22-2014 03:29 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame

I respectfully disagree. It would be Memphis beating #10 Ole Miss this weekend. Ohio State is now #22, and Cincy is regarded as a contender for the AAC title, while Memphis is still a mystery to the outside world.

Cincy beating OSU is more likely, but Memphis beating Ole Miss would be bigger for the AAC.
09-22-2014 03:31 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I'm trying very hard not to get worked up about this game, but I know once I sit in my crappy seats at Ohio Stadium, I'll be super charged.

I go in with low expectations, so I won't be disappointed...but the reality is I want a victory so badly that I'll be in a rotten mood with any kind of loss - despite the fact the odds are against UC and I know this is nothing more than a football game.

What I hope for is UC to strike early to discombobulate an already-uptight O$U team and crowd.

I take not only your support, but your thoughts, prayers, superstitions - whatever you can and aim them toward Cowlumbus Saturday night.
09-22-2014 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.