Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Duke gets 20 million for what????
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Duke gets 20 million for what????
Hard to understand why Duke is getting the ACC money.
Watching the Tulane game.

One side of the grand stands is mostly empty. Attendance can't be more then 15.000 as I look at the stands.

Duke is all excited that if they win today it will be the first time in 20 years that they have won 4 games in a row.

Duke has no real football fan base.

Duke shares the Raleigh/NC market with UNC, NCST and Wake Forest.

Man what a gift the ACC gives them.
With an ACC schedule Cincinnati would see a full stadium and lots of wins.
09-20-2014 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Duke gets 20 million for what????
Totally agree. If UC was in the ACC, every home game would be a sellout (~40K).
09-20-2014 01:15 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
It's a bad joke. Pitt and Syralose look awful too

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-20-2014 01:22 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Duke is one of the best universities with one of the best athletic programs in the country.

Dumb thread.

Quote:2014 Directors Cup

1 Stanford Pac 12
2 Florida SEC
3 Notre Dame ACC
4 Virginia ACC
5 Penn State Big Ten
6 Texas Big 12
7 UCLA Pac 12
8 USC Pac 12
9 Duke ACC
10 Texas A&M SEC
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 01:37 PM by Kronke.)
09-20-2014 01:27 PM
eastside cat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Yes, it sucks to see. Now you know the bitterness we feel. Duke is basketball and that is the only reason they are in the ACC.
(09-20-2014 01:22 PM)shere khan Wrote:  It's a bad joke. Pitt and Syralose look awful too

09-20-2014 01:28 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-20-2014 01:27 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Duke is one of the best universities with one of the best athletic programs in the country.

Dumb thread.

Yeah and they have a top ten basketball team every year for... what, the last 30 years?

We are really saying that Duke isn't a power conference school?
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 01:31 PM by OUGwave.)
09-20-2014 01:30 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

Re: RE: Duke gets 20 million for what????
(09-20-2014 01:27 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Duke is one of the best universities with one of the best athletic programs in the country.

Dumb thread.

Duke has a former Alabama water boy for a coach and a pathetic football program. they are not a division above anyone in athletics
09-20-2014 01:30 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Because it gives Dick Vitale something to do. Seriously, Duke's basketball program makes them an income generator.

http://www.clc.com/News/Archived-News/Ra...12-13.aspx

#35, squarely in the middle of the power-conference teams.

As for "if UC were in the ACC", you're saying that a home slate of Miami, Wake Forest, FSU and NC State (Louisville's ACC home schedule this year) would sell out Nippert? I'm not really convinced that's an order of magnitude better than the old Big East lineup that didn't always sell out.
09-20-2014 01:31 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-20-2014 01:28 PM)eastside cat Wrote:  Yes, it sucks to see. Now you know the bitterness we feel. Duke is basketball and that is the only reason they are in the ACC.
(09-20-2014 01:22 PM)shere khan Wrote:  It's a bad joke. Pitt and Syralose look awful too

yeah but the basketball is enough. Their basketball program is on another level in terms of consistency and quality than almost everyone else in the country.

People can hate on them all they want but it really is true. Maybe 3 or 4 schools have been as consistently good as them? And that is arguable.
09-20-2014 01:32 PM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(09-20-2014 01:07 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Hard to understand why Duke is getting the ACC money.
Watching the Tulane game.

One side of the grand stands is mostly empty. Attendance can't be more then 15.000 as I look at the stands.

Duke is all excited that if they win today it will be the first time in 20 years that they have won 4 games in a row.

Duke has no real football fan base.

Duke shares the Raleigh/NC market with UNC, NCST and Wake Forest.

Man what a gift the ACC gives them.
With an ACC schedule Cincinnati would see a full stadium and lots of wins.

Took the words right out of my mouth. A lot of fans disguised as empty seats.
09-20-2014 01:44 PM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
Cincinnati fans are the WORST!!!!!!
09-20-2014 01:52 PM
Advertisement

kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Dumb thread.

Quote:2014 Directors Cup

1 Stanford Pac 12
2 Florida SEC
3 Notre Dame ACC
4 Virginia ACC
5 Penn State Big Ten
6 Texas Big 12
7 UCLA Pac 12
8 USC Pac 12
9 Duke ACC
10 Texas A&M SEC
Remember what expansion was about FOOTBALL, fan support and TV sets. Duke does not fit any of those areas period.
NOT Basketball or Academics
09-20-2014 01:58 PM
johnbragg Offline

(09-20-2014 01:58 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Remember what expansion was about FOOTBALL, fan support and TV sets. Duke does not fit any of those areas period.

Well, the reality is that because of academics, basketball and geography, Duke could get into the Big Ten or SEC in a heartbeat.

Expansion being all about football and TV sets did not work out swimmingly for the Old Big East. Football and fan support did nothing for ECU until the very last minute, and TV sets did not get BYU into the Big 12.
09-20-2014 02:11 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
Because they are a founding member, if they were a "free agent" school for the P5 they'd probably in the same situation as Rice or more likely dropped football a long time ago. Once you're in you're in.
09-20-2014 02:19 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Weren't they in a good bowl last year?
09-20-2014 02:27 PM
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-20-2014 02:11 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(09-20-2014 01:58 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Remember what expansion was about FOOTBALL, fan support and TV sets. Duke does not fit any of those areas period.

Well, the reality is that because of academics, basketball and geography, Duke could get into the Big Ten or SEC in a heartbeat.

Expansion being all about football and TV sets did not work out swimmingly for the Old Big East. Football and fan support did nothing for ECU until the very last minute, and TV sets did not get BYU into the Big 12.

Each one of those programs you mentioned has additional issues other then the Big three stated.
In fact the Old big East could have been one of the P5 if they would have expanded when Penn St wanted in. In addition to missing those opportunity they missed out on other additions.
Here is what the old Big East could have looked like back in the 90's early 2000 if they expand without hesitation on the football side of things.
Here is the list.
Penn St, WVU, Boston College, Miami Fla, Pittsburgh, Temple, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, UCONN, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, ECU, they even could have had TCU if necessary.
On the basketball side The BE would not have had to add Marquette or Depaul.
The Big East would have had 4 NCAA basketball championships by now with that lineup the TV money would have been very good. But the Commissioner Marrionia (SP) blew it big time with stupidity.
09-20-2014 02:31 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

And stll they are gonna seat 50000 and play unc. The same suck big East football schools now suck in other conferences and none are even ranked. The old big East had one value, an aq bid. When it lost that it had nothing and is as its ild fball schools suck. The new big east is as relevant as the a10 this time of year
09-20-2014 02:32 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN

So using this logic, UCONN should see an invite from the Big 10 tomorrow. UCONN fans were told, more times than I can count, that "football drives the bus". I can safely point to the Dukies as proof that line of thinking is complete BS!!!
09-20-2014 02:34 PM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
Correction: Cincinnati AND UConn fans are the WORST!!!!
09-20-2014 02:36 PM
johnbragg Offline

(09-20-2014 02:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

And stll they are gonna seat 50000 and play unc. The same suck big East football schools now suck in other conferences and none are even ranked. The old big East had one value, an aq bid. When it lost that it had nothing and is as its ild fball schools suck. The new big east is as relevant as the a10 this time of year

I'm not slamming ECU at all, I'm just pointing out that it wasn't/isn't as simple as "Football drives the bus." The new Big East is perfectly happy with how things worked out, we're watching the NFL until Halloween.

(09-20-2014 02:34 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

So using this logic, UCONN should see an invite from the Big 10 tomorrow. UCONN fans were told, more times than I can count, that "football drives the bus". I can safely point to the Dukies as proof that line of thinking is complete BS!!!

Duke is in North Carolina.
North Carolina: 3.8M cable households and growing rather quickly.
Connecticut: 1.1M cable households and not growing so much.

Look at what Rutgers and Maryland did for the Big Ten Network. And Rutgers has accomplished nothing of note on the field or the court since 1869 or so, (except for a women's Final Four, maybe more). Compare that to Duke basketball, and I'm pretty confident in saying that Duke could join either the SEC or Big Ten tomorrow.

Note that Kansas isn't in North Carolina either, and they were twisting in the wind when the PAC-16 was being designed.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 03:09 PM by johnbragg.)
09-20-2014 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.