Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 1 Power Rating
Bookmark and Share
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
Week 1 Power Rating
We did this last year. After the first week of games, it is very hard to do this and a crap shoot, but with all the info we have I'll go:

1) ULL - decent performance, but can't tell from Southern a lot.
2) ULM- Offense didn't start clicking till end of game, but Defensive was dominating. Win over ACC gets a move up this week.
3) ASU - nice win over GOOD FCS.
4) Georgia Southern - almost knocked off ACC team. Depth not good.
5) USA - can't tell yet with no game, but get this after last year.
6) Texas St.- dominated bad FCS.
7) NMSU - nice win over FCS
8) Idaho - cancelled game
9) Troy - awful start
10) Georgia St. - got to not out them last since they won.
11) App St. - Nor the worst, but hard to tell much after this week. Will probably move up fast. No offense app, we do this weekly and you can move way up in a week.
08-31-2014 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Week 1 Power Rating
1. ULM -- It was an ACC team. They held them to 94 total yards and only 5 first downs. Very impressive. The points Wake scored were given to them by ULM mistakes. Otherwise this one is a shutout/blowout. ULM has weaknesses that can be exploited, but right now they are #1.
2. Louisiana Lafayette -- Eh, it was Southern. You did what you had to do and took care of business. We will see more this weekend against Tech.
3. ASU -- You did what you had to do and took care of business. We will see more this weekend against Tennessee.
4. Georgia Southern -- Many of you will remember what posters here have said (including me). It isn't that you can't compete at this level. It's the depth that will get you. I think you guys saw that first hand this weekend. Now imagine an entire season of no depth and you can see the problems that you'll run into at the FBS level. All transitional teams go through it, but based on Week 1 you are definitely towards the top.
5. Texas State -- Eh, terrible opponent. You scored 65 against a very bad team. Can you do that against Navy in two weeks? Enjoy the week off to prepare for the option.
6. New Mexico State -- You won the game that you had scheduled. FCS team... will be able to determine more of the pecking order when you play Georgia State this weekend.
7. Georgia State -- You won the game that you had scheduled. FCS team... will be able to determine more of the pecking order when you play New Mexico State this weekend.
8. Appalachian State -- It was a Big Ten team, but I was underwhelmed.
9. Troy -- It's rare for Troy to have such a bad performance. When it does it's usually at the hands of a really good team (Mississippi State a couple years ago, South Carolina a few years ago). This was very disappointing and they have to go at the bottom for now. Like I said, this isn't an indictment on your season, but you better get it in gear fast.

Unknown:
1. USA -- No game yet. We will find out Saturday how the offense will be with Brandon Bridge taking the snaps and how the defense will respond with the attrition from last year.
2. Idaho -- Didn't get to play Florida. But the one kickoff that happened before the other lightning delay was a HUGE gain for Florida. Was that a sign of things to come?

Just think... After next weekend either Georgia State or New Mexico State will be 2-0 and sitting at the top of the Sun Belt standings...
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 01:53 PM by SkullyMaroo.)
08-31-2014 01:51 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
My outlook on our season isn't changed. We will finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th. We will have a wild year. Every conference game is winnable and loseable.
08-31-2014 02:15 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
1)Louisiana - Played a bad team and did what was expected to be done to a bad team, pounded them. Projected to be the top, haven't done anything to lose that foothold as of yet.
2)ULM - Most impressive win of the week. Offense looks shaky, but defense looks great. No one knows how good (or bad) Wake is, but a win against an ACC opponent is always big.
3)Texas State - I guess I'm just sold on em, but I think TSU is the sleeper this year. I was really sold on Tyler Jones last year as a freshman, and with a year under his belt, I'm even more sold. Defense and run game will be able to be counted on as usual, if Jones adds a dynamic passing game, this becomes a VERY dangerous team in or out of conference.
4)ASU - Solid win against a good FCS team. It was believed that this would finally be the year of rebuilding at stAte, I think the team has something to say about that.
5)USA - Didn't play, think they will be solid this year
6)GaSo - Impressive to say the least. Ya'll have found a passing game as you transitioned to the FBS level, and while your Defense is undersized, it's very athletic. I think you will wear down towards the end of the season because of lack of scholarships (and because of that, depth), but your first 11 will be able to compete week in and week out in conference.
7)NMSU - Cal Poly isn't great, but their not a slouch, and after the last few seasons in Las Cruces, any win is a good win. For 2 programs that have struggled mightily, either NMSU or GSU will start the season next week 2-0, I'm leaning towards the Aggies.
8)Appalachian State - Well...that game happened. I'm not ready to say yall are dead because Michigan is a powerhouse and I'd imagine they were motivated like heck for this game, so there was no way on earth yall were gonna sneak up on em. We'll all learn more about your team next week.
9)GSU - You squeak by Abilene Christian at home? C'mon man, yall need to be further along the transition than this by now. I won't write you off, I love your coach and the most improvement is made from week 1 to week 2, but even in a win, it was sloppy. Improvement needs to be made.
10)Idaho - Best outcome that could have happen, did when the game got cancelled.
11)Troy - Man...painful to put a longstanding SBC power here, but that was awful, and that's nothing you don't already know. I don't think Larry Blakeney is officially out, but the fat lady is warming up the ole pipes. With that said, it might be time as a fanbase to start consider how to raise funds to pay a new coach because If I recall, LB isn't one of the better paid coaches in the league, so atleast there's time to do some fundraising so you can hit a homerun with the next hire.
08-31-2014 02:25 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
1. ULM- They won against an ACC team even if it was a bad ACC team. To hold any team to just 5 first downs is unheard of.

2. ULL- They are the favorites to win the conference. They won their game even if it was against an FCS team.

3. ASU- ASU started the game slow on offense but pulled away in the second half. We played a top FCS and still won big.

4. Georgia Southern- If not for a fumble on the 1 yard line they would have beaten an ACC team. Depth will likely cause them to drop in the ratings later this year though.

5. TxSt- UAPB may be a bad team but TXST just man handled them. The game againt Navy will tell us if TXST will move up or drop down.

6. NMSU- They won the game they were suppose to win

7. GaSt- They won the game they were suppose to win.

8. AppSt- I know Michigan is a BIG10 team but App just got pounded.

9. TROY- I have no idea what happened. TROY use to be the team to beat in the Belt. May be time for a new coach.

No rating this week
USA
Idaho
08-31-2014 02:30 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think GSU and App both played better than Troy.
08-31-2014 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-31-2014 01:32 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  We did this last year. After the first week of games, it is very hard to do this and a crap shoot, but with all the info we have I'll go:

2) ULM- Offense didn't start clicking till end of game, but Defensive was dominating. Win over ACC gets a move up this week.
9) Troy - awful start
11) App St. - Nor the worst, but hard to tell much after this week. Will probably move up fast. No offense app, we do this weekly and you can move way up in a week.

no way App deserves to be below Ga. State. Hard to argue they should be better than 10th though considering their record last year and the beating they took yesterday. They'll be fine long term though.
08-31-2014 02:43 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-31-2014 02:37 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think GSU and App both played better than Troy.

I agree, Troy had the worst game of the week and it wasn't even close. I also tend to not think App was as bad as they showed because they were playing a much better team with a TON of motivation. Im not ready to write them off just yet until they play comparable competition.
08-31-2014 02:44 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Troy lost to UAB by 38 App lost by 38 to Michigan, just a reminder.
08-31-2014 02:50 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-31-2014 02:43 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 01:32 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  We did this last year. After the first week of games, it is very hard to do this and a crap shoot, but with all the info we have I'll go:

9) Troy - awful start

no way App deserves to be below Ga. State. Hard to argue they should be better than 10th though considering their record last year and the beating they took yesterday. They'll be fine long term though.

I don't consider GSU the worst team in the conference right now, especially how Troy was run of the field against one of the worst FBS teams. GSU managed to win their game, and even if it was a poor win against a poor opponent, it was a win, so I don't think they should be considered in last in the conference, atleast for 1 week. Remember the rankings during the season shouldn't be predictive of where the teams will ultimately finish, I think it should be a snapshot of where they currently stand because teams improve and fall apart during the season.
08-31-2014 02:56 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(08-31-2014 02:44 PM)Tuffguy21 Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 02:37 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think GSU and App both played better than Troy.

I agree, Troy had the worst game of the week and it wasn't even close. I also tend to not think App was as bad as they showed because they were playing a much better team with a TON of motivation. Im not ready to write them off just yet until they play comparable competition.

I'm not either. App will be fine. This is just based off preseason and this past week.
08-31-2014 03:03 PM
Advertisement

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
These ranking are done weekly. Teams will move up or down depending how they play each week.
08-31-2014 03:05 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Blakeney is paid right at 500k.... We fall in the upper middle in the SBC in pay.
08-31-2014 03:15 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
We got a handle on how teams preformed with respect to expectations,
mostly in mis-match games for week 1,
but I, for one, am not convinced about relative strength just yet.
08-31-2014 05:34 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
[Image: DDMBW.gif]
08-31-2014 06:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(08-31-2014 03:15 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Blakeney is paid right at 500k.... We fall in the upper middle in the SBC in pay.

So what are you saying about PAY? ULM coach works for pecans, fish, and oats. Troy will finish in the bottom third, so rounding down, 7th or worse.
08-31-2014 06:30 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(08-31-2014 03:05 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  These ranking are done weekly. Teams will move up or down depending how they play each week.
Not to mention the people doing them are clueless.
08-31-2014 06:31 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-31-2014 03:15 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Blakeney is paid right at 500k.... We fall in the upper middle in the SBC in pay.

Not bad, but can't hurt to think about fund raising for it, the more you get the better the coach you'll be able to afford. The belt will benefit having Troy return to power (not in terms of dominating the conference championships, but if nothing else, being very good OOC).
08-31-2014 06:34 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(08-31-2014 02:43 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

9) Troy - awful start

Hard to tell about AppState. We were shell shocked and blitzed to death in the first half. I think we learned a few things though: our front three on defense are pretty darn good, our linebackers and secondary are young. I also feel we have two good choices for QB. I'd give the nod to Lamb for running the offense crisp and making quick decisions and spreading the ball around, but Kam had no time to run anything. We won't see lineman with the size and skill of Michigan the rest of this year.

Also learned we have two guys that can carry the rock. If we can fix the secondary and LB angles I think we will be ok this year.
08-31-2014 06:35 PM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-31-2014 06:30 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  

So what are you saying about PAY? ULM coach works for pecans, fish, and oats. Troy will finish in the bottom third, so rounding down, 7th or worse.

He was saying that in response to me talking about how they might want to start raising some money for life after Blakeney because the price of good coaching is skyrocketing.
08-31-2014 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.