Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Overview of wk 1...
Bookmark and Share
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Overview of wk 1...
So here are my rankings of the games. Overall a VERY good start for CUSA.

The Good:

WKU- Throttling Bowling Green who is expected to win the MAC was great
UTSA- Ditto for UTSA except sub in Houston and AAC
UTEP- From what I read, I wasnt expecting UTEP to win and they did
UAB- Great win against Troy, who has had UAB's number the last few years

The Expected

Marshall, MTSU, ODU, USM, LA Tech, Charlotte-All except LATech and USM took care of business, and the score was about what I expected on those 2 games against a P5.

The Dissapointing

FAU, Rice, UNT- All lost as I expected but I was hoping for the games to be closer.

The Bad:

FIU- I like seeing FIU lose, but NOT to an FCS team. This one is the one real bad loss of the week.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 08:44 AM by OwlFamily.)
08-31-2014 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Overview of wk 1...
I'd put Marshall in the disappointing. I know teams improve from year to year, but Marshall fans keep hearing that the talent level of our team is way ahead of where it was 5 years ago. Going into the season all the hype of how this talented team would roll through the easy OOC schedule only to see a lot of struggle in the 2nd half against a team that was winless in 2013.

I'm not sure what to make of FIU, maybe they made the jump to FBS too soon. Bethune-Cookman is not an FCS power should have been a winnable game for FIU at home. Really from there FIU only has one shot at OOC win v. Wagner next week.
08-31-2014 07:18 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
No real shock with the losses to the P-5 schools. Disappointing lost has to be FIU losing to Bethune considering they had a chance to win at the end but muffed the FG attempt.

UAB had to be the biggest shocker (even for Blazer fans). It was complete performance by UAB in all aspects of the game.
08-31-2014 07:33 AM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(08-31-2014 07:33 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  No real shock with the losses to the P-5 schools. Disappointing lost has to be FIU losing to Bethune considering they had a chance to win at the end but muffed the FG attempt.

UAB had to be the biggest shocker (even for Blazer fans). It was complete performance by UAB in all aspects of the game.

I expected all of us to lose as well, but I did expect closer contests in all 3 with Rice and UNT having a better shot then FAU. UAB's win was great, but to me the real shocker was WKU destroying Bowling Green.
08-31-2014 07:39 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
The most pleasing part of the week for me was that C-USA went 5-0 against G5 competition. I don't want to brag about this excessively, toot our own horn, or crow...I just want to be happy for the fact that, at this point, at least, we are undefeated against our peer conferences.

The least pleasing part of the week, from a conference standpoint? FIU's loss to BCC. Second place (for me)? Marshall's lackadaisical play after the 21-0 lead.

UTSA and WKU, in particular, both looked awfully, awfully good.
08-31-2014 07:43 AM
Advertisement

GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
CUSA weekend capsule:

vs P5 = 0-5
vs G5 = 5-0
vs FCS = 2-1

UNCC beat Campbell.

Highs = UTSA, UTEP & WKU

Lows = FIU.
08-31-2014 08:02 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Excellent showing by CUSA in week 1.

The Good

UTSA - Runners go on the road in front of a sold out 40k stadium and dismantle a high powered offense. Coogs fans are still in shock. Knocking the AAC down a beg or two is glorious. It's fun watching the self proclaimed Intercontinnental G5 Champs **** their pants in fear that they might not get the access slot.

Marshall - Herd stuck it to a very good MAC team. 1 win down 11 more to go.

MTSU - It took me a while to realize what a great addition to the conference. They are legit. I can't wait for my first trip to Nashville.

UAB - Dragons take care of business and put Troy away. I'll be pulling for UAB all year. Attendance last year was attrocious. Let's see if a few more wins wakes a sleeping dragon.

UTEP - Miners open up the season with a road win against a rival. Life is good. Picks up indeed.

ODU - Monarchs continue to roll. Could they make a bowl game this year?

The Bad

UNT - UT has begun to transform under their new coach. I was hoping for a little more fight from the Mean Green but it's tough playing against tier 1 talent. Just the fact you're playing Texas bodes well. I've always liked the WAC moto "Play up"

Rice - Not too sure what to expect from the Owls this year.

Tech - Tough to compete against P5 but appears the Dawgs are still trying to find their way.

FAU - Expected more of a fight. FAU is resilient let's see how they bounce back.

The Ugly

USM - They need a win however they can get one. This program has too much history to be a cellar dweller.
FIU - Its going to be a long season. [/align]
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 08:19 AM by SApuro.)
08-31-2014 08:08 AM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(08-31-2014 08:08 AM)SApuro Wrote:  Excellent showing by CUSA in week 1.

The Good

UTSA - Runners go on the road in front of a sold out 40k stadium and dismantle a high powered offense. Coogs fans are still in shock. Knocking the AAC down a beg or two is glorious. It's fun watching the self proclaimed Intercontinnental G5 Champs **** their pants in fear that they might not get the access slot.

Marshall - Herd stuck it to a very good MAC team. 1 win down 11 more to go.

MTSU - It took me a while to realize what a great addition to the conference. They are legit. I can't wait for my first trip to Nashville.

UAB - Dragons take care of business and put Troy away. I'll be pulling for UAB all year. Attendance last year was attrocious. Let's see if a few more wins wakes a sleeping dragon.

UTEP - Miners open up the season with a road win against a rival. Life is good. Picks up indeed.

ODU - Monarchs continue to roll. Could they make a bowl game this year?

The Bad

UNT - UT has begun to transform under their new coach. I was hoping for a little more fight from the Mean Green but it's tough playing against tier 1 talent. Just the fact you're playing Texas bodes well. I've always liked the WAC moto "Play up"

Rice - Not too sure what to expect from the Owls this year.

Tech - Tough to compete against P5 but appears the Dawgs are still trying to find their way.

FAU - Expected more of a fight. FAU is resilient let's see how they bounce back.

The Ugly

USM - They need a win however they can get one. This program has too much history to be a cellar dweller.
FIU - Its going to be a long season. [/align]

[Image: tumblr_inline_n7j7i1C3EM1sohk3w.gif]
08-31-2014 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
It's funny how 1 game can change everything we heard in the offseason. It happens every year. Marshall was supposed to be the class of the conference. After 1 game, I would put UTSA and WKU above them. But they are a talented team, I just think they are going to have to work harder than everyone thought to win the championship. My pick to win it at this point is UTSA. But this will probably change from week to week. LOL.
08-31-2014 08:42 AM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(08-31-2014 07:39 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 07:33 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  No real shock with the losses to the P-5 schools. Disappointing lost has to be FIU losing to Bethune considering they had a chance to win at the end but muffed the FG attempt.

I expected all of us to lose as well, but I did expect closer contests in all 3 with Rice and UNT having a better shot then FAU. UAB's win was great, but to me the real shocker was WKU destroying Bowling Green.

I forgot about WKU. That was absolutely a great win by the Hilltoppers. I think the overview of this week is CUSA handled its business against the other "Next Five" programs which was huge from a perception standpoint. And maybe it was just me but I expected UTSA to beat Houston.

I still believe the conference will get a couple of wins against P-5 programs as well. All in all, not a bad way to start the season for CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 08:58 AM by BamaScorpio69.)
08-31-2014 08:56 AM
Fish Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
As a whole C-USA did a great job. WKU, UTSA, and UAB had some solid victories. MT had a pretty dominant performance as well. FIU actually covered the spread, sadly, but the loss is still pathetic. For the rest, it's hard to tell much after just one week. Let's see how teams improve from weeks 1-2.
08-31-2014 09:21 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I was surprised that MT's crowd was as good as it was (15,605 through the gates) considering it poured for literally the entire game. The team looked unstoppable in the first half as the first and second teams were in. I have a good feeling about this year for MT.

Agreed w/Fish. Need to see next week to get a better picture of the year.
08-31-2014 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.