Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco interview from Sports Business Daily (TV deal talk)
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The first season of the American Athletic Conference football saw both UCF and Louisville finish with top-15 rankings, with UCF bringing the league a victory in its first-ever BCS bowl. The conference also carved out its own spot in the crowded sports TV field, playing on Friday nights on ESPN. Heading into year two, AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco envisions more success for the once-again reconfigured conference. In a recent Q&A, he discussed the conference's TV deal, the future structure of the NCAA, and other issues in college sports.

Q: Looking at your TV deal, what would you like to see improve going forward?
Aresco: We’re very happy with the exposure. ESPN has been over-delivering in terms of windows, in terms of the networks that we’re on. What we need to do is sit down and see if there’s a way we can somehow generate more revenue. That’s clearly it. We’ve provided more value than anyone expected, and now we have to figure out a way to be inventive regarding the contract. We’ll try to sit down sooner rather than later with ESPN to see if there’s something we can figure out. One of the things we are doing to try to generate more value is play those Friday games. We’ve carved that niche out, but it’s a hardship on our schools. We’re also playing Thursdays; we’re also looking potentially at other days. We think that can create some value. We’re also looking for other ways we can create value for ESPN, whether it’s with ESPN3 or other things we can do. It’s absolutely critical to our future.

Q: Besides having the spotlight to yourself on Friday, how else have those games been beneficial?
Aresco: The biggest benefit is having the spotlight on you, I don’t think there’s any question. We’re a new league, we understand that we’re selling a new product, we have to identify ourselves. The identity around the country is something that is going to take some time. We got a pretty good start. Thank goodness we have the ESPN platforms because they’re showing our logo constantly. They’re going to use a new joint logo with the wipes this year when you go from action to action or scene to scene -- you’ll see the ESPN and American logo just like SEC and CBS. The other thing ESPN does for us is we get a lot of valuable PSA time. We’ve done some cutting-edge PSAs and you’ll see them this fall. We’re going to make a concerted effort; we’re doing more advertising now, to make an effort to get the identity out there. We have a lot of work to do there still.

Q: How delicate of a balance is it with potential Tuesday and Wednesday games for schools coming into those on short weeks?
Aresco: You have to have a bye week for those. Your schedule is not easy to do. We haven’t done and Tuesdays and we haven’t really talked about Tuesdays at this point. I think at this point it’s something we would look at, but we don’t want to be known as a Tuesday-Wednesday league. We don’t mind the Fridays -- they give us a great showcase, a great platform. We play many of our games on Saturday, but as you know, Saturday is getting crowded. You actually will do a lot better on Fridays and on Thursdays once the network (NFL) package is finished; you have more of a fighting chance, I imagine.

Q: Beyond winning, what can the American do to change people’s perception of the conference?
Aresco: Had we not won the national championship in basketball, I don’t know we would have gotten the kind of attention we got. But we did win it, and we won the Fiesta Bowl. That was huge, planting the flag in the ground that we had. Besides winning, I think we need to increase attendance. When you see a game of ours, you want to see a great atmosphere, there’s no question about that. I think we have to do as much as we possibly can when it comes to these autonomous categories that involve financial outlays for student-athletes in various areas. We’re going to have to do as much of that as we possibly can so we can be viewed as having the resources to be in that conversation, in that group. It’s going to be how well we do on the field and on the court, and whether the perception or the reality that we have the resources. Remember, they’re viewing themselves as autonomous for several reasons. One, they say they’re more visible; we’re visible, too. We think we’ve already sort of hit that box. That they have been competitive extremely; we think we’ve hit that box, at least I the beginning. And then they talk about the level of resources. That’s a box we got to work at, we have to show people.

Q: If the Power Five conferences were to ever break away, what do you anticipate the fallout to be for the other conferences?
Aresco: I don’t think that’s going to happen. I don’t think there will be a fourth division. If there were a move toward that, it would have a profound effect on us. We would insist that we would be part of it, that we have a 12-year college playoff deal, that it would harm us economically; it would harm us in other ways. So we would feel a strong inclination to push to be in it. We are a signatory to a 12-year deal, and if you are suddenly in a separate division and you’re viewed differently; your competitive position is viewed differently and you have issue of how you can compete. If you set up a fourth division, then you have questions of what to do with the NCAA Tournament deal. What do you do with a lot of different things? There would be profound implications of that.

Q: How do you balance your belief the conference should be included with the Power Five, yet maintain an upstart mentality?
Aresco: That shows the delicate, fine-line that we walk, why our situation is different. We know who we are. We know we have work to do, we’re not arguing that, and we know we have to build the brand. When I say we’re knocking on the door and that we’re five plus one, it’s because I really believe that we are. What is going to determine that is whether we continue winning and winning at a greater level, whether we spend the money we need to spend to show we can deal with those issues, and ultimately, media perception is going to be extremely important.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...ce=Twitter
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 01:25 PM by NBPirate.)
08-28-2014 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Aresco interview from Sports Business Daily (TV deal talk)
One really cool thing is the new joint logo for the AAC with ESPN like the SEC has which will be shown when switching clips.

Like this:

[Image: SEC_ESPN_logo.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 01:24 PM by NBPirate.)
08-28-2014 01:21 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Actual intelligent questions from a reporter
08-28-2014 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-28-2014 01:19 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  The first season of the American Athletic Conference football saw both UCF and Louisville finish with top-15 rankings, with UCF bringing the league a victory in its first-ever BCS bowl. The conference also carved out its own spot in the crowded sports TV field, playing on Friday nights on ESPN. Heading into year two, AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco envisions more success for the once-again reconfigured conference. In a recent Q&A, he discussed the conference's TV deal, the future structure of the NCAA, and other issues in college sports.

Q: Looking at your TV deal, what would you like to see improve going forward?
Aresco: We’re very happy with the exposure. ESPN has been over-delivering in terms of windows, in terms of the networks that we’re on. What we need to do is sit down and see if there’s a way we can somehow generate more revenue. That’s clearly it. We’ve provided more value than anyone expected, and now we have to figure out a way to be inventive regarding the contract. We’ll try to sit down sooner rather than later with ESPN to see if there’s something we can figure out. One of the things we are doing to try to generate more value is play those Friday games. We’ve carved that niche out, but it’s a hardship on our schools. We’re also playing Thursdays; we’re also looking potentially at other days. We think that can create some value. We’re also looking for other ways we can create value for ESPN, whether it’s with ESPN3 or other things we can do. It’s absolutely critical to our future.

Q: Besides having the spotlight to yourself on Friday, how else have those games been beneficial?
Aresco: The biggest benefit is having the spotlight on you, I don’t think there’s any question. We’re a new league, we understand that we’re selling a new product, we have to identify ourselves. The identity around the country is something that is going to take some time. We got a pretty good start. Thank goodness we have the ESPN platforms because they’re showing our logo constantly. They’re going to use a new joint logo with the wipes this year when you go from action to action or scene to scene -- you’ll see the ESPN and American logo just like SEC and CBS. The other thing ESPN does for us is we get a lot of valuable PSA time. We’ve done some cutting-edge PSAs and you’ll see them this fall. We’re going to make a concerted effort; we’re doing more advertising now, to make an effort to get the identity out there. We have a lot of work to do there still.

Q: How delicate of a balance is it with potential Tuesday and Wednesday games for schools coming into those on short weeks?
Aresco: You have to have a bye week for those. Your schedule is not easy to do. We haven’t done and Tuesdays and we haven’t really talked about Tuesdays at this point. I think at this point it’s something we would look at, but we don’t want to be known as a Tuesday-Wednesday league. We don’t mind the Fridays -- they give us a great showcase, a great platform. We play many of our games on Saturday, but as you know, Saturday is getting crowded. You actually will do a lot better on Fridays and on Thursdays once the network (NFL) package is finished; you have more of a fighting chance, I imagine.

Q: Beyond winning, what can the American do to change people’s perception of the conference?
Aresco: Had we not won the national championship in basketball, I don’t know we would have gotten the kind of attention we got. But we did win it, and we won the Fiesta Bowl. That was huge, planting the flag in the ground that we had. Besides winning, I think we need to increase attendance. When you see a game of ours, you want to see a great atmosphere, there’s no question about that. I think we have to do as much as we possibly can when it comes to these autonomous categories that involve financial outlays for student-athletes in various areas. We’re going to have to do as much of that as we possibly can so we can be viewed as having the resources to be in that conversation, in that group. It’s going to be how well we do on the field and on the court, and whether the perception or the reality that we have the resources. Remember, they’re viewing themselves as autonomous for several reasons. One, they say they’re more visible; we’re visible, too. We think we’ve already sort of hit that box. That they have been competitive extremely; we think we’ve hit that box, at least I the beginning. And then they talk about the level of resources. That’s a box we got to work at, we have to show people.

Q: If the Power Five conferences were to ever break away, what do you anticipate the fallout to be for the other conferences?
Aresco: I don’t think that’s going to happen. I don’t think there will be a fourth division. If there were a move toward that, it would have a profound effect on us. We would insist that we would be part of it, that we have a 12-year college playoff deal, that it would harm us economically; it would harm us in other ways. So we would feel a strong inclination to push to be in it. We are a signatory to a 12-year deal, and if you are suddenly in a separate division and you’re viewed differently; your competitive position is viewed differently and you have issue of how you can compete. If you set up a fourth division, then you have questions of what to do with the NCAA Tournament deal. What do you do with a lot of different things? There would be profound implications of that.

Q: How do you balance your belief the conference should be included with the Power Five, yet maintain an upstart mentality?
Aresco: That shows the delicate, fine-line that we walk, why our situation is different. We know who we are. We know we have work to do, we’re not arguing that, and we know we have to build the brand. When I say we’re knocking on the door and that we’re five plus one, it’s because I really believe that we are. What is going to determine that is whether we continue winning and winning at a greater level, whether we spend the money we need to spend to show we can deal with those issues, and ultimately, media perception is going to be extremely important.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...ce=Twitter

Interesting that Aresco wants to sit down with ESPN "sooner rather than later" to see if something can be done to update the contract. My guess is he wants to do an early renegotiation similar to the MAC.

That would probably require committing to another 6-10 years beyond our current commitment. I think we would need to be very careful abut doing that.

That said, you can forget going from 2-million a year to getting 10-12 million in 3 short years. So, we would have to be more realistic and innovative. But I bet we could use a stepped contract that would secure us financially. It might not be as lucrative is as waiting until our current deal is nearly over---but something like this would give us financial security and allow us to compete NOW given the new challenges coming from autonomy.

Old Contract
yr-3---3 million
yr-4---4 million
yr-5---5 million
yr-6---5 million (end of original contract)

New deal pays 10 million a year per team, with 9 million per team pushed forward into years 3-6 of old contract. The pre-paid 9 million is paid for by back-loading the new contract. The AAC team get instant funds and slowly separate themselves from the rest of the G5 over the life of the contract with respect to both exposure and income. Basically, the AAC income would slowly increase over time---so we wouldn't be stuck in one place while everyone else escalates.

New deal/extension--
yr 1---6 million
yr 2---7 million
yr 3---8 million
yr 4-- 8 million
yr 5--9 million
yr-6--9 million
yr 7--10 million
yr-8--11 million
yr9--11 million
yr10-12 million

The down side is something like this is a very long deal and all the new technologies currently finding their niche---the college football rights marketplace could change drastically over that time. Digital rights, streaming games, and conference networks could become accessible to any conference and might be the preferred and most profitable delivery method in 5 or 6 years. With our rights tied up for over a decade---we could not capitalize on such a development. So, there is risk.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 03:26 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-28-2014 03:17 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

Translation: We have a contract with those SOBs and if they split we will sue their arses!
08-28-2014 03:20 PM
Advertisement

fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Friday nights is a big deal branding wise, and I think there is less problems with attendance because most people don't have to go to work Saturday. A lot of our schools are in big or medium size cities, so go to the game and then have a night out on the town.

I agree that we need to stay away from Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Let the MAC have those.

Fire June

08-28-2014 03:33 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
That's funny CliftonAve since that is exactly what I read between the lines. Good interview with good answers (humble, but forceful). Lot of work to do is so true.
08-28-2014 03:49 PM
Advertisement

YNot Online
All American

I Root For: BYU
(08-28-2014 01:19 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Q: Looking at your TV deal, what would you like to see improve going forward?

This is where a western expansion could really come into play and help propel the American's TV renegotiations and add some creative elements. First, you could have 7 or 8 games of inventory each week. With games at both ends of the country, the AAC could have TWO weekly Friday matchups. 7pm and 10pm Eastern - with the second game in the Mountain (8pm) or Pacific (7pm) time slot.

On Saturday, you could have a full slate of American football from noon until 11pm Eastern.
08-28-2014 03:55 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
For the extremely difficult position we were in, starting back when we were nameless and on life support to present successes, Aresco has done a pretty damn good job. Sure we've got a lot to grouse about, but he got us as much as anyone else could. If he manages to pull of more media $$ in an early renegotiate, I'll be pleasently shocked. ESPN won't give us money if they don't have to... love to see what Aresco comes up with.
08-28-2014 03:57 PM
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(08-28-2014 03:33 PM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  Friday nights is a big deal branding wise, and I think there is less problems with attendance because most people don't have to go to work Saturday. A lot of our schools are in big or medium size cities, so go to the game and then have a night out on the town.

I agree that we need to stay away from Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Let the MAC have those.

Fire June

Good point.
08-28-2014 04:34 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(08-28-2014 03:57 PM)Bull Wrote:  For the extremely difficult position we were in, starting back when we were nameless and on life support to present successes, Aresco has done a pretty damn good job. Sure we've got a lot to grouse about, but he got us as much as anyone else could. If he manages to pull of more media $$ in an early renegotiate, I'll be pleasently shocked. ESPN won't give us money if they don't have to... love to see what Aresco comes up with.

Unfortunately in this age of CFB, TV is the key to survival. TV and ESPN runs college football. We have the right man for the most important job, Aresco-a former TV exec, to promote our league and get our TV situation straight as we move forward. He knows the players and he knows how to play the game. He's a salesman and he is selling our league. I like his style, promote like hell.

We've got the exposure now, we need to keep that and add more $$ and I think you'll see this league continue to rise in the future.
08-28-2014 05:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.