Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How good/bad is your team graph
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
How good/bad is your team graph
pic.twitter.com/W9y2mdfpW9

I'll let someone smarter than me post the graph ha.

I wonder what metrics were used to make this graph. Some of it seems way off.

Edit: Found a better link to it with some explanation at the bottom, still seems off on a lot of teams though.

http://online.wsj.com/news/interactive/SHAME082714
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 11:59 AM by bearcatfan1211.)
08-28-2014 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: How good/bad is your team graph
I have no idea why they think we're "bad" off the field.
08-28-2014 12:02 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
I really don't get any of the placements of these teams...
08-28-2014 12:09 PM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Its good to see Temple firmly on the side of the “Admirable” scale, now if they can just move to the right towards the “Powerhouse” side a few spots they would be in good shape.

As a side note, i cant wait to sit back and see the s#*t storm some of these rankings start, it's a slow afternoon for me and i can use the entertainment.

Cue the madness in 3...2...1 02-13-banana
08-28-2014 12:09 PM
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
So there methodology says they are using the average projected 2014 finish. There AAC projections from an on-field (powerhouse) standpoint:

1. Houston
2. UC
3. TCU
4. Tulsa
5. USF
6. SMU
7. Memphis
8. Temple
9. UCONN
10. UCF
11. Tulane

That's some serious UCF hate having them ranked below the likes of Southern Alabama, San Jose St, Rice, and Ball St. just to name a few.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014 12:14 PM by bearcatfan1211.)
08-28-2014 12:10 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(08-28-2014 12:10 PM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  So there methodology says they are using the average projected 2014 finish. There AAC projections from an on-field (powerhouse) standpoint:

1. Houston
2. UC
3. TCU
4. Tulsa
5. USF
6. SMU
7. Memphis
8. Temple
9. UCONN
10. UCF
11. Tulane

That's some serious UCF hate having them ranked below the likes of Southern Alabama, San Jose St, Rice, and Ball St. just to name a few.

Maybe they meant 2004 and not 2014.
08-28-2014 12:16 PM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
There are some major errors there. Tulane is behind ULM, ULL and La Tech for Louisiana schools, yet we are 32-7 all time against those three schools. How is Rice ranked so much better than TU, they are the same thing.

The ECU ranking really stands out, give me a break.
08-28-2014 12:17 PM
TN Knightfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF Knights
The X axis (Weakling to Powerhouse) is an avaerage of the 2014 projected finish by three media outlets (Athlon, Phil Steele and USA Today) and two predictive models (Football Outsiders and ESPN).

The Y axis (Embarrassing to Admirable) is an off-the-field rating subjective ranking of six elements: four-year APR, recent history of major NCAA violations and probation, percentage of athletic-department revenues subsidized by student fees and state support, number of players arrested in the off-season, attendance at last season's games, and general "ick" factor.

As for UCF's X axis, how the hell are they behind Memphis, USF, Ball State, Northern Illinois, UTSA, and South Alabama? There's NOBODY who actually thinks UCF is worse on the field than South Alabama, and certainly not Athlon, Phil Steele, or USA Today.

The Y axis makes some sense based on the issues a few years ago with the moron Keith Tribble that led to our sanctions. Based on their criteria I don't think UCF would ever be that high on there. We have too much of our budget coming from student fees. But UCF has consistently had an outstanding APR and players just don't get in trouble.

I'd love to hear what other people think about their schools' placements.
08-28-2014 12:31 PM
RobUCF Offline
1st String

(08-28-2014 12:17 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  There are some major errors there. Tulane is behind ULM, ULL and La Tech for Louisiana schools, yet we are 32-7 all time against those three schools. How is Rice ranked so much better than TU, they are the same thing.

The ECU ranking really stands out, give me a break.

Might as have thrown darts at a board. The power ranking doesn't appear to correlate to any of the ranking services referenced at the bottom. Also, I understanding that off-field ranking is subjective, but what weighting are they using for the criteria listed when an Ohio State team two years off a bowl ban, under probation, with scholarship reductions, is listed on the Admirable side?
08-28-2014 12:33 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

Just a big fail.

UCF's APR is great, but I can't argue with them dinging us on the current scholarship restrictions and student fees used for athletics. I'm guessing the subjective "ick" factor listed actually accounts for 90% of the score. I'm not sure how FSU ended up close to Penn State and UNC... the crab legs? Is that it?

The on the field though is way off. Of all the sources listed, I don't think UCF is ranked lower than 50 and most have UCF in or near the top 25.

The chart is just wrong.
08-28-2014 12:33 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(08-28-2014 12:33 PM)RobUCF Wrote:  Might as have thrown darts at a board. The power ranking doesn't appear to correlate to any of the ranking services referenced at the bottom. Also, I understanding that off-field ranking is subjective, but what weighting are they using for the criteria listed when an Ohio State team two years off a bowl ban, under probation, with scholarship reductions, is listed on the Admirable side?

Check out UGA. Probably kicked off more kids for trouble with drugs and the law than anyone else in the offseason. Yet they are more admirable than Air Force?
08-28-2014 12:37 PM
Advertisement

Philosocoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Houston

08-28-2014 12:39 PM
TN Knightfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF Knights
Oh, and apparently Northwestern is the MOST admirable program in the country because they're moving towards unionizing. Give me a break.
08-28-2014 12:41 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
First... Realize this is "perception"

Second... ECU's placement is really pretty good. ECU has cultivated a "bad-ass" image that goes along with the Pirate mascot, so their ranking on the "Despicable" axis I don't find troubling. If they start rattling off 11 win seasons, their "Powerhouse" rate will climb.

Third... If there is one team/program that I think is grossly mis-represented, it would be Minnesota, which should (IMO) be right at the cross-hairs... the MEH! position. Not a powerhouse, not a weakling, not admired, not hated or feared. Just "MEH!". That's where NOBODY really wants to be...
08-28-2014 12:57 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(08-28-2014 12:41 PM)TN Knightfan Wrote:  Oh, and apparently Northwestern is the MOST admirable program in the country because they're moving towards unionizing. Give me a break.

Apparently you don't know much about Northwestern. Great school, great student athletes.
08-28-2014 01:01 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
In 48 hours fantasyland closes for the season
08-28-2014 01:02 PM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
08-28-2014 01:03 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-28-2014 12:57 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  First... Realize this is "perception"

Second... ECU's placement is really pretty good. ECU has cultivated a "bad-ass" image that goes along with the Pirate mascot, so their ranking on the "Despicable" axis I don't find troubling. If they start rattling off 11 win seasons, their "Powerhouse" rate will climb.

Third... If there is one team/program that I think is grossly mis-represented, it would be Minnesota, which should (IMO) be right at the cross-hairs... the MEH! position. Not a powerhouse, not a weakling, not admired, not hated or feared. Just "MEH!". That's where NOBODY really wants to be...

It is cool if they just consider ECU a "bad ass". But look at this years Fulmer Cup. We got 2 TOTAL points. Which funny enough, tied us with USF with the MOST points in the AAC. We were the only two programs to get dinged (which is GOOD).
08-28-2014 01:08 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-28-2014 12:57 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  First... Realize this is "perception"

???? Bad-ass image ?????? Maybe on the field, but not off, not by a long shot.
08-28-2014 01:08 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I'm kinda confused by any rating system that has Ohio State and Auburn anywhere near the "admirable" category.
08-28-2014 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.