Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTSA with 39 seniors
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
UTSA with 39 seniors
I'm a little worried about playing these guys. They lose their QB but the guy who replaced him is a senior and they have seniors at all but 3 positions on both sides of the ball, the exceptions being Juniors. UTSA is fast, well coached, and hung around with us until the 3rd quarter last year. They are unafraid so hopefully we don't take them too lightly.

I've never heard of a team with 39 seniors.
08-22-2014 10:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: UTSA with 39 seniors
Don't underestimate the need for a good QB. Remember the Keenum to Piland transition. Then JOK came in, and we suddenly became good again.

We'll be able to score whenever we want. If they plan on hanging around, their QB better be as good as Sosa. If I had to bet, I'd say he isn't.
08-22-2014 11:05 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
They respect Houston to much, of course they're gonna be pumped... This is their (UTSA) Super Bowl they know if they don't bring their A game here might as well return to FCS, their coach is probably telling them this and fired them up this way.

Sure, they're gonna try and keep up with Houston as much as they can through out the game, but Houston got this, you'll see.

Go Coogs!!!
08-22-2014 11:06 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(08-22-2014 11:06 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  They respect Houston to much, of course they're gonna be pumped... This is their (UTSA) Super Bowl they know if they don't bring their A game here might as well return to FCS, their coach is probably telling them this and fired them up this way.

Sure, they're gonna try and keep up with Houston as much as they can through out the game, but Houston got this, you'll see.

Go Coogs!!!
We respect the Coogs but this is far from our Super Bowl. We have Oklahoma St and Arizona on the schedule.

UTSA will bring it next Friday. If UH doesn't match intensity it could get ugly fast. 04-rock

I'll be there cheering my Runners on. I'm excited about christening the new stadium.
08-22-2014 11:27 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 11:05 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Don't underestimate the need for a good QB. Remember the Keenum to Piland transition. Then JOK came in, and we suddenly became good again.

We'll be able to score whenever we want. If they plan on hanging around, their QB better be as good as Sosa. If I had to bet, I'd say he isn't.

Our defense has improved substantially over last year. The Defense is much deeper which is vital in CFB. Coogs won't score at will this year. I expect a 31-35 type game.
08-22-2014 11:31 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
UTSA with 39 seniors
(08-22-2014 11:31 PM)SApuro Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 11:05 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Don't underestimate the need for a good QB. Remember the Keenum to Piland transition. Then JOK came in, and we suddenly became good again.

Our defense has improved substantially over last year. The Defense is much deeper which is vital in CFB. Coogs won't score at will this year. I expect a 31-35 type game.

Yeah, I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-22-2014 11:32 PM
Advertisement

Bg151 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston
Last years results mean nothing this year. UH only used 1/3 of their playbook last year due to the sudden change to a true Freshman QB. With O'Korn taking control of the entire playbook this year, UH offense is going to be unstoppable.
08-22-2014 11:32 PM
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
I feel ya UTSA apparently you have 3 super bowls this year. We had the same last year but only won 2. Its gets taxing as the season goes on playing super bowl after super bowl.

Dont sleep on UTSA.
08-22-2014 11:36 PM
NTXCoog Offline
1st String

(08-22-2014 10:34 PM)willhclark Wrote:  I'm a little worried about playing these guys. They lose their QB but the guy who replaced him is a senior and they have seniors at all but 3 positions on both sides of the ball, the exceptions being Juniors. UTSA is fast, well coached, and hung around with us until the 3rd quarter last year. They are unafraid so hopefully we don't take them too lightly.

Are none of the underclassmen talented enough to beat out any of the seniors? We had seniors last year who didn't start because underclassmen were better. Most schools have some underclassmen playing over seniors because they're better.
08-22-2014 11:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

Granted I hope UH takes care of business.

But I imagine if Coker has any gas left if the tank it be as good a time as ever to parlay this into a better gig.(Not sure what commitments he has to the University)

Regardless it will be a mess to clean up after graduation/eligibility runs dry this season.
08-22-2014 11:44 PM
SApuro Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 11:38 PM)NTXCoog Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 10:34 PM)willhclark Wrote:  I'm a little worried about playing these guys. They lose their QB but the guy who replaced him is a senior and they have seniors at all but 3 positions on both sides of the ball, the exceptions being Juniors. UTSA is fast, well coached, and hung around with us until the 3rd quarter last year. They are unafraid so hopefully we don't take them too lightly.

Are none of the underclassmen talented enough to beat out any of the seniors? We had seniors last year who didn't start because underclassmen were better. Most schools have some underclassmen playing over seniors because they're better.

UTSA runs this weird rotation where we rotate full line ups. It reminds me of hockey lines coming in and out of the game. You'll see 4-5 guys swap out throughout the possession. A lot of FR/SO don't start but they get as many snaps as the starters.
08-22-2014 11:46 PM
Advertisement

SApuro Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 11:44 PM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  Granted I hope UH takes care of business.

But I imagine if Coker has any gas left if the tank it be as good a time as ever to parlay this into a better gig.(Not sure what commitments he has to the University)

Regardless it will be a mess to clean up after graduation/eligibility runs dry this season.

Coker just signed a 5 year extension. He is here for the long haul. The underclass man are far more talented than the SRs but we have a ton of guys that have started for 3 years.
08-22-2014 11:49 PM
JacksonDell'Abate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Noine
KFCU will lose by 3+ touchdowns...
08-23-2014 01:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
correcamino Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA
(08-22-2014 11:32 PM)Bg151 Wrote:  Last years results mean nothing this year. UH only used 1/3 of their playbook last year due to the sudden change to a true Freshman QB. With O'Korn taking control of the entire playbook this year, UH offense is going to be unstoppable.

Works both ways. UTSA's passing defense was atrocious to start the season last year. Since then an Oklahoma transfer has established himself as the team's top corner, another Air Force transfer should help out at the same position, a Baylor transfer established himself as team's top pass rusher and a RS-Freshman earned CUSA All-Freshman honors at the other defensive end spot. The run defense has always been stout.

I expect O'Korn, Greenberry and co. to be better as well but yall are in for a surprise if you expect the UTSA D to lay down.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 02:25 AM by correcamino.)
08-23-2014 02:22 AM
Cougar King Offline
Banned

We'll wipe our asses with UTSA.
08-23-2014 04:15 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 11:49 PM)SApuro Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 11:44 PM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  Granted I hope UH takes care of business.

Coker just signed a 5 year extension. He is here for the long haul. The underclass man are far more talented than the SRs but we have a ton of guys that have started for 3 years.

Contract extensions mean very little at places like UTSA. He would have been foolish to turn down what was offered him. Still does not mean that he will not leave once the first decent offer cones his way.
08-23-2014 05:57 AM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

Houston hired:

1) The 2013 UTSA WR coach Tony Jefferey
2) The 2013 UTSA starting QB Eric Soza as a GA

While I am sure Coker will put in some new wrinkles, I would be shocked if UH doesn't have a very accurate read on UTSA's strengths, weaknesses, schemes and tendencies.
08-23-2014 07:59 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

(08-23-2014 07:59 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Houston hired:

1) The 2013 UTSA WR coach Tony Jefferey
2) The 2013 UTSA starting QB Eric Soza as a GA

While I am sure Coker will put in some new wrinkles, I would be shocked if UH doesn't have a very accurate read on UTSA's strengths, weaknesses, schemes and tendencies.

Not to mention UTSA' old OC Travis Bush. UH has taken a bunch of our coaching talent.

Runners had a larger amount of closed practices this year. I suspect to go over new wrinkles. You can have the whole playbook, have insider knowledge but if you don't perform on the field what's the use.
08-23-2014 08:20 AM
Dark Knight Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF and AAC
I was at the game last year were we narrowly escaped UH with a miracle goal line stand as time ran out. That was the one game that scared me, including Louisville and SCAR. UH's D is legit and with an improved offense, there will be no worries against UTSA. Sure, they will have their game face on but it's a different level of play. Also, weren't most of UTSA's seniors recruited before the jump to FBS?[/align]
08-23-2014 08:34 AM
NTXCoog Offline
1st String

(08-22-2014 11:46 PM)SApuro Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 11:38 PM)NTXCoog Wrote:  

UTSA runs this weird rotation where we rotate full line ups. It reminds me of hockey lines coming in and out of the game. You'll see 4-5 guys swap out throughout the possession. A lot of FR/SO don't start but they get as many snaps as the starters.

I hope that's not the plan on defense if UH is back to full, hurry up mode. In 2012 when Bush took over as interim OC, we had the fastest plays per minute of any team from 2008-2012, averaging a play every 18 seconds. I couldn't find full season stats for 2013, but after 3 games, UH was down to a play every 19.6 seconds.

Not going to get many substitutes in if we're back to that pace.
08-23-2014 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.