AAC runs same full-page ad in USA TODAY
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
AAC runs same full-page ad in USA TODAY
[Image: Bvp2g5FIEAAaKEj.jpg]

The American
‏@American_Conf
Make sure you pick up a copy of @USATODAY and open up to the sports section #AmericanRising
08-22-2014 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
RE: AAC runs same full-page ad in USA TODAY
Very cool. If Mr. Aresco reads this blog ever, I tip my hat to you sir. Well done and thanks for fighting for us. It's great to have you in our corner. Whatever we paid to get out of Conference USA it was worth it. If we were not in this league, I would feel very pessimistic about where we were headed. Imo, there are only two non Power conferences that are relevant in College Football now, us and the MWC. If we are not in the P5 conference, this is the best place for ECU to be.
08-22-2014 11:59 AM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
Aresco should run it in the Salt Lake Tribune. Maybe if he can get BYU fans to buy into the strength of the AAC, the BYU administration will think more seriously about joining the AAC.
04-cheers
08-22-2014 12:00 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2014 12:00 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  Aresco should run it in the Salt Lake Tribune. Maybe if he can get BYU fans to buy into the strength of the AAC, the BYU administration will think more seriously about joining the AAC.
04-cheers

He tried living on SLC media and BYU TV for a couple months this spring/summer.

Doesn't look like it worked out.
08-22-2014 12:00 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 12:00 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 12:00 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  Aresco should run it in the Salt Lake Tribune. Maybe if he can get BYU fans to buy into the strength of the AAC, the BYU administration will think more seriously about joining the AAC.
04-cheers

Aresco should try again. The situation has changed since then with: A) the NCAA granting the P5 conferences more autonomy, and B) the ACC and SEC stating that they don't consider BYU a "power" team for scheduling purposes. BYU is in a weaker place now than they were this past spring/summer.
08-22-2014 12:04 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(08-22-2014 12:04 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  Aresco should try again. The situation has changed since then with: A) the NCAA granting the P5 conferences more autonomy, and B) the ACC and SEC stating that they don't consider BYU a "power" team for scheduling purposes. BYU is in a weaker place now than they were this past spring/summer.

I agree that Aresco should try again.

However, the ACC and SEC positions were announced in mid-May. Aresco made his statement in the Utah media about the "quasi-affiliation" between the AAC-BYU at the end of May, after the ACC and SEC positions were known.

So, the main thing that has changed is the P5 autonomy vote - which is no small thing.

I think both BYU and the AAC members will see what new rules come out of the new P5 autonomy and then re-examine the landscape. In the meantime, let's play some good football and collectively win a bunch of games!
08-22-2014 12:32 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
on one hand if the AAC is not doing a power campaign they would of been bonehead idiots, but on the other hand claiming to be a power conference is laughable at best.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 12:38 PM by john01992.)
08-22-2014 12:37 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(08-22-2014 12:04 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
04-cheers

Aresco should try again. The situation has changed since then with: A) the NCAA granting the P5 conferences more autonomy, and B) the ACC and SEC stating that they don't consider BYU a "power" team for scheduling purposes. BYU is in a weaker place now than they were this past spring/summer.

don't forget that ND just canceled the remaining 4 games in their series
08-22-2014 12:38 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 12:32 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 12:04 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  Aresco should try again. The situation has changed since then with: A) the NCAA granting the P5 conferences more autonomy, and B) the ACC and SEC stating that they don't consider BYU a "power" team for scheduling purposes. BYU is in a weaker place now than they were this past spring/summer.

I agree that Aresco should try again.

However, the ACC and SEC positions were announced in mid-May. Aresco made his statement in the Utah media about the "quasi-affiliation" between the AAC-BYU at the end of May, after the ACC and SEC positions were known.

So, the main thing that has changed is the P5 autonomy vote - which is no small thing.

I think both BYU and the AAC members will see what new rules come out of the new P5 autonomy and then re-examine the landscape. In the meantime, let's play some good football and collectively win a bunch of games!

I think that BYU should join the AAC considering the new landscape. There may be some hesitation on BYU's end as they may still view themselves as "somewhere in the middle" between the P5 and G5. The problem, though, is that the new structure essentially replaces the "middle" with a firmly drawn line in the sand.

Joining the AAC will not make BYU less attractive to the Big 12 in the long run. BYU is BYU and their unique appeal would not be watered down by joining the best of the G5 conferences. They would still be at the top of the Big Ten's expansion list for the future.

Anyway, I am pulling for BYU to do well this year (except on August 29 at UConn!).
08-22-2014 12:42 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2014 12:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  on one hand if the AAC is not doing a power campaign they would of been bonehead idiots, but on the other hand claiming to be a power conference is laughable at best.

How? He didn't just say we're a power without making a case.

There are clear facts that he is presenting to support his case.
08-22-2014 12:42 PM
coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(08-22-2014 11:55 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  [Image: Bvp2g5FIEAAaKEj.jpg]

The American
‏@American_Conf
Make sure you pick up a copy of @USATODAY and open up to the sports section #AmericanRising

[Image: post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-...286be6.gif]
08-22-2014 12:43 PM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

(08-22-2014 12:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  on one hand if the AAC is not doing a power campaign they would of been bonehead idiots, but on the other hand claiming to be a power conference is laughable at best.

I don't know if it is that laughable. UCF DESTROYED the Big 12 champ in the Fiesta Bowl and, in the NCAA Tourney, UConn went through the gauntlet of Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan State, Florida, and Kentucky to win the national championship.

Nothing about those accomplishments sounds like something that the MWC, CUSA, MAC, or Sun Belt could ever accomplish.
08-22-2014 12:48 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(08-22-2014 12:48 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

I don't know if it is that laughable. UCF DESTROYED the Big 12 champ in the Fiesta Bowl and, in the NCAA Tourney, UConn went through the gauntlet of Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan State, Florida, and Kentucky to win the national championship.

Nothing about those accomplishments sounds like something that the MWC, CUSA, MAC, or Sun Belt could ever accomplish.

I don't see anything wrong using the term "DESTYOYED"... If it was the other way around, I bet the B12 will use unpleasant terms to further flex their weak @ss muscles.

In times as this (You're weak, I'm stronger), this lueague needs to flex its own muscles... It's on - Bring it. 04-rock
08-22-2014 02:58 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
The American
‏@American_Conf

He is making the case for the conference in the national media. USA Today is a good choice and the timing is perfect. Our schools will have to perform on the field this year in OOC against the Autonomy 5 in order to cement the perception, starting with Temple on August 28th.

Fire June

08-22-2014 03:10 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 03:16 PM by Chappy.)
08-22-2014 03:12 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Agree, only conf that won BCS games or own FB, BB, or womens BB titles should be able to claim power status.
08-22-2014 03:54 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-22-2014 03:12 PM)Chappy Wrote:  He should try putting it in a major publication instead of social media. I don't even know how to read twitter!!!!!

Who would have thought that a Tulane guy in CT would have been so influential?
08-22-2014 04:04 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Is that Friday's edition?
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 04:21 PM by Native Georgian.)
08-22-2014 04:20 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-22-2014 12:04 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
04-cheers

Great point....as BYU is at a much "weaker" national position for the future today than they were a year ago.
08-22-2014 05:01 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
I would perfer "American Power"..... Since he's making such a bold statement, why not rename the conference, "American Power".....
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 05:19 PM by Underdog.)
08-22-2014 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.