Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SOT: Army TV Deal Expires This Year
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
While researching which FBS TV deal is next up for NBC/NBCSN to get (BTN is likely to keep current partners or withdraw completely from ESPN) I stumbled across the fact that Army's deal ends this season.

Is this a possible indication that they may be joining or thinking about joining a conference? If not NBC/NBCSN gaining those rights to go along with Notre Dame could be a solid offering until CUSA is back on the market (next FBS property coming up until 2019)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
08-19-2014 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: SOT: Army TV Deal Expires This Year
(08-19-2014 08:54 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  While researching which FBS TV deal is next up for NBC/NBCSN to get (BTN is likely to keep current partners or withdraw completely from ESPN) I stumbled across the fact that Army's deal ends this season.

Is this a possible indication that they may be joining or thinking about joining a conference? If not NBC/NBCSN gaining those rights to go along with Notre Dame could be a solid offering until CUSA is back on the market (next FBS property coming up until 2019)

If they plan on joining next year it would have happened all ready. I really think we have a good shot at Army though over the next 5 years. We have the "American" branding and Navy is all aboard. I'd love for the trifecta with Air Force. That is some political punch for our league.
08-19-2014 09:09 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
BYU > Air Force > Army

That is all
08-19-2014 09:22 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-19-2014 08:54 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  While researching which FBS TV deal is next up for NBC/NBCSN to get (BTN is likely to keep current partners or withdraw completely from ESPN) I stumbled across the fact that Army's deal ends this season.

The Big-10 comes on the market in 2016.
08-19-2014 09:23 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(08-19-2014 09:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Read the first paragraph. My opinion is B1G will withdraw from ESPN and go all in on the Fox partnership.

08-19-2014 10:05 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(08-19-2014 10:05 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 09:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Read the first paragraph. My opinion is B1G will withdraw from ESPN and go all in on the Fox partnership.

If they do that, it should help us leverage for a higher price tag as they invest in their product. (Espn)

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-19-2014 10:13 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(08-19-2014 09:22 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  BYU > Air Force > Army

That is all

Take AF off that list.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/0...U620140803

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/03/air...r-reports/

They've turned to crap recently.
08-19-2014 10:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
I figure that West Point will resign with CBS Sports Network. I would prefer that we sign with Fox, but I doubt Gus Johnson would call Army games.
08-19-2014 10:54 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
The AAC will be sitting at 12 next year. Is there really a need to expand? I would not be surprised if BYU try to cut a deal with the AAC like ND. Play five teams and get part of the bowl lineup except for Miami Bowl where there could be an opponent if no rematch. Just a thought. Also, if Hawaii folds, that could provide an opportunity to have BYU back in the MWC with a Boise St. like deal.
08-20-2014 07:34 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(08-20-2014 07:34 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  The AAC will be sitting at 12 next year. Is there really a need to expand? I would not be surprised if BYU try to cut a deal with the AAC like ND. Play five teams and get part of the bowl lineup except for Miami Bowl where there could be an opponent if no rematch. Just a thought. Also, if Hawaii folds, that could provide an opportunity to have BYU back in the MWC with a Boise St. like deal.

I find it more likely that one of NMSU or Idaho fills the void left by Hawai'i. Maybe both + UTEP to make 14 if they so desired.
08-20-2014 07:36 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(08-19-2014 09:22 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  BYU > Army > Air Force

FTFY

You don't ever hear of an annual Navy-Air Force game. At least not to the same extent that Army-Navy is publicized.

That game alone is worth millions.
08-20-2014 07:38 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(08-20-2014 07:38 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 09:22 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  BYU > Army > Air Force

FTFY

You don't ever hear of an annual Navy-Air Force game. At least not to the same extent that Army-Navy is publicized.

That game alone is worth millions.

Agreed, Army is a much more valuable and traditional brand than Air Force and our preferences should be Army first, if that is our plan for expansion...

I wonder how the Army Navy game with change with at least Navy in a conference now. They will not be able to play Army during the traditional date/time slot. It will have to be the last game of the regular season, the week before CGs are played.
08-20-2014 07:51 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

The only Army game of value is locked up until 2018.

"In 2008, shortly before the boom in college football media rights began, CBS inked a deal to extend its broadcast rights for the Army-Navy game through 2018."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/...in-sports/
08-20-2014 08:20 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

That is all

Of course, but all 3 would be a home run.
08-20-2014 08:32 AM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(08-20-2014 08:32 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

That is all

I used to think that also but I’ve started thinking about this differently from a purely business standpoint.

BYU and Army are no brainers. The Westchester NY / NYC market, the exposure of having Army and NAVY, BYU’s football history and exposure for the conference that their affiliation with the LDS church would bring make them both potentially lucrative moves for the AAC.

So say that both programs join and ESPN renegotiates or offers a new deal that’s an absolute home run at say 150,000,000 per year for 10 years. That’s just over 10 million per program per year (not factoring in partial shares for football only members like BYU, Army and Navy).

Would having the AFA and program #16 add enough value for ESPN to add another 21,000,000 per year for 10 years to the contract?

Lets take realistic numbers, 6,000,000 per year per program for 10 years with Army and BYU would be an 84,000,000 per year contact, does AFA and #16 move the needle 14% to 96,000,000 per year? If they don’t all that is happening is a dilution of revenue. Army and BYU have something of value to sell the networks, AFA not so much and #16 is a tag along to fill out the conference.

I’m starting to think that while having all 3 service academies would be nice having 14 with BYU and Army is clean, football only (no worries about a home for AFA’s Olympic sports), less travel and would be the most lucrative in the long run for the AAC.

It’s just a thought.
08-20-2014 09:50 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-20-2014 09:50 AM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  

That is all

I used to think that also but I’ve started thinking about this differently from a purely business standpoint.

BYU and Army are no brainers. The Westchester NY / NYC market, the exposure of having Army and NAVY, BYU’s football history and exposure for the conference that their affiliation with the LDS church would bring make them both potentially lucrative moves for the AAC.

So say that both programs join and ESPN renegotiates or offers a new deal that’s an absolute home run at say 150,000,000 per year for 10 years. That’s just over 10 million per program per year (not factoring in partial shares for football only members like BYU, Army and Navy).

Would having the AFA and program #16 add enough value for ESPN to add another 21,000,000 per year for 10 years to the contract?

Lets take realistic numbers, 6,000,000 per year per program for 10 years with Army and BYU would be an 84,000,000 per year contact, does AFA and #16 move the needle 14% to 96,000,000 per year? If they don’t all that is happening is a dilution of revenue. Army and BYU have something of value to sell the networks, AFA not so much and #16 is a tag along to fill out the conference.

I’m starting to think that while having all 3 service academies would be nice having 14 with BYU and Army is clean, football only (no worries about a home for AFA’s Olympic sports), less travel and would be the most lucrative in the long run for the AAC.

It’s just a thought.

Here is the trouble with Army and Navy in the same conference. Thier game would have to be played prior to championship weekend. Would the Army-Navy game be as valuable of it wasn't played the week after championship weekend where it is really the only FBS football on that Saturday?

Here is what I think we can do for now---sign a scheduling agreement with Army. Sign a Notre Dame agreement with BYU. We get 5 games a year vs Army. We get 5 games a year vs BYU. BYU joins as a full Olympic member and gets access to all our bowls (exept the G5 access bowl slot).

Now you have 10 games involving Army or BYU on your schedule every year. A solid nationally followed BYU basketball program is now part of the AAC. The cost? We only have to split the media deal for a 1/13th share of the basketball side of revenue to BYU. But when it comes time to negotiate, we now have 5 extra guranteed national interest football games in our inventory every year + we added a nationally followed basketball program that regularly makes the NCAA tournament.

With this type of deal, future western expansion becomes much easier should we ever want to raid the MW for 4 members to become a 16 member national conference.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 10:10 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-20-2014 10:06 AM
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(08-20-2014 10:06 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 09:50 AM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  

That is all

It’s just a thought.

Here is the trouble with Army and Navy in the same conference. Thier game would have to be played prior to championship weekend. Would the Army-Navy game be as valuable of it wasn't played the week after championship weekend where it is really the only FBS football on that Saturday?

Here is what I think we can do for now---sign a scheduling agreement with Army. Sign a Notre Dame agreement with BYU. We get 5 games a year vs Army. We get 5 games a year vs BYU. BYU joins as a full Olympic member and gets access to all our bowls (exept the G5 access bowl slot).

Now you have 10 games involving Army or BYU on your schedule every year. A solid nationally followed BYU basketball program is now part of the AAC. The cost? We only have to split the media deal for a 1/13th share of the basketball side of revenue to BYU. But when it comes time to negotiate, we now have 5 extra guranteed national interest football games in our inventory every year + we added a nationally followed basketball program that regularly makes the NCAA tournament.

With this type of deal, future western expansion becomes much easier should we ever want to raid the MW for 4 members to become a 16 member national conference.

All valid points, but I think with a little creativity and luck the dates of the Army Navy game wouldn’t need to be changed.

Army and Navy would play in opposite divisions, so what if the game was played as an OOC game for both teams on the date it’s currently held? The risks are that either Army or Navy finish in a tie for their division lead, and are still tied after an in division tiebreaker is determined, which I would assume would then revert to an OOC game tiebreaker.

Another option is can the AAC lobby the NCAA because of its historic nature the game be played as an exhibition, or as an official 13th game and kept on the same date?

I am in the minority I know but I’m not one for the scheduling agreement idea. I believe BYU has everything to gain in that scenario with very little cost and very little if anything to lose. They get the scheduling flexibility they need especially during the weeks all the other programs are in the meat of the conference schedule. They get games against solid opponents that wouldn’t hurt their strength of schedule vs. a conference that still consider BYU a power opponent. They get exposure in some of the largest markets in the country. They get access to an AAC bowl all while still holding negotiations with the Big12 for a spot with them.

What does the AAC get? The fans get to see their team play a quality opponent, the schools get some scheduling relief filling their OOC with a solid opponent, but past that it’s nothing that the conference can leverage when negotiating a TV deal, there is no tangible value. The network is going to say what happens when the scheduling agreement runs out? If I were BYU I’m writing a buy out clause in the scheduling agreement if they move to a P5, the addition revenue from a Big12 deal would more than offset the loss.

As far as the Olympic sports it just doesn’t make sense to me for BYU to move them from a conference that they are fine in and increase their travel costs and move basketball into a conference where they run the real risk of being less competitive especially if they have eyes on a P5 spot.

I’m not naïve enough to believe that once BYU (or anyone else for that matter) is a member of the AAC it precludes them form pursuing opportunities to join a P5 conference, it’s just with the signed commitment to the conference as a member comes monetary value in negotiations for the AAC, value I just cant see in a scheduling agreement. I think BYU gets a nice taste of what the AAC has to offer this season, a test drive, past that they should be put in a position to make a decision as to weather they want to be a part of it for football (or all sports if they like) or not.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 11:21 AM by NYCTUFan.)
08-20-2014 10:56 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(08-20-2014 07:36 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 07:34 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  The AAC will be sitting at 12 next year. Is there really a need to expand? I would not be surprised if BYU try to cut a deal with the AAC like ND. Play five teams and get part of the bowl lineup except for Miami Bowl where there could be an opponent if no rematch. Just a thought. Also, if Hawaii folds, that could provide an opportunity to have BYU back in the MWC with a Boise St. like deal.

I find it more likely that one of NMSU or Idaho fills the void left by Hawai'i. Maybe both + UTEP to make 14 if they so desired.

With the guaranteeing degrees thing going around now, the MWC CAN'T afford more mouths to feed... I think they will remain at 11.
08-20-2014 11:19 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
BYU absolutely benefits from an AAC scheduling agreement. No doubt.

I see at least four potential benefits that BYU could bring to the AAC through a scheduling agreement:

1) When the AAC contract is up for renewal or extension, if there are 2-3 games against BYU for the foreseeable future, that would add value to the contract. The BYU-AAC affiliation will produce competitive and exciting matchups that would make ESPN/other TV partners happy. The BYU-AAC games provide additional inventory from which the TV partners can select broadcasts - this can be especially helpful on weekends where the AAC lineup lacks luster;

2) Exposure on the road: When the game is in Provo and under BYU's control, the game would likely be broadcast on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2;

For illustration of points #1 and #2 above, in 2014 the BYU games with UConn, Houston, and UCF are all to be broadcast on ESPN. All of BYU's home games, except for FCS opponents on BYUtv) for the last 3 seasons have been broadcast on one of the ESPN networks or ABC, even including WAC opponents.

3) Schedule variety: BYU-AAC matchups could be sprinkled in through October and November to provide some additional variation and excitement to AAC schedules.

4) An extra bowl game or two to the AAC lineup. The Poinsettia Bowl would absolutely sign on with the AAC/BYU affiliation - both BYU and Navy have played in this bowl recently. The Las Vegas Bowl would also likely sign on with the AAC/BYU affiliation to play a PAC 12 opponent. The option to select either BYU or a top-tier AAC team could replace the MWC - even if it were every other year or so. That's two new bowl alternatives in excellent locations.

The AAC would retain its eligibility into the G5 access bowl slot and would maintain it TV contracts and revenues. It would be a great opportunity to have a formal relationship, to determine whether full BYU membership makes sense for the AAC.

Of course, BYU and the AAC can still test the waters informally by BYU and AAC members individually scheduling future games - which I definitely hope happens, regardless. Then, the main benefit not had is the potential new bowl affiliations.
08-20-2014 11:37 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(08-20-2014 11:19 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  With the guaranteeing degrees thing going around now, the MWC CAN'T afford more mouths to feed... I think they will remain at 11.

Unless they must have 12 teams to stage a conference championship game. Otherwise, I would agree.

I believe that the MWC would seek to add either UTEP or UTSA. Neither Idaho nor NMSU bring much value, either in terms of markets or competitiveness.
08-20-2014 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.