WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New MAC-ESPN deal
BrewtownBronco Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
New MAC-ESPN deal
New MAC, ESPN deal

Why am I not that excited? I will be excited if it leads to more ESPNU Saturday broadcasts (although I doubt it).
04-deal
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 08:31 AM by BrewtownBronco.)
08-19-2014 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Broncobelt Offline
All American

RE: New MAC-ESPN deal
(08-19-2014 08:31 AM)BrewtownBronco Wrote:  New MAC, ESPN deal

Why am I not that excited? I will be excited if it leads to more ESPNU Saturday broadcasts (although I doubt it).
04-deal

The lack of enthusiasm would be driven by the statement regarding multiple midweek football games in November. I'll watch them when they are on, but hate when WMU has to play in them. And of course, the empty stands on week nights are always an embarrassment.

Amazed that the MAC committed to a contract through 2026-27. That's a long time and a lot can happen. Takes away a lot of flexibility the MAC might have in the changing landscape of college athletics. But then again, that may be what drove them to wanting a long term contract. Still, don't see it as a good thing for the MAC - long term.
08-19-2014 09:10 AM
WMUSTL Offline
Water Engineer

(08-19-2014 09:10 AM)Broncobelt Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 08:31 AM)BrewtownBronco Wrote:  New MAC, ESPN deal

04-deal

The lack of enthusiasm would be driven by the statement regarding multiple midweek football games in November. I'll watch them when they are on, but hate when WMU has to play in them. And of course, the empty stands on week nights are always an embarrassment.

Amazed that the MAC committed to a contract through 2026-27. That's a long time and a lot can happen. Takes away a lot of flexibility the MAC might have in the changing landscape of college athletics. But then again, that may be what drove them to wanting a long term contract. Still, don't see it as a good thing for the MAC - long term.

2026-2027 is a crazy long contract given where college football is heading. I wonder if there is an out clause if MAC teams get gobbled up by expanding P5 conferences or if, you know, the NCAA loses all control over FBS football (which is where I think we are headed).
08-19-2014 10:34 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Its rumored that each team not the entire league will get 1 million a year. Consider it will be needed since the P5 will probably not schedule as many MAC teams in the future no more big payday games and expenses like unlimited meals and some sort of incidental expenses will likely be approved for MAC scholarship players. This deal offsets some of the expenses.
08-19-2014 10:47 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Those midweek games are driven by the sports book industry. Outside of MAC diehards the guys watching those games have money on them.

ESPNU will be reserved for P5 toilet bowl games.

"This week on ESPNU Indiana vs Eastern Kentucky!"
08-19-2014 11:52 AM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(08-19-2014 10:47 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Its rumored that each team not the entire league will get 1 million a year. Consider it will be needed since the P5 will probably not schedule as many MAC teams in the future no more big payday games and expenses like unlimited meals and some sort of incidental expenses will likely be approved for MAC scholarship players. This deal offsets some of the expenses.

I hope that's true, because you're right about the P5 conferences not scheduling MAC schools. I still don't believe MSU is coming to Waldo next year, or that we are headed to Columbus in '16. I fully expect both to pull out.
08-19-2014 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Michigan State is not going to pull out of that game. It'd be a PR nightmare for them. Ohio State... we'll see.
08-19-2014 12:30 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Who outside of a few Bronco fans would care? They could pull out anytime they want and not feel a thing negatively PR wise.
08-19-2014 12:36 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
Man this is a LOOOOOONG contract. As has been mentioned, the positives that I see are if in fact each school gets $1 million per year from the deal. If it is in fact used to fund the football program or athletics in general, that is huge. It could be look at much like going to play 2 Big 10 paycheck games per season. And with the new 4 team playoff and strength of schedule coming in to play, plus the new P5 conference alignment, I think we are going to need as much funding as we can get. So from that respect I guess its a good thing that the MAC has tied us into that and locked in that funding.

On a negative note. Whoever mentioned the empty stands of mid week games is right now. I have questioned several times if these games are actually helping or hurting the perception of the MAC and its recruiting. You can say that its better than not being on and seen at all, and I would agree. But I can also see a potential recruit watching a mid week game and seeing a perceived 50 people in the stands and being totally turned off.

As for MAC teams getting gobbled up by P5 conferences, I really don't see any that would really have enough appeal for any of the big boys to even be interested. The MAC is what it is, a mid major that occasionally bumps off a BCS school or that has that isolated run much like NIU the last few years, but not much more.
08-19-2014 12:45 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

Just reading through DD's noontime chat, which by the way he gave quite a bit of insight into a ton of different topics revolving around the football program. If you don't think his articles are in depth and informative enough, I suggest popping in to his weekly discussions on MLive, I learned quite a bit just reading through the thread after it was done.

Anyways, one of the topics was this new MAC/ESPN deal. Sounds like each school will bring in about $650,000 from this deal.
08-19-2014 01:06 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(08-19-2014 01:06 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  If you don't think his articles are in depth and informative enough, I suggest popping in to his weekly discussions on MLive, I learned quite a bit just reading through the thread after it was done.

Without a doubt, DD should have driven to cover MAC Media Day not only on his own time, but on his own dime.

Sincerely,

EA3
08-19-2014 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 01:29 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 01:06 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  If you don't think his articles are in depth and informative enough, I suggest popping in to his weekly discussions on MLive, I learned quite a bit just reading through the thread after it was done.

Without a doubt, DD should have driven to cover MAC Media Day not only on his own time, but on his own dime.

Sincerely,

EA3

I just don't get this line of thinking where we feel it's acceptable that this happened, whether or not MLive did or did not pay for gas money (yes, that is literally the only cost involved).

I hope that if Mickey C. ever reads or hears about this, he understands how cheap and embarrassing this makes our community newspaper look that we can't even fork over $40 for the one day of the year where media members get full access to players, coaches, and admin. in the MAC. It's truly a sad state of journalism these days at the Gazette.

I shouldn't be so hard on DD, because it's the MLive model that really makes this infuriating. I still don't think status quo should be acceptable either. But he's been doing a nice job since fall practices started up. Personally, I could go without the Tuesday chats though. I'd rather have a quality in-depth article written in that 1-2 hour time frame. Either setting allows for dialogue in the comments section.
08-19-2014 01:39 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(08-19-2014 01:39 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I just don't get this line of thinking where we feel it's acceptable that this happened, whether or not MLive did or did not pay for gas money (yes, that is literally the only cost involved).

No, gas was not the only cost involved. Time = money. Same with wages.
08-19-2014 01:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 01:45 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 01:39 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I just don't get this line of thinking where we feel it's acceptable that this happened, whether or not MLive did or did not pay for gas money (yes, that is literally the only cost involved).

No, gas was not the only cost involved. Time = money. Same with wages.

I strongly disagree. In this case, time is an investment. An investment earns you money in the long run.
08-19-2014 01:49 PM
thegeneral Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU, OU
Sign me up for one of those investments that don't cost any money!
08-19-2014 01:55 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 01:29 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  

Sincerely,

EA3

LOL. Good to see you still hang on to the huge leap you are making...and subsequently choose to still be a prick.

I do think DD has been doing a good job lately.

Hey Charm...DD has been to a few practices lately...that's on his own time right? Damn...I can't believe he works for free. Oh the humanity!
08-19-2014 02:08 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Quote:I understand that getting coverage could increase Bronco popularity but we ain't UM. The only people to care to read that stuff are the 10 losers here and the other 5 losers that post on MLive.

I resemble that. But FU anyway.

Signed

Loser.
08-19-2014 02:23 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

Oh sh!t. Sorry for even bringing it up DD.

Here comes another 20 pages of the same old crap.

Personally, I appreciated todays chat. And I will leave it at that.
08-19-2014 02:31 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 02:17 PM)Nacho Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 01:39 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I hope that if Mickey C. ever reads or hears about this, he understands how cheap and embarrassing this makes our community newspaper look that we can't even fork over $40 for the one day of the year where media members get full access to players, coaches, and admin. in the MAC. It's truly a sad state of journalism these days at the Gazette.

Lol $40.00. Where do you live? Gas that cheap over there? Plus, it's a long day, if you want the writer to have articles out there the next day you best get him a hotel room. Oh yeah, you gotta pay your writer his wage too. The dude needs to eat doesn't he? Add another zero there, pal. $400.00 min. Not worth it in my opinion when there are multiple other ways for people who care to read about what happened at the media day. I understand that getting coverage could increase Bronco popularity but we ain't UM. The only people to care to read that stuff are the 10 losers here and the other 5 losers that post on MLive.

250 miles round trip is less than $50 if you have a car that averages at least 20 mpg. Do the math. It's a day trip to Detroit for media day. It's even less to travel to Ypsi for a 7 pm game. They even have free food for the media at both venues. No hotel needed for either.
08-19-2014 02:34 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 02:31 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  Oh sh!t. Sorry for even bringing it up DD.

Here comes another 20 pages of the same old crap.

Personally, I appreciated todays chat. And I will leave it at that.

Issue should be put to rest. Wish I resisted responding already.
08-19-2014 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.