Nice recap of scrimmage
08-16-2014 04:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
RE: Nice recap of scrimmage
(08-16-2014 04:32 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...cart_river

Quote:Defensive line

This group has a strong showing Saturday, headlined by sophomore Jamar Simpkins, who played a lot last year and appears to have bulked up in the offseason. Fleck could be heard praising Simpkins after he disrupted several run plays.

I thought Simpkins played pretty good down the stretch, especially for an undersized true freshmen. My gut feeling is some of the kids who played last year as freshmen are going to make significant improvement. Guys like Lewis, McKinney, Curle, Boykin got a lot of reps in as freshmen, and if you believe what you read, all have bulked up.

Throw in the return of Brandt and Braverman from injuries, along with the addition of some solid RS freshmen in Darius Phillips and Andre Turner and things are starting to look brighter.

Say what you want about Terrell, he's a returning starting QB, something BSU, NIU and UT won't have (although I think UT will suffer the least in that bunch).

Cubit was always good at making QB's better. It was definitely his area of expertise. Hopefully, Fleck's background at receiver will have a similar effect at that position.

I'm a little concerned that Okafor will see the field this year. Even if he has the talent to play this year, he was 16 years old last week, and he's punching that clock at 275. Hopefully, he redshirts. If he's as good as the "experts" and "coaches who offered" thought he was he could be a next level player.
08-16-2014 04:47 PM
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Dip, thanks for your analysis.

Always good to hear what others think about players and their positions.

Not being there, I really appreciate those who have the eyes on the players and can make evaluations.

Anyone else who has gone to scrimmages, your viewpoints are valued.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 07:09 PM by bostonbronco.)
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Nice recap of scrimmage
Great recap by DD. Very much appreciated

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-16-2014 07:01 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2014 06:18 PM)bostonbronco Wrote:  Dip, thanks for your analysis.

Not being there, I really appreciate those who have the eyes on the players and can make evaluations.

I used live in Winchell, and it was 5 minutes to Waldo. They also did two a days so there were a lot evening workouts. Back then they were almost glad to see you showing interest. After they got to know who you were people on the staff (not coaches) would sit and talk about how different players were developing, and such. Now that we're "elite" I don't feel like jumping through all the hoops it takes to get into practice. If nothing else it's made me appreciate Hawkins more.
08-16-2014 07:10 PM
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:

David, always appreciate your articles. Keep up the great coverage.
08-16-2014 07:10 PM
Advertisement

BCBronco Offline
All American

Thanks David. Good write up.
08-16-2014 08:52 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

(08-16-2014 07:10 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

I used live in Winchell, and it was 5 minutes to Waldo. They also did two a days so there were a lot evening workouts. Back then they were almost glad to see you showing interest. After they got to know who you were people on the staff (not coaches) would sit and talk about how different players were developing, and such. Now that we're "elite" I don't feel like jumping through all the hoops it takes to get into practice. If nothing else it's made me appreciate Hawkins more.
Those were the days. I was in Seelye one spring practice watching OL DL work and Darnell came over and casually said to be careful and keep your eyes open, those are some real big boys and they don't change direction very good. Southern twang. Then he chatted for a couple minutes they had got a new brand of knee brace and made the decision everyone would wear one. The next fall he got fired.
08-16-2014 08:59 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
You guys rock. Now I'm actually getting into this! I'm never bagging on Hawkins again btw.

AFM!!! 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 09:20 PM by DesertBronco.)
08-16-2014 09:18 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Were starters held out because they're injured or to avoid injury?

Or simply because coaches wanted to work with current back-ups?
08-17-2014 07:54 AM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

Made the scrimmage yesterday and agree with CD that Terrrill looks game ready. Head and shoulders above the other two. His first two throws were off the mark, but after that he settled down. Showed a lot of poise in the pocket. Once when the pocket collapsed he made a nice scramble for good yardage.

I did not see who played center, but there were numerous problems with the snaps. Everything from balls going over the QB's head, to hitting the turf in front of the QB and hard snaps the QB (Stewart in this case) could not handle.

I know it is only a scrimmage but did see two problems that plagued the offense last year: Numerous offensive penalties and limited production in the running game. (Chance was in for only two plays, but did look good.)

Can't say enough about Braverman's play. He looks like he will be a weapon this fall.

Defense made a number of nice plays. They had 3 interceptions (don't think any were from Terrell but not sure on that score). Recorded two sacks on the backup QBs. Unfortunately we were playing ourselves and I'm not savvy enough to figure out if their strong showing was good defense or poor offense. Probably some of both.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 09:44 AM by Broncobelt.)
08-17-2014 09:39 AM
Advertisement

WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
Thanks DD for the article.
08-17-2014 12:44 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Run the darn ball.

Pass blocking, from what I understand, is more of a challenge. WMU has some maturity on the line in Beavers, Kristof, Hoffing and Moten. Note I didnt say they were NFL caliber but now with some big backs in two of the freshman, run the darn ball.

The defense creeps up you play action. Terrell is a decent QB who will only get better. He has some receivers with talent. Take what they give you and give them something to take. It isnt complicated, it's football.
08-17-2014 02:44 PM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

(08-16-2014 04:47 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I'm a little concerned that Okafor will see the field this year. Even if he has the talent to play this year, he was 16 years old last week, and he's punching that clock at 275. Hopefully, he redshirts. If he's as good as the "experts" and "coaches who offered" thought he was he could be a next level player.

Okafore will be the starting RT this year. No redshirt.
08-17-2014 06:34 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(08-17-2014 06:34 PM)Broncobelt Wrote:  
(08-16-2014 04:47 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I'm a little concerned that Okafor will see the field this year. Even if he has the talent to play this year, he was 16 years old last week, and he's punching that clock at 275. Hopefully, he redshirts. If he's as good as the "experts" and "coaches who offered" thought he was he could be a next level player.

Okafore will be the starting RT this year. No redshirt.

So you think Moten moves to guard? He played a bit there on Saturday.
08-17-2014 07:37 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
If Okorafor starts at RT this year, then Moton will be the RG.
08-17-2014 09:02 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(08-17-2014 09:02 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  If Okorafor starts at RT this year, then Moton will be the RG.

So we're looking at this maybe? I don't see where he gets 14 freshmen starting. Later in the year at various times maybe? I count 14 who will likely see the field. Not sure about starting.

RT Okafor freshmen/Moten
RG Moten/Rodreiguz
C Kristof/Hoffing/Doyle freshmen
LG Hoffing/Day
LT Beavers/not sure who can back up at LT
QB Terrell/Stewart freshmen
RB Franklin freshmen/Chance/Ekwoge freshmen
WR Davis/Moulten
WR Phillips freshmen/Keith
WR Braverman/Roberts
TE Boykin/Bazerra freshmen

LS Pfiefer freshmen
P Schoder
K Haldeman and Scanlon
K or P returns- Chance, Celescar, Seabury freshmen

CB Zamort/Stone Davis freshmen
CB Celescar/Williams
SS Currie/Ferguson
SS Atkins/Brown freshmen/Henry
LB Ishmeal (hybred like Simon)/Rolle
LB Brant/Spillane freshmen
LB Lewis/McKinney (unless he's at DE this year)
DE Turner freshmen/Smith
DE Adams/Lee/Braster freshmen
DT Ash/Matich freshmen
DT Simpkins/Curle
08-17-2014 10:05 PM
ColinApocalypse Online

CD, you don't think our 2 Juco LBs will play this year? McKinney will almost definitely be at DE. It's where he played last year, but for some reason is listed as a LB on the official website.
08-17-2014 11:59 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(08-17-2014 11:59 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  CD, you don't think our 2 Juco LBs will play this year? McKinney will almost definitely be at DE. It's where he played last year, but for some reason is listed as a LB on the official website.

Sounds like one might be done for the year.
08-18-2014 12:15 AM
ColinApocalypse Online

(08-18-2014 12:15 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 11:59 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  CD, you don't think our 2 Juco LBs will play this year? McKinney will almost definitely be at DE. It's where he played last year, but for some reason is listed as a LB on the official website.

Sounds like one might be done for the year.

Yeah still not sure about Sylva, but Jackson is a big body. 3-star prospect with offers from P5 programs and we are aching for upperclassmen right now. There's no way he doesn't see the field.
08-18-2014 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.