Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco keeps fighting the fight
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Dude is everywhere fighting the good fight.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/j...d059c.html

-----
Meanwhile, at $72.3 million in revenue this year, the American Athletic Conference — home of the University of Tulsa — is well ahead of leagues like the Big East ($50.2 million with no football), the Mountain West ($31.5 million), Conference USA ($24.5 million) and Atlantic 10 ($16.5 million with no football), but still way, way behind the elite money makers.
And those figures still don’t include third-tier money from conference networks like the Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC.
------
He discussed the AAC’s decision to compete with the Power 5 — he hates that term, by the way, since it connotes greater power on the playing field, which is patently false. In addition to national championships in both men’s and women’s basketball, the AAC also boasts a champion, Central Florida, that pounded Big 12 flag bearer Baylor 52-42 in the Fiesta Bowl.
And Baylor, you’ll recall, obliterated Texas 30-10, the third time in four years the Bears defeated the Longhorns — the same Longhorns that continue to lead the nation (by a lot) in both expenditures and revenue, but whose football program is just 30-20 the last four seasons and got so bad it had to all but fire a legendary coach.
------
“I don’t see this as a doom and gloom scenario at all. It’s gonna be challenging. No one’s arguing it isn’t. We understand there are some real challenges here. But we need to be competitive, and that, I think, will change public perceptions.”
Aresco adheres to the idea of giving student-athletes the full cost of attendance — “That’s something as a conference we are going to do. All our schools are behind it. All our schools feel it’s the right thing to do. And we know we need to do it,” he said — and said that because the 85-scholarship limit in football remains static and transfer restrictions were not amended, the AAC “is going to be stronger than the old Big East Conference was as a BCS conference.
“We essentially can compete. We have resources. Whether we have the resources they have is not really the issue.”
------

Moving forward, Aresco’s goal is to eradicate the term Power 5 and whatever perceptions come with it.
“We’re a power conference,” he said.
“That’s the one term I don’t like. I don’t know where it came from. It was never used before. Sure, to say someone was from a BCS conference was a clear differentiator in the old system, the last 16 years or whatever it’s been, no question.
“The other thing I would point out is we feel we’re aligned with them. We believe in what they believe in. We think we should be in that room. We’re not in there yet. We’re gonna try to knock that door down eventually.”
08-08-2014 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Thank you, Mike Aresco!
08-08-2014 07:48 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: Aresco keeps fighting the fight
(08-08-2014 07:11 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Dude is everywhere fighting the good fight.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/j...d059c.html

-----
Meanwhile, at $72.3 million in revenue this year, the American Athletic Conference — home of the University of Tulsa — is well ahead of leagues like the Big East ($50.2 million with no football), the Mountain West ($31.5 million), Conference USA ($24.5 million) and Atlantic 10 ($16.5 million with no football), but still way, way behind the elite money makers.
And those figures still don’t include third-tier money from conference networks like the Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC.
------
He discussed the AAC’s decision to compete with the Power 5 — he hates that term, by the way, since it connotes greater power on the playing field, which is patently false. In addition to national championships in both men’s and women’s basketball, the AAC also boasts a champion, Central Florida, that pounded Big 12 flag bearer Baylor 52-42 in the Fiesta Bowl.
And Baylor, you’ll recall, obliterated Texas 30-10, the third time in four years the Bears defeated the Longhorns — the same Longhorns that continue to lead the nation (by a lot) in both expenditures and revenue, but whose football program is just 30-20 the last four seasons and got so bad it had to all but fire a legendary coach.
------
“I don’t see this as a doom and gloom scenario at all. It’s gonna be challenging. No one’s arguing it isn’t. We understand there are some real challenges here. But we need to be competitive, and that, I think, will change public perceptions.”
Aresco adheres to the idea of giving student-athletes the full cost of attendance — “That’s something as a conference we are going to do. All our schools are behind it. All our schools feel it’s the right thing to do. And we know we need to do it,” he said — and said that because the 85-scholarship limit in football remains static and transfer restrictions were not amended, the AAC “is going to be stronger than the old Big East Conference was as a BCS conference.
“We essentially can compete. We have resources. Whether we have the resources they have is not really the issue.”
------

Moving forward, Aresco’s goal is to eradicate the term Power 5 and whatever perceptions come with it.
“We’re a power conference,” he said.
“That’s the one term I don’t like. I don’t know where it came from. It was never used before. Sure, to say someone was from a BCS conference was a clear differentiator in the old system, the last 16 years or whatever it’s been, no question.
“The other thing I would point out is we feel we’re aligned with them. We believe in what they believe in. We think we should be in that room. We’re not in there yet. We’re gonna try to knock that door down eventually.”

Awesome job- exactly what he and all our schools AD's and Presidents should be saying every chance they get
08-08-2014 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.