WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article on Broncos secondary defense
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Article on Broncos secondary defense
As expected, optimistic with returning players...and players off of injuries such as Brant.

Who do you think will have the biggest year or impact?

. . . . . . . .

Here's the article courtesy of MLive:

Here's how the depth chart shapes up heading into fall camp:

CORNERBACK

Starter: Donald Celiscar: The 5-11, 185-pounder is the team's lockdown corner. He has played in 35 of 37 possible games in his career. Last year, he came up with three of the team's eight interceptions and finished with nine pass break-ups. A solid senior season and a few more interceptions could really help his NFL chances.

Backup: Asantay Brown: The 6-1, 190-pounder enrolled in the spring and impressed coaches right away with his speed. The Muskegon native and former Mona Shores High School star should see the field this season. His wide receiver skill set might prove valuable in the return game.

CORNERBACK

Starter: Ronald Zamort: The 5-10, 160-pound junior was a nice compliment to Celiscar and has the speed to keep up with gunners down the sideline. Zamortstarted all 12 games last season and finished with 18 pass break-ups.

Backup: Garrett Smith: The 5-9, 170-pound senior was in competition with Zamort for the starting job last season. He appeared in 10 games with one start and was a solid third corner.

STRONG SAFETY

Starter: Justin Currie: The 6-2, 205-pounder is everything a team would want in a hard-hitting last line of defense. His ball instincts and athletic ability help mask his average cover skills. Currie has started every game in the last two years and has played in 34 of 37 possible games in his career. He led the Broncos with 113 tackles last season and came up with three interceptions.

Backup: Justin Ferguson: The athleticism of the Notre Dame wide receiver transfer is off the charts. Coach P.J. Fleck has been almost drooling about what the 6-2, 185-pounder will add to the team. After testing the waters at wide receiver and running back, the coaching staff settled on safety for Ferguson, who was rated the 85th-best player in the nation by ESPNU coming out of high school in 2012. Ferguson will have to get used to delivering the hit instead of taking it, but he should see the field this season.

FREE SAFETY

Starter: Rontavious Atkins: The 6-foot, 195-pounder got off to a great start last season, but a broken hand ended his season after playing in three games. His athleticism and playmaking skills should be a big upgrade from Demetrius Pettway, who filled in at safety last season, but struggled in coverage.

Backup: Deontae Brown: The 6-2, 200-pounder is a three-star athlete out of Chicago. He was rated the 48th-best player in the state by Rivals.com.

ALSO ON THE ROSTER

WMU has options behind the veteran-heavy starting lineup in the secondary. Along with the listed backups, the Broncos have redshirt freshman corner Logan Oce, senior safety Jon Henry and freshman athlete Antione Stone. WMU will be without incoming freshman Alon Sims, a two-star safety from Florida who boasted good speed but did not qualify academically with the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 03:53 PM by bostonbronco.)
07-31-2014 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

New School Bronco Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Article on Broncos secondary defense
I think the secondary will be great with plenty of depth. I think the linebackers will be improved with more speed, which I think they lacked speed last year. So then IMO it comes down to the DLINE. If they can't cause pressure it could be a long year.
07-31-2014 04:14 PM
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
The return of Rontavius Atkins and the addition of speedster, Asantay Brown, along with N.D. Transfer combined with standout returnee make this a very
solid, athletic, and fast secondary. As of this writing, I believe this will be our defensive strength. However, I do believe the linebacking positions will be
stronger than last year with strong, fast, three star freshmen coming in as backups and Brant coming back as well as returnees.

I agree with New School. The defensive line, although improved, will have to stop the run and make sacks.
07-31-2014 06:20 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2014 06:20 PM)bostonbronco Wrote:  The return of Rontavius Atkins and the addition of speedster, Asantay Brown, along with N.D. Transfer combined with standout returnee make this a very
solid, athletic, and fast secondary. As of this writing, I believe this will be our defensive strength. However, I do believe the linebacking positions will be
stronger than last year with strong, fast, three star freshmen coming in as backups and Brant coming back as well as returnees.

I agree with New School. The defensive line, although improved, will have to stop the run and make sacks.

Agree completely. The defensive line will need to be much improved this year to really understand how good this secondary really is. If we can't stop the run up front this secondary will be wasted.
07-31-2014 07:26 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
I can't see any possible way the Dline could be worse.

Our best DT was 5'9" 300 pounds in Herman Munster shoes.

Ash, Findley, Curle, and Simpkins at least have legit size, give us some depth, and return with some experience.

Same at DE. Our DEs were glorified LBers last year. They couldn't shed a block, and if by some miracle they did they didn't have the motor to get to the QB or ball carrier. At worst we've got some inexperienced guys with some size and wheels.
07-31-2014 08:26 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
Run defense up front has to improve, then the pass rush. If we can force teams to throw the ball we will have a shot at winning games and will find out if the secondary is really as good as advertised. Looking forward to see how the new scheme plays out.

I thought we were going to the 4-2-5? IF so then why is the breakdown not showing that?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 10:04 PM by Kimbosucks.)
07-31-2014 10:04 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2014 10:04 PM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  Run defense up front has to improve, then the pass rush. If we can force teams to throw the ball we will have a shot at winning games and will find out if the secondary is really as good as advertised. Looking forward to see how the new scheme plays out.

I thought we were going to the 4-2-5? IF so then why is the breakdown not showing that?

Well, the Gazette/Mlive staff gets their info out of Lindy's rather than calling up the program and asking them what defensive scheme we'll be running, and what our actual depth chart MIGHT look like.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 10:14 PM by Chipdip2.)
07-31-2014 10:13 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

I really appreciate when people who actually know the game weigh in, thanks Kimbo.
07-31-2014 10:14 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2014 10:14 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  I really appreciate when people who actually know the game weigh in, thanks Kimbo.

Does anyone know how many reputation points i'm allowed to give for a$$ kissing, sucking up, brown nosing, or coattail riding?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 10:52 PM by Chipdip2.)
07-31-2014 10:17 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-31-2014 10:17 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 10:14 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  I really appreciate when people who actually know the game weigh in, thanks Kimbo.

Does anyone know many reputation points am I allowed to give for a$$ kissing, sucking up, brown nosing, or coattail riding?

Why is it around here if you compliment another poster or a reporter from say like Mlive, that certain people around here take it as a personal affront to them?

So weird.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 10:41 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-31-2014 10:41 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2014 10:41 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  

Does anyone know many reputation points am I allowed to give for a$$ kissing, sucking up, brown nosing, or coattail riding?

Why is it around here if you compliment another poster or a reporter from say like Mlive, that certain people around here take it as a personal affront to them?

So weird.

It's a recent phenomena.
07-31-2014 10:57 PM
Advertisement

BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-31-2014 10:57 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

So weird.

It's a recent phenomena.

I don't agree, you guys just flat out attacked people when you took it personal before, dredged up old arguments, perceived agendas true or not, just to discredit anyone who paid a compliment like I just did to Kimbo and recently did to David Drew, Hoople or Jubba.

Really sad how petty some posters can act here.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 11:00 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-31-2014 11:00 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2014 11:00 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 10:57 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

So weird.

It's a recent phenomena.

I don't agree, you guys just flat out attacked people when you took it personal before, dredged up old arguments, perceived agendas true or not, just to discredit anyone who paid a compliment like I just did to Kimbo and recently did to David Drew, Hoople or Jubba.

Really sad how petty some posters can act here.

Listen BL, we all understand your frustration with this place.

After all, you haven't posted here for six years, but as you have told us, you've been lurking, waiting on the sidelines, holding your tongue. Finally, you mustered up the courage to come out of the shadows and say what's on your mind. Clearly, you had a lot to say, as you've graced us with 40 posts a day. I haven't seen those kind of numbers since one of our most beloved posters left here.

I for one like your energy, and your attempt at e-manners, but frankly, you don't seem to add much to the discussion. You seem to revel in taking a contrary view point simply to keep stirring the pot. I've seen this act somewhere before and it didn't play out well. Hopefully you will bring some substance to the table, and not just continually engage people in the hope that they will get into a pissing match.
07-31-2014 11:16 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

You guys haven't talked sports or substance more than 10 percent of the time in the last week, you all just talked about other posters and reporters that you are threatened by here. I think your plea rings hollow.

We should talk WMU athletics, but somehow it gets lost for some reason Having said that and GETTING BACK ON TOPIC, I appreciate Kimbos take on what it would take for our secondary to be successful.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 11:22 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-31-2014 11:19 PM
ghost bronco Offline
Banned

(07-31-2014 11:19 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  You guys haven't talked sports or substance more than 10 percent of the time in the last week, you all just talked about other posters and reporters that you are threatened by here. I think your plea rings hollow.

We should talk WMU athletics here, but somehow it gets lost for some reason Having said that and GETTING BACK ON TOPIC, I appreciate Kimbos take on what it would take for our secondary to be successful.

Jeez guy YOU talk about nothing but other posters either sucking up or poking fun. Do you have any of YOUR OWN INSIGHT that you can share? Why do you interject so much and say so little?
07-31-2014 11:23 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-31-2014 11:23 PM)ghost bronco Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 11:19 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  You guys haven't talked sports or substance more than 10 percent of the time in the last week, you all just talked about other posters and reporters that you are threatened by here. I think your plea rings hollow.

We should talk WMU athletics here, but somehow it gets lost for some reason Having said that and GETTING BACK ON TOPIC, I appreciate Kimbos take on what it would take for our secondary to be successful.

Jeez guy YOU talk about nothing but other posters either sucking up or poking fun. Do you have any of YOUR OWN INSIGHT that you can share? Why do you interject so much and say so little?

Newsflash, none of you guys have had anything of substance to say but how much you don't like DD or other posters, you're all guilty of which you accuse.

Including you Ghost, what have you added other than counters to people who don't love PJ here? I think you all should look outward before throwing stones.

We should strive to be a CIVIL board here and talk WMU athletics, not about one another, I've said that constantly yet you all persist, why?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 11:30 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-31-2014 11:25 PM
Advertisement

ghost bronco Offline
Banned

Dude do you know anything about any WMU athletes? Because you sure know about everyone who posts on this board.

Talk sports if you want to but "I like Kimbos take he sure is smart" isn't talking sports, its being a message board suck up. You seem to exist just to insult, critique, and praise posters on this board. What is this?
07-31-2014 11:31 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-31-2014 11:31 PM)ghost bronco Wrote:  Dude do you know anything about any WMU athletes? Because you sure know about everyone who posts on this board.

Talk sports if you want to but "I like Kimbos take he sure is smart" isn't talking sports, its being a message board suck up. You seem to exist just to insult, critique, and praise posters on this board. What is this?

Dude, what have you offered here? Answer? NADA.

I've been talking WMU athletics. You? Not so much.
07-31-2014 11:33 PM
ghost bronco Offline
Banned

I guess if you say it enough times it becomes true.
07-31-2014 11:34 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-31-2014 11:34 PM)ghost bronco Wrote:  I guess if you say it enough times it becomes true.

You've had around 83 posts at last count, none have amounted to anything but how much you love PJ here.

Peace out bro.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 11:42 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-31-2014 11:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.