WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

David Drew's article on the defensive line.
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
David Drew's article on the defensive line.
Ash, the transfer from U of M, could pay big dividends as well as some veterans and redshirt freshman. . . and even a few freshman. However, having said that....the defensive line has got to step it up this year......and STOP the RUN.

. . . . . . . . .

Here's a portion of the article:

The Broncos return some experience up front and will bring in some talented players that should create strong competition up front.

Here is how the depth chart might look entering fall camp:

DEFENSIVE END

Starter: Jarrell McKinney: The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder is the leading returning defensive lineman as he came up with 44 tackles. The lengthy junior from Detroit appeared in all 12 games last season and made 10 starts.

Backup: Andre Turner: The 6-3, 220-pound redshirt freshman was ranked as one of the top recruits in the state of Michigan coming out of Chandler Park Academy in Harper Woods. After redshirting last year, Turner will have a chance to compete for playing time.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Starter: Cleveland Smith: The 6-foot-1, 235-pounder played and started in 10 games last year. He finished with 23 tackles, five of which went for loss. He played in 11 games as a freshman in 2012. Based on his experience he should be the first-string tackle entering camp, but he is likely to be pushed.

Backup: Jamar Simpkins: The 6-3, 280-pounder showed steady improvement last year as a freshman. He played in 11 games, starting two of them, and finished with 21 tackles. He recorded one of the team's seven sacks. Simpkins should make a strong push for not only playing time, but the right to start.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Richard Ash
MLive file
Starter: Richard Ash: The 6-3, 315-pound fifth-year senior transfer from the University of Michigan is expected to step in right away and give the Broncos some help up front. Ash was a three-year letterman with the Wolverines. He recorded 45 tackles, four sacks and recovered two fumbles last year with U-M. He recorded 84 tackles, five sacks, one interception, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a junior.

Backup: David Curle: The 6-2, 290-pounder played in nine games as a freshman last year. He recorded 11 tackles and was a solid contributor. The Shelby Township native should see consistent playing time and if he shows the kind of development he did a season ago he could make even more of an impact this season.

DEFENSIVE END

Starter: Keion Adams: As a freshman he played in 11 games and started five of them. The 6-3, 230-pounder from Salisbury, N.C. was a solid contributor and is the player to beat out as the starter at one defensive end position. He finished with 23 tackles and recorded one of the team's seven sacks last season.

Backup: Nathan Braster: The 6-4, 245-pounder was a two-star recruit coming out of Fort Wayne, Ind. He was the No. 16-rated recruit coming out of the state of Indiana by Rivals.com.

ALSO ON THE ROSTER

Redshirt freshmen Khairi Bailey (6-3, 250) and Devante Lee (6-6, 230) were both highly-touted players coming into WMU last year. Lee originally signed with Middle Tennessee State and had to sit out a season due to NCAA transfer rules.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 05:34 PM by bostonbronco.)
07-28-2014 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
RE: David Drew's article on the defensive line.
There are a lot of different ways this depth chart could shake out in fall camp. I think the whole D-line will be one of the most interesting battles of camp. Can't wait to see who will step up.
07-28-2014 05:52 PM
ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

I Root For: Row The Boat
(07-28-2014 05:52 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  There are a lot of different ways this depth chart could shake out in fall camp. I think the whole D-line will be one of the most interesting battles of camp. Can't wait to see who will step up.

I remember that we were awful against the run last year, but 7 total sacks for the season is unreal. I look forward to seeing what Ash can do. He put up some good stats in the Big Ten last year, hope that translates to some success against opposing MAC offenses.
07-28-2014 07:22 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

I don't recall Ash putting up good stats in the B1G last year, from what I remember he got in one game. Although he saw three games during 2011.

At any rate, a B1G caliber guy transferring in has to help.

Here's where I read that, I went and googled him. #Hustlebelt

Quote:While Ash does bring experience and size having played in Michigan's system for the past few years, his stats don't pop out at you. In 14 career games at defensive tackle and on special teams, the senior recorded just recorded his first career tackle in Michigan's loss to Ohio State last year. However, he did play in a trio of games during the Sugar Bowl season in 2011, so that should help with a "winning mentality".

But again, Ash is the lone senior on the defensive line, and only one of two upperclassmen (joining junior Cleveland Smith). He's also the biggest man on the line, coming in at a whopping 314 lbs with a 6'3" frame. That should help stop the solid run games of opponents like Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and Northern Illinois, who have all torn up the Broncos on the ground the past few seasons.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 07:41 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-28-2014 07:35 PM
ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

(07-28-2014 07:35 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  I don't recall Ash putting up good stats in the B1G last year, from what I remember he got in one game. Although he saw three games during 2011.

At any rate, a B1G caliber guy transferring in has to help.

Here's where I read that, I went and googled him. #Hustlebelt

Quote:While Ash does bring experience and size having played in Michigan's system for the past few years, his stats don't pop out at you. In 14 career games at defensive tackle and on special teams, the senior recorded just recorded his first career tackle in Michigan's loss to Ohio State last year. However, he did play in a trio of games during the Sugar Bowl season in 2011, so that should help with a "winning mentality".

But again, Ash is the lone senior on the defensive line, and only one of two upperclassmen (joining junior Cleveland Smith). He's also the biggest man on the line, coming in at a whopping 314 lbs with a 6'3" frame. That should help stop the solid run games of opponents like Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and Northern Illinois, who have all torn up the Broncos on the ground the past few seasons.

Richard Ash
MLive file
Starter: Richard Ash: The 6-3, 315-pound fifth-year senior transfer from the University of Michigan is expected to step in right away and give the Broncos some help up front. Ash was a three-year letterman with the Wolverines. He recorded 45 tackles, four sacks and recovered two fumbles last year with U-M. He recorded 84 tackles, five sacks, one interception, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a junior.[u]

According the article these were his statistics. Perhaps the writer made a mistake.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 07:44 PM by ChuckNorris.)
07-28-2014 07:44 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

I'm thinking that is a huge mistake, he made his first tackle November 30, 2013 against OSU.

Forty five tackles in a year would be "Clowney like". He wouldn't be transferring to a MAC school to finish his career with that many tackles I wouldn't think. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 07:50 PM by BroncoLifer.)
07-28-2014 07:48 PM
Advertisement

ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

Well if nothing else, maybe he can come in and contribute/put up good numbers like Mike Jones did last year.
07-28-2014 07:48 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 07:48 PM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  Well if nothing else, maybe he can come in and contribute/put up good numbers like Mike Jones did last year.

Both Florida boys. True story.
07-28-2014 07:53 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

I think those are his HS stats and the writer is mistaken.

I do believe he will be a big help on a line that needs all the help they can get though. Great size, played in a Big Ten system for 4 years, was a 4-star guy coming out of HS, and he will be the only senior on the line.
07-28-2014 07:54 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(07-28-2014 07:53 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 07:48 PM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  Well if nothing else, maybe he can come in and contribute/put up good numbers like Mike Jones did last year.

I thought Ash was from Georgia.
07-28-2014 07:55 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 07:55 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 07:53 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  

I thought Ash was from Georgia.

Pahokee.
07-28-2014 07:58 PM
Advertisement

BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 07:54 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I think those are his HS stats and the writer is mistaken.

I do believe he will be a big help on a line that needs all the help they can get though. Great size, played in a Big Ten system for 4 years, was a 4-star guy coming out of HS, and he will be the only senior on the line.

His size alone should help, he wasn't explosive enough to get unlocked against B1G competition and he struggled, but he should be a welcome addition to a MAC team needing help.

Of course that writer is mistaken, if you're putting those kinds of numbers up in your junior year, you're calling an agent, not transferring to a lower tier program.
07-28-2014 08:00 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 08:00 PM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 07:48 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  I'm thinking that is a huge mistake, he made his first tackle November 30, 2013 against OSU.

Forty five tackles in a year would be "Clowney like". He wouldn't be transferring to a MAC school to finish his career with that many tackles I wouldn't think. 03-lmfao

No reason to laugh. David made a mistake, no big deal. Perhaps his mind was wandering, thinking about the blue sky and tumble weeds of Cheyenne. Know what I mean?

David didn't make a mistake, he was spot on.

Quote:During his high school career, Ash was a three-year varsity letterman with the football program, registering 45 tackles, 13.0 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks and recovered two fumbles as a senior. He racked up 84 tackles with 7.0 TFLs, 5.0 sacks to go along with an interception, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a junior.
07-28-2014 08:07 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

The more I think about our defensive line this year, the more excited I get thinking about the potential for us on defense. Our secondary is very good, and now that we've got some depth at the defensive line, this could be the one area on the team that surprises us the most. We are a solid 2-3 players deep at DT and DE... granted there's some serious inexperience there. But the excited thing is the upside of this unit. Having fresh bodies on the defensive line is always a huge plus.
07-28-2014 08:08 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 08:08 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  The more I think about our defensive line this year, the more excited I get thinking about the potential for us on defense. Our secondary is very good, and now that we've got some depth at the defensive line, this could be the one area on the team that surprises us the most. We are a solid 2-3 players deep at DT and DE... granted there's some serious inexperience there. But the excited thing is the upside of this unit. Having fresh bodies on the defensive line is always a huge plus.

I don't understand the sentence "but the excited thing is the upside of this unit".

Help me out with that one please.
07-28-2014 08:10 PM
ChuckNorris Offline
1st String

(07-28-2014 08:07 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 07:48 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  I'm thinking that is a huge mistake, he made his first tackle November 30, 2013 against OSU.

No reason to laugh. David made a mistake, no big deal. Perhaps his mind was wandering, thinking about the blue sky and tumble weeds of Cheyenne. Know what I mean?

Quote:During his high school career, Ash was a three-year varsity letterman with the football program, registering 45 tackles, 13.0 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks and recovered two fumbles as a senior. He racked up 84 tackles with 7.0 TFLs, 5.0 sacks to go along with an interception, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a junior.

He made a mistake in the article he wrote today, Randy. You know that though, and are just trying to start one of your Cheyenne-shakedowns. Not tonight. Civility rules the evening.
07-28-2014 08:13 PM
Advertisement

BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 08:13 PM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 08:07 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  

He made a mistake in the article he wrote today, Randy. You know that though, and are just trying to start one of your Cheyenne-shakedowns. Not tonight. Civility rules the evening.

First off, I am not named Randy. Secondly, I saw he put that blurb in yesterdays defensive line preview, big mistake.
07-28-2014 08:15 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

Why do you insist on calling me Randy?
07-28-2014 08:21 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2014 08:10 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 08:08 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  The more I think about our defensive line this year, the more excited I get thinking about the potential for us on defense. Our secondary is very good, and now that we've got some depth at the defensive line, this could be the one area on the team that surprises us the most. We are a solid 2-3 players deep at DT and DE... granted there's some serious inexperience there. But the excited thing is the upside of this unit. Having fresh bodies on the defensive line is always a huge plus.

I don't understand the sentence "but the excited thing is the upside of this unit".

Trolling again I see. Shocker... probably better for all if I just put you on ignore.
07-28-2014 08:43 PM
BroncoLifer Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 08:43 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 08:10 PM)BroncoLifer Wrote:  

Trolling again I see. Shocker... probably better for all if I just put you on ignore.

Actually, asking for clarification of a sentence is not trolling by any definition I have ever heard.

I didn't understand that sentence. Putting me on ignore is fine if that's what you want, it won't hurt my feelings.

I would only want to discuss WMU with people who are willing and not accusing me of being someone else all the time. Yesterday was unreal.
07-28-2014 08:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.