WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will freshman Chance Stewart surpass the incumbents at quarterback?
Cant make this sh t up Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
Will freshman Chance Stewart surpass the incumbents at quarterback?
Article just came out on Mlive. I have heard a lot of opinions with my circle of Bronco friends and are getting lots of mixed reviews. These 3 answers are what I'm hearing:
1. Start him, what the heck, if he is our future he needs to play
2. Red Shirt him immediately don't want to waste him till he's ready
3. Don't Red shirt him, and work him in as starter around game 4 or 5

All three are logical answers based on what you believe, thoughts?
07-21-2014 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

RE: Will freshman Chance Stewart surpass the incumbents at quarterback?
(07-21-2014 08:18 AM)Cant make this sh t up Wrote:  Article just came out on Mlive. I have heard a lot of opinions with my circle of Bronco friends and are getting lots of mixed reviews. These 3 answers are what I'm hearing:
1. Start him, what the heck, if he is our future he needs to play
2. Red Shirt him immediately don't want to waste him till he's ready
3. Don't Red shirt him, and work him in as starter around game 4 or 5

All three are logical answers based on what you believe, thoughts?

I don't like options #1 or #2.

I say see how things go under Zach Terrell first. If Terrell struggles against Idaho and starts to struggle against Murray State, I say we need to pull the trigger early and put Stewart in there. If Terrell does fine for those first games and begins to struggle in MAC play, it might be time to insert Stewart. But even then, it would have to be a pretty dire situation IMO. I think if Fleck decides to start him, it'll either be on Homecoming against Ohio, or EMU towards the end of the year.
07-21-2014 08:42 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Terrell showed he could run the ball towards the end of the season, which was a plus. He also showed he could miss wide open receivers, and it happened in several key situations.

I suspect Stewart is more mobile than he gets credit for, and from the film I've seen he is pretty accurate and has a quick enough release. His biggest upside will be his vision. Unlike Terrell who is 6'1" on a good day, Stewart can see over the linemen.

I'd ween him into every game in order to get accustom to the speed, and in early Oct. if Terrell flounders, I'd give him significan PT and see what happens.

On the other hand if Thomas shows well in camp and looks on par with Stewart then RS Stewart and give Thomas the chance.

I don't think it's really about Stewart. It's Terrell's to lose.
07-21-2014 10:04 AM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I think we will see something closer to option #3 with Stewart. I actually think we might see something close to option #3 with a boat load (no pun intended) of the youngsters.

Unless Terrell makes huge strides and this team finds a way to be 6-2 or something like that. Then you have to keep him in and red shirt Stewart. But if the team is 2-6, what do you have to lose by getting as much in game experience as you can for as many young kids as possible?

From what I have been reading here over the last month, none of us have very high hopes record wise for this season. And all of us think that if it is going to turn around its going to take another year or possibly 2or3. So if the season takes a turn, why not go ahead and start getting these kids in? Which is what I think you will see happen at least the last 1/4 of the season.
07-21-2014 01:14 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
So....you're saying that there may be a plan? I mean other than not divulging your playbook to other teams by only running a percentage of plays, so they can't prepare for it, right? 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014 01:18 PM by DesertBronco.)
07-21-2014 01:17 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I think there will be at least 10-12 new faces starting this fall beginning at the Purdue game (Chance Stewart not being one of them). By the end of the year, we might have 15-16 newbies in the starting rotation. It will definitely be interesting to see how Fleck manages all of this.
07-21-2014 01:21 PM
Advertisement

WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

When you say 10-12 new faces. Are you thinking 10-12 of this years new class? Or just new faces in general that we haven't seen before because they just hadn't gotten playing time or had red shirted last year?

Either way, I think that is a huge question mark going into the season. There is a lot to be said about guys being experienced. Obviously, you have to get on the field to get that experience, so based on what you are projecting, they will be working towards getting that experience early and often this season, looking ahead to 2015 and beyond. My concern is that generally, you try to work in a handful of newbies along with some seasoned vets so that maybe they can be covered up for by those vets while they learn.

I guess we might find out early what kind of games these youngsters have. And if it quickly translates to production and potentially wins on the field.
07-21-2014 01:27 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2014 01:27 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  When you say 10-12 new faces. Are you thinking 10-12 of this years new class? Or just new faces in general that we haven't seen before because they just hadn't gotten playing time or had red shirted last year?

I didn't want to limit the term to "freshmen" because there are a few JUCO's/transfers that I think could start immediately (Ferguson, Ash, Sylva, Jackson), and then there are also a few redshirt freshmen that could start as well (Lee, Phillips, Turner, etc.)

And then you've got guys like Asantay Brown, Matich, Bezerra, Spillane, Okorafor, Doyle, etc. who will probably start also.

Then there are some others sprinkled in there that could eventually start down the road when it's all said and done.
07-21-2014 01:35 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

That's ALOT of new faces with little or no experience.

I would guess that if this is the case, then they all deserve to be playing. But I am also going to guess that inexperience is going to result in plenty of mental mistakes and maybe more importantly being a step slow because they are thinking rather than playing.

But that's also why they should be getting the playing time, because much like the real world where employers want people with experience. You cant get that experience if you aren't given the chance.
07-21-2014 02:02 PM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

(07-21-2014 01:14 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  I think we will see something closer to option #3 with Stewart. I actually think we might see something close to option #3 with a boat load (no pun intended) of the youngsters.

Unless Terrell makes huge strides and this team finds a way to be 6-2 or something like that. Then you have to keep him in and red shirt Stewart. But if the team is 2-6, what do you have to lose by getting as much in game experience as you can for as many young kids as possible?

From what I have been reading here over the last month, none of us have very high hopes record wise for this season. And all of us think that if it is going to turn around its going to take another year or possibly 2or3. So if the season takes a turn, why not go ahead and start getting these kids in? Which is what I think you will see happen at least the last 1/4 of the season.

If we are 2-6 after 8 games and Stewart has not played, I would not want to see him come in at that point. The season is already down the tubes so why give up a year of eligibility by burning his red shirt at that point?

That's just my view. PJ may see it very differently and not care about the team or play 5 years from now. For all we know he may be planning on bigger and better things by then.
07-21-2014 02:14 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I think there is a pretty decent chance we start the season 2-5.

I see your point, belt, about at what point in the year does it almost become not worth it to burn a redshirt.
07-21-2014 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Broncobelt Offline
All American

(07-21-2014 02:27 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I think there is a pretty decent chance we start the season 2-5.

I see your point, belt, about at what point in the year does it almost become not worth it to burn a redshirt.

I think the answer is a subjective one. Different people will have different opinions. In my mind, if the season is to a point where even becoming bowl eligible is doubtful, don't waste a redshirt.

I think it should be evident pretty quickly if we need Chance this year or not. All depends on how Terrell and/or Cam perform in fall camp and the early games. (Assuming Chance does not establish himself in August practice.)
07-21-2014 03:00 PM
Doo Offline
1st String

I don't think Peej has any intention/reason to expect hell be the head coach here 5 years from now, so I doubt hell redshirt him.

I expect he'll get some reps in the non con if he isn't given the job out of camp....and start at some point in the MAC schedule, and surely be the guy Peej rides to sucres or failure in years 3,4...and maybe 5.
07-21-2014 08:21 PM
Cant make this sh t up Offline
2nd String

We will find out quickly boys...August 4 is almost here! Cant wait! COGS
07-21-2014 08:30 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
If PJ starts burning redshirt year on FR lineman - you've got real problems. The QB, it does not matter - I do like your guy Terrell, he can play.
07-21-2014 08:56 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(07-21-2014 08:56 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  If PJ starts burning redshirt year on FR lineman - you've got real problems. The QB, it does not matter - I do like your guy Terrell, he can play.

Okafor had 33 offers including legit offers from Florida and Arkansas. Former Detroit Lion Lomas Brown saw him play and called his alma mater Florida. They looked at some film and offered. I'd say he's an Olineman worth burning a redshirt on.

BSU graduated an Oline two years ago that had several guys who had started since they were freshmen. We return 4 starters on the Oline, but I could see one of the freshmen starting before years end.
07-21-2014 09:11 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

(07-21-2014 09:11 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(07-21-2014 08:56 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  If PJ starts burning redshirt year on FR lineman - you've got real problems. The QB, it does not matter - I do like your guy Terrell, he can play.

Okafor had 33 offers including legit offers from Florida and Arkansas. Former Detroit Lion Lomas Brown saw him play and called his alma mater Florida. They looked at some film and offered. I'd say he's an Olineman worth burning a redshirt on.

BSU graduated an Oline two years ago that had several guys who had started since they were freshmen. We return 4 starters on the Oline, but I could see one of the freshmen starting before years end.

In the form of a point please, Alex?
07-21-2014 09:45 PM
ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

Usually want to redshirt OL. Given that we have 4 returning starters and a few others with game experience it would be great if we could redshirt these guys. That being said, if they are better then returners, they should play.

As for Stewart, I think not enrolling early hindered him. He will have every opportunity to compete, but Sturgis is a far cry from D1 football. If he is not significantly better, he should redshirt. There is no guarantee that he won't be number 3 on the chart.
07-21-2014 10:00 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

(07-21-2014 10:00 PM)ITalian83i Wrote:  Usually want to redshirt OL. Given that we have 4 returning starters and a few others with game experience it would be great if we could redshirt these guys. That being said, if they are better then returners, they should play.

As for Stewart, I think not enrolling early hindered him. He will have every opportunity to compete, but Sturgis is a far cry from D1 football. If he is not significantly better, he should redshirt. There is no guarantee that he won't be number 3 on the chart.

Best post about him that I've seen so far. Great points.
07-21-2014 10:19 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

(07-21-2014 02:14 PM)Broncobelt Wrote:  
(07-21-2014 01:14 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  I think we will see something closer to option #3 with Stewart. I actually think we might see something close to option #3 with a boat load (no pun intended) of the youngsters.

If we are 2-6 after 8 games and Stewart has not played, I would not want to see him come in at that point. The season is already down the tubes so why give up a year of eligibility by burning his red shirt at that point?

That's just my view. PJ may see it very differently and not care about the team or play 5 years from now. For all we know he may be planning on bigger and better things by then.

I actually think I agree with your thinking on this also Belt. If they are in fact that far through the season and Stewart hasn't played then unless there is an injury issue where he must play, I think I would red shirt him. Something just tells me that this isn't what is going to happen.

I really am torn as to how I think they are going to handle him. Part of me says, I don't think he sees the field at all this season and red shirts. Another side of me says, that PJ is going to do everything he can to have Stewart on the field as soon as possible.

And I'm really not sure which option I think is better for this year and/or the future.
07-22-2014 05:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.