Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Very OT: Need Some Help from our Marshall Brethren
Bookmark and Share
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Very OT: Need Some Help from our Marshall Brethren
I'm looking at a couple of jobs out of the Charleston, WV area.. What can you Thundering Herd boys tell me about the area (cost of living, housing, crime, etc.)?
07-17-2014 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Very OT: Need Some Help from our Marshall Brethren
Here is the city data website on Charleston, WV.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Charleston...ginia.html

Do you have any other options? Depending on where they are I'd probably suggest going there.
07-17-2014 02:32 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-17-2014 02:30 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'm looking at a couple of jobs out of the Charleston, WV area.. What can you Thundering Herd boys tell me about the area (cost of living, housing, crime, etc.)?

I don't know what kind of salary you'll be making, but Loudon Heights is a pretty nice area in Charleston. It is pretty pricey. Homes are $250,000-$1 millionish.
07-17-2014 02:36 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

Cost of living is pretty low here. So depending on your salary you could feel very rich here, and pretty poor somewhere else with the same salary.

There just isn't a lot going on here. We tend to stay at top of all the bad lists you don't want to be on.

If skiing, white water, nature, hunting is your thing you'd love it here though.
07-17-2014 02:40 PM
lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

I absolutely hate Charleston. The traffic patterns in the city and especially how I-64 is handled through Charleston would make me unbearably miserable there. I'm spoiled by Huntington's awesome city planning, though. Not being facetious either, a grid is the best way to build a city.
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(07-17-2014 02:40 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Cost of living is pretty low here. So depending on your salary you could feel very rich here, and pretty poor somewhere else with the same salary.

There just isn't a lot going on here. We tend to stay at top of all the bad lists you don't want to be on.

If skiing, white water, nature, hunting is your thing you'd love it here though.
I like hunting and being outside. That would be the first thing we'd do is find a place out of the city. I'll drive if I have to.

Right now nothing has been submitted but I'll be dusting off the ol' resume and applying this weekend.
07-17-2014 04:09 PM
Advertisement

Penn2moss Offline
Water Engineer

A ton of people live in teays valley, Hurricane, Winfield area.
07-17-2014 04:10 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(07-17-2014 04:10 PM)Penn2moss Wrote:  A ton of people live in teays valley, Hurricane, Winfield area.

This. 20 minutes outside Charleston. Nice new housing available. Plenty of amenities and you only need go into the big city when you have to.
07-17-2014 04:32 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(07-17-2014 03:47 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  I absolutely hate Charleston. The traffic patterns in the city and especially how I-64 is handled through Charleston would make me unbearably miserable there. I'm spoiled by Huntington's awesome city planning, though. Not being facetious either, a grid is the best way to build a city.

OT.....Phoenix/Scottsdale....easily the easiest large city to navigate...hell, it's easier than freakin' HBG.
07-17-2014 04:45 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-17-2014 04:09 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 02:40 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Cost of living is pretty low here. So depending on your salary you could feel very rich here, and pretty poor somewhere else with the same salary.

I like hunting and being outside. That would be the first thing we'd do is find a place out of the city. I'll drive if I have to.

Right now nothing has been submitted but I'll be dusting off the ol' resume and applying this weekend.

You might want to consider something up Elk River. The Elkview Pinch area is nice. There's a nice neighborhood on the edge of Charleston called Knowllwood.

You might struggle to find a sports bar in Charleston to watch Marshall football, even though there are some great ones, Adelphia on Capital Street is great but expect to see WVU when they are playing.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 06:43 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
07-17-2014 06:36 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Depends on what you are looking for. If you don't mind a ton of people there is always the Teay's Valley area, when I mean a ton Im not exaggerating, the place has been over populated now for 15 years or more. If you want something more laid back out of the high traffic area there are tons of places that are nice. Like the Big Chimney/Pinch area to the north of Charleston and Davis Creek/Alum Creek to the south.

We live at Alum Creek. We are in a rural setting but we are 4 miles from anything we basically need. And 7 1/2 miles from Charleston. We hardly go to downtown Charleston unless its going to a Dr., everything we need mostly is in a shopping area that's called South Ridge/Trace Fork.

CharlestonWV.com
CityOfCharleston.org
07-17-2014 07:25 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: Very OT: Need Some Help from our Marshall Brethren
Hurricane, WV is where you want to be living. Right smack in the middle between Huntington/Charleston. 20 minutes either way.
07-17-2014 08:07 PM
herdtrumpet Offline
Water Engineer

Here is the page for Hurricane:

http://hurricanewv.com/

I could not find a similar site for Teays Valley or Winfield, but both are nice areas. I have lived in Hurricane and Winfield, both are nice areas with nice developments and communities. Milton has some nice new developments, but it is closer to Barboursville/Huntington than Charleston.

Another factor: Hurricane and Teays are right off of the interstate; Winfield takes about a 5-10 minute drive to reach the interstate.

(also, if anyone is wondering, its Hurr-i-cun, not hurr-i-cane, haha)
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 08:53 PM by herdtrumpet.)
07-17-2014 08:23 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

Whether or not you would like Charleston is based solely on your personality and preferences. WV, by and large, is a state that offers a lot if you like the outdoors - hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, biking, rafting are all available in abundance. The state has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.

What the state lacks is urban planning and development, decades of substandard zoning, which means you will see very nice stuff located next to crap, and cutting edge choices in food, shopping and entertainment.

I grew up in the area, moved to Louisville for 12 years after college and came back here 15 years ago. Living in Charleston is not like living in a city like Louisville. In some ways it's better, in some it's worse. WV has a much more homey, small town feel. If you're from the south, the real south, not someplace like Atlanta, I think you would feel comfortable in WV. People are generally friendly, help a neighbor, get involved in the community types. It you want hip, fast paced, something always going on then it wouldn't be the place for you.
07-17-2014 08:32 PM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
The Teays Valley area hands down is the best area to live if you work in Charleston. The neighborhoods out Rt 119 are pretty nice as well. You couldn't pay me to live in Chalreston proper.

Teays Valley, Scott Depot, Hurricane, Winfield are all nice and have great schools if that's a consideration as well.
07-17-2014 09:20 PM
lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

For out of staters, Hurricane is pronounced Hurricuhn
07-17-2014 10:15 PM
Advertisement

FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

Yeah, I would look into the areas they have mentioned. Also, not sure as I've never lived there, but have a buddy who does and he works in Charleston.... the Poca area. It might be a little more rural and its still around 20 minutes from the city. My buddy is a big outdoorsmen and likes the Poca area pretty well.

I would say the Alum Creek area is nice too. Only thing is, most things are usually going on in either Huntington or Charleston. So if you choose to live on the Huntington side of Charleston it will make going to Huntington events much easier.
07-17-2014 10:27 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-17-2014 04:10 PM)Penn2moss Wrote:  A ton of people live in teays valley, Hurricane, Winfield area.

In WV that a ton of people is what, a family of 3?
07-17-2014 11:16 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
(07-17-2014 08:23 PM)herdtrumpet Wrote:  Here is the page for Hurricane:

http://hurricanewv.com/

I could not find a similar site for Teays Valley or Winfield, but both are nice areas. I have lived in Hurricane and Winfield, both are nice areas with nice developments and communities. Milton has some nice new developments, but it is closer to Barboursville/Huntington than Charleston.

Another factor: Hurricane and Teays are right off of the interstate; Winfield takes about a 5-10 minute drive to reach the interstate.

(also, if anyone is wondering, its Hurr-i-cun, not hurr-i-cane, haha)

Never really understood why West Virginians expect other people to mispronounce a common word due to the accent. I've never pronounced it HurriCUN. Of course I've lived in WV since 1998 and still get "the eye" when people hear me talk and the common phrases like "you ain't from around here are you"? Which is always with the look of disapproval or untrusting stare.
07-17-2014 11:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-17-2014 11:48 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  I've lived in WV since 1998 and still get "the eye" when people hear me talk and the common phrases like "you ain't from around here are you"? Which is always with the look of disapproval or untrusting stare.

You ain't frum here. You is from Illinois.

And that's 1 word I avoid is "Ain't". When I was in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade, we were taught "Ain't, Ain't a Word". At that time it wasn't in the dictionary. And I think the word is a "Lazy" word.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014 12:13 AM by HerdZoned.)
07-18-2014 12:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.