RE: $1 Billion Campaign for UAB hits halfway mark
Outstanding, well done UAB.
07-16-2014 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Awesome. Now tell the BOT it takes less than 10% of that new build a new OCS. Tell them to jump off a bridge too while you're at.
07-16-2014 01:45 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-16-2014 01:17 PM)Smaug Wrote:  https://uab.edu/give/campaign/component/...lfway-mark

(07-16-2014 01:45 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Awesome. Now tell the BOT it takes less than 10% of that new build a new OCS. Tell them to jump off a bridge too while you're at.

Its too bad but the Board of Trustees has made it abundantly clear that they will not allow UAB to advance any further in sports. They and other Alabama folks are supporting UAB academics full force but there is no intentions of letting the sports programs in that state proliferate like Louisiana where you have at least eight universities in the university system alone trying to vie for limited resources.
07-16-2014 03:33 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
So, anyway. I thought this was pretty exciting as an alum and someone who lives in the metro.
07-16-2014 04:05 PM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(07-16-2014 04:05 PM)Smaug Wrote:  So, anyway. I thought this was pretty exciting as an alum and someone who lives in the metro.

Absolutely!
07-16-2014 04:10 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(07-16-2014 03:33 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 01:17 PM)Smaug Wrote:  https://uab.edu/give/campaign/component/...lfway-mark

(07-16-2014 01:45 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Awesome. Now tell the BOT it takes less than 10% of that new build a new OCS. Tell them to jump off a bridge too while you're at.

Its too bad but the Board of Trustees has made it abundantly clear that they will not allow UAB to advance any further in sports. They and other Alabama folks are supporting UAB academics full force but there is no intentions of letting the sports programs in that state proliferate like Louisiana where you have at least eight universities in the university system alone trying to vie for limited resources.

I agree. Louisiana should do like Mississippi does and funnel most of the money it spends on public higher education to its two Tier I institutions LSU and La Tech like Mississippi does with Miss St and Ole Miss.
07-18-2014 11:16 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
A portion will go to Athletics. There are announcements coming on some facilities. No OCS though. Not yet anyway.
07-18-2014 11:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Impressive! I'd think this is the largest capital campaign program in C-USA currently, and so far raising $500 millions speaks for itself. Congrats UAB!
07-18-2014 01:25 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-18-2014 11:11 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  

I agree. Louisiana should funnel most of the money it spends on public higher education to its Tier I institutions LSU and La Tech, like Mississippi does with Miss St and Ole Miss.

Do you have or can you direct us to any numbers that confirms your statement that the Mississippi legislature spends more money on Ms State and Ole Miss due to a Tier 1 rating? They use a formula that has been in place that has nothing to do with some magazine rating. Louisiana, as you say, does not rely on the classifications either as LSU, SE La U, UL Lafayette, and U of New Orleans all have larger budgets than La Tech.
07-18-2014 04:57 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

(07-18-2014 04:57 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  

I agree. Louisiana should funnel most of the money it spends on public higher education to its Tier I institutions LSU and La Tech, like Mississippi does with Miss St and Ole Miss.

Do you have or can you direct us to any numbers that confirms your statement that the Mississippi legislature spends more money on Ms State and Ole Miss due to a Tier 1 rating? They use a formula that has been in place that has nothing to do with some magazine rating. Louisiana, as you say, does not rely on the classifications either as LSU, SE La U, UL Lafayette, and U of New Orleans all have larger budgets than La Tech.
No. I, unlike you, am not preoccupied with universities that I did not attend. The fact is that LSU and La Tech are the only Tier I public universities in Louisiana. The only people you ever hear dismissing US News & World Report rankings are those that didn't make the cut. Like you.
07-18-2014 05:49 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-18-2014 05:49 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  

No. I, unlike you, am not preoccupied with universities that I did not attend. The fact is that LSU and La Tech are the only Tier I public universities in Louisiana. The only people you ever hear dismissing US News & World Report rankings are those that didn't make the cut. Like you.
So, what you are saying, is you had absolutely nothing on which to base your statement other than it was your opinion. If your opinion then why not tell us that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. My opinion is that the US News & World Report rankings are nothing but a pile of crap. USM was always ranked until their pres fired a couple of tenured professors for disloyalty, etc and then the crap hit the fan in that now the other professors, nationwide, condemn the university for the fact the pres had the balls to do that. They now disparage the university in their votes, a part or the evaluation process, so USM is now on their s### list. Sorta like the governor of Wisconson, , ask any state unionized employee what they think of him and you will find him to be crap. That's why usm lost their ranking but who gives a crap, that ranking aint worth a cup of coffee. Fans of schools like La Tech who have nothing to relish just drool over those rankings and that's fine with me.
07-18-2014 08:33 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Wow.

How 'bout that UAB capital campaign? $500 million so far!

Somebody should start a thread about it.
07-19-2014 07:43 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

(07-18-2014 08:33 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  
(07-18-2014 05:49 PM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 03:33 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  Its too bad but the Board of Trustees has made it abundantly clear that they will not allow UAB to advance any further in sports. They and other Alabama folks are supporting UAB academics full force but there is no intentions of letting the sports programs in that state proliferate like Louisiana where you have at least eight universities in the university system alone trying to vie for limited resources.

So, what you are saying, is you had absolutely nothing on which to base your statement other than it was your opinion. If your opinion then why not tell us that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. My opinion is that the US News & World Report rankings are nothing but a pile of crap. USM was always ranked until their pres fired a couple of tenured professors for disloyalty, etc and then the crap hit the fan in that now the other professors, nationwide, condemn the university for the fact the pres had the balls to do that. They now disparage the university in their votes, a part or the evaluation process, so USM is now on their s### list. Sorta like the governor of Wisconson, , ask any state unionized employee what they think of him and you will find him to be crap. That's why usm lost their ranking but who gives a crap, that ranking aint worth a cup of coffee. Fans of schools like La Tech who have nothing to relish just drool over those rankings and that's fine with me.

If it was truly "fine with you", you wouldn't get so fired up about it. Losing that ranking didn't help USM's cause in realignment, whether you can admit it or not. And who in the heck gives a crap about what a bunch of unionized losers in Wisconsin think about anybody?
07-19-2014 08:26 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

(07-19-2014 07:43 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Wow.

How 'bout that UAB capital campaign? $500 million so far!

Somebody should start a thread about it.

That is truly impressive. Congratulations to you guys. With that kind of support, the future looks bright for UAB.
07-19-2014 08:30 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
Congrats Blazer fans, UAB alums, and Birmingham. All will benefit from the campaign.
07-20-2014 02:36 PM
Advertisement

Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
The results so far are incredibly impressive on their own, and the fact that you are shooting for $1 billion is incredible. Congratulations.

I was worried about taking this conversation off track but that has already been done so I will ask my question anyway. If UAB were to build a OCS would the state pay or help to pay for it? Is that the hurdle, that you cannot get the state funds approved? In NC state money cannot go for athletic facilities so I think we issued bonds to build our stadium, and raised money through FSLs and naming rights. I would think UAB could take the same approach, although the timing might be bad with your other campaign going on right now.

Anyway, good luck hitting your goal.
07-23-2014 08:53 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
Even if UAB were able to pay for the stadium itself, without outside help, would it still have to be approved by the University of Alabama system/regents? Would they approve it if such a scenario existed? Is money the problem here or is it that they simply don't want UAB to succeed in football for some reason?
07-23-2014 11:28 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(07-23-2014 08:53 AM)Nugget49er Wrote:  The results so far are incredibly impressive on their own, and the fact that you are shooting for $1 billion is incredible. Congratulations.

I was worried about taking this conversation off track but that has already been done so I will ask my question anyway. If UAB were to build a OCS would the state pay or help to pay for it? Is that the hurdle, that you cannot get the state funds approved? In NC state money cannot go for athletic facilities so I think we issued bonds to build our stadium, and raised money through FSLs and naming rights. I would think UAB could take the same approach, although the timing might be bad with your other campaign going on right now.

Anyway, good luck hitting your goal.

UAB put a conservative, revenue-positive proposal in front of the UA Board of Trustees (read: Tuscaloosa Country Club). It was yanked from the agenda without a vote or public hearing, in apparent violation of state open-meetings laws, but try to get a judge in THIS state to hear it.

They argued that it was fiscally irresponsible (while single-handedly resetting the market for coaches' salaries at our rural western sister campus). They argued this is their post facto rationalization for never bringing it to a vote.

UAB will play football on campus, but, to quote David Housel, "a few high-profile funerals will have to take place, first."

In an unrelated matter, Tuscaloosa just got BoT approval to renovate their baseball field for about 2/3 of what UAB's proposed stadium was to cost. Not build. Renovate.

The short answer is, the UA Board of Trustees put the kibosh on it.

I'm not sure how germane that is to this conversation, though. I hear some football facility needs will be addressed (and there are many) in this campaign, but if it includes an OCS, it's way, WAY under the radar.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 11:48 AM by Smaug.)
07-23-2014 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.