Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: STR and could be Tiger related....sigh
(07-08-2014 06:06 PM)eltigre Wrote:  UH Stadium Naming Rights Sold for 15 MIL

Dreamers, thinkers, .....

but but.... we are good in basketball and as we have been told by all our good miss and utk bball only fans the liberty bowl is just fine, just fine....for us.
07-08-2014 06:24 PM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Nice looking stadium.
07-08-2014 06:28 PM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(07-08-2014 06:24 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 06:06 PM)eltigre Wrote:  UH Stadium Naming Rights Sold for 15 MIL

Dreamers, thinkers, .....

but but.... we are good in basketball and as we have been told by all our good miss and utk bball only fans the liberty bowl is just fine, just fine....for us.

And...the $$$ is just not there
07-08-2014 06:38 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Ehh... 10 yrs/$15MM is not a lot of money at all. Actually a pretty big statement that UH football is small time.
07-08-2014 07:58 PM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(07-08-2014 07:58 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  Ehh... 10 yrs/$15MM is not a lot of money at all. Actually a pretty big statement that UH football is small time.

It's one of many revenue streams and a nice one at that.
07-08-2014 08:13 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
STR and could be Tiger related....sigh
(07-08-2014 07:58 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  Ehh... 10 yrs/$15MM is not a lot of money at all. Actually a pretty big statement that UH football is small time.

How about a brand new on campus stadium with no debt and it is the largest naming rights to date. Hurts to say that about them
07-08-2014 08:22 PM
biguofmfan Offline
Special Teams

Please do not get carried away with Houston's shiny new tin can. If Memphis goes this route, they will end up in the same place as Houston. That is, being left out of a super conference in the future.

Tiger fans who want this or any similar type of on-campus stadium are only interested in fan amenities and not what is in the best interest of the program moving forward. If Memphis wants to be in the Big 12 someday, then we are better off making comparisons with teams already in the Big 12 like Baylor or even Oklahoma, not Houston.

Memphis needs to either spend ~$200 - $350 million on Liberty Bowl improvements OR ~$400 million + on a new domed stadium either at the fairgrounds or downtown. 55K seat capacity minimum either way. Anything short of this and the University risks being left out of any super conference.

If lack of funds is allowed to be an excuse, then there is no point in even trying. If fans' short-term desires are put ahead of an aggressive master plan with long-term goals in mind, then no one can blame Fuente when he either fails here or leaves for any job marginally higher on the totem pole.

Most schools already in the Big 12 are looking for any excuse to invite Memphis and Cincinnati. Any last shred of doubt can be eliminated by making a statement that Memphis is serious. Bottom line, going the cheap route like Houston gives Texas another reason to say no. Making this mistake would be a disaster as we would go from being a basketball school to essentially a basketball-only school.

With that said, I am convinced that the new president, Bowen, and Fuente understand this and are willing to get us there with no expense spared. The future seems to be very bright, but it won't be if Memphians are afraid or lack the collective self-esteem to do what it takes and end up settling for something seemingly "good enough."
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 12:09 AM by biguofmfan.)
07-09-2014 12:07 AM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(07-09-2014 12:07 AM)biguofmfan Wrote:  Please do not get carried away with Houston's shiny new tin can. If Memphis goes this route, they will end up in the same place as Houston. That is, being left out of a super conference in the future.

Tiger fans who want this or any similar type of on-campus stadium are only interested in fan amenities and not what is in the best interest of the program moving forward. If Memphis wants to be in the Big 12 someday, then we are better off making comparisons with teams already in the Big 12 like Baylor or even Oklahoma, not Houston.

Memphis needs to either spend ~$200 - $350 million on Liberty Bowl improvements OR ~$400 million + on a new domed stadium either at the fairgrounds or downtown. 55K seat capacity minimum either way. Anything short of this and the University risks being left out of any super conference.

If lack of funds is allowed to be an excuse, then there is no point in even trying. If fans' short-term desires are put ahead of an aggressive master plan with long-term goals in mind, then no one can blame Fuente when he either fails here or leaves for any job marginally higher on the totem pole.

Most schools already in the Big 12 are looking for any excuse to invite Memphis and Cincinnati. Any last shred of doubt can be eliminated by making a statement that Memphis is serious. Bottom line, going the cheap route like Houston gives Texas another reason to say no. Making this mistake would be a disaster as we would go from being a basketball school to essentially a basketball-only school.

With that said, I am convinced that the new president, Bowen, and Fuente understand this and are willing to get us there with no expense spared. The future seems to be very bright, but it won't be if Memphians are afraid or lack the collective self-esteem to do what it takes and end up settling for something seemingly "good enough."

^^^THIS^^^--Years ago if we would have built a domed stadium at Shelby Farms, we would have an NFL Team as well. Make it big enough to make a difference.
07-09-2014 12:20 AM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

I wouldn't mind an OCS if it seated about 75,000 with luxury boxes. I'd also like to see an on campus arena that seated about 20,000.

Too bad we have only a 55,000 stadium at the fairgrounds and an 18,000 showcase downtown.

Never get big time with such piddling facilities.
07-09-2014 12:34 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
TDECU is a horrible letter cluster for a name for anything...just sayin.
07-09-2014 12:40 AM
Advertisement

TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
07-coffee3 OK, I am confused. (Not Unusual) Is that a new stadium or just their old stadium with a new name? I think it is their old stadium and if it is then it is not even comparable to the Liberty Bowl. I saw Houston play Memphis there and was not impressed with the stadium although I was impressed with the Tiger win that year.
07-09-2014 05:29 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

(07-08-2014 06:28 PM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  Nice looking stadium.

Wish it was ours.
07-09-2014 06:19 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-09-2014 05:29 AM)TIGERBUDDY Wrote:  07-coffee3 OK, I am confused. (Not Unusual) Is that a new stadium or just their old stadium with a new name? I think it is their old stadium and if it is then it is not even comparable to the Liberty Bowl. I saw Houston play Memphis there and was not impressed with the stadium although I was impressed with the Tiger win that year.

It's new, and on campus. The old stadium was torn down, b/c they played off campus this past season.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 07:01 AM by TripleA.)
07-09-2014 07:01 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame

Houston fans are saying it is the largest college football stadium naming deal in history, anywhere. Tweeted by at least one sportswriter, too, I think. Most college stadiums have no naming rights at all.
07-09-2014 07:04 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-09-2014 12:40 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  TDECU is a horrible letter cluster for a name for anything...just sayin.

Did you read the thread on the AAC forum? It's pretty funny.

One guy said, "TouchDown, ECU!"

Another said, "Was TD SMU taken?"

Houston fan said, "The Den Every Coog Uses."

And so on...
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 07:08 AM by TripleA.)
07-09-2014 07:07 AM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-09-2014 12:34 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  I wouldn't mind an OCS if it seated about 75,000 with luxury boxes. I'd also like to see an on campus arena that seated about 20,000.

Too bad we have only a 55,000 stadium at the fairgrounds and an 18,000 showcase downtown.

Never get big time with such piddling facilities.

Right - this is good news for Houston and the AAC. Not, somehow, bad news for us. Unless Houston and Memphis are the last two standing for the last Big 12 slot --- which isn't likely. And even then our facilities certainly compare well with most anything else the AAC offers.
07-09-2014 07:38 AM
RandyW_Class83 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Well, if we ever want to be up there in the same league as the major schools, we need to work harder to improve in all other sports besides Men's basketball. Our overall rating in the link below says it all.....

http://www.cbssports.com/general/best-in-college-sports
07-09-2014 08:04 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(07-09-2014 12:07 AM)biguofmfan Wrote:  Please do not get carried away with Houston's shiny new tin can. If Memphis goes this route, they will end up in the same place as Houston. That is, being left out of a super conference in the future.

I've seen the stadium in person. Obviously, it's not finished but to say it's a tin can is stupid and wrong. UCF's stadium is a tin can. This is going to be a really nice stadium.

Everything else in your post I couldn't give 2 ***** about.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 08:13 AM by aTxTIGER.)
07-09-2014 08:13 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

The two bolded statements ruin any credibility your statement has. TCU's stadium capacity is 40K, but they play a high level of FB. And by published reports from Big XII officials, Memphis is not close to being considered. And while other schools, namely Cincinnati, UConn, Houston, UCF & SMU as examples, are working hard both in terms of facilities and with making their FB program field competitive with the P5, we have no plans to upgrade our FB playing facilities - i.e., even vague OC stadium location considerations have been completely removed from the strategic long range plan .

Our university history is to give our facilities money to the city of Memphis who has shown a track record of abuse & neglect in terms of facilities dating back to the construction of Crump Stadium - and every major sports facility our university has used since. This lack of facilities kept our university from SEC consideration in the 60s-70s period when we were competitive on the field. Now we still have no facilities & we are not competitive & haven't been in years. And we still give alumni, especially out of the city alumni no reasons to visit the campus & it affects giving & continued association & attachment with the university (i.e., financial contributions). IMO we will not be considered for a P5 slot until we make the commitment to OC facilities.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 09:19 AM by Atlanta.)
07-09-2014 08:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.