Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Bowl Pool
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
AAC Bowl Pool
Don't know if this is new news, old news or no news, but I found it interesting while tooling around theamerican.org.

Quote:Beyond the access to the College Football Playoff, bowl affiliations from the 2014 to 2019 seasons are as follows. The first five bowls listed will be part of a pool from which the Conference will place its teams. Bowl games will be placed based on best fit for the Conference and its membership.

The five bowls comprising the pool are Birmingham, St. Petersburg, Miami Beach, Military, and Armed Forces/Hawaii. The G5 shared bowls and the Cure bowl round out the list. If the AAC displaces a team in the Miami Beach bowl, the replacement will come from the bottom tier as is happening in 2014.

Question - When can secondary agreements be activated? Once the pool is fulfilled...after all 8 (beg. in 2016) are fulfilled?

http://theamerican.org/sports/2014/4/21/...h=football
06-10-2014 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: AAC Bowl Pool
(06-10-2014 12:11 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Don't know if this is new news, old news or no news, but I found it interesting while tooling around theamerican.org.

Quote:Beyond the access to the College Football Playoff, bowl affiliations from the 2014 to 2019 seasons are as follows. The first five bowls listed will be part of a pool from which the Conference will place its teams. Bowl games will be placed based on best fit for the Conference and its membership.

The five bowls comprising the pool are Birmingham, St. Petersburg, Miami Beach, Military, and Armed Forces/Hawaii. The G5 shared bowls and the Cure bowl round out the list. If the AAC displaces a team in the Miami Beach bowl, the replacement will come from the bottom tier as is happening in 2014.

Question - When can secondary agreements be activated? Once the pool is fulfilled...after all 8 (beg. in 2016) are fulfilled?

In an interview Aresco said our agreement with the Liberty allows us to send our #1 or #2 if a slot comes open. So we apparently are able to opt out of some of our bowl commitments if certain opportunities open up. It could be the Liberty is the only opportunity like that, or perhaps there are more. Aresco called it "inside baseball" stuff in the interview and used that as an excuse to move off the topic fairly quickly. Frankly, I thought it was one of the more interesting parts of that interview. One question I'd love to see Aresco talk about is the exact details of our backup agreement with the Independence Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 12:29 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-10-2014 12:23 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(06-10-2014 12:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 12:11 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Don't know if this is new news, old news or no news, but I found it interesting while tooling around theamerican.org.

In an interview Aresco said our agreement with the Liberty allows us to send our #1 or #2 if a slot comes open. So we apparently are able to opt out of some of our bowl commitments if certain opportunities open up. It could be the Liberty is the only opportunity like that, or perhaps there are more. Aresco called it "inside baseball" stuff in the interview and used that as an excuse to move off the topic fairly quickly. Frankly, I thought it was one of the more interesting parts of that interview. One question I'd love to see Aresco talk about is the exact details of our backup agreement with the Independence Bowl.

Given that CUSA also has a backup agreement with the Independence Bowl and the fact that it's the last bowl pick for each the SEC and ACC (primary ties), my guess is that more likely than not, it will end up a AAC/CUSA bowl game more often than it will be a SEC/ACC game.
06-10-2014 01:17 PM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
The big concern is ending up in a situation where we have the opportunity to send someone to the Independence Bowl to play an SEC/ACC team, but have to pass on that opportunity because we're obligated to send someone to one of the G5 shared bowls to play a MAC/SBC team.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 01:46 PM by MechaKnight.)
06-10-2014 01:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-10-2014 01:45 PM)MechaKnight Wrote:  The big concern is ending up in a situation where we have the opportunity to send someone to the Independence Bowl to play an SEC/ACC team, but have to pass on that opportunity because we're obligated to send someone to one of the G5 shared bowls to play a MAC/SBC team.

A pure guess on my part---but I think we have an "out" for some of our bowl slots. I know for a fact we can get out of an exsting bowl tie as part of the Liberty Bowl backup deal. My guess is we can do the same for the Indy Bowl---otherwise, why on earth would we sign a Cure Bowl deal to play the Sunbelt when we know the Indy Bowl is likely to have a slot open virtually every year? Signing the Cure Bowl doesn't seem to line up with our stated goals, unless the option to slide to a more attractive option has been written into it and a number of our existing bowl contracts.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 02:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-10-2014 02:02 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(06-10-2014 01:45 PM)MechaKnight Wrote:  The big concern is ending up in a situation where we have the opportunity to send someone to the Independence Bowl to play an SEC/ACC team, but have to pass on that opportunity because we're obligated to send someone to one of the G5 shared bowls to play a MAC/SBC team.

Hopefully it is a similar deal to the Liberty Bowl where we can send a team there and not honor our other bowl commitments.
06-10-2014 02:04 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
My understanding is that the first 5 bowls MUST be filled before AAC can move on to filling Boca, Bahamas, Cure, etc. In other words, the first 5 are higher priority bowls (ie: co #1 bowls - champ will go to one of these if not in access bowl). If AAC has only 5 bowl eligible teams, they have to be placed in St Pete, Miami, Birmingham, Military and Armed Forces/Hawaii and the other bowls are out of luck. Cure, Bahamas, Boca, RL Carriers, are lower priority bowls for 6-6/7-5 teams.

I am hoping it also means that once the first five are filled, the AAC can fill the I Bowl and Liberty bowl before the Cure, bahamas, etc., but that is just a guess.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 02:20 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
06-10-2014 02:18 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-10-2014 02:18 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  My understanding is that the first 5 bowls MUST be filled before AAC can move on to filling Boca, Bahamas, Cure, etc. In other words, the first 5 are higher priority bowls (ie: co #1 bowls - champ will go to one of these if not in access bowl). If AAC has only 5 bowl eligible teams, they have to be placed in St Pete, Miami, Birmingham, Military and Armed Forces/Hawaii and the other bowls are out of luck. Cure, Bahamas, Boca, RL Carriers, are lower priority bowls for 6-6/7-5 teams.

I am hoping it also means that once the first five are filled, the AAC can fill the I Bowl and Liberty bowl before the Cure, bahamas, etc., but that is just a guess.

Aresco has already said that's not correct. If the Liberty Bowl had an opening, he stated our #1 or #2 would go there. We apparently have an out for at least one game (fact)---perhaps more (conjecture on my part).
06-10-2014 02:55 PM
Xbones Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina

Isn't the above American web page dated? ESPN: BYU vs American in Miami Beach Bowl and CUSA to the Bahamas Bowl
06-10-2014 03:05 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2014 02:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 02:18 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  My understanding is that the first 5 bowls MUST be filled before AAC can move on to filling Boca, Bahamas, Cure, etc. In other words, the first 5 are higher priority bowls (ie: co #1 bowls - champ will go to one of these if not in access bowl). If AAC has only 5 bowl eligible teams, they have to be placed in St Pete, Miami, Birmingham, Military and Armed Forces/Hawaii and the other bowls are out of luck. Cure, Bahamas, Boca, RL Carriers, are lower priority bowls for 6-6/7-5 teams.

Aresco has already said that's not correct. If the Liberty Bowl had an opening, he stated our #1 or #2 would go there. We apparently have an out for at least one game (fact)---perhaps more (conjecture on my part).

Yes, that may be a special case. I am talking gereralities. The Liberty isn't likely to happen very often. What I am saying is that the first 5 bowls are our highest profile bowls (above the Cure, Boca, Bahamas, and RL Carriers bowls) and must be filled first...unless the Liberty is somehow involved.
06-10-2014 03:18 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2014 03:05 PM)Xbones Wrote:  

Isn't the above American web page dated? ESPN: BYU vs American in Miami Beach Bowl and CUSA to the Bahamas Bowl

Yes, that page is outdated. Has not been updated with BYU in Miami.
06-10-2014 03:19 PM
Advertisement

PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American

Yeah, I saw that same interview where he said it was access then Liberty if they have an opening. Could be Independence falls after the 5 pooled bowls and not before but who knows. I don't think any details have been released regarding how that backup works especially since C-USA is also listed as a backup.

Could also be that it is similar to the Liberty/Birmingham arrangement from the last cycle. If we are in the Liberty and the Independence needs a team then they get the C-USA team. However if Liberty doesn't need a backup and Independence does then we go there and maybe C-USA takes the Cure/Baco/lesser bowl in our place.
06-10-2014 03:23 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I just don't see how the Liberty is ever going to have a team available, unless Aresco created some special provision to get AAC in once in a while. They aren't the lowest bowl in either the SEC's or B12's bowl pool, so they are likely to be filled, unless something really strange happens.
06-10-2014 03:27 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

(06-10-2014 03:23 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

Yeah, I saw that same interview where he said it was access then Liberty if they have an opening. Could be Independence falls after the 5 pooled bowls and not before but who knows. I don't think any details have been released regarding how that backup works especially since C-USA is also listed as a backup.

Could also be that it is similar to the Liberty/Birmingham arrangement from the last cycle. If we are in the Liberty and the Independence needs a team then they get the C-USA team. However if Liberty doesn't need a backup and Independence does then we go there and maybe C-USA takes the Cure/Baco/lesser bowl in our place.

I wondered about this too. It would be great if the AAC could somehow work into the Texas bowl rotation with the SEC/Big 12 as well. It is in the same tier as the Liberty, and I haven't seen any secondary agreements published for this bowl.
06-10-2014 03:48 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

(06-10-2014 03:19 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 03:05 PM)Xbones Wrote:  

Yes, that page is outdated. Has not been updated with BYU in Miami.

Yeah, the news to me is the pool. I knew the order wasn't set to allow for greater flexibility, but did not realize tiers exist. I wonder if the bottom tier works the same as the pool or if teams will be assigned in list order...poor Cure Bowl.
06-10-2014 03:55 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

Why did we even sign the cure bowl. Do we need 8 tie ins? And will this prevent us from sending team to the Advocare Bowl, or whatever it's called now, since SEC will only fill it 50% of time, if that. Sorry, but no one wants to play a Sun Belt team in a bowl, when half thier teams are recent FCS moveups.
06-10-2014 04:04 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(06-10-2014 04:04 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Why did we even sign the cure bowl. Do we need 8 tie ins? And will this prevent us from sending team to the Advocare Bowl, or whatever it's called now, since SEC will only fill it 50% of time, if that. Sorry, but no one wants to play a Sun Belt team in a bowl, when half thier teams are recent FCS moveups.

That's why I think there are "out" clauses in some of these bowl ties. I cant imagine why we would sign the Cure deal otherwise.
06-10-2014 04:37 PM
The Real LHS81 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
If it's Hugh Hefner's pool. . . I'm in.
06-10-2014 05:47 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(06-10-2014 03:27 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I just don't see how the Liberty is ever going to have a team available, unless Aresco created some special provision to get AAC in once in a while. They aren't the lowest bowl in either the SEC's or B12's bowl pool, so they are likely to be filled, unless something really strange happens.

If the SEC puts 3 teams in the 6 CFP bowls, they'd need 10 bowl-eligible teams to fill the 3 CFP spots, Cap One and the Belk/Music City/Gator/Tampa/Liberty/Houston pool. They won't always have 7 bowl-eligibles not counting CFP bowl teams.

I expected a complicated set of deals with the other power conferences to ensure that these bowls would always have power conference teams if the SEC was short, but maybe you guys get a break for once.
06-10-2014 09:02 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2014 09:02 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 03:27 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I just don't see how the Liberty is ever going to have a team available, unless Aresco created some special provision to get AAC in once in a while. They aren't the lowest bowl in either the SEC's or B12's bowl pool, so they are likely to be filled, unless something really strange happens.

If the SEC puts 3 teams in the 6 CFP bowls, they'd need 10 bowl-eligible teams to fill the 3 CFP spots, Cap One and the Belk/Music City/Gator/Tampa/Liberty/Houston pool. They won't always have 7 bowl-eligibles not counting CFP bowl teams.

I expected a complicated set of deals with the other power conferences to ensure that these bowls would always have power conference teams if the SEC was short, but maybe you guys get a break for once.

It's a long shot but I guess anything is possible.
06-10-2014 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.